shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a real yellow sapphire? (with pictures)

Bullensbullar

Rough_Rock
Hi, i recently bought a sapphire, and i am wondering if it's a real sapphire. It does scratch amethyst (moh 7). What other tests can i do at home?

Uploaded a few pictures;
https://ibb.co/d9bvdb
https://ibb.co/gj5crw
https://ibb.co/bJ7kdb

I know it's hard to appreciate the price from a few pictures, but if you could state how much you think it is worth approx would be great! If it's around 5 dollars, 500 or even 5000.
It is 1,7 ct, and the seller stated that it was heat treated.

If it is a sapphire, how do i know it's not a synthetic?

ExoticGems

Rough_Rock
The sapphire is extremely low grade, I would say $5 or lower, its probably not a synthetic but it might be treated heavily.

Bullensbullar

Rough_Rock
Only 5 dollars? This is how the stone looks like without zoom
https://ibb.co/b0JCbw

I dont know if it's treated any other way, i dipped it in acetone and nothing happened, so i guess it's not glass filled.

How come it's so cheap? I think the imperfections make it look beautiful, i cant imagine that it's only 5 dollars!

Bullensbullar

Rough_Rock
But it is a sapphire?
Any other tests i can do at home? I do have a loupe.

The first picture is from the seller, it does have the same imperfections but it is much harder to see them, the pictures kind of enhances the imperfections. I could not get good pictures with my camera thought, thats why i posted the sellers pictures.

Bullensbullar

Rough_Rock
I did the tests, and i do not see any bubbles or anything like the pictures say when i put it in water to test if it's diffused. I have bought a uv light, and will test with it when i get it in the mail.

I dont know for sure, but i think it's just a natural heated sapphire with a lot of inclusions. If that's the case, is it still 1 dollar per carat?

Might dip it in lemon and wait a few days, it said that it will make the rock grey again if it is lead glass filled, if it is i wont lose anything since it was crap anyway then.
Hoping it's a real one :mrgreen2:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did not know if you are in the market for buying a pretty yellow sapphire, but there is one on Mastercutgems right now that is basic heat if anything and is 1.6 carats and really pretty. It’s reasonably priced too.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like the color in the zoomed-out picture. I would value it at $15-20 if it's authentic. Yellow sapphires are inexpensive when compared to blue sapphires, and add in that it's heavily included and poorly cut, and I think there would be little market for it.

Bullensbullar

Rough_Rock
I did not know if you are in the market for buying a pretty yellow sapphire, but there is one on Mastercutgems right now that is basic heat if anything and is 1.6 carats and really pretty. It’s reasonably priced too.

Yes very beautiful, but it's out of my price range :(

Bullensbullar

Rough_Rock
I like the color in the zoomed-out picture. I would value it at $15-20 if it's authentic. Yellow sapphires are inexpensive when compared to blue sapphires, and add in that it's heavily included and poorly cut, and I think there would be little market for it.

15-20 $ is great, since i bought it for 3$
Not planning on swlling thought, just for fun
Might try to make some kind of home made jewelry from it, i dont know, we'll see.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you set on a yellow sapphire? I have a school bus yellow untreated heliodor that is every bit as pretty as my yellow sapphire (which is probably treated). It was only 1/10 the price of that sapphire on Mastercutgems. I bought the heliodor from Forevergemstones. It’s just under 1.4 carats. I’m planning to set it in a pendant and wear it with my sapphire ring. I’m just saying that a heliodor is a less pricey option, if your pretty yellow stone doesn’t have to be a sapphire. There is a pretty pair of them on Forevergemstones for $32 now.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
88EBFD02-6E1A-435B-B7EE-F57B02D66CC1.jpeg It’s a pretty yellow but it’s got lots of inclusions and that’s what reduces its value (a lot). It might be glass filled, I’m not sure how that is tested though.
Heat treatment isn’t uncommon. Here is my one, it’s 5 carats but it’s very deep. It’s paler Lemon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results