shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you compare AV moiss. to Amora Gems moiss.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you say the AV moissanite is equal in quality to the Amora? Is there any moissy better than AV moissanite?

Thinking about doing a travel ring and if I'm going to do moissy, I'd like it to be as good as possible.

And has anyone seen the AV moissy round brilliants? Your thoughts?

Thanks ladies!

SporkingQueen

Rough_Rock
I would like to know, too.

@Rhino Can you please explain the differences between your brand of Moissanite and BTD's Amora?

(I purchased an AVC moissy from AVI strictly based on his reputation and his customer service. So far I've been happy with my stone.)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 I ADORE your ring! It's gorgeous, and the moissy looks incredible.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 do you ever see any double refraction with the moissy? Does it look truly diamond-like? Your ring is glorious!
I have moissy rose cuts which look amazing in almost every light but occasionally look a bit odd which I can’t tell if it’s the rose cut or the moissy. I would love a big OEC or OMC in moissy if it looks like diamond

Q

Queenie60

@Queenie60 do you ever see any double refraction with the moissy? Does it look truly diamond-like? Your ring is glorious!
I have moissy rose cuts which look amazing in almost every light but occasionally look a bit odd which I can’t tell if it’s the rose cut or the moissy. I would love a big OEC or OMC in moissy if it looks like diamond
Hi foxinsox: Sorry but I don't know what "double refraction" means. I'm a bit uneducated when it comes to diamond details. However, it looks very diamond like. I enjoy wearing it and find myself forgetting that it's a moissy and not a diamond. Very beautiful stone.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi foxinsox: Sorry but I don't know what "double refraction" means. I'm a bit uneducated when it comes to diamond details. However, it looks very diamond like. I enjoy wearing it and find myself forgetting that it's a moissy and not a diamond. Very beautiful stone.
Oh! Sorry - moissanite is doubly refractive which looks sorta like blurry facets when you see it. The AV range is apparently cut to minimise this so I’m super curious to see how effective that is. I sometimes think I see it in my rose cuts but since I don’t have diamond versions to compare them to, I don’t know whether I’m seeing a rose cut thing or a moissanite thing.
I love how the AV moissies look and also the ones LAD cut too so might just have to take a chance! Your AVC is amazing and I love that setting

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
5FCBAA86-77EA-448E-82FC-B581F78AB6AC.jpeg 4F0B4478-973E-45B0-B295-B0D4530E1771.jpeg
Oh! Sorry - moissanite is doubly refractive which looks sorta like blurry facets when you see it. The AV range is apparently cut to minimise this so I’m super curious to see how effective that is. I sometimes think I see it in my rose cuts but since I don’t have diamond versions to compare them to, I don’t know whether I’m seeing a rose cut thing or a moissanite thing.
I love how the AV moissies look and also the ones LAD cut too so might just have to take a chance! Your AVC is amazing and I love that setting

*pic attachment fail*
Hi, I have an OEC (from China, so not AV) and it does go hazy/blurry in low light. I’m sitting in my darkish living room right now and it just looks like a round stone with little to no depth. Like, I can barely make out any facets. I’m trying to get a pic of what I’m talking about but it’s actually photographing pretty well in the low light. In reality, it’s not this crisp ‍♀️

Now, outside in the daylight it looks AMAZING. I wish it looked like that all the time.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my Harro OEC in low light.

IMG_7608.JPG

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 -

Could you pls tell me a little about how it performs indoors? Are the facets still nice and crisp? Is there good light return? Does it dark out?

Any info you can give me would be really helpful! Thanks!

Q

Queenie60

Hi Mrs. B - I'll take it out of the bank safe deposit box tomorrow. I tend to keep most of my jewels there for the time being - many robberies happening in my town, even when you have a substantial safe, they're finding ways of cracking them. The facets are quite crisp and the light return is fabulous. I don't seem to remember the ring to dark out. Jonathan @Rhino has a comparative video on his instagram, if I recall correctly - where he compares the diamond with the Moissy and they look very similar. I wear several real diamonds daily and this ring seems to hold it's own. Talk to Jonathan about your concerns, he's very helpful and honest. Hope this helps.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought an AVR moissy and ended up returning it. It was very beautiful (just like the diamonds) and I found the faceting to be crisp, didn’t really notice the double refraction. However the stone I ordered was an I/J color and it had a silvery grey body color which I didn’t love, but I don’t know if the higher colors are the same.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought an AVR moissy and ended up returning it. It was very beautiful (just like the diamonds) and I found the faceting to be crisp, didn’t really notice the double refraction. However the stone I ordered was an I/J color and it had a silvery grey body color which I didn’t love, but I don’t know if the higher colors are the same.

That certainly gives me pause! I'm assuming colorless means colorless, but it's something I would definitely want to check before I purchased. Thank you for the info, @leukolenos - that issue aside, it sounds quite encouraging.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That certainly gives me pause! I'm assuming colorless means colorless, but it's something I would definitely want to check before I purchased. Thank you for the info, @leukolenos - that issue aside, it sounds quite encouraging.
I am hoping that the colorless ones are, like you said- colorless! Before ordering I would just ask Jon for an upside down on a white sheet of paper picture. I know the grey issue wasn’t unique to me because a friend of mine also has one which has this, though I don’t think it was as pronounced as the one I viewed. Picture attached of the one I had ordered.
Another friend has one of his mrb moissies and I didn’t see grey in that one, but I have only seen it set and didn’t examine it closely.

I also viewed one from Erica- crystalline as can be, no grey. I saw some from Tianyu in China as well and they weren’t grey.
D073D38C-7B3E-4897-BA2E-B50EA1445990.jpeg

Q

Queenie60

FYI - I have oec moissy earrings from Erica, no grey at all, very, very white. May depend on the rough that they cut from?

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FYI - I have oec moissy earrings from Erica, no grey at all, very, very white. May depend on the rough that they cut from?

Since you have oec earrings from Erica and a moissy AVC ring, could you give me any feedback on which stones seem to have the least double refraction and the most diamond-like depth and crispness of faceting? I'm going to get one, and I have it narrowed down to either one of the moissy AVRs or one of Erica's OECs, but I'm stuck there on deciding which one....... :confused2: Any input would be most welcome!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I have a 10mm AV OEC moissanite sitting at DKJ! I haven't seen it yet, Jonathon sent it straight to DK. If you're in DKs shop, ask him to let you see it.
And then report right back to me! :appl:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b
Didn't know if you saw my response to your question. If you go to DKJ in the next few weeks, ask to see my AV OEC moissy. Then you can see one for yourself.

Christy

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b
Didn't know if you saw my response to your question. If you go to DKJ in the next few weeks, ask to see my AV OEC moissy. Then you can see one for yourself.

Christy

Hi @CHRISTY-DANIELLE -

My apologies for my slow reply. I currently have pneumonia and I'm not functioning at my best (or at all, really) at the moment.

I won' be out in LA between now and when I'm guessing yours will be set, but I'll enjoy seeing your end result! How are you having it set and when are you hoping to get it?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b I'm sorry you're sick! Rest & fluids! And take the antibiotics until they are gone! Nurse's orders. ;-)
I'm a bezel girl and a die hard art deco fan, so I'm getting a vintage style bezel, with leafy engraving. Poor David, these are the images I sent him. I know he'll make it work, though! 20180627_181744.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE -

This is beautiful! Are you an artist? And how did you get the diamond facets image so perfect?

Really lovely!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE OH MY GOODNESS! those pictures are amazing. Did you draw them up?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Oh, no, I'm not an artist! I'm an RN ;-)
I drew on DKs CADs to show him what I want. I just made them black and white to post here, cuz the real versions might be 20180626_095640.png a bit too crazy looking.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that makes sense! That is going to be one beautiful ring - please post pics when it’s done!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any updates on the AVR?

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
Oh, no, I'm not an artist! I'm an RN ;-)
I drew on DKs CADs to show him what I want. I just made them black and white to post here, cuz the real versions might be 20180626_095640.png a bit too crazy looking.

@CHRISTY-DANIELLE Any updates on your DK art deco ring? I am considering going a similar route (love art deco, and old cuts, and plan to work with DK), and I am eagerly awaiting pics / an update!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@glitterglitter > I got my plastic model last night! I am not 100% sure about the gallery, and I'm thinking about a couple minor changes. I am also waiting to get a band from DK that they are making for me custom ordered in gray gold. I think the gray gold has an antique look. 20180725_171435.jpg ( I might do this ring in gray gold, or platinum or palladium.) I'm going slow and trying to get this 100% like I want it. This is actually my 2nd ring project with them, the other was an engraved halo(no diamonds) with an OEC from Julia B.
I am thinking about doing a thread to get some input/help. I would especially like help from people who also love the vintage , deco style! I am trying for a big, bold deco bezel.

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
@glitterglitter > I got my plastic model last night! I am not 100% sure about the gallery, and I'm thinking about a couple minor changes. I am also waiting to get a band from DK that they are making for me custom ordered in gray gold. I think the gray gold has an antique look. 20180725_171435.jpg ( I might do this ring in gray gold, or platinum or palladium.) I'm going slow and trying to get this 100% like I want it. This is actually my 2nd ring project with them, the other was an engraved halo(no diamonds) with an OEC from Julia B.
I am thinking about doing a thread to get some input/help. I would especially like help from people who also love the vintage , deco style! I am trying for a big, bold deco bezel.
I would be glad to hop on that thread. Can you put my name in a comment so I know when you've done it? I'm not always super up to date with new posts... but I'd be glad to weigh in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results