shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion Ruby Cabochon and Old Diamond ring

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody. I would like to ask for your Help and Opinions.

I have found this Ruby Cab and Diamond Ring, I attached some pictures.
Ruby Cab 9.30cts. Old diamonds 5.10cts. Mounted in 14K Gold.
Greatly appreciate your advice! 2018-04-16 17.36.12.jpg
Best regards! 2018-04-16 17.36.12.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What advice are you after? It looks like a pretty ring.

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I´m not used to working with cabochon rubies. I liked the piece too. The problem is that I do not arrive in Europe until the next week and I should buy it without a certificate. The dealer who gives it to me is trustworthy, we have been working together for more than five years and would have no problem in returning it to him. I´ll know what´s your opinion about the cab, the colour and the clarity.
Thank you and best regards.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is priced as if it is a real ruby I would not buy without a certificate from a reputable lab. Why can’t you wait for a certificate? I’m sure your dealer is trustworthy, but that doesn’t mean that the person your dealer bought it from is too. The diamonds at the 5:30 and 9 o’clock position look more yellow than the others. Is that something that would bother you? Do you know if the setting is an antique or is it newly made for antique stones? It is a pretty ring and I think the proportion of the ruby to the halo is very pleasing.

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Thank you!
In principle, I do not plan to return to Asia for another eight months and I am afraid of losing the piece. On the other hand, I´ll take my flight back to Europe within 4 days not enough time to be able to certify it, since in the city where I am there is no reputable laboratory, and the nearest is two and a half hours plane away. I attached some more pictures in different lights. Thanks Pixlr_20180419082935812.jpg Pixlr_20180416131352223.jpg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, now I understand your concerns about losing the piece. Could the seller get the cert and then ship it to you? I understand shipping and tax costs can be a concern, but might be worth it to have less risk for this purchase. Or, could you use an escrow service where you take the ring and get it certified within a couple of weeks and the full amount is released if the cert says it is what the seller says it is? If you want the ring regardless you could also negotiate a price if the cert comes back with treatment or synthetic. Prices can be $$$ for rubies and if you are paying that you should have the cert verifying treatment / origin.

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Dear Kgizo,
Thank you very much for your support. I believe that without doubt, I will take the ring and I will take advantage of the second week of May in Geneva to certify it. My dealer leaves it in deposit until I have the certificate.
It´s a pretty ring and I love the colour.
Best regards

ChanterelleJ

Rough_Rock
Premium
I think this very much depends on the cert and the price. It's impossible to say that from photos but the ruby could be heavily treated. In that case you should pay only what the diamond setting is worth :)

If the ring is in Switzerland and the seller claims the ruby to be authentic and not glass filled or something like that, ask for a cert by Gubelin, SSEF or GGTL

KittyKatEve

Rough_Rock
Premium
If it is priced as if it is a real ruby I would not buy without a certificate from a reputable lab. Why can’t you wait for a certificate? I’m sure your dealer is trustworthy, but that doesn’t mean that the person your dealer bought it from is too. The diamonds at the 5:30 and 9 o’clock position look more yellow than the others. Is that something that would bother you? Do you know if the setting is an antique or is it newly made for antique stones? It is a pretty ring and I think the proportion of the ruby to the halo is very pleasing.
My thoughts exactly!

KittyKatEve

Rough_Rock
Premium
I would love to know what it comes back as! Please let us know. How much is the jeweler asking for it?

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Of course is an estate ring. I´m in Asia, and I´ll be in Geneva from 10th to 13th May attending the Gemgenéve Show, where I can certify on - site the ring with AGL, GIA, GUBELIN or SSEF that will be on the Show these days.
The last Price who is asking me after dealing is 5500 USD. for him the ruby is not treated, but he´s not sure about the origin.
Thanks to All of you!!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if the ruby is heated and the diamonds lower colour / clarity (some perhaps) I think 5500 US is a good buy.

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Last dealing price 5200USD, of course, I´ll pay the certificate. If something is wrong I can return it for my next travel. I promise that I´ll send you the results in May.
I attached other pics in daylight conditions.
l Pixlr_20180420075705159.jpg Pixlr_20180420075643027.jpg Pixlr_20180420081602970.jpg Pixlr_20180420075548786.jpg
Really Thankful to All of You! Will be what happens!!! Best regards!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very beautiful, I’m sure it won’t disappoint in person. The workmanship is magnificent.

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Hi,
As promised I update. Good News!
Finally, I got the certificate for the ruby cab and diamond ring from the thread. I was last May in Geneva as I told you before and I leave the ring to certify in the Gem Fair "Gemgenève" (Awesome Gem Fair, that I personally recommend for all gem lovers). The GIA was there, so I certify the ring with them. The only problem was that at the fair and because of the mounting the couldn´t certify the origin (that I have pending)
RUBY CAB.jpg
Nevertheless, it´s a ruby untreated/unheated. My eyes and my intuition were not confused. Thanks to all of you for your HELP!!!:dance:
IMG_20180420_093316.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your beautiful find!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent news, and what a bargain. It is a very beautiful ring, the workmanship is superb. Enjoy your beauty and well it often.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful! Congrats on your ruby ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results