shape
carat
color
clarity

Clear diamond cloudy in the sun, 41 pavillion 33.5 crown vs1 - why?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Puzzling. I'm inclined to think it is something on the surface that is stubbornly resisting your cleaning. I would advise taking it to a qualified professional in your area and explain the issue. It also could be the lab missed something (e.g. graining, diffuse cloud)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is definitely something scattering and reflecting light. Maybe clouds, maybe fluo that was missed during grading or both. Regardless, return the stone.
Yes, I just posted the same thing simultaneously!

Well, not the return the stone part. that would be a violation of forum policy for a trades person. Plus it does have a cool report date :)

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely no florescence in the VS1 stone. I checked it with a magnified UV light and the stone has no hint of it. While in the process, however, I found out many of my older smaller diamond pieces are scattered here and there with florescence - and that doesn't bother me.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Puzzling. I'm inclined to think it is something on the surface that is stubbornly resisting your cleaning. I would advise taking it to a qualified professional in your area and explain the issue. It also could be the lab missed something (e.g. graining, diffuse cloud)

yes, I hoped that would be the case so I used fine cotton tips and polished every facet of the stone after numerous cleanings with 40x magnification in my eyes. My husband saw me dong this for days and said "you're officially obsessed!" :wall:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sometimes possible for material left over from the polishing process to adhere stubbornly to the surface. Some cleaning solutions can also leave a residue. Cotton can leave behind some fibers. Try soaking in denatured alcohol and use a lint free cloth (like those made for lenses). Rub it pretty vigorously all over. Dry it good check it again next to the other stone.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I'm actually starting to enjoy the responses here - It has to be a dirty stone! It's got to be the florescence. No it can't be, it's a VS1 GIA certified stone! I went through the same logic for days, and this somewhat legitimizes my having gone nuts.

I just soaked it for 10 minutes in denatured alcohol, rinsed out with distilled water, rubbed it vigorously with a PEC PAD (i use for my SLR cams, I also tried KIMTEC paper earlier), and nope unfortunately no change...

The haziness seems internal to the stone.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry you are experiencing this - I can only imagine how frustrating it must be! Everyone has touched on the various things I would consider being the culprit but who knows? Maybe it is the diamond material itself. If you aren't having luck finding another match, I would consider returning them both and finding a vendor to help find a matched pair of diamonds for earrings. You have certainly done your due diligence but short of going mad, I'd just find two more stones and start again.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm actually starting to enjoy the responses here - It has to be a dirty stone! It's got to be the florescence. No it can't be, it's a VS1 GIA certified stone! I went through the same logic for days, and this somewhat legitimizes my having gone nuts.

I just soaked it for 10 minutes in denatured alcohol, rinsed out with distilled water, rubbed it vigorously with a PEC PAD (i use for my SLR cams, I also tried KIMTEC paper earlier), and nope unfortunately no change...

The haziness seems internal to the stone.
Then I am beginning to think something was missed at the lab. What does your vendor say?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have seen a stone that was rated as no florescence but was clearly strong blue in sunlight.
Under a GIA branded UV grading lamp it was indeed none but under some other UV lights it glowed strong blue.
In the pavilion up spotlight pictures what lighting did you use?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Bryan, I called the vendor for a return the day after I received the stone as soon as I noticed the defect in the sun a while ago. He and I agreed on finding a replacement stone but I still haven't found one yet. I called again today and asked for an RMA and he was going to call the supplying manufacturer with this problem and get back with me.

MissGotRocks - I probably should return both stones, but I actually love the SI1 stone that I ended up finding to match after I bought the VS1 stone. The SI1 stone has almost a VS1 clarity except one small feather near the girdle. It performs very similar to my E-ring stone that I absolutely adore, so I'm never letting it go.

I do wonder, however, how often this problem occurs in higher clarity stones without people realizing. I knew what to look for since I was keen to observing and admiring my H&A E-ring stone for many years, and I just knew right off the bat that something was wrong with the VS1 stone because I knew what to compare it to. The SI1 stone was better than expected, but the VS1 - phew - I wanted every excuse to keep it but it bothers me every time I see it in the sun. I am going to return it because it makes no sense to pay such premium for a stone that was incorrectly graded and looks frosty in the sun.

Last edited:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen a stone that was rated as no florescence but was clearly strong blue in sunlight.
Under a GIA branded UV grading lamp it was indeed none but under some other UV lights it glowed strong blue.
In the pavilion up spotlight pictures what lighting did you use?

I used a 225 lumen tactical LED flashlight for the upside-down photos, but it really doesn't matter whether I use a run of the mill LED light on my magnifying glass or simply be in the sunlight. I tested with PET urine testing UV flashlights as well as a UV light built in a magnifying loupe for florescence. I can detect florescence in my other diamonds, so I'm sure the stone is devoid of florescence.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ok, the spotlight should have been fairly low in UV then.
I really dont like to draw a conclusion on a stone I haven't seen in person but it certainly sounds like something is up internally with the stone.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This sounds super frustrating! And I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the purchase. I kept hoping with each new suggestion that it would solve the problem. Especially seeing how much you initially loved the stone.

I agree with the others here. Definitely return if you're not happy with the stone. Of it's bothering you now....think how much it would bother you in a few months after having it for a while and thinking about it.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bryan, I called the vendor for a return the day after I received the stone as soon as I noticed the defect in the sun a while ago. He and I agreed on finding a replacement stone but I still haven't found one yet. I called again today and asked for an RMA and he was going to call the supplying manufacturer with this problem and get back with me.

MissGotRocks - I probably should return both stones, but I actually love the SI1 stone that I ended up finding to match after I bought the VS1 stone. The SI1 stone has almost a VS1 clarity except one small feather near the girdle. It performs very similar to my E-ring stone that I absolutely adore, so I'm never letting it go.

I do wonder, however, how often this problem occurs in higher clarity stones without people realizing. I knew what to look for since I was keen to observing and admiring my H&A E-ring stone for many years, and I just knew right off the bat that something was wrong with the VS1 stone because I knew what to compare it to. The SI1 stone was better than expected, but the VS1 - phew - I wanted every excuse to keep it but it bothers me every time I see it in the sun. I am going to return it because it makes no sense to pay such premium for a stone that was incorrectly graded and looks frosty in the sun.

Hi blueMA,
I would like to buy the diamond for research. Could you please send GIA grading number and vendor contacts?

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool, your stone could be the subject of an article or research document! :))

I think this has already been asked, but does the number on the stone match the grading report?

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally I think it's a large diffuse cloud that was missed, and this stone isn't really vs1.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Blue,

If you're not going to take Sergey up on his offer, get the stone to an appraiser to make absolutely sure it matches the report and to get their take on it, if you still have time with the return window.

Great thread but so sorry for your disappointment.:cry:

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know this is stone is a big letdown to the OP but this stone is also extremely fascinating! I am dying to know what is causing the stone to look that way!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this is stone is a big letdown to the OP but this stone is also extremely fascinating! I am dying to know what is causing the stone to look that way!!!

I must confess, I am too CB.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought, you've louped the stone and it's not damaged in any way?

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Blue,

Thank you for this post. I did look at the GIA cert that you posted and I saw that there isn't more detail on the Clarity Characterics (like where's the Plot diagram of the inclusions) besides the words cloud, needle. There may be more clouds or surface graining, but not worth noting or mentioning? Whatever the case, GIA gave a clarity of VS1..I just wished there was a diagram to indicated where the cloud (how big) and where the needle is located.

Hope all works out when you return the stone. Since you will keep the SI1, will you work with the vendor to find a matching diamond? I think you should really consider sending the SI1 back also and work with a PS recommended vendor to help you find a matching pair. (WF, Brian Galvin, IDJ, VC, etc...)

-C4C

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue,

Thank you for this post. I did look at the GIA cert that you posted and I saw that there isn't more detail on the Clarity Characterics (like where's the Plot diagram of the inclusions) besides the words cloud, needle. There may be more clouds or surface graining, but not worth noting or mentioning? Whatever the case, GIA gave a clarity of VS1..I just wished there was a diagram to indicated where the cloud (how big) and where the needle is located.

Hope all works out when you return the stone. Since you will keep the SI1, will you work with the vendor to find a matching diamond? I think you should really consider sending the SI1 back also and work with a PS recommended vendor to help you find a matching pair. (WF, Brian Galvin, IDJ, VC, etc...)

-C4C

Hi Crazie ( that sounds terrible :-o)

Just to answer your question re the missing clarity map, GIA Diamond Dossier's don't feature those, whereas the full reports do.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
This sounds super frustrating! And I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the purchase. I kept hoping with each new suggestion that it would solve the problem. Especially seeing how much you initially loved the stone.

I agree with the others here. Definitely return if you're not happy with the stone. Of it's bothering you now....think how much it would bother you in a few months after having it for a while and thinking about it.

Yes, I'm going to return it. I've wasted enough time staring at it, and it simply looks too cloudy in the sun. I have long dark hair, but the cloudiness surely will be detectable by others when I have my hair up and out of the way as I often do. I drove around today staring at the stones in the sun while weekend-shopping with my husband and I told the VS1 stone "you're going back" because it looked like a cloudy I clarity stone, not a VS1 stone. It doesn't help that the SI1 stone looks crystal clear as can be right next to it.

The stone is photogenic in that it looks bluish in the photos but it's hazy and cloudy looking in person, only in direct harsh light. I checked again today with a set of UV lights, and it has absolutely no reaction to UV spectrum whatsoever. In fact, my other GIA certified stones with no florescence show very slight tinge of greenish cast to my surprise in the complete dark, but nope not this stone.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This thread is simultaneously heartbreaking and fascinating. I hope Serg is able to purchase that VS1 and share any findings he finds to the PS community.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Hi blueMA,
I would like to buy the diamond for research. Could you please send GIA grading number and vendor contacts?

Hi Serg, I'll PM you once I figure out a way to do so here with the details. I'm thinking the diamond has some sort of graining or diffused inclusions not reactive to UV nor easily detectable at 10x magnification, which is probably why it earned VS1 by the GIA. The GIA cert had already been uploaded on page 1.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
How cool, your stone could be the subject of an article or research document! :))

I think this has already been asked, but does the number on the stone match the grading report?

Yes, I've not only verified the inscription number but I'm absolutely sure that the arrow patterns match the 360 video I've seen of the diamond.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Serg, I'll PM you once I figure out a way to do so here with the details. I'm thinking the diamond has some sort of graining or diffused inclusions not reactive to UV nor easily detectable at 10x magnification, which is probably why it earned VS1 by the GIA. The GIA cert had already been uploaded on page 1.

I don’t think we can do PM’s here on PS.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Another thought, you've louped the stone and it's not damaged in any way?

Not damaged at all, and I'm sure the stone matches what I bought... except for the cloudiness in bright light.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don’t think we can do PM’s here on PS.

I'm not sure how often @Serg is on the forum but he might be contactable through his Cutwise platform :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results