shape
carat
color
clarity

I Like Big Diamonds and I Cannot Lie - $3000 Budget

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
Ok so I did some shopping and some talking to my boyfriend. Having missed out on the Marquise kind of just makes me want one more!

I think J is too yellow for me.
I really loved the antiqueness of the one that got snapped up.
I prefer to buy from somewhere with an upgrade policy, OR to score a mega deal on eBay.

https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

What do you guys think of this one? I’m ok putting it in a SUPER basic setting and doing a halo later. Bf is ok with that, and he says we can go a BIT over $3k if it’s *the one*. So what do you say? I love that this is over a carat! And as much as I loved the antiquey Marquise, it was seeming to be pretty skinny for a lengthwise solitaire.

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
C2981294-5A1F-462D-BB32-8D4FF6BC5451.png The blue nile Marquise compared to a half carat round. (Thanks for telling me about this site!)

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said J is too yellow for you, but that marquise at BN is a J. Without a real pic or video, I would not buy a J/SI2 sight unseen.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said J is too yellow for you, but that marquise at BN is a J. Without a real pic or video, I would not buy a J/SI2 sight unseen.
Also I've seen it stated often that fancies/elongated stones can concentrate colour in their ends - I assume that's due to the way the facets are arranged where they kinda pack in together at the tips? @nmg have you been to see what your real-world colour tolerance is like? See if you've got a store with GIA/AGS graded stones in stock that go down to a J/K and will let you look at it under natural or diffuse light (not just the shop lighting as that makes everything look amazing).
Don't rely on the photography as it can vary wildly in terms of tint and be extremely inaccurate.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a whiter, cleaner stone. And it's BEAUTIFULLY cut for a marquise. It's also cut more shallow, so will look whiter, and it has as large a surface area as the 1.11ct stone posted originally. It's a gorgeous marquise shape (not all of them are), and will halo beautifully. If you halo this, it will have a LOT of finger coverage. And I far prefer an I/SI1 combo to a J/SI2 combo. A far nicer stone.

My advice to you would be to trust the haloing process. You seem to be scrounging for size and sacrificing the quality of your center stone. I'd buy the stone below, get it halo'd, and be aware that it will be the same length as a 6 ct round diamond. Even WITHOUT the halo, this stone is the same length as a 3.5ct round. A J can be hard to disguise. But a halo'd I is generally a very pretty look.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a whiter, cleaner stone. And it's BEAUTIFULLY cut for a marquise. It's also cut more shallow, so will look whiter, and it has as large a surface area as the 1.11ct stone posted originally. It's a gorgeous marquise shape (not all of them are), and will halo beautifully. If you halo this, it will have a LOT of finger coverage. And I far prefer an I/SI1 combo to a J/SI2 combo. A far nicer stone.

My advice to you would be to trust the haloing process. You seem to be scrounging for size and sacrificing the quality of your center stone. I'd buy the stone below, get it halo'd, and be aware that it will be the same length as a 6 ct round diamond. Even WITHOUT the halo, this stone is the same length as a 3.5ct round. A J can be hard to disguise. But a halo'd I is generally a very pretty look.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

Gorgeous!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m concerned that last marquise is cloudy. Looks like it may be from the photos also it’s the first inclusion listed

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m concerned that last marquise is cloudy. Looks like it may be from the photos also it’s the first inclusion listed
Ditto, it has a pretty make, but it could be cloudy. I am concerned hag it is above budget, especially if OP wants a halo.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, it has a pretty make, but it could be cloudy. I am concerned hag it is above budget, especially if OP wants a halo.

Hi @SimoneDi -

No - not above budget. OP said her fiance was willing to go a little above 3k for the stone and to set in a plain solitaire, to set into a halo at a later date.

It doesn't look cloudy to me - in fact, its clarity is what I liked about it the most. It's an easy check, tho; Blue Nile is completely forthcoming about the strengths and weaknesses of its stones. it will need to be checked; BN's default policy is to say that you can assume a stone is NOT eye clean if it hasn't been specifically checked. They err on the side of caution. After it's checked, tho, they'll tell you definitively one way or the other. I've always found them to be particularly honest; I don't think it gains them anything not to be.

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
You guys, I'm feeling kind of down. ;( That antiquey marquise that Niel posted was a very white stone, cool facets, fit my budget... why did I delay? I'm really beating myself up over it. The size was very good. I think I just wasn't ready to jump! But I did contact IDJ, so I was slowly moving in the right direction. Oh well. Lesson learned! I should've put it on hold before I did anything else. I was kind of nervous to do that. Kind of like what you're shopping for a house or a car, you don't buy the first one you see. Right? Unless that first one ticks all the boxes and is in the right price range.

:boohoo:

Ok. Moving on!

You're right about the J being not for me! I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that marquise last night. I'm just scrambling to find something as enticing. But I think maybe I should hold out to find something similar to that first antiquey one that Niel found. How impossible would it be to find something similar??? I can hope! :P2 I'm willing to wait. I've found the right guy, and it took me some time! I can be equally patient when finding the right ring.

PS Neil if you find a very very similar stone then maybe comment that you've found it and I'll tell you when I can be glued to my phone so that when you post it I can LEAP. YEAH!

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
Oh and I also just want to say thank you so so much for everyone that has been helping me. I’m sure it’s super annoying to try and help people that don’t know what they’re doing, and I really appreciate every single little bit of assistance! You guys are gems for putting up with me :)

I’ve lurked for so long that I thought I knew what I was doing, but it turns out I’m just a babe in the woods.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP don’t beat yourself over missing on that diamond. It was beautiful, but we can help you find another equally beautiful stone! Sometimes an experience like this is what helps us move forward faster with the next purchase and understand what we really want. :) I second @mrs-b idea to add a halo. It will greatly help the size!

Here are two marquises that I like. One of them needs to be avaluated for eye-cleanness:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/0.80-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-4714526
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/0.80-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-3357905

I would get a setting like this one for marquise :https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...iamond-engagement-ring-pear-center-item-17461

Edit: I found another pretty one. It reminds me of the marquise that is not sold: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/0.91-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-4462404

You can ask JA for advantage pricing.

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @SimoneDi -

No - not above budget. OP said her fiance was willing to go a little above 3k for the stone and to set in a plain solitaire, to set into a halo at a later date.

It doesn't look cloudy to me - in fact, its clarity is what I liked about it the most. It's an easy check, tho; Blue Nile is completely forthcoming about the strengths and weaknesses of its stones. it will need to be checked; BN's default policy is to say that you can assume a stone is NOT eye clean if it hasn't been specifically checked. They err on the side of caution. After it's checked, tho, they'll tell you definitively one way or the other. I've always found them to be particularly honest; I don't think it gains them anything not to be.

Thanks for the clarification @mrs-b! I was absent for a few days and missed the budget increase. I also agree with checking with the vendor to confirm eye-cleannes/transparency!

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks SimoneDi and MrsB!!!!

I put this one on hold: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/0.91-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-4462404

I loooooove that it's 12mm in length :shock::clap::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

I don't need it to be a D, but it is, and that's cool... I put it on hold! I'm learning! If anyone finds a bigger marquise for $3k USD then please post! I have 48 hours. The clock is ticking.

Thank you so much for taking me from feeling sad to feeling exhilarated! :P2

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks SimoneDi and MrsB!!!!

I put this one on hold: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/0.91-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-4462404

I loooooove that it's 12mm in length :shock::clap::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

I don't need it to be a D, but it is, and that's cool... I put it on hold! I'm learning! If anyone finds a bigger marquise for $3k USD then please post! I have 48 hours. The clock is ticking.

Thank you so much for taking me from feeling sad to feeling exhilarated! :P2

Yay! So glad you liked one of the stones! Please double check that it is on hold, because I can still select it when I go to the JA listing.

Also, did you like a setting from JA? I was also going to say that I would prefer a halo or a bezel to protect the corners.

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
Yay! So glad you liked one of the stones! Please double check that it is on hold, because I can still select it when I go to the JA listing.

Also, did you like a setting from JA? I was also going to say that I would prefer a halo or a bezel to protect the corners.

What? Hmm. Ok I will go confirm. Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!!

Some settings I like. But there are very few halo options for a Marquise. I could go through David Klass or something, but I hate so much shipping. I’m in Canada. Shipping around is not good for me. You make a good point about the tips, though!

Can I just gush again about the length of this diamond? Ahhhhh!!!!

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
SimoneDi, if you see this message would you mind confirming that the diamond looks unavailable now? On my end it looks on hold.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I looked at it and it now says "Not Available" so I think you are good.

Reactions: nmg

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
12mm? holy crap!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SimoneDi, if you see this message would you mind confirming that the diamond looks unavailable now? On my end it looks on hold.
It is unavailable now! Btw I am pretty sure that all standard JA settings can be made for a marquise, like this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...iamond-engagement-ring-pear-center-item-17461
And it is on sale now! I just think that it will give you a max visual impact and will be the quickest/most affordable option.

I always use this pic for comparison of a halo vs a non-halo. This is my 2.1ct round vs a 1ct in a halo. See the increase in size?
2904C95E-D938-4A48-9FDC-45883459A354.jpeg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is unavailable now! Btw I am pretty sure that all standard JA settings can be made for a marquise, like this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...iamond-engagement-ring-pear-center-item-17461
And it is on sale now! I just think that it will give you a max visual impact and will be the quickest/most affordable option.

I always use this pic for comparison of a halo vs a non-halo. This is my 2.1ct round vs a 1ct in a halo. See the increase in size?

I just checked with the online customer service and the only halo they sell is $4k. So, they offered this one.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...oft-floral-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41052
:eek2::shock::shock: now THATS some serious visual impact.

If you don't mind a bit of mailing, I wonder if IDJewelery in NY can find you an affordable option in the SimonG line?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just checked with the online customer service and the only halo they sell is $4k. So, they offered this one.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...oft-floral-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41052

If you don't mind a bit of mailing, I wonder if IDJewelery in NY can find you an affordable option in the SimonG line?
And if so, perhaps IDJ can even get her that marquis (possibly even better price?) so it could all be done with the same vendor?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if so, perhaps IDJ can even get her that marquis (possibly even better price?) so it could all be done with the same vendor?
I think if it's on hold maybe not. But, worth asking IDJ.

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I know people here like to recommend the US vendors they are familiar with, but I think you should consider setting your stone locally. You can look around at the most common manufacturers for settings, then find a local jeweller that carries the brand and have them order the setting you want. Or just look at what your local jewellers have. It would save you the trouble of mailing back and forth, and then you'd have a local jeweller to do any maintenance, repair, future resizing etc (usually included in the price of the setting). The cost of the setting isn't that high, so any savings from using a US vendor would be minimal, especially when you factor in the cost of shipping and duties. If you're in the Toronto area I can recommend a store that I know sets outside diamonds.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
I looked at it and it now says "Not Available" so I think you are good.

Whew! Good good good! Thank you for telling me.

12mm? holy crap!

I know, right????

Daaaaaamn that pic is an awesome comparison! Wow. Wow wow wow.

Ok. So you're right, I can get that halo for the marquise. But they said then it would be considered custom and not eligible for returns. I didn't ask if they meant the diamond AND the setting or just the setting. Hmm. But it makes me nervous. I had a custom made dress once and didn't love it. This is much more expensive than a dress :lol:! But I adore the visual impact of a halo. Plus this diamond is long and skinny, I think it would flesh it out to have a halo. What would you do?

HAHA WOW I did not know that I had a limit! But apparently that is it! A bit too much for me haha. But WOW. Definitely takes up some major real estate! :appl:

I have to admit, what appeals to me about James Allen is the possibility for easy returns (what if I HATE it?) and also eventual trade-in/upgrades. So I might try very hard to find a setting of theirs that I like.

I think if it's on hold maybe not. But, worth asking IDJ.

I will think on this.

I know people here like to recommend the US vendors they are familiar with, but I think you should consider setting your stone locally. You can look around at the most common manufacturers for settings, then find a local jeweller that carries the brand and have them order the setting you want. Or just look at what your local jewellers have. It would save you the trouble of mailing back and forth, and then you'd have a local jeweller to do any maintenance, repair, future resizing etc (usually included in the price of the setting). The cost of the setting isn't that high, so any savings from using a US vendor would be minimal, especially when you factor in the cost of shipping and duties. If you're in the Toronto area I can recommend a store that I know sets outside diamonds.

I'm in BC! In Vancouver. That's not a bad idea. Maybe a stuller setting, like what was suggested at the beginning of this journey. Hmmmm thinking cap is on.

nmg

Rough_Rock
Premium
Questions while the clock is ticking (diamond from James Allen on hold for 40 more hours)

1. Any issues with this stone? Protect the points and I'm good to go? https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.91-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-4462404 How bad is the bow tie? I think some bow tie is kind of unavoidable with a marquise?

2. What James Allen setting would YOU put it in? Bonus points if it's not a custom creation. And budget can be flexible for setting. Bf is going to buy me the stone and I'm going to buy the setting. But I certainly wouldn't mind if you don't pick the most expensive one!

3. Anyone know anything about insurance? Should I insure this ring? Right when I get it?

Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results