shape
carat
color
clarity

Gems and jewelry which you don’t like as much as you thought you would have.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those are nice scarab stones! I can see them either in oxidized silver or in purer gold with matte finish. Gives a feeling of antiquity,
Thank you! I actually really do like the stones. Your metal suggestions are spot on.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I looked at mine and it’s clearly gold plated. What exactly is a scarab bracelet? I figured it wasn’t worth much but now I’m curious about this type of bracelet and stones. Should I be liking it more than I do? :lol-2:
A scarab bracelet has stones carved in the likeness of a scarab beetle (the beetles that roll poop). Scarab carvings are from ancient Egyptian times, I believe. Mine has rhodonite, unakite, carnelian, black onyx (probably dyed), tiger’s eye, and blue chalcedony. I’m not sure what the milky white stone is (possibly moonstone). The green stone may be chrysoprase, but I’m not sure.

You should like your scarab bracelet more than you do, as should I. It’s a classic jewelry piece.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A scarab bracelet has stones carved in the likeness of a scarab beetle (the beetles that roll poop). Scarab carvings are from ancient Egyptian times, I believe. Mine has rhodonite, unakite, carnelian, black onyx (probably dyed), tiger’s eye, and blue chalcedony. I’m not sure what the milky white stone is (possibly moonstone). The green stone may be chrysoprase, but I’m not sure.

You should like your scarab bracelet more than you do, as should I. It’s a classic jewelry piece.

Oh! Thoooose beetles! Now I’m interested! :lol-2:

Here’s mine. I couldn’t even guess what stones are here.

E637F9C0-35DE-4088-ADDE-0689C0430868.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6E0EE734-600E-4AAF-B3D1-7359BF4DFAF6.jpeg
I love your peacocks, but Harvey jewelry is uncomfortable. I hate it that you were sold dyed howlite. I actually like natural howlite with the white body and pretty gray veining.

Thank you, @chatoyancy ! I really do love the peacocks....It took me forever to find earrings to wear with my gold filigree flower pendant. It was hard finding any. I’ll include a pic of some other contenders, but the peacocks were way more solidly made. Hadn’t considered the weight. I guess it’s because they really are quite large too. They are ok for just a few hours..and then the pain starts lol!

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
36441557-F1CF-4133-B9CE-E6E3D5C97DEF.jpeg 53DCFC3E-1B1B-4FCC-9C21-92BF6B640DC7.jpeg @chatoyancy , I was so upset about the fake turquoise! This was after I had negotiated her down by 500.

It’s funny you should say that you like howlite...,I actually really liked the heft and weight and look of the stones and the necklace. After I returned it, I found another one for $100, also vintage. It had a different blue, but same beads and length. I restrung it, made some earrings out of 4 of the beads, like on the other set.

I’m including 2 pics, one is of the fake first one..,.right after I got it, before I came to my senses..in the cream sweater.

Second one where I’m wearing the blue sweater was the cheap one before I restrung it. Got rid of those funky cone shaped beads. In other words, I replicated the look! I haven’t actually worn it more than once or twice.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chatoyancy , I really like your bracelet. I think it looks really good on you too.

Same thing with your’s, @LittleRed!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Seaglow , I can imagine what you mean. Though it’s gorgeous, compared with that glow, it might feel underwhelming.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 , I think I may have done the same thing...especially at that age! It really is a cool ring. I totally understand though the association with negative experiences being a turn off. Maybe you could ‘cleanse’ it and gift it to your daughter?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2565A8F1-CC2A-42BA-B267-4D0441B120C9.jpeg Ok now that I’m home, I can post an image of the restrung, 2nd dyed howlite necklace which I made, to replace the expensive howlite necklace with a cheap howlite necklace...

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 , I think I may have done the same thing...especially at that age! It really is a cool ring. I totally understand though the association with negative experiences being a turn off. Maybe you could ‘cleanse’ it and gift it to your daughter?
Don’t laugh but I made a point of wearing it today!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2565A8F1-CC2A-42BA-B267-4D0441B120C9.jpeg Ok now that I’m home, I can post an image of the restrung, 2nd dyed howlite necklace which I made, to replace the expensive howlite necklace with a cheap howlite necklace...
That’s pretty! I’ll bet you can spot the difference between turquoise and dyed howlite in a heartbeat now.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s pretty! I’ll bet you can spot the difference between turquoise and dyed howlite in a heartbeat now.
Thank you! Oh yes! the polish just isn’t there. The howlite has an interesting, Matt ‘dryness’ about it. I thought it a little odd that the vendors pics of the original were without a higher shine...but it was a ‘vintage’ piece and so I justified that maybe more primitive polishing techniques were to account for that. The vendor has sold plenty on Ruby Lane, with a history...,so I trusted. I still wonder if she intentionally mislead. I’m guessing yes.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Oh yes! the polish just isn’t there. The howlite has an interesting, Matt ‘dryness’ about it. I thought it a little odd that the vendors pics of the original were without a higher shine...but it was a ‘vintage’ piece and so I justified that maybe more primitive polishing techniques were to account for that. The vendor has sold plenty on Ruby Lane, with a history...,so I trusted. I still wonder if she intentionally mislead. I’m guessing yes.
Come to think of it, undyed howlite is very matte. I always think of the eggs and spheres of howlite they sell, so it must be an inexpensive stone. I have bought two rings from Ruby Lane. I felt safe in my purchases, but you can never be too careful.

It still irks me that this happened to you. One bad vendor can really leave a bad impression.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess it’s because I’m used to the glow of copper-bearing one’s that even if crystal, the lagoon blue green tourmalines doesn’t do it for me....although this one is a matter of preference. Stone is 5.90 carats.

B3B725D2-51D1-4E78-BF56-F13B5F9D7049.jpeg 457F8C1B-6BB4-4F20-8BB8-007CAED2F07A.jpeg

Seaglow I just love that tourmaline! That's stone looks to be my ideal tourmaline (on a rather small list of rings I would like to create!). If you ever decide to sell (not that I'm sure I could afford it!) first dibs please!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Don’t laugh but I made a point of wearing it today!

I was wondering about this ring and the story behind it earlier. Good for you Bron how did it feel?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my husband was on one of his trips to Japan when one day he called me all excited. He said he had found this really cool necklace. Very unique but cool. It was tourmaline beads with two large pearls, one of them being separate from the other on a chain. I couldn't quite picture how he was describing it but thought it sounded cool so I said to get it. Hey who am I to turn down sparklies. :lol: Oh boy, unique indeed. This is sooooo not me in the slightest. I may have worn it once or twice...maybe. That was the last time I ever said get it without a picture first!!!

DSC_0589[1].jpg
cmsncl.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my husband was on one of his trips to Japan when one day he called me all excited. He said he had found this really cool necklace. Very unique but cool. It was tourmaline beads with two large pearls, one of them being separate from the other on a chain. I couldn't quite picture how he was describing it but thought it sounded cool so I said to get it. Hey who am I to turn down sparklies. :lol: Oh boy, unique indeed. This is sooooo not me in the slightest. I may have worn it once or twice...maybe. That was the last time I ever said get it without a picture first!!!

DSC_0589[1].jpg
cmsncl.jpg
I’d be getting out the wire cutters and “snipping off” the extra chain bit and restringing it on another gold chain. Woo Hoo, two necklaces.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d be getting out the wire cutters and “snipping off” the extra chain bit and restringing it on another gold chain. Woo Hoo, two necklaces.
LOL, yeah I thought of that but I didn't want to hurt hubby's feelings.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DSC_0589[1].jpg
cmsncl.jpg
I can see why your husband thought it would be interesting and unique, for it is. But, I also see that it isn’t ‘you’. I have to admit, my urge would also be to restring it without the pearls, maybe even without the separator beads. You could even make two bracelets out of the tourmalines.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, yeah I thought of that but I didn't want to hurt hubby's feelings.
Easy.
Just do did it and explain.
I really wanted to have a separate pearl on a chain and when I checked the prices, wow. Then I thought, I could utilize that beautiful necklace you bought me and make two necklaces out of one. It’s perfect, who gets to make two beautiful necklaces out of just one. And I saved $ xxx too, so which one do you like best, I can’t decide, I love them both.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sold everything I regret except one stone. An ugly Alexandrite. That stone stays to remind me not to get carried away with "rare" stones.
Lol, love this! I’d love to see it! Sounds intense....

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

DSC_0589[1].jpg
cmsncl.jpg

The tourmalines are so pretty, it’s a pity not to wear them. I say take the cutters to them too! I don’t think his feelings will be hurt since you are repurposing, not regifting.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After joining PS, I accumulated a lot of inexpensive starter stones from the FB auctions and sites. Some I set. Most still sit in gem jars. I debate whether they were a mistake because I did learn a lot by collecting them and because of them, I was more comfortable in buying more expensive stones.

It's great how this thread has people revisiting their pieces that they fell out of love with. As I started seriously collecting pieces, a lot of my older jewelry fell out of favor. It was as if I was judging everything by some "PS worthy" test. But over time, I've come to realize that just because a stone isn't top color, isn't rare or perfectly cut, doesn't mean it doesn't make a pretty piece of jewelry. I have found myself taking out a lot of those pieces lately, remembering why I liked them and wearing them again.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After joining PS, I accumulated a lot of inexpensive starter stones from the FB auctions and sites. Some I set. Most still sit in gem jars. I debate whether they were a mistake because I did learn a lot by collecting them and because of them, I was more comfortable in buying more expensive stones.

It's great how this thread has people revisiting their pieces that they fell out of love with. As I started seriously collecting pieces, a lot of my older jewelry fell out of favor. It was as if I was judging everything by some "PS worthy" test. But over time, I've come to realize that just because a stone isn't top color, isn't rare or perfectly cut, doesn't mean it doesn't make a pretty piece of jewelry. I have found myself taking out a lot of those pieces lately, remembering why I liked them and wearing them again.
That’s great, @lilmosun ! A gem is a miracle and gift of nature, even though it may not be perfect. I see flaws and imperfections in them as a metaphor for the flaws and imperfections which each one of us has. If we can still love and appreciate the beauty within them, in my belief system, we are one step closer to acceptance of ourselves too.
And enough of that! It’s truly brings the most fulfillment when we can enjoy the process and revisit where we were at that time!

Last edited:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluegemnz-I can see why you bought those peacock earrings. :love: I saw a similar pair in sterling silver in Russia last summer. I wanted them but could not bring myself to buy them. They were only $100 but my travel budget was tapped already. So I have thought about them from time to time. They are beautiful...more so in gold!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results