shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help...have diamond on hold!

mnturco

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello, so I've selected a diamond for BE to place on hold for me while I wait on an ASET image. In the meantime, I was hoping for some opinions based on the diamond specs if I made the right decision in further pursing this stone. Any help in making this decision would be greatly appreciated! I can post the ASET image once I receive it within the next couple days for further comments. Thank you!

Carat: 1.05
Measurements: 6.52mm x 6.49mm x 4.04mm
Triple Excellent
Color: D
Clarity: VVS2
Girdle: Medium (faceted)
Culet: Pointed
Depth: 62.1%
Table: 55.5%
Crown Angle: 35.5
Pavilion: 40.4
HCA score: 0.8
Fluorescence: None

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No issues so far. Is there a specific concern here?

mnturco

Rough_Rock
Premium
Still waiting on my ASET Image, however, my concern is mainly with the Crown and Pavilion angles. From what I could find online, the CA of 35.5 is just above, and the PA of 40.4 is just below, the "Ideal" parameters. I did read that CA's and PA's can compliment each other, and offset eachother to some degree. This being the case, I didn't know if there were any glaring concerns I should have even without seeing the ASET? By numbers alone, would you be concerned on the light performance of this stone?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is why the definitions of ideal changed a decade or so ago. The CA and PA don't live in isolation. 35.5/40.4 should be just fine.

mnturco

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you! For better or worse, there is so much information out there, that it can be tough wading through it all (especially being inexperienced)...once I receive the images I will post here to provide more insight and ensure I am making a good buy. Thanks again.

mnturco

Rough_Rock
Premium
So just received the ASET image for the diamond I have on hold. The diamond meets or exceeds all of my other 4 C's criteria, and was graded as an Excellent cut. But not sure what to make of the ASET, should I be concerned? Thank you all for your help!

ASET Diamond Hold.JPG

Attachments

• ASET Diamond Hold.JPG
    ASET Diamond Hold.JPG
    449.6 KB · Views: 37

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's symmetric, the arrows are crisp, and the area under the table is not white or even pink. All that is good.

That's about as sophisticated as my ASET reading skills get.

mnturco

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you ChristineRose! My ASET reading skills are non-existent lol, but from what I read online, I know black = bad (meaning leakage). Based on this image, I just wasn't sure if I should be concerned with what I'm seeing, and move on to the next. I can tell enough to see this isn't an Ideal stone, but didn't know if it was bad enough to justify passing on it...maybe someone else can chime in?

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ideal is not an agreed upon term. It scores a .8 on the HCA, and there doesn't appear to be anything that would penalize it, things like a thick girdle or bad minor facets.

I would agree that it's not a superideal, which are cut to extreme precision using computerized tools, numerous spot checks, and measurement by laser, etc.

mnturco

Rough_Rock
Premium
My initial draw to the stone was the fact that it was colorless, and had great clarity at VVS2...which I realize isn't necessarily required to have a good looking stone, but all in all appeared to be a great all around...however, I have placed another option on hold, G color, VS2, which DOES have an Ideal cut. HCA 1.4 and based on specs alone, falls into both GIA EX and AGS0 cuts. My thinking is that I can drop down in color and clarity if the cut truly is superior. I am waiting now on the ASET from this new option. My only concern is that these being lab diamonds, the certs. are both from IGI. I want to avoid any stone that would appear "tinted or yellowish" once set in a platinum setting...do you expect that an IGI G color would appear white? Or should I be concerned that it is really maybe a GIA H or even I?

Edit:

Thought I would add in the specs of Option 2. I plan to compare both diamonds, and based on what I've read, cut being king, select the stone that appears it would perform best optically. I just need to confirm that the G doesn't have any clarity issues and is eye-clean.

1.03 carats
VS2
Ideal cut
Ex sym and polish
D: 61.5%
T: 57%
CA: 34.0
PA: 41.0
Girdle: Med to ST
Culet: None
Flour: None

Last edited:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The IGI question is a tough one. You can always get it graded by an independent appraiser. But another way to approach it is to see the stone in a variety of light and buy it if you like the color and buy something else if it's too yellow. You can make that judgment without having any idea what IGI called it. But that requires you to see the stone in person. Or possibly you can get someone at Brilliant Earth to weigh in.

IGI is not dishonest the way many other labs are. They grade lots of stones, but they tend to be low end stones and IGI is quick and dirty. If it's IGI USA it is probably an H, but as you say, an H is already on the border of what some people would call too tinted. If it's not IGI USA, then you can assume it will be overgraded.

mnturco

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you ChristineRose for your advice...it is IGI USA that graded the stone. So I guess it's possible that the stone is a G, but better to assume H. I will see what type of images BE can provide, and as you suggest see if they can weigh in at all regarding the color. They do have a good return policy, so I could always buy the stone and return if necessary, but hopefully I can avoid that pain.

Now assuming the stone is actually an H, is there any type of guidance for diamond color in a platinum setting? Generally would this look too warm? Or does it mostly depend on personal taste?

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
An H or I will look whiter in platinum actually. Yours is well cut so it will face up bright, and the platinum will make it look whiter from the sides. It will depend some on the setting. Some people even think that low color diamonds look better than high color diamonds in platinum.

mnturco

Rough_Rock
Premium
Great to know, thanks again for your help. Once I receive the additional images I will post them here, and hopefully get some comparison feed back on the 2 options. I feel much better about the color now though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results