shape
carat
color
clarity

Metals choice

Whats your choice for a solitaire setting??

• Total voters

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
what do most of you choose for your settings?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow gold :lol:

But no, plat is usually the preferred metal doesn’t need plating and pd is usually pretty grey. I’ve heard it’s harder to get sized too.

jwcjewelry

Rough_Rock
Premium
Platinum is my favorite. I prefer the heavier feel to it and the color.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is just something so luxe about platinum. It's heft feels substantial and luxurious.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum definitely, for all the reasons stated!

Just so you know, there are different platinum alloys. The softest one scratches more and therefore turns gray unless you get it polished. The two harder alloys will stay shiny longer, but after a few years, you might want to have them polished.

I’d avoid 95% platinum, 5% iridium which is the softest.

Harder:

90% platinum, 10% iridium

95% platinum, 5% ruthenium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of those.

I love cobalt chrome for a tension setting.
It's much whiter than titanium.
They cost hundreds instead of thousands of dollars like tension settings in those famous 3 metals.
A tension setting lets more light into, and out of, the diamond from all angles.
The diamond is practically free-floating instead of looking like it's in jail behind bars (prongs).
Much easier to clean than a prong or bezel setting.

IMO, tensions settins are safer.
Delicate prongs can bend and let go of your diamond without you knowing it by simply putting on a sweater reaching in a pocket or a purse, whereas if you do something that bends the metal of a tension setting enough to force out the stone you'll know it ... and probably end up in the ER from trauma to your finger.

You'll see more of the diamond that you paid $$$$$$$ for, especially in the side view, the view we most-often see our diamond.

http://www.boonerings.com/stone.htm sells them in reasonably-priced metals that leave MUCH more budget for the diamond.
Boone only takes days, instead of weeks or months, to make your ring.

Last edited:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this is a temp setting go WG. If we are talking forever setting then my preference is plat

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow gold :lol:

Seriously, that is my answer, too. I was drawn to this thread because the title had "metals" in it. Most of my jewelry is yellow gold, some of it high karat. I also have a few pieces of silver jewelry although no diamond solitaires set in silver. I do have one diamond solitaire set entirely in 24K gold. Other rings have yellow shanks and platinum heads.

AGBF

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I looked through my jewelry box most of it is 14k yellow gold. But my watch, my fancy yellow intense diamond bracelet from Wink, and a diamond bracelet from my late mom are 18k yellow gold. I also recently got a 24k gold link bracelet and a jade and medallion bracelet from my late mom.
My F colored CBI diamonds are all set in 95% Plat/5% Ru (same alloy that Tiffany uses).
My flute is 14k rose gold with Sterling silver keys so I think that I have all of the metals covered, lol.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of my WG is 14k. I have 14k YG heirlooms, but I never wear them because I rarely wear YG. My ER is 14kWG with Platinum Head to protect my center EC.
The other pieces I inherited are either WG or Platinum.
I recently became more interested in Rose Gold, and will be adding it to my collection. There are a few Rose Gold engraveable bar necklaces I intend to have made. I’ll post those, when they are finished.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow gold. But if white metals looked good on me I would choose platinum.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow gold. But if white metals looked good on me I would choose platinum.
I just find white metal solis a bit less interesting compared to rose or yellow gold.

It’s weird becuase I don’t have that opinion When talking any other style of setting

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to look for "The Green Thread". Is it in the current thread about buying jade in Asia (and not getting ripped off when one travels) that you posted or in a thread about green stones in Colored Stones?

I see that you also posted in The Gold thread, though, Cheryl after I requested that you do so. Thank you very much for that!!!

Deb :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results