shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you pick? Good cut/bigger vs ideal cut/smaller

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
290F9611-B30F-453D-A9D1-A6CFCF78E806.jpeg 8E5B3A49-E1BE-492B-A5F9-62C16C225D2D.jpeg Just out of curiosity do you prefer a smaller but ideal cut stone vs a good cut but larger stone?

I’m torn on which I like better. I have an ideal 1.5 carat L, SI1, AGS 000 and a 1.9 H, I1/2 stone that has a good cut. I’m awaiting the official GIA report on the 1.9 stone. The good cut sparkles as well but maybe not quite as bright and just seems so much bigger but the smaller one you can actually see the arrows and is gorgeous. I wear a size 9 though so I feel like I need more finger coverage.

I’m thinking I should stick the smaller stone in a David Klass suspended halo.

At the same time, my rings come and go, I upgrade and trade out both stones and settings pretty often. I get bored. So really I’d want to keep whichever one would be easiest to sell in the future.

Pics are attached, the smaller one is in the rose gold solitaire setting and the bigger one is in the setting with baguettes. Both pics were done in the same place with similar lighting. I’ve also come to realize I hate rose gold with my skin tone so if I keep the smaller stone which is an L it would go in a white gold halo. I do feel like it faces up pretty white.

Thoughts?

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you talking about a GIA rating of Good? If you're looking to sell it in the future it might be hard to sell an I1/2 GIA Good stone, at least to this crowd.

If you know you'll be looking for something new in a couple of years I think it's more important to get a stone with a vendor with a good upgrade policy and lots of selection.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
You're in a good situation because you're contemplating between two stones you can see in person. It could be the photos, but the smaller stone definitely looks to be better cut, looks brighter, and should be a better sparkler. However, if you're satisfied with how the bigger one performs in person, it really comes down to your personal preference. Let your EYES judge under various light and go with the one you like better, not by what's on the paper.

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
The smaller one comes from IDJewelery and Yuketiel said he’d be willing to take it back as an upgrade but at market value vs what I paid. Which could help or hurt me. It’s a coin toss. He didn’t seem thrilled about offering an upgrade policy because it’s an L but because it’s what he calls on the appraisal an “Ideal Cut Hearts and Arrows” he’d do it.

The GIA report should be done this week. I didn’t really expect there to be such a difference size wise. I’ve never owned a stone this well cut as I just came across Pricescope in the last year or so and I figured it would look bigger because of the cut and then the difference I wouldn’t notice as much.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you own both of them let your eyes be the judge. Which one do you like the best overall in all lighting situations?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
290F9611-B30F-453D-A9D1-A6CFCF78E806.jpeg 8E5B3A49-E1BE-492B-A5F9-62C16C225D2D.jpeg Just out of curiosity do you prefer a smaller but ideal cut stone vs a good cut but larger stone?

I’m torn on which I like better. I have an ideal 1.5 carat L, SI1, AGS 000 and a 1.9 H, I1/2 stone that has a good cut. I’m awaiting the official GIA report on the 1.9 stone. The good cut sparkles as well but maybe not quite as bright and just seems so much bigger but the smaller one you can actually see the arrows and is gorgeous. I wear a size 9 though so I feel like I need more finger coverage.

I’m thinking I should stick the smaller stone in a David Klass suspended halo.

At the same time, my rings come and go, I upgrade and trade out both stones and settings pretty often. I get bored. So really I’d want to keep whichever one would be easiest to sell in the future.

Pics are attached, the smaller one is in the rose gold solitaire setting and the bigger one is in the setting with baguettes. Both pics were done in the same place with similar lighting. I’ve also come to realize I hate rose gold with my skin tone so if I keep the smaller stone which is an L it would go in a white gold halo. I do feel like it faces up pretty white.

Thoughts?

Ideal cut...all day long. The slight mm spread difference isn’t enough to convince me to abandon an ideal cut diamond for a lesser cut, lower clarity graded diamond.

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! This is the type of answer I need because I can’t decide! Lol.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don’t seem a visible size difference from the pictures. What is the diameter of the 1.5 vs 1.9? And they are about the same price?

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
7.35mm is the 1.5 carat and the 1.9 carat is 7.9mm. If I keep the 1.5 carat I’m going to sell the 1.9 carat on Worthy.com or Idonowidont. The 1.5 carat was $4200 and a DK setting will run $1k. If I sell the bigger one I’d hope to cover the cost of the 1.5 and new setting. Does that all make sense? I don’t remember what I paid for the 1.9 carat as it was involved in trades. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
1.5 is what I have now. I’d love a bigger stone but I wouldn't go to a lower cut to accomplish that. So for me, the 1.5 better cut would be the winner.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So you are asking opinion regarding upgrading from a 1.9 good cut h i1 to 1.5 ideal cut l si1.

I personally wouldn’t want to go down from 1.9 to 1.5. I would save up to upgrade to an ideal cut 1.9 or higher. I would only do the 1.5 if it is with a company with a good upgrade policy so that I can work my way back up to 1.9 in the future. In this case it sounds like you will be at the mercy of the seller of 1.5.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Cut preference all the way, 1.5 would be my choice....

srke

Shiny_Rock
Looking at the pictures the ideal cut one definitely looks brighter. I think the baguettes and the white setting the larger stone is adding to the feel of the 1.9 having a lot more coverage as it blends together with the stone. If you look at just the stones, the edges of the ideal cut since it just seems a lot better defined and brighter and just pops a lot more.

But if you're already feeling the 1.5 is small, that may become something that will always bug you. Rather than settling for something you have reservations about, I agree with uyalison that if I could, under these circumstances I would save up for an upgrade to an ideal 1.9.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to be very non-pricescope-ish and say I’d take the bigger one

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The smaller one comes from IDJewelery and Yuketiel said he’d be willing to take it back as an upgrade but at market value vs what I paid. Which could help or hurt me. It’s a coin toss. He didn’t seem thrilled about offering an upgrade policy because it’s an L but because it’s what he calls on the appraisal an “Ideal Cut Hearts and Arrows” he’d do it.

The GIA report should be done this week. I didn’t really expect there to be such a difference size wise. I’ve never owned a stone this well cut as I just came across Pricescope in the last year or so and I figured it would look bigger because of the cut and then the difference I wouldn’t notice as much.

I'm torn. On the cut aspect, it's easy as I love super ideals. The size doesn't bother me, but I can see how it might bother you given the fact you've worn a much larger stone. I also don't like the L color, or the wish-washy upgrade policy. I understand their reasoning on the upgrade policy, I just like knowing what I either have or don't have. Of course, it sounds like you've traded and swapped a few times so maybe this is a non-factor for you.

I'm curious why you feel the need to keep swapping? Is it truly boredom, or the fact your goal is a 3 carat, super ideal, D stone? Obviously I'm exaggerating, but maybe determining where you want to be will determine the journey you take at this fork in the road.

For size comparison, here is what you are talking about:

Capture3.PNG

I don't know your budget, but I saw the super ideal was about $4,200. I couldn't find anything to beat that price. I did find a very nice eye clean J SI1 1.566ct at WF for $9800. If this is in your range, it gives you slightly larger dimensions, a great upgrade policy (guaranteed money, spend $1 more and full price of original purchase applied to new purchase) and it's a super ideal with all the certs & hoopla.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3979463.htm?source=pricescope

If you went with that stone, here is a size comparison using the 1.566ct (or 1.57, since I have to round up on that website):

Capture4.PNG

7.35mm is the 1.5 carat and the 1.9 carat is 7.9mm. If I keep the 1.5 carat I’m going to sell the 1.9 carat on Worthy.com or Idonowidont. The 1.5 carat was $4200 and a DK setting will run $1k. If I sell the bigger one I’d hope to cover the cost of the 1.5 and new setting. Does that all make sense? I don’t remember what I paid for the 1.9 carat as it was involved in trades. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is your current 1.9ct stone certified? GIA, AGS or other? I put in some loose search criteria trying to find something similar that was available and the following kicked back. To me, it appears you should bring in enough for the stone & setting at IDJ, but you may be able to get a little more.

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the angles/specs on each? Some angles that get VeryGood are better than others.

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
FEA843D4-5396-4E17-A47E-CA76B10C4286.jpeg
Can you post the angles/specs on each? Some angles that get VeryGood are better than others.

I’m waiting on the GIA report to come in. Specs on that are purely speculation. Here’s the AGS report on the 1.5 though. :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For sure the prettier one which is clearly the smaller one. In the pictures it seems obvious to me. What’s the point of having bigger if it’s uglier? I’d just be able to see uglier better.

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
m curious why you feel the need to keep swapping? Is it truly boredom, or the fact your goal is a 3 carat, super ideal, D stone? Obviously I'm exaggerating, but maybe determining where you want to be will determine the journey you take at this fork in the road.

Yeah, boredom for sure. I appreciate so many looks but I can’t afford them all so I swap them around. Ultimately, I’d love an ideal cut, J or K stone (I love the warmer colors) in a 2.5-3 carat size. I expect that no time soon as my budget will not allow it. :)

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-18_17-3-26.png
    upload_2018-6-18_17-3-26.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 19

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, boredom for sure. I appreciate so many looks but I can’t afford them all so I swap them around. Ultimately, I’d love an ideal cut, J or K stone (I love the warmer colors) in a 2.5-3 carat size. I expect that no time soon as my budget will not allow it. :)
So, why not buy into a one of the diamond lines that has a generous upgrade policy and work you way up to what you want?

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
So, why not buy into a one of the diamond lines that has a generous upgrade policy and work you way up to what you want?

My $4k budget won’t touch anything close to 1.5 carats at the other more generous lines. I can’t imagine going any smaller than that. Once I find out the specifics from the GIA report on the 1.9 stone I’ll know if I have more $$ to play with but I’m not betting on it. ;-)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you thought of having the larger stone recut? It would probably come in around 1.7ct, as the standard warning is that a re-cut will cost you roughly 10% of your overall ctw - tho this differs by stone. So you'd have something markedly larger than the 1.5, but with ideal light performance. Since the change in size is so obvious, it would be nice to soften that blow by 50%.

I recommend Brian Gavin Diamonds; many here, including myself, have done a re-cut with them. This might also make you eligible for a future upgrade with them.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My $4k budget won’t touch anything close to 1.5 carats at the other more generous lines. I can’t imagine going any smaller than that. Once I find out the specifics from the GIA report on the 1.9 stone I’ll know if I have more $$ to play with but I’m not betting on it. ;-)

Is the IDJ stone something they have in-house, or is it a virtual stone? If virtual, perhaps WF could purchase and you could from them with their upgrade policy. Just a thought. Or maybe talk to WF and see if they can find you a stone like you want within your budget constraints.

I looked earlier, but didn't see any L colored stones in-stock. My guess is that is a little too warm for the bulk of buyers. Nothing personal meant FYI. A few years back I owned a yellow Jeep and loved it. But when I went to sell it I realized I fell in a minority and it took a special buyer as not everyone loved the color as much as I did.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would keep the L, it’s a lovely stone with great angles. IDJ are also great to work with.

Post the Gia once it comes back, but I wouldn’t entertain recutting it. An I1 stone might be a risky candidate and you are not guaranteed the final size.

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
Is the IDJ stone something they have in-house, or is it a virtual stone? If virtual, perhaps WF could purchase and you could from them with their upgrade policy. Just a thought. Or maybe talk to WF and see if they can find you a stone like you want within your budget constraints.

I looked earlier, but didn't see any L colored stones in-stock. My guess is that is a little too warm for the bulk of buyers. Nothing personal meant FYI. A few years back I owned a yellow Jeep and loved it. But when I went to sell it I realized I fell in a minority and it took a special buyer as not everyone loved the color as much as I did.

No offense taken at all. :) I have the 1.5 stone in my possession. It wasn’t virtual inventory. I’ve paid for it but have 30 days to decide. I’m leaning towards keeping it. I don’t believe the 1.9 is worth cutting. At BEST it’s an I1 but I bet it comes back I2. It was a stone I got before my Pricescope days. ;-)

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
I would keep the L, it’s a lovely stone with great angles. IDJ are also great to work with.

Post the Gia once it comes back, but I wouldn’t entertain recutting it. An I1 stone might be a risky candidate and you are not guaranteed the final size.

You read my mind!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an ideal 1.5 carat L, SI1, AGS 000 and a 1.9 H, I1/2 stone that has a good cut. I’m awaiting the official GIA report on the 1.9 stone.

So you have a "for sure" AGS0 L SI1 and a "maybe" good, "maybe" H and "maybe" I1 or I2 stone. You already bought the IDJ stone (which you can trade up for market (who determines "market?) price and you already own the 1.9 so that money is spent. Market on a maybe" good, "maybe" H and "maybe" I1 or I2 stone will be impossible to determine until you get the GIA report back. Then, because you'd be privately selling it, you could expect to net about 1/3 of the (retail) price you find for comps. (Doubt any ps vetted vendor is selling many I1/I2 stones tho, so you might be getting comps from the likes of Kay/Jared, etc)

I would keep them both - the ring with the AGS stone and just make a pendant out of the 1.9.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Understand your point @ringo865 but I think she can find a buyer for the 1.9ct. Doubt it will pull a premium, but for that size I'm pretty sure someone will bite. Getting it certified will help it sell, assuming the specs come back decent.

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
Update, as I thought, the 1.9 came back as an I color, strong white fluoro, I2, good cut. I sold it already for $5500 on IDNID, I would have only gotten $2k on Worthy.com. I’m keeping the 1.5 and putting it in a DK suspended halo. Thanks to all for your thoughts and advice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results