color
clarity

60/60 IS/ASET Image

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
IMG_7882.jpg IMG_7872.JPG
Hi all,
I saw this diamond yesterday but disregarded it because of the 2.8 HCA score and I thought the ASET image showed light leakage in the center. Now after reading a thread below on 60/60 I am having second thoughts. Does it leak light under the table? Do you think the large table reflection is distracting? I thought the ASET photo was better but still attaching the IS image just in case. The proportions are

Depth 59.7%
Table 59%
CA 32
PA 41.4

Thank you

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The IS looks fine to me.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a look at this thread. Your stone will be similar. Low crown 60/60. It will be brilliant with lots of white light, but are generally low in fire (small pin flashes). These can be very beautiful, but diamond preferences often desire higher fire.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/60-60-looking-for-advice.238110/

It also appears to have a rather substantial inclusion in the center and I'd question if it is eyeclean.

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you @valeria101 and @rockysalamander! It is an SI2 but the inclusion is less visible than the SI1 I've been considering. On the other thread John Pollard mentioned that the 2.8 HCA score on a similar stone can be due to lack of contrast, but this diamond has 50/80% star/lower half so I'm guessing the contrast should be fine? Also judging by ASET? Then is it the lack of fire that brings it up to 2.8 on HCA?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you @valeria101 and @rockysalamander! It is an SI2 but the inclusion is less visible than the SI1 I've been considering. On the other thread John Pollard mentioned that the 2.8 HCA score on a similar stone can be due to lack of contrast, but this diamond has 50/80% star/lower half so I'm guessing the contrast should be fine? Also judging by ASET? Then is it the lack of fire that brings it up to 2.8 on HCA?
A couple of reasons. First, that proportions-combo causes light to reflect around inside the diamond before the rays return to the eye. It's not leakage, so the diamond will be bright - as you see from the 2D reflector images posted - but it won't benefit from the efficient 'in-out' ray path intensity some other combos promote, and the dynamics of scintillation/contrast may also be reduced. As a side-note, this proportions combo won't be as likely to 'face-up' whiter than its lab-graded color as more efficient combos, since the rays are staying inside the diamond longer, illuminating the body color that's present. Second, yes, there is some brightness and fire reduction, on the whole.

All that said, this combo is predicted as an AGS1 candidate. The IS and ASET demonstrate that this is a very bright diamond. So it's not bad in any way, just a different make and resulting look.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do not have an example of 'dry white light bright' RBC, versus the Ideal breed ... But someone did cut off the crown of some square step cuts, achieving the EXTREME 'dry white' look in this shape: you might find it interesting ... WWW (for comparisn, this is what square step cuts made for play oflight, not just brighteness look like - www).

_
Footnote: I you read my older posts, you'd hear me admiring both. I am not very likely to recommend my taste, sure enough ! It is what it is ... The two stones perched between the lips of a cowrie shell are diamond dreams - a high achievement, IHMO ... The other are oddities, meant to be looked at the other way around (not kidding).

PS.

@John Pollard , perhaps cutting the head (crown) off a RBC would bring the argument home for all ageas ? (only half joking)

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@John Pollard, @valeria101 - thanks so much, really apprecited. Very educational and interesting. I think I prefer a more balanced look. Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results