shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion cut solitaire with eternity band - classic look?

P

PierreBear

Hi PSers! The iconic 6 prong setting for a solitaire modern round brilliant with an eternity wedding band is such a classic look. Does a cushion cut solitaire have the same timeless effect? For some reason, I still feel more drawn to the 6 prong setting but I'm not sure if it's more of a symmetry issue or I've just seen too many beauties on PS that is swaying my view. Also, would love to see an example of a Boston Jeff setting paired with a eternity band if anyone has any to share. Thanks in advance!!

Cushion Solitaire with plain band.PNG Capture.PNG

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @PierreBear :))

Are they your rings in the photos above? Because I think that set is a stone cold classic. What a STUNNING pairing!

I've always had rounds - yet would far prefer a cushion. I love that it's more of a definite shape, rather than a circle, which has no features to draw the eye. A cushion shows you curves and corners - it's just more interesting - and I think a cushion soli is beyond classy!

Just to be clear - when you say a six prong setting, you mean for a round diamond, correct? You're not considering a 6 prong setting for your cushion? Just want to be clear where your head is on this.

Anyway, I think the rings in the photos above are an incredibly gorgeous pairing - I would take them in a heartbeat!

And if they are yours, and there's a thread on them, can you post the link to the thread here pls? I'd love to read more about them and see some more shots!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the shape difference is too obvious with a band that high of ctw. Has the same look as if you used round side stones with a cushion side. Smaller stones give more of a “wall of diamonds” look and the shape difference isn’t notable. I aesthetically don’t like it this way

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i totally agree with @Niel on this one. I think a cusion solitaire with cushion eternity (with stones that size) is lovely though

P

PierreBear

Hi @PierreBear :))

Are they your rings in the photos above? Because I think that set is a stone cold classic. What a STUNNING pairing!

I've always had rounds - yet would far prefer a cushion. I love that it's more of a definite shape, rather than a circle, which has no features to draw the eye. A cushion shows you curves and corners - it's just more interesting - and I think a cushion soli is beyond classy!

Just to be clear - when you say a six prong setting, you mean for a round diamond, correct? You're not considering a 6 prong setting for your cushion? Just want to be clear where your head is on this.

Anyway, I think the rings in the photos above are an incredibly gorgeous pairing - I would take them in a heartbeat!

And if they are yours, and there's a thread on them, can you post the link to the thread here pls? I'd love to read more about them and see some more shots!

Oh my goodness... apologies that I did not clarify. I just found those images off of pinterest and would gladly be proud to wear that set if they were my own. I personally only have had rounds as well and when thinking about future projects, feel inclined to have something different without stepping into the step cut world.

Yes, six prong setting I meant for a round diamond. The classic Tiffany look, which still makes me swoon. Not sure what it is....

Feel free to copy this exact thing and create a thread and I'll be drooling all over!! Appreciate your comments that they are a classic look.

P

PierreBear

the shape difference is too obvious with a band that high of ctw. Has the same look as if you used round side stones with a cushion side. Smaller stones give more of a “wall of diamonds” look and the shape difference isn’t notable. I aesthetically don’t like it this way

Hi @Niel! Thanks for your commentary as you have been known on this website to provide outstanding aesthetic guidance. I actually wouldn't use

Another example I found on pinterest. I'm not a stacking girl so I think I would just use one band. This doesn't seem like it flows with the shape of the stone to add a band?
Capture.PNG

Me trying on a MRB with my wedding band. Essentially, I'm curious whether this type of look would still look good for a cushion cut. Or perhaps to get this look, you would have to go for a more rounded cushion and not an elongated? What band would you recommend to go with an elongated cushion cut? Appreciate your thoughts!!!!

Capture.1PNG.PNG

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion it’s a very classic/timeless look. Gorgeous! It would also look great with double prongs. I also love the combination with the band with rounds, as it is not too matchy matchy.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think all comes down to what you like on your hand. I would wear that size cushion in a solitaire setting with no other ring. For some reason I like just one ring on my finger though I love stackers on other people’s hands. Try on different bands and base your decision by what you think looks best on your hand. You have beautiful hands @PierreBear

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PierreBear -

Got it now. :)

I just wanted to come back and say - I hear you on not being able to walk away from the classic 6 prong setting. I'm currently having a 4ct ACA custom cut. I have the entire world of settings to choose from. This is what I'm going with....

For some reason I just can't seem to get past the classic 6 prong/round combo. I have no idea why. I designed the setting below - and it might seem like every other 6 prong setting (Oh hell, it probably IS like every other 6 prong setting for a round!) but this setting took me ages to come up with. And I cannot tell you how long I spent, working out the height of the arms and the proportions of the band, and on and on and on. Simple is HARD!

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

I actually like rounds and cushions together in the band/soli combo. But only so long as they're both of the same era - as in - round brilliant band with modern cut cushion, or vintage cut cushion with oec's in the band. For me, more than having an identical shape, the style of cut should be complimentary and proportionately flattering. And the color has GOT to match. So personally, I'd have no qualms about a cushion cut stone with your wedding band, especially since the band is slender; the stones in the band aren't large enough to constitute a shape difference. Mostly the shape is a long line across your finger, rather than a series of circles. So I think it would look just fine with a cushion, assuming they're both modern cuts.

Will look forward to seeing where this goes.... :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Niel! Thanks for your commentary as you have been known on this website to provide outstanding aesthetic guidance. I actually wouldn't use

Another example I found on pinterest. I'm not a stacking girl so I think I would just use one band. This doesn't seem like it flows with the shape of the stone to add a band?
Capture.PNG

Me trying on a MRB with my wedding band. Essentially, I'm curious whether this type of look would still look good for a cushion cut. Or perhaps to get this look, you would have to go for a more rounded cushion and not an elongated? What band would you recommend to go with an elongated cushion cut? Appreciate your thoughts!!!!

Capture.1PNG.PNG
I like it with the thin pave bands. I don’t think the shape of those are a problem.

The second photo the size would be ok but to my eye I can still see the shape of the stones.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a cushion solitaire, as you can probably tell from my avatar pic! LOL! However, I don't love the look of the large RB eternity with the large cushion solitaire. I think they compete too much, if that makes sense. A cushion eternity in that size would look great with that solitaire! Or a smaller, pave band with RBs would look lovely as well. Another option would be a band with mixed shapes, like the round/baguette band in my avatar (as long as the scale is kept pretty small to let the cushion take center stage).

P

PierreBear

I think all comes down to what you like on your hand. I would wear that size cushion in a solitaire setting with no other ring. For some reason I like just one ring on my finger though I love stackers on other people’s hands. Try on different bands and base your decision by what you think looks best on your hand. You have beautiful hands @PierreBear

I'm just like you, my PS friend. I have 2 e-rings and I wear it solo and another band on my right hand to signify the wedding band. However, I still hanker for the typical "wedding set." I would love to try on cushions but it seems rare to come by in the jewelry stores where it is already set. Maybe I need to make a trip to the diamond hubs such as LA and NY in the future! Appreciate your comments about my hands.

P

PierreBear

@PierreBear -

Got it now. :)

I just wanted to come back and say - I hear you on not being able to walk away from the classic 6 prong setting. I'm currently having a 4ct ACA custom cut. I have the entire world of settings to choose from. This is what I'm going with....

For some reason I just can't seem to get past the classic 6 prong/round combo. I have no idea why. I designed the setting below - and it might seem like every other 6 prong setting (Oh hell, it probably IS like every other 6 prong setting for a round!) but this setting took me ages to come up with. And I cannot tell you how long I spent, working out the height of the arms and the proportions of the band, and on and on and on. Simple is HARD!

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

I actually like rounds and cushions together in the band/soli combo. But only so long as they're both of the same era - as in - round brilliant band with modern cut cushion, or vintage cut cushion with oec's in the band. For me, more than having an identical shape, the style of cut should be complimentary and proportionately flattering. And the color has GOT to match. So personally, I'd have no qualms about a cushion cut stone with your wedding band, especially since the band is slender; the stones in the band aren't large enough to constitute a shape difference. Mostly the shape is a long line across your finger, rather than a series of circles. So I think it would look just fine with a cushion, assuming they're both modern cuts.

Will look forward to seeing where this goes.... :wavey:

Wow, 4 ct ACA in my DREAM setting. I completely understand all those exciting and beautiful trendy looks all over PS right now. Picking simple is very challenging as you said but I know in the end you can't go wrong with a stunning stone and a setting that allows the stone to shine. Your setting looks wonderful so far and I'm excited to see the final product. Can't wait to see your "show me the super duper big and classy bling" thread!!! :clap:

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Irishgrrrl, I love your bands? May I ask who made/designed them? Thanks!

Thank you! The pave band is my wedding band and it’s from Fay Cullen. The round/baguette band is from LOGR, and I had them upgrade the diamonds. Both bands are 18k. :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you! The pave band is my wedding band and it’s from Fay Cullen. The round/baguette band is from LOGR, and I had them upgrade the diamonds. Both bands are 18k. :))
Thank you! They’re beautiful :love:

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have an antique-style cushion in an inexpensive four prong solitaire that I wear with a BGD round half-eternity.

. 0A111806-C13D-4811-9580-6F514E5BA0E4.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results