shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this David Yurman Garnet ring overpriced?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty even though I do not care very much for checkerboard cut stones. Because it's a branded piece your mother will be paying for the brand name. If she chooses to re-sell it at some point that may make a difference in price to her favor. With that said, I did a search and actual sold pre-owned rings similar (not exact) of DY in 18k sell for about $800.

David Klass will be able to give you a quote and then you can go from there. :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would need to compare apples to apples. Basically this isn't just a garnet ring but a DY garnet ring. as a branded piece it tends to carry a certain "prestige" for those types of buyers.

Can you get cheaper? maybe but it won't be DY so there has to be a decision about whats really important.

Edit
And let me just state that I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a basic garnet ring. I don't do brands when it comes to jewelry mainly because of the issue of treatment disclosure.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s overpriced yes. Paying for brand name essentially...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Russian, there is a term loosely translated as "exhilaration" or "exaltation" and it refers to the process of making a star, including the financial part, the money invested. It is somewhat different from marketing because the implication is, you can exhilarate basically everything if you have enough money to put in.

Brands like DY are "exalted", meaning precisely this - how much money is invested in creating/sustaining a brand. When you pay $ 1800 for a ring that probably costs $700 on a good day, you are paying for the fact that David Yurman is not sold at JC Penney or Walmart, and you need to go to an upscale mall to find him.
At least, this ring is with a pyrope. I saw prasiolite rings at approximately the same price.

(Sigh...If I had the money to pay for a trade name, I'd go to Harrods and buy a ring or a bracelet by Glenn Spiro - they are so inventive).

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
is it worth the price? only if you want that brand. You can absolutely get a comparable quality ring for less.

coffeedonutcake

Rough_Rock
It's pretty even though I do not care very much for checkerboard cut stones. Because it's a branded piece your mother will be paying for the brand name. If she chooses to re-sell it at some point that may make a difference in price to her favor. With that said, I did a search and actual sold pre-owned rings similar (not exact) of DY in 18k sell for about $800.

David Klass will be able to give you a quote and then you can go from there. :)
Checkerboard pattern is not a must and my mom is definitely about the biggest bang for the buck!

Do you think DK can help source a stone? Or am I better off finding a red garnet on my own?

coffeedonutcake

Rough_Rock
You would need to compare apples to apples. Basically this isn't just a garnet ring but a DY garnet ring. as a branded piece it tends to carry a certain "prestige" for those types of buyers.

Can you get cheaper? maybe but it won't be DY so there has to be a decision about whats really important.

Edit
And let me just state that I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a basic garnet ring. I don't do brands when it comes to jewelry mainly because of the issue of treatment disclosure.
My mom doesn’t care about the brand name. She didn’t even know DY until she tried on the ring haha. she just likes how a large red garnet look in a gold setting.

coffeedonutcake

Rough_Rock
In Russian, there is a term loosely translated as "exhilaration" or "exaltation" and it refers to the process of making a star, including the financial part, the money invested. It is somewhat different from marketing because the implication is, you can exhilarate basically everything if you have enough money to put in.

Brands like DY are "exalted", meaning precisely this - how much money is invested in creating/sustaining a brand. When you pay $ 1800 for a ring that probably costs $700 on a good day, you are paying for the fact that David Yurman is not sold at JC Penney or Walmart, and you need to go to an upscale mall to find him.
At least, this ring is with a pyrope. I saw prasiolite rings at approximately the same price.

(Sigh...If I had the money to pay for a trade name, I'd go to Harrods and buy a ring or a bracelet by Glenn Spiro - they are so inventive).
It’d be really like if she can re-create a similar ring for under 1k! Do you know any good vendor for a pyrope garnet?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@coffeedonutcake -Start a thread asking for help finding a garnet for your mother. Give your mother's preferences in color, size and a ballpark budget. Email David Klass and ask him for a ballpark price on creating a similar setting and you could ask him about sourcing the stone.

Also- on the pre-loved forum you can start a thread with want to buy (example- WTB 10 mm cushion pyrope garnet) and see if any members have an unset garnet they may be willing to sell.

Good luck! :)

coffeedonutcake

Rough_Rock
@coffeedonutcake -Start a thread asking for help finding a garnet for your mother. Give your mother's preferences in color, size and a ballpark budget. Email David Klass and ask him for a ballpark price on creating a similar setting and you could ask him about sourcing the stone.

Also- on the pre-loved forum you can start a thread with want to buy (example- WTB 10 mm cushion pyrope garnet) and see if any members have an unset garnet they may be willing to sell.

Good luck! :)
Thank you @LisaRN !!! This is super helpful!!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
It’d be really like if she can re-create a similar ring for under 1k! Do you know any good vendor for a pyrope garnet?

Pyrope garnets are inexpensive and not rare (unlike tsavorite, spess, demantoid, etc). I would ask the jeweller to source one, it wouldn’t be hard at all unless you need a precision cut or are particular about color.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would guess you could have something similar made for no more than 1/2 the DY price. i got a similar garnet from master cut gems not that long ago, maybe they can help you find one. good luck!

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-23_23-38-33.png
    upload_2018-6-23_23-38-33.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 21

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Probably many, but the first person who came to my mind was Jeff Davies.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom doesn’t care about the brand name. She didn’t even know DY until she tried on the ring haha. she just likes how a large red garnet look in a gold setting.

Then cool, if she dosen't have to have the designer, you should be able to create something very similar for a bit less.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results