shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking amethyst RHR

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I posted recently about finding one on Instagram (antique jewellery dealer), but I thought it was expensive for what it was. I'd like to get myself a RHR for my 40th this year, or drop enough hints so that DF buys me one :lol-2:

I'm not sure about reputable places over here (UK) so I'm looking for advice, recommendations and inspiration. Specifications:
It should not overshadow my E-ring.
I like antique styles, oval,cushion & emerald cut, halo or trilogy. Possibly heart shaped...?
Originally I was thinking I didn't want it to look like an engagement ring but there is so much diversity in E-rings these days that's difficult to do.
It should be white metal, and I'm thinking so that it doesn't end up being too expensive it will need to be WG.
As I don't want it to overshadow my e-ring the size should be around 10mm or less (my e-ring including halo is 12mm x 11mm)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would make sure I buy one from a highly reputable dealer or lapidary. Unfortunately, there's tons of synthetic amethyst on the market and it's virtually impossible to tell it from a natural stone. It's also found in that Siberian purple blue that is highly coveted.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I would contact Jeff Davis of eBay fame (seller ID jeffdvs101) and ask if he has any stones available that may suit (he does not have any listed currently in his shop), or ask if he can cut you one to your specifications.

Then look for an inexpensive ring setting separately, or have one made (my go-to setting vendor is diamondmounts on eBay).

Either send the stone to the setting vendor for it to be set, or have it set by a local jeweller once you have both the stone and setting in hand.

It cost me 100 GBP (I am in UK too) to have my EC diamond taken out of its original setting and set into its new forever home, both platinum and bezel setting (a pic of the EC in its original setting along with its new setting):

ecsemimounthandshot03.jpg

I did it this way with my EC as I did not want to send it to China where diamondmounts is based in the post.

However I had sent many less expensive stones for setting into custom made settings in the past, including my Richard Homer concave cut Amethyst:

IMAG1844.jpg

Sorry, can't do links to eBay shops.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's Jeff Davies BTW.
DK :))

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the replies and recommendations, will start to have a hunt. I'd been looking on etsy but like @T L mentioned, its hard to tell which are synthetic and even whether the stones look like they do or whether they are photoshopped.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
61D6C60E-F90E-4F13-8E0A-522F2CD51A46.jpeg Have a look at the settings from Ivy& Rose (or “mydiamondzone” on eBay). They have the most beautiful vintage style rings at very good prices. A few PSers have bought there and been very happy with the result. They are in the US. This is the one I’m coveting,

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I follow them on Instagram as well , so I'm glad that they are reputable. I will have a search for threads for reviews :cool2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I follow them on Instagram as well , so I'm glad that they are reputable. I will have a search for threads for reviews :cool2:
Check “Fabulous CS rings under $1250” - Cockatiel has the setting l love set with her spess. It looks fabulous.

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello not sure of your budget but I love the designs of Kiki McDonough, out of England. I have an amethyst, oval shaped, RHR by her and it’s one of my favorite pieces. I wanted a lighter color amethyst more of a lavender and she definitely delivered.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
oh comeon @Funnyface850, how can you tease us without providing a picture?

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello not sure of your budget but I love the designs of Kiki McDonough, out of England. I have an amethyst, oval shaped, RHR by her and it’s one of my favorite pieces. I wanted a lighter color amethyst more of a lavender and she definitely delivered.

Her collections are lovely, but I think they are just a touch outside my budget for now. Ideally I'd like to keep it under £1000 unless we have some good news beforehand! But I'll favourite her site for future. :love:

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
I like this one : it's not very old and I think maybe a little on the large side

https://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/18262-vintage-amethyst-diamond-halo-ring

View attachment 613845

I've added a few others to my pinterest :)
I definitely like the style of that ring and the color of the amethyst. That ring does have a lot of finger coverage though. I’ve had my eye on few listed on Etsy. Do you have an etsy account? Here’s one but still on the larger side

http://etsy.me/1V6hLZB

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's pretty too, but yes probably a little on the large side.

Here's a more contemporary one that took my fancy on etsy. Quite inexpensive as well.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/515061791/new-design-amethyst-engagement-ring6x8mm

and this one

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/511851537/emerald-amethyst-engagementwedding-ring

I haven't seen any really nice loose stone amethysts except in sizes too large for a ring. So preset may be the way to go.

Those both have a color I find very pleasing! Since you have a halo for your e ring do you really want another halo for your RHR? And another halo of an elongated stone? Just something to think about. HTH

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't seen any really nice loose stone amethysts except in sizes too large for a ring. So preset may be the way to go.

Those both have a color I find very pleasing! Since you have a halo for your e ring do you really want another halo for your RHR? And another halo of an elongated stone? Just something to think about. HTH

That's a really good point, I should go towards a three stone or similar.
Does anyone know anything of the seller of the first ring? They have excellent reviews :cool2:

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
image.jpg

image.jpg
I’ll share but please disregard my nails . First photo is full sunlight and second is in the shade.

Beautiful amethyst ring! So simple and dainty. It looks so right on your hand.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful colour :love:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haven't bought one yet - also like this from Lord of Gem Rings on ebay

s-l1600.jpg

Heidi2101

Rough_Rock
Premium
image.jpg

image.jpg
I’ll share but please disregard my nails . First photo is full sunlight and second is in the shade.

This is so pretty. May I ask where you got it?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LJsapphire have you browsed Dear Rose with Love on Etsy or gembank 1973 on IG/eBay? They are both in the UK and have pretty reasonably priced antique and vintage pieces. I haven’t purchased anything so can’t personally vouch for them, but I always have fun browsing their inventories!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LJsapphire have you browsed Dear Rose with Love on Etsy or gembank 1973 on IG/eBay? They are both in the UK and have pretty reasonably priced antique and vintage pieces. I haven’t purchased anything so can’t personally vouch for them, but I always have fun browsing their inventories!

Not yet, but I'll have a look. Thank you :)

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
Haven't bought one yet - also like this from Lord of Gem Rings on ebay

Have you ever wore anything with a point? I wonder, since it overhangs the band if it would irritate the finger? I do love the band and design how it’s open with the diamonds. Very pretty stone!
s-l1600.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some of my amethyst rings that I made. All sterling silver.
They are designs that I came up with myself. Just to show you some ideas!
IMG_20180325_085412.jpg IMG_20180325_085026.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some of my amethyst rings that I made. All sterling silver.
They are designs that I came up with myself. Just to show you some ideas!
IMG_20180325_085412.jpg IMG_20180325_085026.jpg

Stracci you are so talented. Love this. Beautiful. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results