shape
carat
color
clarity

F/G melee color for K diamond?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am considering buying a preloved setting for my K ideal cut 1.41ct diamond so I can enjoy it now and waiting to have what I want custom made. We are buying a new house - contract signed last night :dance:, moving expenses, etc., so I’d rather not spend the money right now on the custom setting I want, especially since the diamond purchase wasn’t planned.

I found an affordable pre-loved setting with f/g accents, but not sure how noticeable the color difference would be, albeit temporarily. Since the K is well cut, is it likely to be less obvious, or would it be a pretty glaring/obvious color difference, do you think?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, it would depend on the size and location of the melee. Can we see a pic of the setting you’re thinking about? Also, keep in mind that your stone probably faces up whiter than a typical K due to the ideal cut, so this just might work . . .

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My avatar is a K-colored cushion with f/g melee in the halo if that helps.
Do you have additional pics you can post by chance, or a link to a thread for your beautiful ring?

For me, it would depend on the size and location of the melee. Can we see a pic of the setting you’re thinking about? Also, keep in mind that your stone probably faces up whiter than a typical K due to the ideal cut, so this just might work . . .
It’s the BGD Sara. My K does face up pretty white to me, but I am not color sensitive.
47B8C98C-5352-49A8-B2D9-D708F79B571D.jpeg

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
_2587.jpeg 20160330_104358-1_resized.jpg _2606.jpeg
I tried to get some pics where center diamond was warmer. I agree with Irishgrrrl - an ideal should face up whiter.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With that setting, I think you’ll definitely be fine. Even if there would be a noticeable difference if the melee was right against the center stone, this setting puts a bit of distance between them which would probably help to minimize the effect.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @Irishgrrrl for the input and @absolutme77 for sharing pics of your gorgeous ring :love:

My only remaining concern is the .2mm difference between my diamond and the one that the ring was made for (original being .2mm larger). At the current price, I am good. But if I need to add a new head, it’s another $250 and we’d be approaching the cost point of it maybe not making sense. BGD says it "should" work ... but that doesn’t give me a lot of confidence. :(2 .2mm doesn’t sound like a big difference, but I know in jewelry, it can be a deal breaker.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I so very much appreciate the input on this question. Hubby & I weighed the pros & cons today, and assuming that we would have to replace the head, it’d be almost 25% of the cost of the setting I want, so we compromised, and I’m just going to get the setting I want and have coveted for some time. Stay tuned ... :sun:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How colour sensitive are you? The thing is a number of people here have rings like that with different coloured centre stones and melee some like it some do not. I have a high coloured J transitional in a Victor Canera halo with F/G melee and to be truthful I disliked the colour difference when I got it and it drives me nuts. Beautiful ring but all my eyes see is the difference in colour. Most people probably wouldn't even notice it. After a while I got used to it, but I still see it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am happy for you that you can go ahead and get the setting you really want! My answer to the original question was going to be to buy a cheap solitaire for a temp setting and not put much money into a setting you know you'd replace.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How colour sensitive are you? The thing is a number of people here have rings like that with different coloured centre stones and melee some like it some do not. I have a high coloured J transitional in a Victor Canera halo with F/G melee and to be truthful I disliked the colour difference when I got it and it drives me nuts. Beautiful ring but all my eyes see is the difference in colour. Most people probably wouldn't even notice it. After a while I got used to it, but I still see it.
That’s what I was afraid of - not being able to see it in person first to decipher my tolerance for the color difference before buying, and since it is a pre-loved piece it isn’t returnable. I am not too color sensitive, and I don’t mind warmth in diamonds, but I am pretty sure I’d see a difference in 4 color grades ... I just don’t know if that difference would or wouldn’t bother me. That, coupled with the cost to replace the head if needed ... it just doesn’t make good sense.

I am happy for you that you can go ahead and get the setting you really want! My answer to the original question was going to be to buy a cheap solitaire for a temp setting and not put much money into a setting you know you'd replace.
Thank you. I toyed with that as well, but just didn’t find any that I really liked enough except the pre-loved Sara. But at worst case scenario (needing a new head), it would be $600 plus shipping the diamond & possible setting fee for that, so it just doesn’t make much sense when the ring I really want is only ~$1K more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results