shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring band round all the way or sits higher at the top of the ring?

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
Ok so I think I win an award for worlds longest thread title and I’m not sure it’s entirely clearer. I’m in the process of designing the setting for my engagement ring and I can’t decide between having the band the same height all the way round or having it taper (not sure if that’s the right word) at the top as it starts to meet the centre stone. So in theory it would sit just above the wedding band and create depth. If anyone has pics of either or these styles would love to see them for inspiration and to hopefully make a decision!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lifting the stone(s) in an engagement ring above the line of the wedding band can reduce risk of damage to the stone(s).

Personally I and my good lady prefer low-set stones, which means that a low-height/thickness wedding band was required to avoid risk of damage.

Alternatively, some people use spacer bands to move the wedding band away from the engagement ring, in order to reduce the risk of any damage to either.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or do you mean cathedral setting?

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
573AA86A-1F70-481E-8472-F76DBB0CFA59.jpeg Ok this is what I mean! The band is slightly higher at the top of the ring. I want a 6 prong setting but want the wedding band to sit flush so I’m thinking raising it a bit higher at the top will facilitate this. I’m just concerned the setting will be too high?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I had a setting that high you would think I was purposely trying to rip the head off my ering on a daily basis. I’m trying to say that I knocked my ring everywhere everyday when I had it that high. Maybe you’re a lot more graceful and coordinated than me. But I know for sure it was a bad idea for me.

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
When I had a setting that high you would think I was purposely trying to rip the head off my ering on a daily basis. I’m trying to say that I knocked my ring everywhere everyday when I had it that high. Maybe you’re a lot more graceful and coordinated than me. But I know for sure it was a bad idea for me.

Maybe I should buy a 'practice' ring with a high setting and see how much I knock it! I have an office based job, I wouldn't wear it to the gym or anything like that.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
20180118_200312.jpg
So i think my setting is similar to what you're going for, it feels very high.
Also i knock it all the time, i knock it when im buckling up, i knock it when I'm at my desk, and ive scratched my baby with it, a couple times.
So, i LOVE my ring but because of practicality i really only wear it if I'm going out with H, friends, squadron stuff or dressy stuff, otherwise ive been experimenting with stacking my many different wedding bands. Just something to think about :) i hope it was helpful.

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
20180118_200312.jpg
So i think my setting is similar to what you're going for, it feels very high.
Also i knock it all the time, i knock it when im buckling up, i knock it when I'm at my desk, and ive scratched my baby with it, a couple times.
So, i LOVE my ring but because of practicality i really only wear it if I'm going out with H, friends, squadron stuff or dressy stuff, otherwise ive been experimenting with stacking my many different wedding bands. Just something to think about :) i hope it was helpful.

Very helpful thank you. I'm used to wearing large costume style and oversized rings but nothing of this value so I haven't been worried about knocking them or damaging them as I wasn't fussed if something did break.

csloan215

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring is like that! The center diamond sits in a basket and is surrounded by a halo. It gets the absolute snot knocked out of it on a regular basis. I still love it (I’ve had it 11 years now) but it is very high set and kind of irritating at times. Miraculously it has only had one of the melee diamonds replaced over the years. However if I had it to do over, I would’ve chosen something lower set as a personal preference since I work a lot with my hands. IMG_2887.JPG

csloan215

Rough_Rock
I forgot to add: it flops around when I type so I usually take it off to do computer work. I’ve heard that put the speed bumps/sizing beads in would help with that though. I wish I had thought ahead like you’re doing now!

Kellyco

Rough_Rock
Premium
0EE3B4B8-1CA8-4EE8-93E1-933D8C83EE6F.jpeg 36D5B2A1-BBE0-4BAB-8FF6-A4179BC61962.jpeg So are you trying to decide between something that sits sort of in the shank like your picture vs something like this - that kind of sits on top of the shank?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think completely round as if you took a plain band and plunked a head onto it looks cheap.

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
0EE3B4B8-1CA8-4EE8-93E1-933D8C83EE6F.jpeg 36D5B2A1-BBE0-4BAB-8FF6-A4179BC61962.jpeg So are you trying to decide between something that sits sort of in the shank like your picture vs something like this - that kind of sits on top of the shank?

Not quite. Either sits at the top of a round band like in your pics or increasing the height of the band at the top then either sitting on top or in the shank to create depth/allow the band to sit flush.

I’m thinking the round band is better from the feedback about the height of the setting.

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
I think completely round as if you took a plain band and plunked a head onto it looks cheap.

The band will have a pave v step in it.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Definitley consider how much you use your hands or hard you are on your jewelry

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
30848720-BC81-4FF5-9E49-EE206ABF7C5E.png I’m having same dilemma. Originally went with cathedral type with pave. But next day called jeweller to switch to lower like the pics above. I feel it’s a bit more contemporary. This is what I went with

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
30848720-BC81-4FF5-9E49-EE206ABF7C5E.png I’m having same dilemma. Originally went with cathedral type with pave. But next day called jeweller to switch to lower like the pics above. I feel it’s a bit more contemporary. This is what I went with

Love this!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results