shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored Stone/Diamond 5-stone Anniversary band— 3:2 or 2:3?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Early thoughts for an anniversary band to be made later this year.... hubby really likes the idea of using colored stones for this. I love that he has a preference and wants to be a part of this brainstorming. :) Just looking for general impressions here—what do you prefer? Three diamonds or two on the band? Anything else I should consider? I’m looking for an antique vibe and would probably want interesting shoulders. Art nouveau-ish. Still thinking about that.

Here are some ideas from a quick search on 1stdibs!

E492919C-5061-4A9B-B948-97153DEC9B33.png 8579E2E5-76BF-4040-867B-03C10B234F4C.png 8396FC7D-F729-44DA-BE40-E6E6349C5B72.png F2F0A6A4-86F9-485E-A9A5-4921D0977B59.png 915B3702-BEB2-45C7-AD4E-839BD6C31616.png 0AE73807-7D07-4194-9C7A-1EA44950567B.png 392885AE-F545-4D30-9352-07ECC1833F03.png

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the sapphire and diamond norah by cvb on love affair diamonds? Luscious! At a great price.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A fun idea. I personally prefer the 3 diamond and 2 colored stone band.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the sapphire and diamond norah by cvb on love affair diamonds? Luscious! At a great price.

Off to look! :halo:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think 3 diamond 2 colored stone looks better, but it depends, what look you are going for: diamond band with colored stones or colored stones band with diamonds?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 3 diamonds and 2 CS style.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like more diamonds most of the time. But I would be flexible depending on what’s available within your price point and then decide based on which ring had the best combination of nice stones, regardless of the distribution.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A fun idea. I personally prefer the 3 diamond and 2 colored stone band.

I do, too! Thanks for your opinion! I personally prefer all five diamonds. :lol: But I really do love that DH is wanting to be more involved in this purchase than most previous ones. I can always get a RHR into rotation at some point that is totally what I want... but this anniversary band will be a special one. :)

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think 3 diamond 2 colored stone looks better, but it depends, what look you are going for: diamond band with colored stones or colored stones band with diamonds?

Originally when DH brought up an anniversary band, I envisioned a classic five stone or a 3-stone band- type ring (Edwardian/Art Deco). But as we were talking, he said, “Don’t you have enough diamonds? [I don’t]. You don’t have any emeralds or rubies.” So I guess the look I’m going for is diamond band, heavy on the CS. That probably answers my question! But I do have the shoulders in mind—I could incorporate CS melee there. Still thinking!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like more diamonds most of the time. But I would be flexible depending on what’s available within your price point and then decide based on which ring had the best combination of nice stones, regardless of the distribution.

I like more diamonds most of the time, too; I like the way you put that! :twisted2: I’d be much more concerned about getting three CS to match/coordinate. Three diamonds seems easier in that regard. :think:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you really want a 3 or 5 stone diamond band I think that’s what you should get. You could tell him that emeralds aren’t great for daily wear and rubies are more expensive than diamonds... both true! But if you’ve decided you really want a diamond/CS mix then that’s a different story.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I liked the 2 colored stone for the emerald band and for the ruby band I preferred 3 colored stones.. I think it depends on the stone for me...

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you really want a 3 or 5 stone diamond band I think that’s what you should get. You could tell him that emeralds aren’t great for daily wear and rubies are more expensive than diamonds... both true! But if you’ve decided you really want a diamond/CS mix then that’s a different story.

My priority really is that DH is involved in this particular project. I have had plenty of my own projects in the past, and will have more of those in the future. :Up_to_something: But this one a joint project. :)

I’m still browsing tons of websites to see what I like and what the common components are. I know I want old cut diamonds, but I’m not set on the type or the shape yet. I’m leaning toward old mine diamonds with emerald cut/cushion CS, but that could change tomorrow. I’m glad I have time to think this through. Our budget is around $4K.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I liked the 2 colored stone for the emerald band and for the ruby band I preferred 3 colored stones.. I think it depends on the stone for me...

I agree, it does really depend on the individual ring, I think! Our annual indoor antique market is tomorrow—I can’t wait to browse irl and take some pictures. I’m hoping that it will give me some direction. We have a huge antique market here monthly from May-Nov. Tomorrow is the smaller version that they do in the winter.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree, it does really depend on the individual ring, I think! Our annual indoor antique market is tomorrow—I can’t wait to browse irl and take some pictures. I’m hoping that it will give me some direction. We have a huge antique market here monthly from May-Nov. Tomorrow is the smaller version that they do in the winter.
That sounds really fun! I love going to stuff like that. Seeing stuff with your own eyes and on your own hands makes all the difference.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I have a thought that is totally NOT what you asked. Feel free to ignore me :)

The problem with compromise with another party on a ring you will wear is that by each party moving toward the middle, you both may be unhappy. You clearly love diamonds (and want more...). And he wants color. Not sure of your budget, but what about colored diamonds? Or an all color stackable 1/2 or full eternity. You can add an all diamond band as you move through other events. Maybe this anniversary band is something that is more unique in shape than just in color. Few examples below.

If you look at spinel or sapphires, they have great range of colors (a ruby just being a red corundum -- red enough to be ruby and not sapphire). Both can be acquired in a range of sizes and precision cut from melee sized and up. I personally prefer the more burgundy shades of red available in spinel, but that is just personal choice.

Just a thought...

TheGemstoneProject Red spinels in her custom accolade band
upload_2018-2-17_16-14-10.png

the shape that inspired the above from her custom line
upload_2018-2-17_16-16-7.png

Erika winters has a range of really unique wedding bands that go from needing lots of diamond to few. I don't know for sure, but she may be willing to customize with colored diamonds or even spinel or sapphire.
upload_2018-2-17_16-18-9.png
upload_2018-2-17_16-19-29.png

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That sounds very cool... I wish my area had something like that.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those are all gorgeous ideas. You are giving me something to think about here, with the thoughts on compromising... I will post later tonight or tomorrow with more on this. I will show you some of my first ideas and I think it will make some things clearer (to me, especially, LOL). The budget is about $4K, but that will be finalized later this spring when his bonus is announced. I’m glad I am not feeling rushed for this and I can really be sure this ring is what I want.

Thank you again for the reply and the “food for thought!”

So, I have a thought that is totally NOT what you asked. Feel free to ignore me :)

The problem with compromise with another party on a ring you will wear is that by each party moving toward the middle, you both may be unhappy. You clearly love diamonds (and want more...). And he wants color. Not sure of your budget, but what about colored diamonds? Or an all color stackable 1/2 or full eternity. You can add an all diamond band as you move through other events. Maybe this anniversary band is something that is more unique in shape than just in color. Few examples below.

If you look at spinel or sapphires, they have great range of colors (a ruby just being a red corundum -- red enough to be ruby and not sapphire). Both can be acquired in a range of sizes and precision cut from melee sized and up. I personally prefer the more burgundy shades of red available in spinel, but that is just personal choice.

Just a thought...

TheGemstoneProject Red spinels in her custom accolade band
upload_2018-2-17_16-14-10.png

the shape that inspired the above from her custom line
upload_2018-2-17_16-16-7.png

Erika winters has a range of really unique wedding bands that go from needing lots of diamond to few. I don't know for sure, but she may be willing to customize with colored diamonds or even spinel or sapphire.
upload_2018-2-17_16-18-9.png
upload_2018-2-17_16-19-29.png

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That sounds very cool... I wish my area had something like that.

Lots of pretty things to look at and try on, but my daughters ended up with trinkets and not me today! Both got lockets—one civil war era and one art nouveau. It’s a fun tradition that we have, to go treasure hunting together. :)

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Lots of pretty things to look at and try on, but my daughters ended up with trinkets and not me today! Both got lockets—one civil war era and one art nouveau. It’s a fun tradition that we have, to go treasure hunting together. :)
Mind sharing the general area? May I live near... crosses fingers:D

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Two coloured dots seem lost, somehow (although I think otherwise about three-stone rings with coloured side - go figure ... ). I'd do a more graduated band (@mrs-b has the proportions exact !), with the center coloured.

Just one vote, of course.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn't the ring of mine to which Valeria's referring (I think - you mean my 7 stone ring, yes @Valeria?) - but this is my 5 stone ring which might be the sort of thing you're looking for. I'm really happy with both size and colors in this ring. In fact, it's my favorite ring of all the rings I own.

IMG_2355 copy.JPG

3 metal combo alt sets_2.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This isn't the ring of mine to which Valeria's referring (I think - you mean my 7 stone ring, yes @Valeria?) - but this is my 5 stone ring which might be the sort of thing you're looking for. I'm really happy with both size and colors in this ring. In fact, it's my favorite ring of all the rings I own.

IMG_2355 copy.JPG

3 metal combo alt sets_2.jpg

Wow, what a beauty! Yes, I do love that Victorian band style. I tried on a few at Lang’s when we were in San Francisco last weekend. But none like yours!

I think I am leaning toward having my own ring made for this anniversary. I have been going back and forth about buying an antique ring or having one made. I will make a separate list with more of these thoughts!

Thank you for posting your beauty in this thread! :kiss2:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rings that DH and I both liked at Lang’s last weekend...

I definitely want a band-style. Nothing that has a solitaire with side stones where the solitaire is significantly higher or larger than the side stones. I have that in my ering. :)

Many of these rubies were too purplish for me. I’m not picky about origin or clarity or heat or oil (emeralds), but I am picky about color!

I love Edwardian, Art Deco, and Art nouveau styles.

What I would love is a .6 or .7 AVC in the center with colored stones flanking in some way. More inspiration pics to come this weekend.

I’ll just keep all my Operation Ring Recon thoughts in this thread!

4F0CB9ED-78CB-43B9-86D3-A8ECABD043AA.jpeg 1EF8893B-6481-420A-817A-F226E6AB5B44.jpeg 8D268E2B-BE88-42C6-9186-A03B6124D937.jpeg AEC379A5-3AC0-41C7-9DFA-CBCAB9CC69C0.jpeg F02A03B5-18EB-4D00-9D21-302244E9A898.jpeg 46976C4C-8CCA-4202-8B02-6116E5DB6732.jpeg FBCDD1FA-6EA8-4007-A6EC-1B0A935B8E47.jpeg 8829CBFA-5E53-46DE-AA38-F0B32477EFC3.jpeg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I realize these are all CS stones—and I’m leaning toward a diamond center! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results