shape
carat
color
clarity

Love my Tahitian strand but...................

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
The strand you currently own is lovely. However, it seems the shapes bothered you. Is that correct?

If you really want a round strand then the strand you posted might fit the bill. I imagine though that the strand is more expensive.

I think it is hard to really know how pearls perform until you see them in person. I would ask for a few pictures of the pearls under different light. You also could ask to see other strands.

You asked me what I would do...that's hard because what is most important to me might not be the same for you. And, sadly, price point is a real factor for most of us. :cry2: Otherwise, I would want both strands. =) One thing is that round has a more formal look to it. My life and work is casual so I do not have many round pearls.

Well for shape I decided to only replace the more drop one at the center on the right of the biggest pearl. PP said I would have to wait till March , Jeremy is going to HONG KONG to get more pearls. Yes the round strand is more expensive but my boyfriend said to go ahead and order it. I would of prefer it more colorful also.
One thing I had in mind was to return the strand wait for Jeremy to come back in March and see what is available or ask if i can put in a special request or also have them put a strand together with new loose pearls they will get. :think:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ mtsapphirelovingannie,
It does hold its color, actually. Here is my husband wearing it in our living room (my daughter decided she didn't want it so I shortened it for him to wear, and he loves it!)

Note that the pearls are smallish-- 8.0-9.7mm. Smaller Tahitians tend to have better color because the oysters are younger. As the oysters get older and larger, they can accept a larger bead implant, but the nacre color dimimnishes.
Husband wearing Tahitians.jpg

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
It does, actually. Here is my husband wearing it in our living room (my daughter decided she didn't want it so I shortened it for him to wear, and he loves it!)

Note that the pearls are smallish-- 8.0-9.7mm. Smaller Tahitians tend to have better color because the oysters are younger. As the oysters get older and larger, they can accept a larger bead implant, but the nacre color dimimnishes.
Very nice. I might be out of the norm but I think men look nice/sexy with Tahitian necklace :love: My boyfriend has a single leather Tahitian necklace.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree! I love seeing men wearing Tahitians.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
@ mtsapphirelovingannie,
It does hold its color, actually. Here is my husband wearing it in our living room (my daughter decided she didn't want it so I shortened it for him to wear, and he loves it!)

I might just call PP back Monday, tell them I want to return the strand I have now and when Jeremy comes back from HONG KONG in March I will ask them to put a strand together for me . With smaller Tahitians.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW gorgeous, I could be wrong but it looks a little lighter then the one I am thinking of getting.

Or maybe bluer overall?
The addictive thing about Tahitians is that there is so much variety out there! Every strand is unique.

Often one has to trade off. In this case I traded off size for color (but benefitted on price, since smaller strands cost less.) Figure out what is most important to you and what you can "give" a little on: color, size, cleanliness of surface, luster, shape, price etc. Because you probably can't "have it all" in one strand without spending a huge amount of money.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
Or maybe bluer overall?
The addictive thing about Tahitians is that there is so much variety out there! Every strand is unique.

Often one has to trade off. In this case I traded off size for color (but benefitted on price, since smaller strands cost less.) Figure out what is most important to you and what you can "give" a little on: color, size, cleanliness of surface, luster, shape, price etc. Because you probably can't "have it all" in one strand without spending a huge amount of money.

Yes I totally get it . I think the size your husband is wearing I would be happy with good size for me. I don't need/want bigger. In AA+/AAA .I love Tahitians with blue overtone and pink/aubergine all colors except to much green. I am not a fan of green color. lol With as little green as possible.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well for shape I decided to only replace the more drop one at the center on the right of the biggest pearl. PP said I would have to wait till March , Jeremy is going to HONG KONG to get more pearls. Yes the round strand is more expensive but my boyfriend said to go ahead and order it. I would of prefer it more colorful also.
One thing I had in mind was to return the strand wait for Jeremy to come back in March and see what is available or ask if i can put in a special request or also have them put a strand together with new loose pearls they will get. :think:

You might put in a special request so that Jeremy can look for the strand like you want. I think it is normally more expensive to put a strand together from loose pearls.

My multi color round strand is also smaller pearls. It is 8 to 10 mm. I have pictures PP send me in the light box. They are here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tahitian-pearls-vendor-vs-irl-pictures.205879/page-7

I agree with Pearlsngems that you will probably have to compromise on some aspect of your wish list. I think figuring out what is important to you is the key, for example, shape, luster, color, surface quality, size...

When I bought my round strand, I was most interested in shape and grading (luster and surface quality). I compromised on size.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mtsapphirelovingannie, I really like your strand. It really does have similar colors to my H's strand,doesn't it! =)

Heart2pearls, green and gray are the most common body colors in Tahitians, so you will need to be very clear on avoiding too much green when communicating with the vendor.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
mtsapphirelovingannie, I really like your strand. It really does have similar colors to my H's strand,doesn't it! =)

Heart2pearls, green and gray are the most common body colors in Tahitians, so you will need to be very clear on avoiding too much green when communicating with the vendor.
Will do =) Thanks .

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes I totally get it . I think the size your husband is wearing I would be happy with good size for me. I don't need/want bigger. In AA+/AAA .I love Tahitians with blue overtone and pink/aubergine all colors except to much green. I am not a fan of green color. lol With as little green as possible.

The round strand you are considering doesn't seem to be heavy on the green. It does have a lot of pink/aubergine. :D Since the next buying trip isn't until March, you might order this strand to see it in person...you can always send it back. PP is good with returns.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
The round strand you are considering doesn't seem to be heavy on the green. It does have a lot of pink/aubergine. :D Since the next buying trip isn't until March, you might order this strand to see it in person...you can always send it back. PP is good with returns.
If there were to put one together for me in the size 8-10mm AAA would the price be much higher then buying an already made strand?

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
I am in Canada so shipping it back cost me every time , bummer.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If there were to put one together for me in the size 8-10mm AAA would the price be much higher then buying an already made strand?

I don't know but I suspect it would be. Plus you might be charged a fee for returning a "customized" piece if you were unhappy with it. I've lengthened existing PP strands with loose pearls from PP. The cost per inch of the extra inches was more than the cost per inch of the existing strand.

I would ask PP.

Also keep in mind that you get better prices during sales events.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
I don't know but I suspect it would be. Plus you might be charged a fee for returning a "customized" piece if you were unhappy with it. I've lengthened existing PP strands with loose pearls from PP. The cost per inch of the extra inches was more than the cost per inch of the existing strand.

I would ask PP.

Also keep in mind that you get better prices during sales events.

I will write down my questions and call them tomorrow. I will let you guys know when I know more and what I decide to do. Thank you , you all been helpful =)

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
Ok sending off my strand tomorrow back to PP . They will replace the most drop shaped looking pearls to more near round ones. They will send pics of them for me to choose. Finger crossed hope they will have a nice selections to choose from. I am excited but a little nervous.
I will post a pic of my strand when I get it back. Wish me luck =)

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
Ok, now I got refunded for the strand I had from PP. I do know I want AAA 8-10MM round multicolored .
I have to give them all details for when Jeremy goes to HK in March on the wish list.
But what length???? What about you guys , what length do you prefer and why? :think:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Are you in a big rush? I believe it's many times cheaper to buy them when he brings in a lot of pearls and has strands created from the lot. If they have to buy a lone strand they don't get the price drop from buying in bulk. You may want to ask, if that is important to you. As for the length, I would choose 18-20" depending on your neck size.

Heart2pearls

Rough_Rock
Are you in a big rush? I believe it's many times cheaper to buy them when he brings in a lot of pearls and has strands created from the lot. If they have to buy a lone strand they don't get the price drop from buying in bulk. You may want to ask, if that is important to you. As for the length, I would choose 18-20" depending on your neck size.

I will ask them on pricing for creating a strand with loose pearls from a lot VS already made one.

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Oooh...glad this is working out & PP Jeremy took the strand back. They do have a good reputation.

That pearl was really off but the strand seemed to be off round anyway.

Still waiting to go up to PP & pick out some Tahitian studs & also like the aubergines with a little green is ok as it does make a peacock.

8 to 10 mm is decent size & I dont want above 10mm in studs.

I'll be back from Australia in April & Jeremy will be back with his new stash so might be the time to check out the studs...

Good luck with the strand

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They can alway find a nice strand,,, there are tons to choose from, and then choose 4 more pearls to go into the strand. That's what I did - took my strand with me and then matched up 5 pearls to go into it. Easy. Every time I buy a strand I pick up extra pearls to match just in case I need to make it larger.. or earrings... etc

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results