shape
carat
color
clarity

One big solitaire, 5-stones or a haloed pear?

Which option will you choose and why?

• Total voters

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth I would do the pear if you have loved them that long! Also a pear halo with your budget will give you a lot of finger coverage!
This!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The CBI choices from HPD...

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10112 1.87 F SI1
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10046 2.05 G SI2

Not many as I’m not keen to go lower in size and color, and there aren’t so many diamonds closer to my budget... (as it is it looks like i’ll definitely go over the budget).

So what I’m thinking to do is...

- There is a local gem show at end-Jul that I plan to go. I will as usual go and have a look at pears...
- if I can manage some time off work (it’s been so hectic I wasn’t even able to take sick leave for my bad cold last week), I’ll also pop by a local super ideal store to have a look at cuts and shapes and colours again... and also maybe visit a local diamond dealer.
- I also happen to have a work trip to the US coming up and I’ll arrange to see some CBI diamonds at the nearest dealer during the trip...

IF I can’t find a great pear after all the above and am amazed by CBI diamonds, then CBI it is... and I’ll continue to save up and look out for a nice pear...

If I find that I’m cool with super ideals and would rather a bigger diamond than what I can afford at CBI, then ACA it is...

I could also wait a bit and build up my funds since this is really for my milestone birthday next year and there is still a while to go...

If I go for a solitaire, then rather than a normal halo, I’ll like this pretty setting I saw from Etsy (I think...am totally bad at remembering where I see stuff from) that’s sort of like a pretty flower (to me).

75BDBA46-C897-4417-A5DC-862CB6AFFB84.jpeg

So what do you think about the diamonds I’ve listed?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I like the pears you posted, but may I add one additional diamond for your consideration?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/2.03-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-5029464

Beautiful color and a lovely small (55%) table.

I love small tables on pears and ovals, as it gives them more of the lively, fiery nature characteristic of MRBs. I think that one of the main problems with pears and ovals is that most are cut with tables over 60%, and thus they have a very flat top. This flat top makes them look dull and two-dimensional.

From the video, this pear looks very lively. You would need to ask for an ASET to confirm light performance, but a pear with a small table may be a good compromise between the performance of a MRB and the unique look and shape of a pear. :) Also, the small table gives the diamond a better spread. If you look at he dimensions of this 2.03, it has almost the exact same spread as the 2.20 carat E/VS2 that you posted.

Thank you. I didn’t even consider D when I set the filters so I didn’t see this. Thought higher colours are totally out of budget haha. I’ll do a bit more reading about small tables in pears.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure you will get some brilliant pear options but if it doesn't work out and you do end up going for a round brilliant.... what about doing a pear halo right hand/cocktail ring with a colored stone?

I’m not a cocktails sort of person so am a bit reluctant to splurge on cocktail rings and most critically for some reason I’m super drawn to sugarloaf and cabs. So nice sugarloaf/cab blue sapphire, paraiba and star sapphire is on my wish list, not so much pear shaped coloured stones. Can’t explain why but just not really drawn to pear shaped coloured stones except for dangle earrings or pendants.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Ah thank you.

I’m not drawn to the eggy shape and to me vintage cut has this “hole” in the centre that drives me nuts... it’s like I can’t see anything else other than the hole in the diamond and it drives me nuts. :wall:

Do do appreciate you sharing the link, thanks again.

Like this gorgeous ring with amazing finger coverage? I can’t get past the hole in the centre of the diamond... when I see rings like this I almost hate myself for not liking cushions and ovals and old cuts.
B56568B5-235A-46DD-8DE5-19293463A551.jpeg

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t want to wade into the CBI vs ACA debate (I think I read all the comparison threads) but I thought long and hard about it and if I get an ACA, a part of me will always wonder if I missed out on a more sparkly diamond and the diamond geek in me will go crazy... I know ACAs are fabulous and I can get a bigger stone with the same budget but it’ll always be a niggling thought you know?

@icy_jade Hi! I feel the exact same way as you about super ideals! Without getting into a CBI vs ACA debate either, I wanted to share with you some additional info on CBIs that I did not find on this forum.

I am looking at upgrading my earrings and working with @LaylaR from HPD who is helping me find diamonds. A few things she shared with me that I thought it might be helpful to share with you as well.

More in-depth explanation on the CBI cut and sparkle (this text was written to me as a response to my questions on CBI):
Crafted by Infinity are only cut to the specific performance-formula based on (1) critical angles for total light return intensity (2) dedication to increasing compound mirror integrity for unbroken internal mirrors and greater visual fire, and (3) completely identical performance, diamond to diamond. This permits their showroom dealers to sell any distant CBI based on the one in their hands; as every diamond is an identical performance twin to the next and the next. The superior fire that’s a big part of CBI’s visual advantage is because they’re dedicated to crafting with a goal of unbroken internal compound mirrors - which produce larger spectral fans (bands of dispersion) that your pupils detect as vivid bursts of color. And that’s why it really makes no difference which Crafted by Infinity you pair with another.

Every facet and facet group on a CBI diamond is calibrated with precision against the others and is reliant on the others. Clearly, as you’ve spent time on Pricescope you can appreciate that a table angle of X has implications for pavilion angle Y (etc). But the lab doesn’t report every set of numbers (not even most of them), those they do report are averages and those averages are subject to scan-error. For example, the upper girdle facet specifications are not represented on the report at all. They’re critical to on the makeup of the crown as a whole and have a huge impact on the performance, and the details of upper girdles, bezels, stars and table considered together determine much about compound mirror integrity, so they get balanced precisely with the makeup of the pavilion, which also occurs purposefully. In short, what CBI is doing is far more precise and diamond-specific than generalized numbers on a lab report. This is key to the consistency you hear about the brand and why the diamonds appear larger, whiter, and brighter than any of our competitors. And it’s our “secret sauce,” those internal mirrors. Most cutters don’t have that even on their radar, let alone have the training to cut a diamond with that precision.

That detailed explanation makes total sense and it is the facet and angles against the other facets and angles which gives is that precision.

With that in mind, I am getting some stones sent to a dealer with different color grades. This is to help me look at CBI stones and also see my color tolerance. My guess is the super sparkle will be the same in both stones, so it's more a matter of clarity and color.

As FYI, if you cannot find the stone you want, HPD will be glad to custom cut one for you. I spoke to @LaylaR about this option should we need to go down this path (I need two stones for earrings) and it seems relatively painless. I think @cflutist (the queen of CBIs) also did a custom stone and she was very pleased.

I hope the information above was helpful as I found this detailed explanation to be the best answer to the "secret sauce" everyone talks about.

skydiamond88

Rough_Rock
@icy_jade I would vote for the pear option since you've been in love with its shape for the longest time and it has a larger fing a round.

But if you want to go with the round, I would vote for the 2.05 G SI2 from CBI. It's larger than the 1.87 F SI1 and you can actually see the video through AGS website by entering the certificate number for verification. The 2.05 looks cleaner than the 1.87 in my opinion.

Last edited:

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to think that I wanted a pear with a 1.5 ratio. I did not like an antique cut because of the hole in the center even though I had never seen one in person. I now own an antique pear with a tiny puffy crown. The hole in the center doesn't bother me at all. If you see one in person and the hole still bothers you then consider choosing a setting with a white gold or platinum cup. MY pear has a completely different sparkle than a MRB. The face of it changes constantly like clouds moving across the sky and it comes alive in low light conditions.
I agree with OP who suggested trying shapes on for size. I have short tapering fingers and a fatter pear was more flattering for me than the longer ratio pears.
If you try an antique cut but still like the look of a modern pear then I think @TreeScientist' pick is incredibly lovely and worth investigating further.
Enjoy the journey choosing your next diamond.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
East west the pear!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3.01 F-SI1 pear and my cut to order 2.21 F-SI1 CBI (now in 3-stone ring)

20171014_193052.jpg

2.21 F-SI1 CBI and
2.79 F-VS1 CBI

20171011_150619.jpg

The 2.21 is now in a 3-stone ring with two .53s F-VS1/2

Img3627.jpg

Wow! Those rounds are gorgeous! They all look so “precise” sparkly for lack of a better word. Thanks for posting!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
3.01 F-SI1 pear and my cut to order 2.21 F-SI1 CBI (now in 3-stone ring)

20171014_193052.jpg

2.21 F-SI1 CBI and
2.79 F-VS1 CBI

20171011_150619.jpg

The 2.21 is now in a 3-stone ring with two .53s F-VS1/2

Img3627.jpg

Goals!! Ok, maybe dreams lol, but seriously gorgeous.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I used to think that I wanted a pear with a 1.5 ratio. I did not like an antique cut because of the hole in the center even though I had never seen one in person. I now own an antique pear with a tiny puffy crown. The hole in the center doesn't bother me at all. If you see one in person and the hole still bothers you then consider choosing a setting with a white gold or platinum cup. MY pear has a completely different sparkle than a MRB. The face of it changes constantly like clouds moving across the sky and it comes alive in low light conditions.
I agree with OP who suggested trying shapes on for size. I have short tapering fingers and a fatter pear was more flattering for me than the longer ratio pears.
If you try an antique cut but still like the look of a modern pear then I think @TreeScientist' pick is incredibly lovely and worth investigating further.
Enjoy the journey choosing your next diamond.

I’ll see if I come across any antique cut diamonds when I’m in the US. Also considering getting a CZ pear ring for “trial”...

Thanks! Appreciate all well wishes. :)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok so I decided to pop by JannPaul to have a look at their diamonds. It was a very spur of the moment no appointment made thing.

Anyway I did a blind color test and was all over the place under the spotlight. I looked at F, G, H and K as I and J were not available. Anyway K was pretty obvious so that was immediately out.

Like I said, under the spot light I couldn’t tell. But under fluorescent light away from spot lights, the yellowish tinge in H was obvious. It wasn’t like disturbingly obvious but if I’m spending so much time with one diamond I think I will notice. So down to G and F and I couldn’t really tell immediately. Side by side after some examination yeah but it wasn’t like the tinge is so obvious I think it’ll bother me.

Then I looked at two G diamonds, one a not well cut triple excellent (I think but I forgot to copy the cert numbers) with strong blue fluroscence and a JP super ideal (JP). The JP one faced up bigger (0.1+mm) and looked brighter/whiter. But the price is also like 30% more. Obviously the non JP one is cheaper due to the strong fluroscence but the thing is this... I actually really love how it looks under UV light! Like really really love it. :love: So much so that I’m wondering if CBI have diamonds with strong fluorescence that don’t affect performance/cause haziness etc.

Anyway, I couldn’t really compare price wise as was told that all their super ideals are VS and higher clarity. I think lower clarity is only upon request?

But since I’m going to the US, I will look at a CBI and see if I can see the high contrast look that PS-era have spoken about. If it’s not like so obvious to me then maybe I should go for ACA (bigger stone) or JP (since I can see the stone before I buy).

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I also looked at pears but the store only had two smallish pears around 1 carat. Anyway I still tried them on and yeah I like pears in halos. N split shanks are good.

E8A23845-29CA-4893-8699-F5F29F481D9B.jpeg 99B6C039-2AA8-4E6F-8F10-5AD3278DE233.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok still obsessing over round or pear so I might as well record it here...

1 carat pear vs 2 carat pear
08B37FDC-F822-4B76-82F9-29C34CFA3087.jpeg

2 carat round vs 2 carat pear
F0B97A3A-EEE8-421A-A199-BFC60D90B508.jpeg

Think what it boils down to is whether I see a nice diamond in round or pear first...

But since pears are so hard to come by irl, chances are I’ll be getting a round. Just not comfy getting a pear online. Returns are tough since I’m not in the US...

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Those pear rings look gorgeous on your lovely hand! Gosh, if those stones are "only" one carat, I can't imagine how huge two carats is going to look :kiss2:

I know it's tough if you're not willing to buy online, but if at all possible I'd suggest holding off on making a decision until you see a pear stone in person in the size you want. That might make all the difference, especially since you've loved that pear setting for so long!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Those pear rings look gorgeous on your lovely hand! Gosh, if those stones are "only" one carat, I can't imagine how huge two carats is going to look :kiss2:

I know it's tough if you're not willing to buy online, but if at all possible I'd suggest holding off on making a decision until you see a pear stone in person in the size you want. That might make all the difference, especially since you've loved that pear setting for so long!

I’ve looked on and off for two years. I don’t think I can wait much longer... :(2

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade Hi! I feel the exact same way as you about super ideals! Without getting into a CBI vs ACA debate either, I wanted to share with you some additional info on CBIs that I did not find on this forum.

I am looking at upgrading my earrings and working with @LaylaR from HPD who is helping me find diamonds. A few things she shared with me that I thought it might be helpful to share with you as well.

More in-depth explanation on the CBI cut and sparkle (this text was written to me as a response to my questions on CBI):
Crafted by Infinity are only cut to the specific performance-formula based on (1) critical angles for total light return intensity (2) dedication to increasing compound mirror integrity for unbroken internal mirrors and greater visual fire, and (3) completely identical performance, diamond to diamond. This permits their showroom dealers to sell any distant CBI based on the one in their hands; as every diamond is an identical performance twin to the next and the next. The superior fire that’s a big part of CBI’s visual advantage is because they’re dedicated to crafting with a goal of unbroken internal compound mirrors - which produce larger spectral fans (bands of dispersion) that your pupils detect as vivid bursts of color. And that’s why it really makes no difference which Crafted by Infinity you pair with another.

Every facet and facet group on a CBI diamond is calibrated with precision against the others and is reliant on the others. Clearly, as you’ve spent time on Pricescope you can appreciate that a table angle of X has implications for pavilion angle Y (etc). But the lab doesn’t report every set of numbers (not even most of them), those they do report are averages and those averages are subject to scan-error. For example, the upper girdle facet specifications are not represented on the report at all. They’re critical to on the makeup of the crown as a whole and have a huge impact on the performance, and the details of upper girdles, bezels, stars and table considered together determine much about compound mirror integrity, so they get balanced precisely with the makeup of the pavilion, which also occurs purposefully. In short, what CBI is doing is far more precise and diamond-specific than generalized numbers on a lab report. This is key to the consistency you hear about the brand and why the diamonds appear larger, whiter, and brighter than any of our competitors. And it’s our “secret sauce,” those internal mirrors. Most cutters don’t have that even on their radar, let alone have the training to cut a diamond with that precision.

That detailed explanation makes total sense and it is the facet and angles against the other facets and angles which gives is that precision.

With that in mind, I am getting some stones sent to a dealer with different color grades. This is to help me look at CBI stones and also see my color tolerance. My guess is the super sparkle will be the same in both stones, so it's more a matter of clarity and color.

As FYI, if you cannot find the stone you want, HPD will be glad to custom cut one for you. I spoke to @LaylaR about this option should we need to go down this path (I need two stones for earrings) and it seems relatively painless. I think @cflutist (the queen of CBIs) also did a custom stone and she was very pleased.

I hope the information above was helpful as I found this detailed explanation to be the best answer to the "secret sauce" everyone talks about.

Thanks for sharing this! It does seem to be the best explanation to secret sauce. Layla is also helping me with my stone. Ideally I would like to view n bring my stone back in person... but as an added complication I would now love a strong blue fluoro stone... it never ends... :roll

Just curious what size are you looking for earrings in? Do you already have a thread for them?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade I would vote for the pear option since you've been in love with its shape for the longest time and it has a larger fing a round.

But if you want to go with the round, I would vote for the 2.05 G SI2 from CBI. It's larger than the 1.87 F SI1 and you can actually see the video through AGS website by entering the certificate number for verification. The 2.05 looks cleaner than the 1.87 in my opinion.

Sorry I missed your reply earlier. In my defence I was blinded by @cflutist diamonds and who can blame me :P2

I just figured how to view the video and it’s helpful so thanks a lot.

Madsal

Rough_Rock
I'd vote for the pear with blue fluoro. You have a pair of eagle eyes I am not sure if any SI stone would pass your definition of an eye clean stone

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing this! It does seem to be the best explanation to secret sauce. Layla is also helping me with my stone. Ideally I would like to view n bring my stone back in person... but as an added complication I would now love a strong blue fluoro stone... it never ends... :roll

Just curious what size are you looking for earrings in? Do you already have a thread for them?

Hi! I already have HOF 2ctw earrings, and I am upgrading to 3ctw (I think).
The "I Think" part...So, my original idea was to upgrade to 4ctw earrings, but I tried on a pair at a local jewelry store and thought they were way to blingy for me. I decided on 3ctw as that was in the middle. I have never tried on a pair of 3ctw earrings though. I am working with Layla on a 3ctw pair, and I was mentioning it to my husband yesterday, and he said you won't be able to tell much difference in a 1.0ct stone vs. a 1.5ct stone, so he says to get the 2.0ct stones. Sigh... now he has me second guessing the size.

First though, I am going to look at the 1.5ct stones and compare color. Once I decide on color, I'll then work on size. The size is bugging me now though since my husband brought it up as I thought for sure I would get the 3ctw.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'd vote for the pear with blue fluoro. You have a pair of eagle eyes I am not sure if any SI stone would pass your definition of an eye clean stone

I’m getting a video on my shortlisted stone so let’s see...

Also I’m approaching the age where presbyopia is a looming thing so maybe inclusions won’t matter so much in a few more years lol since I can’t see them any more... :cool2: definitely don’t think my eyesight is as good as say 10 years ago.​

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The "I Think" part...So, my original idea was to upgrade to 4ctw earrings, but I tried on a pair at a local jewelry store and thought they were way to blingy for me. I decided on 3ctw as that was in the middle. I have never tried on a pair of 3ctw earrings though. I am working with Layla on a 3ctw pair, and I was mentioning it to my husband yesterday, and he said you won't be able to tell much difference in a 1.0ct stone vs. a 1.5ct stone, so he says to get the 2.0ct stones. Sigh... now he has me second guessing the size.

First though, I am going to look at the 1.5ct stones and compare color. Once I decide on color, I'll then work on size. The size is bugging me now though since my husband brought it up as I thought for sure I would get the 3ctw.

Oh 1.5 ct is visibly different. I know because I bought czs from amazon in 2 ctw and 3 ctw sizes. I really liked the 3 ctw size/look. Didn’t get the 4 ctw cz as I thought is too obviously fake but if it’s for trial and to help you decide, maybe is worth getting both the 3 and 4 ctw. They are really affordable and make pretty good travel earrings.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015MSD2O/

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’ve been a pear shaped diamond lover for years, ever since I saw a gorgeous pear with halo and stunning pave basket underside on PS. Unfortunately I can’t find the original thread though I’ve tried many times over the years. Anyway so over the years I’ve always wanted a nice pear in a similar setting but was never really in a position to get one until recent years.

Ok I think I found the pear that started my love affair with pears.
It’s... drumroll... the legendary @Phoenix 3.5 carat, H SI2 pear diamond ring with the beautiful halos and diamonds every where, even the basket.
111C5A84-1786-443A-9155-1243F1315066.jpeg 5BAA58CF-0322-4913-ADB9-5BFC2D2027F2.jpeg
6FADF032-CCD0-4F5B-BDCF-22ACDA8954F4.jpeg
449CF95A-8931-471A-A184-3E2B7DDF6812.jpeg

The timing makes sense. Notice when I joined PS? That was after she first posted her ring and I recall joining as I wanted a closer look at the pics :lol:

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you find a pear, pay more attention to the length and with measurements than to the carat size. My pear is 1.36cts but only measures 8 x6mm so faces up like a 1 carat.
Wanted to mention that brian Gavin Diamond in Houston, TX has a range of super ideal , blue fluoro diamonds and sells as a brick and mortar store and online.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In another thread you explained that you personally don’t enjoy the very-symmetric, very-binary, very-strong contrast that superideal RBs show - may I ask why you’re targetting CBI stones for your new earrings? Is there something about CBIs specifically that your eyes appreciate compared to your HoF stones?

I’m very curious to hear more about this, if you are willing to share - it is doesn’t match my understanding of your preferences ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results