shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose - Tapered BGD solitaire or non tapered?

Please help me decide!!

• Tapered half round

• Classic half round (non tapered)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto RS...you'll get the illusion of a larger stone with the pinch...plus the lines on it are so pretty and feminine!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love a tapered band. It highlights the diamond and makes the ring look graceful, feminine and dainty.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the tapered one! But keep in mind that the tapered version might create more of a gap if you plan to wear it with a wedding band, whereas the non-tapered version would probably sit more flush with a band. If you don't like too much of a gap, maybe go with the non-tapered version. (Personally, I love a gap so I'd stick with the tapered one anyway!)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tapered!

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much guys!! I was leaning towards the tapered myself but you know how it is, it’s always nice to get some reassurance and guidance from you learned pricescopers! Looks like the tapered is a winner. Please keep voting if anyone else has a preference one way or the other! I’ll come back and post the final result ;)2=)2

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I voted for the classic half round ~ I have it myself. I don't like a tapered band (for myself), I don't know why it doesn't look good on my hand.

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@JoJa12345 thanks so much for replying!! Do you have any photos of your ring you would be happy sharing?=)2

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wowee, that looks gorgeous!! Do you mind sharing what diamond and finger size you have? Were you happy with the construction, height, prongs etc? Thanks!!

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wowee, that looks gorgeous!! Do you mind sharing what diamond and finger size you have? Were you happy with the construction, height, prongs etc? Thanks!!
Thank you! Ring size is a 5 ~ I need a 5 because of my knuckle size sad :((. It's a very sturdy, well made ring ~ I will say I wish it was a tad thicker (it's 2mm) diamond is 2.11ctw, but that is a total preference as many PSrs love the 2mm size band. Prongs are awesome and almost invisible in real life, funny I never paid attention to prongs and now it's the first thing I notice on a ring. I do wish it was set a little bit lower but from what I was told it can't be any lower because of the dimensions of the diamond. It isn't overly high, I would just prefer it a bit lower as I am kinda hard on my jewelry and am always nervous I'm going to hit it on something.

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your detailed reply!! I think the classic half round suits your diamond and hand really well. I’m also worried that it will be too high, too low, too thin, etc etc lol sad :(( it’s bit stressful to order online without seeing in person and even from photos it’s hard to tell these things. I appreciate your feedback :mrgreen2:

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your detailed reply!! I think the classic half round suits your diamond and hand really well. I’m also worried that it will be too high, too low, too thin, etc etc lol sad :(( it’s bit stressful to order online without seeing in person and even from photos it’s hard to tell these things. I appreciate your feedback :mrgreen2:

I totally understand what you mean ~ buying online (especially a setting) is kind of frustrating. With your diamond and finger size I think it will look perfect in the setting (tapered or classic). Can you go into a store and try on tapered? That's what I did so I knew I wouldn't like it on my hand and so I went with the classic. I have seen the tapered on other people and it does look really nice ~ you have tiny fingers at a size 4 so really either one will look great on you! :D

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That’s a really good idea, I’ve been meaning to do that. I tried on the Tiffany classic setting and quite liked that so that confused me because I had been leaning towards the tapered. Decisions decisions

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for tapered! I have owned both types and always go back to the tapered because of how it makes the center stone pop. There are times when I felt the tapered was slightly too thin, and if you don't like a gap between your ering and wedding band, the classic is better for that. BUT when DSS starts setting in, I'm always glad I chose the tapered. It really makes the center stone shine!

Here are some inspiration photos that convinced me to order my first BGD tapered. It's from another Pricescoper and she has a similar post on PS but I found this one first. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...new-setting-from-brian-gavin-diamonds.890701/

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks @erislynn!! I was going to ask for photos but I did a little stalking and found them. So beautiful!! Would you mind sharing your finger size and carat weight? I also worry a little that the band will look thin but I have small fingers so hopefully it would be ok
I’ve also looked at those purseblog photos a lot when I’ve been trawling the Internet looking for examples - those are some really nice photos and I agree it makes me want the setting as well. The only thing is that she writes that she had the setting made a bit higher than the standard one so that made it a bit tricky to know how much difference there would be - if that makes sense!

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @erislynn!! I was going to ask for photos but I did a little stalking and found them. So beautiful!! Would you mind sharing your finger size and carat weight? I also worry a little that the band will look thin but I have small fingers so hopefully it would be ok
I’ve also looked at those purseblog photos a lot when I’ve been trawling the Internet looking for examples - those are some really nice photos and I agree it makes me want the setting as well. The only thing is that she writes that she had the setting made a bit higher than the standard one so that made it a bit tricky to know how much difference there would be - if that makes sense!

I'm glad you found my photos, and thanks for the kind words! :) I'm a 5.5 and my latest BGD tapered holds a 1.0 ct. On your finger, the tapered shouldn't look too thin at all. Also, when Ame asked for a higher setting, I think all that was changed was the prongs were left maybe a half millimeter taller. The shank should have been the same as the original design, so her photos are a pretty good representation of the real thing.

Still, doesn't hurt to try some things on IRL and go with what you like!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tapered! It's such an elegant look.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
BD548FF1-40D1-4D1F-9567-86E551E09E26.jpeg E044AF63-E474-486A-9833-1156628E0D67.jpeg 0A91CD11-CFC5-486F-A04B-FBBAB2A2CFFC.jpeg B431E5DC-EE07-444C-8B1C-102EADD6A532.jpeg B9DCE8D7-0219-42A3-9905-1E1799D60A65.jpeg IMG_2343.JPG IMG_1779.JPG I vote half round. I have tapered and really wish I had gone half round. I find it way too thin and sharp. The high shine of the half round will give a bit of an illusion of a taper without being wire thin.
Size 5 finger, .85ish stone. Just adding a bunch of pics as I know how much I analysed pics before ordering.

Attachments

• F5D7619C-D096-4005-971C-B077E9B65789.jpeg
    F5D7619C-D096-4005-971C-B077E9B65789.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 6D3AADF2-A7E0-44EA-A091-3B74D6B01627.jpeg
    6D3AADF2-A7E0-44EA-A091-3B74D6B01627.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 92DDA1BD-4366-41DB-88D3-E4372CD6C146.jpeg
    92DDA1BD-4366-41DB-88D3-E4372CD6C146.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander yes I really like the Melissa! ^_^ I recently helped a friend to find her engagement ring and she picked that setting
I’m not as big a fan of the profile of the classic truth for some reason though

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh nooo @Shellcm :cry2: that is exactly what worries me that will bug me with the tapered half round!!
Is there a chance of exchanging the setting for you?
To throw another one into the mix, what do you think of the knife edge? https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-style-knife-edge-5336
The knife edge will be "sharp" too. I have several friends who have replaced their knife-edge and similar profile rings as they were not terribly comfortable. But, it depends on your finger shape too. When you rest your fingers together, can you see space between your fingers or not? If not, you may share @Shellcm experience. If you have air between your fingers (i.e., your finger bases are significantly narrower than knuckle) you may be ok.

I really prefer the Melissa too, but I really like cathedral settings and I like those triangle cutouts from the profile. I know not everyone does.

Edited to add, agree on the classic Truth.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
For me it’s not a comfort issue but an aesthetic. I’ve gone back and added a bunch of pics to my post. Sometimes I like my ring but more often than not I wish it was more substantial. I thought I wanted delicate but I don’t love it in real life. If you liked the Tiffany the knife edge may be closer to that - it looks to me like they have rounded it off around the sides? Maybe it would be comfortable.

Exchange - I’m past that window but I’m in Australia so it’s not that easy and I’ll just live with it. I think if I was going to reset I’d go for something quite different- maybe a grace. But I barely wear my e ring, I just wear the wedding ring and add the e ring if I am going to dinner or something, so I don’t look at it enough for it to worry me. If I had the time again though I wouldn’t choose the tapered setting.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Also, I’m about 10kg lighter than I was in the hand shots above and I have gaps between my fingers. Still doesn’t make me love the ring! If anything having kind of bony hands isn’t flattered by a thin ring, I feel like maybe some heft would make my hands look better. But I haven’t gone and tried on a bunch of rings at this weight to compare, so I could be completely wrong

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander That’s a good test! There are gaps with straight fingers but not with bent fingers. It seemed like the Tiffany setting knife edge was comfortable enough but I did only have it on for a short time. I quite like cathedral settings too, but like some “cutouts” on the profile more than others

@Shellcm hmmm you’ve given me a lot to think about.. just when I thought I’d made a decision lol! But it’s good to think about these things a lot before a purchase like this I guess. I wish I could see the settings in person. I also quite like the Elegance from BG. Thank you for adding your photos, it really helps a lot. For what it’s worth I think your ring looks great :) https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/elegance-18k-white-gold-5415w18

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I’m sorry to be so negative about it - I shouldn’t be, I don’t hate my ring, I just don’t think it’s ‘me’, but maybe it’s you? You’re getting a bigger diamond and the ring size is smaller, it will look different (better!) than mine. But I’d go try as many different styles as you can before ordering. What are their options for exchange if you don’t like the setting? Or if you’re in the US is a cheap domestic flight to the storefront an option?

Attachments

• 5D7CC42D-3E61-44EC-9072-E7664C93FC9D.jpeg
    5D7CC42D-3E61-44EC-9072-E7664C93FC9D.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 23

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry to be so negative about it - I shouldn’t be, I don’t hate my ring, I just don’t think it’s ‘me’, but maybe it’s you? You’re getting a bigger diamond and the ring size is smaller, it will look different (better!) than mine. But I’d go try as many different styles as you can before ordering. What are their options for exchange if you don’t like the setting? Or if you’re in the US is a cheap domestic flight to the storefront an option?

Not at all, I really appreciate all the replies in favour of the tapered setting, but it’s really helpful to see the other side too, especially when you’ve voiced one of the concerns I had with the setting too.
Perhaps I’ll ask if I can exchange or return the setting if I don’t like it, I think this should be possible. I’m in Australia too so it is a bit tricky but not overly so. (Where are all the Australian super ideal vendors ?!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results