carat
color
clarity

Photo question

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have other interests.
I'm also on a forum for, let's call it, X.

The main Internet forum for X has a poster who has written a prestigious book that's become the reference standard tome for subject X.

I own a rare, particularly fine and important example of X.
When he found out he asked me for extensive detailed pics of my X.
I am aware he's currently writing a new book about X.

So I'm taking days to take very fine pics of my X.
Before I send them to him should I plaster a big copyright C over the middle, or would that be rude/insulting/tacky/presumptuous?
I'd love it if he'd use my pics ... but only with credit and renumeration.

(No, X is not something I have that is X-rated! ... :naughty: ... LOL )

Last edited:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, definitely. Your time and your work is valuable. His interest MAY be honest curiosity, but better safe than sorry imho.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would.
I'd put the copyright symbol and my name in a location where it can't be cropped out.
If you post a photo on the internet, anyone might decide to use it as their own. Perhaps the intended recipient would not, but someone else who sees your photo might do so.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask him politely if your pics will get a reference/credit near them to you in any future things he might publish. If he has asked you for pics and you have said you are O.K with that I'm not sure that asking for some sort of reimbursement for that after the event is entirely fair, but I don't think it is unfair to expect full acknowledgement of what you contribute.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He didn't ask for pics that would be published in his next book.
He asked for pic that would "contribute to his database".

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have other interests.
I'm also on a forum for, let's call it, X.

The main Internet forum for X has a poster who has written a prestigious book that's become the reference standard tome for subject X.

I own a rare, particularly fine and important example of X.
When he found out he asked me for extensive detailed pics of my X.
I am aware he's currently writing a new book about X.

So I'm taking days to take very fine pics of my X.
Before I send them to him should I plaster a big copyright C over the middle, or would that be rude/insulting/tacky/presumptuous?
I'd love it if he'd use my pics ... but only with credit and renumeration.

(No, X is not something I have that is X-rated! ... :naughty: ... LOL )

I would let him know you're happy you help share the photos, but you require the credit for the photos. I would think that'd be enough but you can put a watermark so it can't be cropped, but maybe not directly over the subject? If he's really interested a C over the subject may be counter productive.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I exchange photos for scientific purposes often and just ask for credit (to be honest they usually ask me first if they can use the photo while giving proper credit). If you do watermark, don’t obstruct the item in question, defeats the purpose of the exchange in my opinion.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He didn't ask for pics that would be published in his next book.
He asked for pic that would "contribute to his database".

At which point it might have been prudent to ask will any photos from that database every been used in any further publications and if so explain you want full credit for them.

You take the most amazing photos, the person should be willing to acknowledge that.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing as I’m the one with an iPhone for a camera and only just worked out it has a “zoom in” feature (go me) I’m no authority on photography. However if you have the a very special X and someone wants photos of it, make sure that they recognize your generous contribution of not only fabulous photos but access to images of your special x. Id be putting a watermark thingy on it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 for watermark IMHO.

You could send them very-low-res (like 300x200 pixels or less) and watermarked right across the middle for 'proofing', and then if he says they are suitable, you can bring your standard terms of use for hi-res originals to his attention. ;-)

Out there on the interweb there should be a template letter for sending to newspapers or similar who want to use (or have stolen) photographs - something like "Payment of $xxx grants you one-time-only use of the high resolution photograph in a printed or electronic publication, with full credit to be given and incorporated into the image itself within the document. Subsequent use within another document, whether an original work or a revision to the original document, would incur an additional charge of $xxx for that one-time use, with credit to be given in the same manner as detailed above. Failure to adhere to the conditions contained herewith will result in litigation being raised to recover all lost monies and damages."

Or something like that??

You're in the US, I'm sure there's a lawyer out there who deals in this sort of thing ;-) lol :razz:

If it's a PDFd letter that has your (company?) name on the top, he can't claim to be being singled out - it's just your standard operating procedure letter that he has to sign and return like everyone else does ;-)

Perhaps you should post the watermarked versions on the forum in question, telling him you will do so, so that everyone knows they are yours before they are printed or used elsewhere - he might claim that they were on the internet so should be 'free', buf if they are low-res, watermarked originals, they won't be of much use for printing...

Last edited:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Make sure you put on the photos that use of photos requires written permission and is subject to copyright.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
You are wise to think about this now, because once that photo is in his possession with no copyright or watermark---who knows where it ends up.
So send it with a watermark and simply explain that that is your standard way of sharing your photos. I don't think it is insulting but rather standard among people with professional quality images.
I guess my concern would be his database---is it documented including the source and any permissions? Or is it simply a folder on his laptop with a bunch of photos? Does anyone else (employees/assistants) have access to his database? And how would you know that he would not share the photo at some point in the future and then THAT person would use it--and so on.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, definitely establish your rights over the pictures before you send to him/her. Your photos are amazing - whoever it is will be lucky to have access to them. The least they can do is give you credit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results