shape
carat
color
clarity

One more "please help me evaluate this stone" thread!

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello! I was hoping you could help me evaluate this diamond.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4712599

I just purchased, but have not received it yet. The cost was $10,000. From what I'm seeing, all aspects of the cut are ideal except the crown angle, which is slightly steep at 35.5. I know cut is king, but, it has a low HCA score, looks beautiful, and is the size and color I was looking for. I know there is no firm consensus on exact perfect cut proportions, and I have read some positive comments about a 35.5 crown angle. For my budget and color requirement, I don't think I'm going to get much better than this unless I'm willing to go smaller, which I'd really prefer not to do. Also, the James Allen gemologist assured that it is eye clean. I have requested an Idealscope which I should receive in a day or so.

Thoughts please?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Angle combo looks safe. Did you get an IS image from James Allen?

I have a preference for slightly fatter arrows but these are not as skinny as if the LGF was at 85%, so the arrows being a little slimmer than my preference isn’t a big deal.

Looks to be quite a clean SI1, crystal is white but small and in a good location when looking at the stone face up.

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reply. I'm supposed to receive the IS image any day - I'll post it here once I get it. I'm not familiar with LGF, what is that?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lower Girdle Facet. Otherwise known as Lower Half Percentage. This number determines how wide the arrow shafts (ie the pavilion main facets) are. The higher the LGF %-ge, the skinnier the pavilion mains are. The lower it is, the wider the pavilion mains are. This will have an effect on whether the flashes of fire and brilliance you see are larger or smaller.

In a GIA report, they round the LGF to the nearest 5% from memory. So in reality, the LGF percentage for a reported 80% LGF could be anywhere from 77.6% to 82.4%. In the stone you link to above, it looks to be around 78-79% to my eyes as the arrow shafts are similar in width to the ones in my wife’s Brian Gavin Blue stone that AGS measured as having a LGF of 78%. 77-78% LGF is my preferred upper maximum. Others will prefer skinnier or fatter arrows.

Some of the modified round brilliant facet designs have extremely skinny arrows as a design feature (like the Solasfera diamond).

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
Interesting. Just when you think you know everything there is to know about diamonds...

Glad to hear you think the cut and clarity are good. I'd really love if this one worked out - I love the size and color for this price point.

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
Do you think the strong fluorescence would cause any clarity/color issues here? I've mostly been ignoring fluorescence in my search, though the diamonds I've seen with fluorescence I found attractive in person.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it looks good in the video. The fluor doesn't seem to be making the diamond hazy at all. Post the IS when you get it :)

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You get a good size. Best is to ask the ASET scope image of this diamond. IS not that detailed than ASET. Base on the actual I see some minor leakages under the table and some dug.out. ( but I need ASET to confirm ) :mrgreen2:. But nothing to worry the diamond is gorgeous to me.

Hello! I was hoping you could help me evaluate this diamond.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4712599

I just purchased, but have not received it yet. The cost was $10,000. From what I'm seeing, all aspects of the cut are ideal except the crown angle, which is slightly steep at 35.5. I know cut is king, but, it has a low HCA score, looks beautiful, and is the size and color I was looking for. I know there is no firm consensus on exact perfect cut proportions, and I have read some positive comments about a 35.5 crown angle. For my budget and color requirement, I don't think I'm going to get much better than this unless I'm willing to go smaller, which I'd really prefer not to do. Also, the James Allen gemologist assured that it is eye clean. I have requested an Idealscope which I should receive in a day or so.

Thoughts please?

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
What does it mean to say a diamond is dug out?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What does it mean to say a diamond is dug out?
Painting and digging out are terms that refer to non-standard cutting techniques that tilt the upper and/or lower girdle facets towards or away from the mains. This can be done intentionally for a number of reasons including saving weight, removing inclusions, making the girdle look more even, or removing small amounts of light leakage.
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/visible_effects_painting_digging_superideal_diamonds

Overview of fluorescence here:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You get a good size. Best is to ask the ASET scope image of this diamond. IS not that detailed than ASET. Base on the actual I see some minor leakages under the table and some dug.out. ( but I need ASET to confirm ) :mrgreen2:. But nothing to worry the diamond is gorgeous to me.

Just be careful about analysing diamonds from one blown up image YoLal, concerning things like painting and digging/ any leakage and their effects.

The diamond looks great Mags, if it's eye clean to your expectations and the image checks out, it could be a great buy, you did well! Just check with one of the gemologists too whether the SB fluorescence is having a negative effect ( unlikely) to be on the safe side and you should be good to go.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This looks like a great diamond which has popped up a few times. Here is the IS from an earlier thread of this same diamond
idealscope help.jpg

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
Wow awesome find, thank you gm! Could you possibly link me to the old thread where that popped up? James Allen is really dragging their feet providing the IS to me so I was starting to worry, but that looks great! And I know people here are super discerning, so it is reassuring that you guys don't see major red flags. I'll see what they say about the fluorescence but I'm feeling pretty good about my purchase - good enough to at least wait to see how it looks in person.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow awesome find, thank you gm! Could you possibly link me to the old thread where that popped up? James Allen is really dragging their feet providing the IS to me so I was starting to worry, but that looks great! And I know people here are super discerning, so it is reassuring that you guys don't see major red flags. I'll see what they say about the fluorescence but I'm feeling pretty good about my purchase - good enough to at least wait to see how it looks in person.

Hey, here you go https://www.pricescope.com/communit...lp-with-idealscope-image.239086/#post-4305195

I think it's a real bargain.

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
Does anyone think there's a chance it would not be eye clean? I don't have a lot of experience comparing very enlarged images to diamonds in real life, so I can only guess.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would not have been surprised if it was VS2 from the video, it seems a very harshly graded SI1. I think it would most definitely be eye clean.

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
This does make me annoyed with JA - if they already had the Idealscope why are they making me wait days and days for it? Otherwise their customer service has been great, but they've really lagged on this. For this amount of money I don't think they should be so stingy with the IS, especially since they had this one in house.

I guess the good diamonds get purchased so quickly that JA figures they don't have to do the extra work to get the IS out? Anyway, it's irritating.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm also surprised, I thought if they had an image already saved they sent it out usually immediately.

But I have seen people here ask for an idealscope for stones that other previous posters requested, and they had freshly taken images. It seems their system is not watertight and I wouldn't be surprised if you had a slightly different scope image.

This may be especially true as your diamond is under a different SKU number than the other poster. When the diamond showed as sold, from before, they relisted it as a brand new diamond, so they may be unaware they already have an idealscope image.

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
To be fair, I have pestered their customer service probably more than the average customer. I thought maybe they had me on a list or something, haha. I'm always polite of course, but I've asked a lot of questions about a number of diamonds and this is the third idealscope I've asked for (and I asked for a few that they could not produce an IS). This is a forever diamond so I'm really concerned about maximizing my budget to get a high quality stone.

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
Bumping one more time to see if anyone else has opinions re: the 35.5% crown angle or eye cleanliness. I'm feeling pretty great about my purchase at the moment. I will definitely post a pic once it arrives.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No concerns from me, the crown angle could complement the pavilion angle well and you might find it shows a little extra fire. Let us know what you think when it arrives but I think it's a winner if it's eye clean for you!

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
With this diamond crown 35.5 it's proportion to the pavilion 46,so nothing to worry so much. But the depth is 62.5% thats why when I look at the Ideal scope image in the center (circle of death area) the color its pale of pink means the light return is not that intense. To make it more intense red, for this diamond is good to have a total depth not less than 62% or the crown should be 34.5 or 35. Just sharing my analysis. But so far this diamond in actual is gorgeous.
By the way did you ask them the ASET scope image of this diamond?

Bumping one more time to see if anyone else has opinions re: the 35.5% crown angle or eye cleanliness. I'm feeling pretty great about my purchase at the moment. I will definitely post a pic once it arrives.

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I understand, thats why I'm asking him to ask the ASET image of this diamond to confirm. :)

Just be careful about analysing diamonds from one blown up image YoLal, concerning things like painting and digging/ any leakage and their effects.

The diamond looks great Mags, if it's eye clean to your expectations and the image checks out, it could be a great buy, you did well! Just check with one of the gemologists too whether the SB fluorescence is having a negative effect ( unlikely) to be on the safe side and you should be good to go.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I understand, thats why I'm asking him to ask the ASET image of this diamond to confirm. :)

It is exceedingly rare for a JA diamond to have a ASET. You may get one for a fancy shape, but for MRB’s, an IS is usually all you will get.

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
I wish I could get an ASET, but James Allen has thus far dragged their feet for almost two weeks since my initial request for the IS (immediately after purchasing) so I honestly don't even want to bother asking for the ASET. I asked twice via chat for the IS, and they finally emailed to confirm a week later that they were working on it and hadn't seen my initial requests, and the diamond was in house. And now another week has passed. I'm really disappointed in JA, especially since they already took an IS of this diamond - they really are upstanding most of the time! That's why I'm thinking I might be on some "pain in the a$$ customer" list, ha. I'd assume most people forking over this amount of money for such a long term purchase would be similarly full of questions. But perhaps not.

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
No concerns from me, the crown angle could complement the pavilion angle well and you might find it shows a little extra fire. Let us know what you think when it arrives but I think it's a winner if it's eye clean for you!

Will do, thanks for your feedback!

michael1601999

Rough_Rock
wrt to the strong blue fluorescence...I just bought a J SI1 blue nile diamond which has VSBF and it's so darn cool in the sunlight. No haziness at all and the icy blue effect is awesome. Definitely whitens up the stone too. Of course make sure you (or whoever is getting the diamond) enjoys the effect of SBF.

Mags

Rough_Rock
Premium
I have a diamond now with medium blue fluor. I think it's beautiful personally!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with others that say this is a very well cut, balanced diamond. The IS if fine. In terms of visibility, the two inclusions I circled are the ones that are most visible at an angle. That said, at the real size of a this diamond, I'd be surprised if you can detect anything. And, at least one, can be covered with a prong if you have them set "on" the arrow tips. For the value this offers, I would probably order it. As long as you have it sent unset or in a non-custom JA setting, then you can always return it within 30-days.

upload_2018-4-26_17-37-16.png

If you drop color to I, this is nice, but the inclusion is more visible in the video (though not likely in IRL)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-4197602

The closest with an H color is this 1.4.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4704565 {nice tall crown, inclusion can be placed under a prong. Needs an IS}

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results