shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Diamond fluorescence, noticeable in this one?

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a round brilliant diamond from Blue Nile. Specs:
GIA: E, VVS1, Excellent Cut, 0.8 Carat, HCA score 1, polish and symmetry excellent
HOWEVER, it has medium blue fluorescence and somehow I omitted this completely. I was sure I had filtered fluorescence to Faint and None only so did not look at it. And well now my diamond has medium fluorescence..

To my (untrained) eye it does not appear hazy. But I cannot shake the fear that it might not be so good especially when I paid for E color and the fluorescence is making it appear more blue. Moreover, the diamond is now set so I cannot inspect it so well anymore.

Could anyone have a look at say their opinion about the look of the diamond? Blue nile has the 360 view plus zoomed image. I would greatly appreciate any comments, thoughts on this! It has free return so I can always ship it back... Also thinking if I should bring it to a local gemologist but I might be just overly concerned, it is just that the internet is so divided over the fluorescence.

You can view the diamond here:
https://www.bluenile.com/ch/diamond-details/LD09747505

Also picture here:
upload_2018-1-15_16-6-12.png

Thank you for your thoughts! :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to verify... there is no haziness that you can tell, but you don't care for the blue tint that can show in certain lighting? I ask bc a lot of people really love that effect. In an E color it would make it ooohhh soooo icy! Sounds like a gorgeous combo!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having seen a ring once, when I was young, that looked milky (I thought my cousin who had bucks bought his g/f a crappy stone - he did but it was HUGE) your stone looks beautiful

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes that is exactly the case, I do not mind a blue tint in color but the haziness would bug me. As it is set now, I cannot really tell so well. But in the video on the website, it looks (and looked when I bough it heh) unhazy to me. Should the video/picture be good enough to put my mind to rest?

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Having seen a ring once, when I was young, that looked milky (I thought my cousin who had bucks bought his g/f a crappy stone - he did but it was HUGE) your stone looks beautiful

Thank you, you are alleviating my paranoia a great deal! When I found it, I knew this was the one. Perhaps good that I did not note the fluorescence back then :roll

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it to a trusted jeweler and unset it and have them examine it. Unless it is in a very difficult setting from which to unset, that should not be a problem. Examine it unset to ease your mind. Are you still within the return policy dates?

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am still within the return policy dates so I could return it. If the fluorescence would affect the stones brilliance would it be noticeable in the pictures and video on blue Nile?

The setting is quite complicated but might not be too difficult to detach it for inspection.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am still within the return policy dates so I could return it. If the fluorescence would affect the stones brilliance would it be noticeable in the pictures and video on blue Nile?

The setting is quite complicated but might not be too difficult to detach it for inspection.
I have bought from blue nile and mine was a medium blue fluor too. I don't think the pics and videos from blue nile give you enough to go on. For sure.

It was in bright direct sunlight that I noticed something with mine. It was not an actual haziness. But my stone did not look super crisp and clear, (at least not to me) which I had expected. It was an F, VS1 per GIA. I don't know how much the fluorescence had to do with that. I did take mine to a jeweler who said he did not see any haziness due to fluorescence and in fact tried to buy the stone off me. But I still felt like I saw something I didn't like. I'll see if I can find my old thread that may show it.

But it comes down to what you see and what you like or dislike, what YOU notice or don't.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first thread is my old stone, which I ended up trading in. The second is one of my search for a friend of mine. Her stone had this clear as water see-through look, no fluor, that mine never had. Hers was a VS2, mine a VS1 with medium blue fluor, both GIA. I don't know if it was because of the fluor that mine wasn't crystal clear see through, but I am not going for fluor stones any more. Maybe it's all in my head, but that is what my experience has taught me. I do think everyone is different so maybe you need to figure out what you can see and what you want.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...a-jocelyn-with-scalloped-basket.208952/page-3

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-carat-mrb-hunt-is-over.234567/page-2

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don’t see any haziness the fluorescence isn’t impacting the diamond. I personally like fluorescent diamonds. Medium is enough to add a little iciness to the diamond. I think your diamond is beautiful.

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
1630869F-4DC5-4DED-8E68-46E876312B86.jpeg 2EBFE9D6-8D63-48BF-BF58-96BFA2982765.jpeg 03D84A9C-0C65-499E-B453-BF0EF4AA221C.jpeg 6E0610E6-7337-4588-88F6-47D166E8E4EB.jpeg 21BEF256-5F08-4203-A7DE-9300EFCD73F0.jpeg Thank you for your replies LLJ and marcy. I have now only seen it under unnatural light and it looks perfect. Very sparkly, just what I wanted. But it is hard to shake the fluorescence away completely. But I think I would notice the cloudiness if it was there right? I will have another look at daylight this weekend.

Here are some pictures taken with my phone, they are not great. I just learnt to appreciate the talent of taking diamond pictures :bigsmile:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The stone looks gorgeous. Liking those fat arrow shafts!

Not noticing any haziness in the vid or in your images.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you would notice haziness now that you have it in hand. Fluoro isn't a bad thing in itself - the cases where it does cause haziness or milkiness are actually very rare and even rarer when you're looking at medium blue. There have been a number of threads discussing this on PS if you're interested.
I think your diamond is very pretty - the fat arrows are gorgeous.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FWIW, diamonds look crappy in direct sunlight. I have a D colored stone with medium fluorescence and I love the iciness the fluor adds. I didn't realize that until I received a K colored OEC with slight fluor. It's nice to be able to put diamonds side by side to compare their performance. Enjoy the diamond, it's gorgeous.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did a great job. There is no haziness that I can see.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1630869F-4DC5-4DED-8E68-46E876312B86.jpeg 2EBFE9D6-8D63-48BF-BF58-96BFA2982765.jpeg 03D84A9C-0C65-499E-B453-BF0EF4AA221C.jpeg 6E0610E6-7337-4588-88F6-47D166E8E4EB.jpeg 21BEF256-5F08-4203-A7DE-9300EFCD73F0.jpeg Thank you for your replies LLJ and marcy. I have now only seen it under unnatural light and it looks perfect. Very sparkly, just what I wanted. But it is hard to shake the fluorescence away completely. But I think I would notice the cloudiness if it was there right? I will have another look at daylight this weekend.
If it bothers you (a mind thing) return the stone. I wear a VSB and I don't see cloudiness under the sun. Maybe I just don't know what to look for??..:confused:

Last edited:

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you bmfang, foxinsox, DAF, Ringo and dancing fire, you've helped me a great deal! Your inputs are much appreciated. And dancing fire, nice quote about finding mind clean stones... So spot on!

After reading your posts and other threads here as recommended last night and this morning, I have managed to put my mind to rest. As I cannot see anything either and I love it, I will just keep it :D

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Enjoy it and wear it with best wishes for good health!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After reading your posts and other threads here as recommended last night and this morning, I have managed to put my mind to rest. As I cannot see anything either and I love it, I will just keep it :D
Post some under the sun pics.

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks I will bmfang when I get it! Now my man has hidden it away again :bigsmile:

I will inspect it under the sun this weekend and post some pictures. Work hours don't permit daylight time at home any earlier unfortunately.

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
99986C2C-EADE-4634-A051-C02E6ECF0AA1.jpeg 2BC962D4-F9BF-483E-8E74-5890DA41B7E1.jpeg 059EC5C6-A3BE-4A63-B86B-FBDBA0523680.jpeg A1C8D5BE-163B-40D2-9CF0-E18975E62221.jpeg CD891399-C6F8-43D1-93C1-F07432941A66.jpeg 24AF5247-53AA-40B5-B7BD-FFC2AAB35DFB.jpeg 03B4ADA9-4749-4877-8273-F85BBBA361CD.jpeg Daylight pictures! Cannot notice anything myself. The prongs appear a bit clunky so I’m thinking of getting it once fixed locally. Any opinions on the diamond itself? Thank you :)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautifil, white and clear. Fluorescence will activate under a black light.

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ringo! Cannot wait to get the ring :mrgreen2:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful classic ring!..:love:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most trade photos are taken in lighting that can never show any fluoro effects.
In the daylight your stone is not showing any haziness. Very few Medium blue stones ever do.
in artificial light if you can get very close to almost touching a fluorescent tube or a halogen lamp you will see the haziness if present when looking side on to the stone.
The diamonds can be evaluated set.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond looks great in sunlight and is gorgeous. :wavey:

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks Marcy ! =)2

Most trade photos are taken in lighting that can never show any fluoro effects.
In the daylight your stone is not showing any haziness. Very few Medium blue stones ever do.
in artificial light if you can get very close to almost touching a fluorescent tube or a halogen lamp you will see the haziness if present when looking side on to the stone.
The diamonds can be evaluated set.

That is interesting, I'll try observe it like that too once. Have you come across fluorescent hazy/cloudy diamonds often then when you've viewed them in such conditions? Would you say they are more common that for instance the GIA research report claims? Thank you for your input!

Corona17

Rough_Rock
IMG_20180516_141530483_HDR.jpg IMG_20180516_135312032_HDR.jpg My first day on this site and not sure how to post a new thread ... But I have a question. Just purchased an E color, VVS2 oval with strong fluorescence. It is very sparkly and clear (to me) although I feel like I notice some slight blue out in the sunlight. The thing is that I still frequent bar settings with friends, so I'm not sure how I feel about my ring glowing in these public settings, especially in comparison to my friends' diamonds/rings. Does anyone here frequent bars with their fluorescent rings? Do they glow at these settings or mainly just at clubs? Any information on this topic would be helpful. Thanks in advanced :)

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180516_141530483_HDR.jpg IMG_20180516_135312032_HDR.jpg My first day on this site and not sure how to post a new thread ... But I have a question. Just purchased an E color, VVS2 oval with strong fluorescence. It is very sparkly and clear (to me) although I feel like I notice some slight blue out in the sunlight. The thing is that I still frequent bar settings with friends, so I'm not sure how I feel about my ring glowing in these public settings, especially in comparison to my friends' diamonds/rings. Does anyone here frequent bars with their fluorescent rings? Do they glow at these settings or mainly just at clubs? Any information on this topic would be helpful. Thanks in advanced :)

Welcome to the forum Corona! You have got a beautiful ring :)) Diamonds that contain the minerals to make the rock fluorescent, only glow under UV light. Ultraviolet light contains the right energy to "excite" the diamond minerals causing them then to release the absorbed energy that we then perceive as "the glow". Normal light does cannot do this. So it won't glow in normal bars and clubs, it will have that blue glow only outside under sunlight (contains UV rays) and under special UV lights (perhaps in some toilets with bluish lamps to avoid drug addicts from using syringes).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results