Fragrance of the Day Thread

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Rive Gauche for me today. I forgot how strong this was :o

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, our power went out today, so to kill a little time somewhere with power and lights, I went to the maul. To putter and sniff perfume.

I was helped by a sweet 20 year old sales assistant, who worked me through some Creed stuff, some Tom Ford, then a bunch of Theirry Mugler. Just wafts on cards, mostly. But most of them didn't get my attention. I made it home with one Ford, forget which. I'll try it on skin tomorrow after my nasal passages heal up from the day. :shock:

I was trying to find a bottle to sniff, of the reformulation of Miss Dior Originale, which of course stumped the other sales woman, who kept insisting that the pink Miss Dior was all they have, and kept shoving pink flankers at me. I know they're trying to sell what the company says they should, but that level of ignorance is annoying, as were the perfumes she kept shoving at me.

Seriously you guys, help me out here: I can NOT stand pink perfumes. Pink seems to be a visual indicator of some note that makes me want to scrub my nostrils out with a bottle brush. I can't figure out if it's pink pepper, red berry, pomegranate, ?? But it's some modern now-ubiquitous note that sends me over the edge. Whatever it is, is heavy in Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming (barfing) and Versace Bright Crystal. It hits me as chemical-y, right at the open, and never completely goes away. Ghastly.

As for the Muglers, holy shnikes, but whatever the base of all those 'fumes is, is truly nauseating. I did not spray any of them on me, but somehow it's somewhere on me, and it's been trying to kill me since I got home. Alas, I'm too tired to run through the shower now, so dousing and fumigation will have to wait until morning. :(2:sick:

So overall disappointing, but I needed to kill an hour or so, since our power went out in a storm and I was bored and in the dark.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, our power went out today, so to kill a little time somewhere with power and lights, I went to the maul. To putter and sniff perfume.

I was helped by a sweet 20 year old sales assistant, who worked me through some Creed stuff, some Tom Ford, then a bunch of Theirry Mugler. Just wafts on cards, mostly. But most of them didn't get my attention. I made it home with one Ford, forget which. I'll try it on skin tomorrow after my nasal passages heal up from the day. :shock:

I was trying to find a bottle to sniff, of the reformulation of Miss Dior Originale, which of course stumped the other sales woman, who kept insisting that the pink Miss Dior was all they have, and kept shoving pink flankers at me. I know they're trying to sell what the company says they should, but that level of ignorance is annoying, as were the perfumes she kept shoving at me.

Seriously you guys, help me out here: I can NOT stand pink perfumes. Pink seems to be a visual indicator of some note that makes me want to scrub my nostrils out with a bottle brush. I can't figure out if it's pink pepper, red berry, pomegranate, ?? But it's some modern now-ubiquitous note that sends me over the edge. Whatever it is, is heavy in Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming (barfing) and Versace Bright Crystal. It hits me as chemical-y, right at the open, and never completely goes away. Ghastly.

As for the Muglers, holy shnikes, but whatever the base of all those 'fumes is, is truly nauseating. I did not spray any of them on me, but somehow it's somewhere on me, and it's been trying to kill me since I got home. Alas, I'm too tired to run through the shower now, so dousing and fumigation will have to wait until morning. :(2:sick:

So overall disappointing, but I needed to kill an hour or so, since our power went out in a storm and I was bored and in the dark.
I hope your power is back on and there weren't any other inconveniences for you...

I till can't get the image of a mini version of "The Alien " on your shoulder , trying to attack you out of my head. Popped right inro my head when I read your description (and almost snorted my coffee). It's so true of mm
Ost muglers. I can appreciate the novelty at the time, but its instant migraine in a bottle to me.
And I'm with you on the clueless SA s as well...:x2

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I "can't even" with the SAs...where do they find them??? It's like equivalent to walking into a mattress store.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the one SA was just lovely, but she was young and impressionable and exuberant. The other one was just a waste of time. Yes, a mattress store, or trying to find someone who knows something from shinola in a maul jewelry store. Definitely a recipe for frustration.

Kipari, there is something in that Mugler base that made me recoil, just like I did that 3rd and last time I smelled Ormonde Jayne Woman. Something in every Mugler she showed me reminded me strongly of something in Woman. I was like NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So maybe there really was an Alien on my shoulder, because some of that swill stuck to me somewhere and made me want to scrub. Which of course I did this morning, and now I'm back to my current love of Aliage. So green, so chock full of real oakmoss. I've come to the conclusion that I'm an oakmoss trollop. :sick::twisted2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On travel right now, so I couldn't bring everything :lol: So today I'm wearing Fan di Fendi eau Fraiche. Its a good travel perfume.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte... having the feeling it's going to get axed.. hard to come by these days.

Irks me they called it Cristalle eau verte. It's not greener than cristalle. If anything it's more floral....
Should have just given it a new name *rant over*

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you guys would be proud of me. Or think I'm nuts.

I went BACK to the maul the day before yesterday with a bunch of my vintages in sample-sized labeled decants, and gave them to the sweet 20 year old SA. She hugged me. Twice. :geek2:

She ended up with a trove of oldies: the No 5 (EDC & perfume), Arpege (EDT & perfume), a bit of the Joy, some Aliage, a couple 'o drops of the Miss Dior, and not an oldie, but just because she said she loved oud, some Killian Rose Oud. Oh, and notes about each one.

I was particularly pleased when she sniffed the little sample of Miss Dior and her eyes got big: "That doesn't smell ANYTHING like what we're selling now!!" Indeed. I gave her the AHA! moment. By giving her stuff that is she can compare to current versions, I told her that now she would know that when some oldster like me came in complaining that certain perfumes, or perfume in general, didn't smell like they remember, it's not just they're going senile, they really don't smell like they used to. This one is a true budding perfumista, unlike so many of the others, so I thought it would be good to give her some education that she can't get by working the current counters, before she has a chance to develop a bunch of silly misconceptions.

So, yesterday I wore the Tom Ford Soliel Blanc sample SHE gave me. My impression is...meh. It's got longevity, I'll give it that. But it reminds me of something in the back of my mind. I need to compare but it might be close enough to the HUUUUUGE bottle of Michael Kors White that my husband gave me some years ago. I don't wear it very often because....I don't know why. It's boring, mostly? Anyway, there is nothing memorable about TF's scent, and I'm not wasting money on something that doesn't grab me by the nostrils and say, "I'm memorable and unique so remember me, dammit!!"

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chanel beige today

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been alternating between Creed Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie and Samsara EDT. I guess I am craving the jasmine and sandalwood combo.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, you guys would be proud of me. Or think I'm nuts.

I went BACK to the maul the day before yesterday with a bunch of my vintages in sample-sized labeled decants, and gave them to the sweet 20 year old SA. She hugged me. Twice. :geek2:

She ended up with a trove of oldies: the No 5 (EDC & perfume), Arpege (EDT & perfume), a bit of the Joy, some Aliage, a couple 'o drops of the Miss Dior, and not an oldie, but just because she said she loved oud, some Killian Rose Oud. Oh, and notes about each one.

I was particularly pleased when she sniffed the little sample of Miss Dior and her eyes got big: "That doesn't smell ANYTHING like what we're selling now!!" Indeed. I gave her the AHA! moment. By giving her stuff that is she can compare to current versions, I told her that now she would know that when some oldster like me came in complaining that certain perfumes, or perfume in general, didn't smell like they remember, it's not just they're going senile, they really don't smell like they used to. This one is a true budding perfumista, unlike so many of the others, so I thought it would be good to give her some education that she can't get by working the current counters, before she has a chance to develop a bunch of silly misconceptions.

So, yesterday I wore the Tom Ford Soliel Blanc sample SHE gave me. My impression is...meh. It's got longevity, I'll give it that. But it reminds me of something in the back of my mind. I need to compare but it might be close enough to the HUUUUUGE bottle of Michael Kors White that my husband gave me some years ago. I don't wear it very often because....I don't know why. It's boring, mostly? Anyway, there is nothing memorable about TF's scent, and I'm not wasting money on something that doesn't grab me by the nostrils and say, "I'm memorable and unique so remember me, dammit!!"

I like how you spell "maul". lol

The issue here is that NO modern perfumes smell like the "good ole stuff". It's like comparing a modern cut diamond to a Golconda diamond. They're technically the same, but the new stuff is too tidy, and lack the character of the old.

I've not tried them, but Papillon gets great reviews, specifically Salome: http://papillonperfumery.co.uk/

They've been compared to classical structures.

I haven't been wearing much of anything lately. I tested Lutens' newest addition to this fancy-pants line called Bourreau des Fleurs (Flower Executioner). It smells mostly like syrupy immortelle. Who wants pancakes!?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The issue here is that NO modern perfumes smell like the "good ole stuff". It's like comparing a modern cut diamond to a Golconda diamond. They're technically the same, but the new stuff is too tidy, and lack the character of the old.

I've not tried them, but Papillon gets great reviews, specifically Salome: http://papillonperfumery.co.uk/

I haven't been wearing much of anything lately. I tested Lutens' newest addition to this fancy-pants line called Bourreau des Fleurs (Flower Executioner). It smells mostly like syrupy immortelle. Who wants pancakes!?

Well "maul" applies to both jewelry sales and I think, perfume sales, yes? ;))

Yeah, I read something some time ago that indicated that the traditional perfume pyramid was often not even being attempted with a lot of the new stuff, which is sad. I love effectively having 3, maybe 4, related perfumes on in one day.

When I think of perfumes of my acquaintance that are frustratingly simple, I think Jo Malone. Nice, but never go anywhere. And I'm not buying multiples just to get a decent level of complexity.

Shall look into Papillon. :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sadly true. There are a few that actually TRY though

Bogue is an interesting company I've tried a few of there's (one is now discontinued, hard to get, the other still available)

Maai is actually really...in the old style. A little weird but very good.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today chanel beige. I'm at the very end of this bottle (amazing!!) so I will use daily until it is gone. So glad I work at home because I can drench away and not feel guilty.:mrgreen::appl:

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well "maul" applies to both jewelry sales and I think, perfume sales, yes? ;))

Yeah, I read something some time ago that indicated that the traditional perfume pyramid was often not even being attempted with a lot of the new stuff, which is sad. I love effectively having 3, maybe 4, related perfumes on in one day.

When I think of perfumes of my acquaintance that are frustratingly simple, I think Jo Malone. Nice, but never go anywhere. And I'm not buying multiples just to get a decent level of complexity.

Shall look into Papillon. :)

Jo Malone is a sad brand (to me). They hire top notch perfumers (Christine Nagel being one), and basically tell them to create a watercolour - but only using 2 colours. They're dull and lifeless - for the set of women who want to buy perfume without actually having it make them smell any different.

That being sad - there are plenty of perfumes that fall into the "you, but better" category that I admire. So take all this with a grain of salt.

To counter all this, wearing MONTANA JUST ME PARFUM today. BAM. o_O This stuff gives Angel a run for its money.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Chanel 28 La Pausa for me today. I was once obsessed with this one - I've used half of the jug it comes in. Sadly I over-wore it and tired of it. Thought I would try to rekindle the flame. :boohoo:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SOTD: Montale Intense Tiare
I finally ordered Amouage Dia Woman after months of procrastination this morning. I should get it in a few weeks.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hit the motherlode. Went to buy a Fathers Day gift of fragrance and ended up with Francis Kurkdjian OUD Satin Mood. I love it!!!! Saks provided the best samples and gifts with purchase--I have enough gorgeous stuff to last me a year! Super customer service!!!!!!

This will be my next purchase--when I win the lotto! LOVED IT! Ex Nihilo

http://www.ex-nihilo-paris.com/perfumes/midnight-special.html

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Today is FK Baccarat Rouge 540. Not getting much outside of wood/dirt.

cheers--Sharon

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Chanel No 5 Sensual Elixir for me today - getting over the stomach flu, so this is all I can handle today. :sick:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chanel No 5 Sensual Elixir for me today - getting over the stomach flu, so this is all I can handle today. :sick:

oh wow, bless you and hope you feel better!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sample I received: FK Pluriel . Some lasting power, but, honestly, I have no idea what (scent) is first or...last.

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still fighting with a cough even though the cold is gone. I'll be glad when I no longer have to deal with this crap!

So some days I perfume myself and some days I don't. So yesterday I wore Shalimar Initial. I know, discontinued, but the more I wear it in summer, the more I like it. I don't like it during the winter and in summer, no cat pee smell (or maybe its just because I'm not exactly hormonal anymore either :shock:)

To continue the theme of sorts, today I'm wearing chanel Misia. I do like it a lot. Strangely I have a full bottle of lipstick rose and frankly I think I may like Misia a lot more (lipstick rose is very similar but has a more full on powder thing going on)

I guess my tastes are evolving.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just bought a HUGE tester bottle of Jaipur extrait. It's lovely stuff - after some sharp aldehydes/bergamot, a beautiful plum-apricot takes over and lasts and lasts. I've always wanted a bottle of this, but already own YSL Champagne (quite similar) and my mother wears Kenzo Kashaya (not miles away). Jaipur is getting harder and harder to find, so I dropped the $$$ now while I had the chance.

It's Pride weekend here in Toronto - something ridiculous like 1 million people will attend.
:angryfire::oops::lickout::lol-2:;)):wacko: (that's the best rainbow I could come up with).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

(sample) Ex Nihilo. Citizen X. Musk???? I'm out of my league....lol

cheers--Sharon

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's fun to read about everyone's preferences! I have not worn perfume in a few years as my co-worker cannot tolerate it! I actually prefer it and really notice any perfumes on others now.;)2

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ex Nihilo sample: Cologne 352. Really lovely. I get lemon and lily of the valley.:love:

cheers--Sharon

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Current obsession - Nomade by Chloe. It may seem like any other fruity floral on the wall at Sephora, but I urge everyone to try it anyway. It has a mineral-mossy quality (once the plums fade away) that differs from your typical offering. It also uses the latest lily-of-the-valley aromachemical, which I've not encountered yet in any other perfume.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm unperfumed today as I'm waiting for the mail... o_O;)2:whistle::lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results