shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Y'know, for $14,000, I'd expect to see an AGL Prestige report. This has no lab report of any kind. (I can't think of the last time a Paraiba listing of hers rested on anything other than her say-so as to its ID and country of origin -- and yes, that bugs me.)

You know what? I totally agree with you! I tend to get lost in the color and sparkle and lose my way on those important details. :lol-2: For that kind of price, a prestige report would be ideal.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha I love how committed to Paraibas you are Elle! What did you very first one look like?

Well thank you. :kiss2: I'm definitely a CS girl at heart and I love so many colors but nothing tops that Caribbean blue green that a paraiba boasts (except maybe apatite but that's too soft for this girl). Seriously, it stops me in my tracks every time. :mrgreen2:

My first paraiba is actually in my avatar ring. It's not even great quality (and a little on the opaque side) but I love it like crazy!

20171115_153959.jpg

And my unset paraiba collection looking their absolute best.
IMG_2154.jpg

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Y'know, for $14,000, I'd expect to see an AGL Prestige report. This has no lab report of any kind. (I can't think of the last time a Paraiba listing of hers rested on anything other than her say-so as to its ID and country of origin -- and yes, that bugs me.)

Would be interesting whether clarity enhanced...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well thank you. :kiss2: I'm definitely a CS girl at heart and I love so many colors but nothing tops that Caribbean blue green that a paraiba boasts (except maybe apatite but that's too soft for this girl). Seriously, it stops me in my tracks every time. :mrgreen2:

My first paraiba is actually in my avatar ring. It's not even great quality (and a little on the opaque side) but I love it like crazy!

20171115_153959.jpg

And my unset paraiba collection looking their absolute best.
IMG_2154.jpg

Sooooo gorgeous!!!!!! I'm a bit bangle crazy right now so when I see those unset stones I imagine sticking them all in a row on a bangle!

So sad I'm too late for the Paraiba train!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Totally get what you are saying. I’ve read here that she has gotten lab reports when requested. I can’t remember who posted it so not sure what lab was used. Does anyone else remember seeing posts on this?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a steal! It’s gorgeous. I really hope someone buys it so the seller doesn’t recut that stone.
If the seller were located where I am, I'd grab it in a heartbeat! Unfortunately with international shipping and taxes, I can't pull the trigger!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just curious, is it that much more with shipping and taxes? I’m considering getting it and I’m based in Singapore but haven’t thought of the implications I guess

Singapore should be ok. But I'm based elsewhere where the customs is corrupt and arbitrary (Asos packages go missing!) and I have no home trips back in the near future nor do I want to trouble the family (or let then know I'm buying that much stuff ;)).

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Damn that’s bad luck! Thanks for sharing.

Regardless I’m thinking of passing on it because I have a mint tourmaline myself and the same size, just emerald cut and less blue.

Sigh such hard decisions. I love this one though:oops2:.

I'm flying to the Bkk Gem Fair in Feb and am hoping very hard I come across a similar one there. I'd like one towards the blue spectrum too! I'd love to see yours if you have a photo of it handy to be posted on PS!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
. Totally get what you are saying. I’ve read here that she has gotten lab reports when requested. I can’t remember who posted it so not sure what lab was used. Does anyone else remember seeing posts on this?
Yvonne seems to rely on GAL (in the same building as AGL), more particularly GAL's mini-reports which apparently cost just $20. See her offer in body of this listing to get this sapphire, advertised as unheated & from Ceyon, "certified" by GAL for $20:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/236493610/sale-unheated-ceylon-sapphire-color?ref=shop_home_active_8

But look at the GAL mini-reports, where found in her current listings, and you'll see that they say nothing about origin & are utterly silent re treatment(s). E.g., photo of GAL mini-report in this listing for what is also advertised as an unheated Ceylon sapphire:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/201023589/unheated-ceylon-sapphire-7x6mm-oval?ref=shop_home_active_18

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad you pointed that out, as that's really worrisome. I've been wondering how she is certain that her cuprians are from Brazil. At the very least, it means she is relying on the word of her vendors/suppliers of stones...

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The emerald I previously purchased from her included the GAL card, but I paid extra to get the AGL Prestige report. If I recall correctly the guy at GAL used to work at AGL and Yvonne uses him more regularly as he is cheaper and has a faster turnaround (her business traditionally relied on volume rather than high value item). Yvonne is willing to get the AGL reports upon request. I can understand her not including them for the cheaper gems, but I do think she should include them for the big ticket items.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yvonne seems to rely on GAL (in the same building as AGL), more particularly GAL's mini-reports which apparently cost just $20. See her offer in body of this listing to get this sapphire, advertised as unheated & from Ceyon, "certified" by GAL for $20:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/236493610/sale-unheated-ceylon-sapphire-color?ref=shop_home_active_8

But look at the GAL mini-reports, where found in her current listings, and you'll see that they say nothing about origin & are utterly silent re treatment(s). E.g., photo of GAL mini-report in this listing for what is also advertised as an unheated Ceylon sapphire:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/201023589/unheated-ceylon-sapphire-7x6mm-oval?ref=shop_home_active_18

@MollyMalone, in the GAL card for the second sapphire it says in the comments area "No evidence of treatment". You are right that it does not specify origin though.

I think Yvonne could use GAL for cheaper stones (say, between $500 and $1000) where it might not be cost effective to get a more pricey AGL report, and anything above $1000 should include AGL reports in the price.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MollyMalone, in the GAL card for the second sapphire it says in the comments area "No evidence of treatment". You are right that it does not specify origin though.

I think Yvonne could use GAL for cheaper stones (say, between $500 and $1000) where it might not be cost effective to get a more pricey AGL report, and anything above $1000 should include AGL reports in the price.
Oh geez, Mochiko, I shouldn't post when I'm bleary-eyed at midnight! I didn't notice the eensy comment re treatment underneath the pic of the stone; I was expecting to see any notation as to enhancement/treatment in the same size font & general position as the other information re, e.g., size.

Thanks so much for setting things straight!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
“Nooo!!!! You are not spending your college fund on pretty rocks!!”

:read: :appl:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. I love the color, but ouch on the price tag!

It's about $1000/carat so yeah it's not priced cheap. I actually viewed a smaller, similar stone the seller had and was tempted to keep it. The only fault it had was the size as I restrict myself to 7.5mm or bigger stones. I've been wanting a lavender to pink color change color Luc Yen spinel for many years and ended up settling for a violet one instead. Mine was more $ per carat so I definitely overpaid. I am still tempted by the one I posted though!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results