shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set 2ct round... RHR ideas please?

Lily Pad

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone =)2 I'm a long time lurker but this is my first time posting so please bear with me if I'm all over the place!

I recently downgraded to a 1 ct pendant so now I have to decide how to set this other diamond. It is a GIA certified 2.06 ct round diamond. I stay away from rings with round diamonds to avoid any awkward questions but this is a special diamond to me so I would like to wear it on my right hand, middle finger as a daily driver.

Should I do a solitaire and stack it? A vintage setting?
I would really appreciate any opinions or ideas on settings for this diamond that won't look like a traditional e-ring!

Some specs from gia and pic:

Round Brilliant
Carat Weight: 2.06 carat
Color Grade: D
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Medium Blue

Thanks for looking and thank you for any replies in advance =)2=)2

second.jpg
Lily

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What sort of settings do you like? For a daily driver you’d probably need something low-set and maybe bezelled to keep it protected from being smacked too often if you’re right handed.

Lily Pad

Rough_Rock
Premium
What sort of settings do you like? For a daily driver you’d probably need something low-set and maybe bezelled to keep it protected from being smacked too often if you’re right handed.

Hi! Thanks for your reply =)2
I am right handed, I love bezels and prefer them over prongs actually. My only concern with a bezel is if I decide to re-set the stone again in the future that it will be damaged in the process of taking the bezel apart. Is this common?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Thanks for your reply =)2
I am right handed, I love bezels and prefer them over prongs actually. My only concern with a bezel is if I decide to re-set the stone again in the future that it will be damaged in the process of taking the bezel apart. Is this common?
tbh I don’t know. I believe the bezel is destroyed if you reset the stone but whether that means your stone is at more risk than setting in prongs, you’d need to discuss with your jeweller or whoever would do the setting for you. Is there something about its clarity or other characteristics that make you think it might be more at risk? Like a feather or something?
You could also look at doing something that’s prong-set inside a frame - like these ones https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/octagon-bezels-recessed-vs-prong-set.180272/

Lily Pad

Rough_Rock
Premium
Or maybe a low set 3 stone style?

I saw a gorgeous gorgeous three stone James Meyer while lurking older threads, I can't remember who the poster was or what style it is :cry2:

Lily Pad

Rough_Rock
Premium
tbh I don’t know. I believe the bezel is destroyed if you reset the stone but whether that means your stone is at more risk than setting in prongs, you’d need to discuss with your jeweller or whoever would do the setting for you. Is there something about its clarity or other characteristics that make you think it might be more at risk? Like a feather or something?
You could also look at doing something that’s prong-set inside a frame - like these ones https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/octagon-bezels-recessed-vs-prong-set.180272/

The clarity characteristics on the report says "Crystal, Feather, Needle", what does this mean? Is a feathered diamond really bad? Oh jeez I never even noticed that or heard of it! o_Oo_O
I think I am set on a bezel setting of some sort. Pros seem to outweigh the cons, and I don't see myself getting tired of bezels anyway...

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The clarity characteristics on the report says "Crystal, Feather, Needle", what does this mean? Is a feathered diamond really bad? Oh jeez I never even noticed that or heard of it! o_Oo_O
Oh no! No no, please don’t worry! :eek2: Feathers are technically teeny wee cracks that reach the surface of the diamond so potentially if they’re on the edge and you put a prong on them and hit them juuuuust right, they can possibly fracture all the way through. But then a diamond can also just crack if you hit it right so really please don’t stress about it.
Bezel it, insure it and enjoy wearing it.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about hexagon or octagon multi-stone? I think it helps to make it not look eringy.

upload_2018-1-20_8-48-18.png
upload_2018-1-20_8-52-40.png
vintage-3-stone-ring-jpg.529456

Vintage bezel settings. DK and CVB could make something with this inspiration.
upload_2018-1-20_8-48-49.png
upload_2018-1-20_8-49-40.png
upload_2018-1-20_8-50-22.png
upload_2018-1-20_8-51-19.png

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hmm ... I would say a diamond like that deserves to shine. I would vote the classic Tiffany 6 prong.
Let’s be fair, a 2Ct ring is always going to raise the “oh, congratulations! That’s a beautiful ring” comment.

It is also large enough that it’ll get enough of the knock in daily wear no matter what you do ... I don’t know about others but the habit of taking it off did evolve very quickly into common practice :)

However, if you like bezels ... well go ahead :)
That’s a gorgeous diamond.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote something not typical engagement ring looking (that is what you're trying to stay away from right)? A bezeled 3 stone would be lovely...
its going to be pretty big with a 2 carat center (maybe not a problem:geek2:). I love some of the fake bezels that look like bezels but have prongs.
That way you dont destroy the setting.

Here is a regular 3 stone bezel from CVB. I tend to like the octagonal bezels like posted above.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/202725...t-side-diamond-custom?ref=shop_home_active_84

Last edited:

Lily Pad

Rough_Rock
Premium

Attachments

• GIA.png
    GIA.png
    439.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image2sd.jpeg
    image2sd.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 15

Lily Pad

Rough_Rock
Premium
Oh no! No no, please don’t worry! :eek2: Feathers are technically teeny wee cracks that reach the surface of the diamond so potentially if they’re on the edge and you put a prong on them and hit them juuuuust right, they can possibly fracture all the way through. But then a diamond can also just crack if you hit it right so really please don’t stress about it.
Bezel it, insure it and enjoy wearing it.

Okay I found the actual pdf for the stone
GIA.png
I don't think that looks too bad. I feel like such a moron haha I always thought clarity was all I needed to know. Thank you for explaining to me.
Bezel bezel bezel is what I'm really feeling now :)

Lily Pad

Rough_Rock
Premium
What about hexagon or octagon multi-stone? I think it helps to make it not look eringy.

upload_2018-1-20_8-48-18.png
upload_2018-1-20_8-52-40.png
vintage-3-stone-ring-jpg.529456

Vintage bezel settings. DK and CVB could make something with this inspiration.
upload_2018-1-20_8-48-49.png
upload_2018-1-20_8-49-40.png
upload_2018-1-20_8-50-22.png
upload_2018-1-20_8-51-19.png
Thank you thank you for all the pictures, love the hexagon/octagon. I heard of CVB from here and love her designs, especially this rose cut pear bezel she has!!

Lily Pad

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hmm ... I would say a diamond like that deserves to shine. I would vote the classic Tiffany 6 prong.
Let’s be fair, a 2Ct ring is always going to raise the “oh, congratulations! That’s a beautiful ring” comment.

It is also large enough that it’ll get enough of the knock in daily wear no matter what you do ... I don’t know about others but the habit of taking it off did evolve very quickly into common practice :)

However, if you like bezels ... well go ahead :)
That’s a gorgeous diamond.
Hihi :)
Yeah that's very true, I'm still expecting to get some questions but I'm hoping a different enough setting would attract less of those questions... Maybe later on (when and if I find myself a significant other :roll2:) I can reset to a prong solitaire haha

Lily Pad

Rough_Rock
Premium
I vote something not typical engagement ring looking (that is what you're trying to stay away from right)? A bezeled 3 stone would be lovely...
its going to be pretty big with a 2 carat center (maybe not a problem:geek2:). I love some of the fake bezels that look like bezels but have prongs.
That way you dont destroy the setting.

Here is a regular 3 stone bezel from CVB. I tend to like the octagonal bezels like posted above.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/202725...t-side-diamond-custom?ref=shop_home_active_84

That is what I'm worried about, my finger is size 4.5/4.75 and it's plenty big already, if I add two stones to the side... It will be a whopper. I am very torn between a three stone (with smaller stones on sides) and solitaire, the solitaire I would stack the heck out of it with non traditional bands.....
Found this one google but something like this?
stacking-gold-rings-1.jpg
Maybe even throw in one or two of these gorg rose cut bands from CVB
https://www.etsy.com/listing/566609063/cvb-jessica-style-rose-cut-diamond?ref=shop_home_active_18

I think the other bands would be a low key distraction from the actual diamond in the centre
What do you think?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is what I'm worried about, my finger is size 4.5/4.75 and it's plenty big already, if I add two stones to the side... It will be a whopper. I am very torn between a three stone (with smaller stones on sides) and solitaire, the solitaire I would stack the heck out of it with non traditional bands.....
Found this one google but something like this?
stacking-gold-rings-1.jpg
Maybe even throw in one or two of these gorg rose cut bands from CVB
https://www.etsy.com/listing/566609063/cvb-jessica-style-rose-cut-diamond?ref=shop_home_active_18

I think the other bands would be a low key distraction from the actual diamond in the centre
What do you think?

I guess if its a RHR, I'd lean away from a solitaire. But, do what you like.

What about colored stones for the sides, but just keep them small. The hexagons I posted show sides stones that are about 2mm smaller than the center stone width. So, you change the proportions to suit you small finger. I've seen hexagons with 3-3.5 mm stones. Maybe something more like this? {not the design, just the proportions and imagine some color}.

I love colored stones as bridges for mixing metal color and outfits.

upload_2018-1-20_14-33-24.png

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe a 2 stone bypass ring with a smaller colored stone? 2 stone rings look very not engagement-y to me

upload_2018-1-20_16-10-14.png

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
upload_2018-1-20_16-13-47.png
bezel example from diamonds by lauren

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results