carat
color
clarity

Diamond looks scratched? Also other opinions about this stone

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Dear diamond enthusiasts,

This might be a very silly question, I apologize in advance..

We got this ring just this week and today was the first time inspecting it in daylight. I took some pictures of it and upon viewing them on my laptop, I noticed that especially in one the diamond looks very scratched and strange. Is this some kind of weird play of light or should I be worried? Common to see this in pictures?

We got it from bluenile, clarity VVS2, color E, Exc polish, symmetry, cut & medium blue fluorescence, hca score of 1.

I think the first one shows the marks best.

Thank you very much!

24AF5247-53AA-40B5-B7BD-FFC2AAB35DFB.jpeg 059EC5C6-A3BE-4A63-B86B-FBDBA0523680.jpeg A1C8D5BE-163B-40D2-9CF0-E18975E62221.jpeg CD891399-C6F8-43D1-93C1-F07432941A66.jpeg

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do you have a copy of the GIA certificate that you could post?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks to me like you have some fibers sticking to it. Diamonds create static electricity, especially when rubbed. Perhaps it was cleaned and then dried with a cloth, and the loose fibers from the cloth stuck to the diamond. Try cleaning again, and then dry with a hair dryer instead of a cloth.

Last edited:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like lint, is it also on the shoulders of the ring.

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you tourmaline and pyramid! That must be it, my fiance was being nice and cleaned it with a microfiber cloth before the pictures! Thank you, I would not have thought of that being a possible reason. Good lesson for future when it'll be cleaned more regularly.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha! I'm glad we solved it. :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should not see scratches in a VVS stone - must be lint!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds get filthy fast because of their specific gravity. I clean mine in an untrasonic cleaner (that I bought from amazon) two times a day usually.

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
May be helpful to pick yourself up a jewelers loop.. just in general to check prongs.. see fibers.. I like using mine to hunt for the flaws in my vs1... but that's just me. :roll

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Diamonds get filthy fast because of their specific gravity. I clean mine in an untrasonic cleaner (that I bought from amazon) two times a day usually.
Can you plz advise me on ultrasonic cleaner ??:))Thanks !!!!

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh no !! So the ones with good prongs like eternity bands are good ? Thank you once again!cause from r now I just clean all my diamonds with toothbrush / soap

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium

May be helpful to pick yourself up a jewelers loop.. just in general to check prongs.. see fibers.. I like using mine to hunt for the flaws in my vs1... but that's just me. :roll

Thanks for the suggestion Maggiemeans, I actually just ordered this loupe after reading your comment:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lat...c48f-4f40-9610-a8719567f983&priceBeautifyAB=2

Let's see, I'm curious to see my stone under fluorescent light! :D

Whitewave, thanks I've considered that, too but I've read that it might loosen up the setting? That sounds like the most conveniet way of cleaning jewellery. Do you then take your prongs for inspection more frequently or do you trust the cleaning to cause no loosening?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestion Maggiemeans, I actually just ordered this loupe after reading your comment:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lat...c48f-4f40-9610-a8719567f983&priceBeautifyAB=2

Whitewave, thanks I've considered that, too but I've read that it might loosen up the setting? That sounds like the most conveniet way of cleaning jewellery. Do you then take your prongs for inspection more frequently or do you trust the cleaning to cause no loosening?

As long as your setting is quality, and yours is, it will be fine. I knocked out a diamond chip from a $200 Etsy band. My CVB ID setting with micropave gets cleaned in there multiple times a day. A loupe is good to check prongs monthly, etc.

image.jpg

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Good to know, then I should look for a good deal that can be delivered to us without too much hassle.

Beautiful ring btw, very elegant :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you tourmaline and pyramid! That must be it, my fiance was being nice and cleaned it with a microfiber cloth before the pictures! Thank you, I would not have thought of that being a possible reason. Good lesson for future when it'll be cleaned more regularly.
Best no lint cloth.

IMG_3498.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE="Aino, post: 4276632, member:

[/QUOTE]A cheap UV flashlight from Amazon will do the job.
IMG_2412.JPG

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Cheers Dancinf Fire, I'll order a proper cloth!

Love the fluorescence in your diamond. Such an icy blue color. Do you notice any haziness in the stone otherwise? And is it also noticeably bluish in the sun?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cheers Dancinf Fire, I'll order a proper cloth!

Love the fluorescence in your diamond. Such an icy blue color. Do you notice any haziness in the stone otherwise? And is it also noticeably bluish in the sun?
Not that I can see. maybe I don't know what haziness looks like...:confused:. The RB is nil and the Octavia is VSB.
IMG_2884.JPG IMG_2867.JPG IMG_2849.JPG

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful rings with stunning stones :love:

Fluorescence adds an extra dimension to diamonds, makes them even more fascinating ! Glad I ignored the fluorescence on mine and ended up with a MB

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE="Aino, post: 4276632, member:
A cheap UV flashlight from Amazon will do the job.
IMG_2412.JPG [/QUOTE]
Hello, beautiful !

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2903.JPG IMG_2904.JPG

Adding my fluro from my original ER

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results