shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a Very Strong fluorescence diamond

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks ac117. I am confortable with up to $8000. Thanks for the suggestions, the stones are beautiful. However, all stones have "Strong" fluorescence, instead of the "Very Strong" I was looking for. I will consider them, but I would prefer if I could find a VS fluoro stone. Moreover, how can I be sure that the stones are not hazy?
Kran,
This is a bit of a conundrum in that the likelihood of the stone having noticeable transparency deficits increases significantly as the the strength of the fluoro increases. And, the more research you do on the visual impacts of fluorescence the more you come to realize that those impacts occur across a spectrum. It's not a yes/no question when it comes to haziness.

That said, the good news is that the UV and VV intensity of the lighting environment has to be extremely high for fluorescence to be activated. Therefore, other than outdoors, you will rarely be in a lighting environment that would cause any haziness due to fluorescencence. (but it would be slightly more likely with VSB than SB).

Regarding aiming for higher clarity, I agree that this is a way to minimize potential issues with haziness. Clarity characteristics such as twinning wisps and graining seem to be commonly associated with fluoresce and can in-and-of themselves scatter light and reduce transparency. It's possible that the combination of activated fluorescence with the presence of such clarity features has a compounding effect.

There is a thread you might find interesting here that goes pretty deep into the weeds on various aspects of fluorescence.

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they have a good return policy, buy it and check it out for yourself. (Or have an independent appraisal done. - not at a jewelry store) Send it back if it has an oily/hazy appearance.

Kran

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the replies. Buying a beatiful diamond with very strong fluorescence indeed might be difficult. That's why I feel I need help, first form users but possibly also professional help form an independent expert.

Bryan, Sheerah is currently searching for stones with very strong fluorescence there at WhiteFlash for me. She was cautious about the negative effects of fluorescence just as you. That actually made me feel safer by having her look for stones for me, as I feel WhiteFlash would refuse many fluorescent stones with negative impacts.

Meanwhile I have other vendors looking for such fluorescent diamonds as well. One of them is David from GOG, who has bought a VSB fluorescence stone already and is offering it to me. I will post it here so that all users can comment and help me evaluate them.

This is the stone GOG has just bought:

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond..._round-EX-GIA-I-VS1-diamond-stock-16427-cert-

This is a video he has made for me, showing the strong fluorescence.

He told me he can recut this stone into a H&A with small carat loss. I like the stone, but I dont feel experienced enough to evaluate if the stone has any negatives from the fluorescence. The GIA report has a comment "internal graining is not shown" which worries me, as I heard internal graining is often the source of problems for fluorescent diamonds. Can someone help me evaluate the fluoresce of this diamond? The youtube video shows it under different light conditions.

Moreover, I feel this diamond has some brown undertone. Is it correct? If so, would it perform badly at a yellow gold setting? It is also more expensive (5100$ vs 4414$), and only a little bigger (1.09 vs 1.06), and lower clarity (VS1 vs VVS1) than the correspondent diamond at Yadav. Moreover, the Yadav diamonds seems to have a better cut as it (David tells me he can recut his stone). However, it looks like the Yadav diamond has shades of gray, which is quite of a problem as it would not match well with the yellow gold engagement setting I plan on buying. I feel like brownish yellow is better than grayish against a yellow gold solitaire. Which is better for me?

@Ringo: thanks for the comment. I would love to be able to see diamonds in person and return them if there is a problem. However, I dont even live in the United States for this to be possible. I will buy the diamond online, and then get the diamond setted in a ring once I go to the U.S., which will happen eventually, or I will ask to have it delivered for some friend that is coming to Brazil.

Last edited:

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Kran, I am by no means an expert, but if you buy online from a vendor with a good return policy, why not order it & inspect it yourself? Bring it to a local appraiser. If it’s not to your liking simply package it up & return it.

I bought online at a great price & had a 30 day return period. I inspected the stone, liked it & had it appraised locally before deciding it was a keeper. My stone is J color & has very strong blue fluorescence. In some of the additional requested pics i asked for, it appeared grayish but in person I think it’s fantastic! I’m so happy we took the chance. I later set it in platinum but to me it would look just as amazing in yellow gold, in fact my runner up setting choice was yellow gold. I just put a YG band next to my ring to see & it looks great!

You can get lots of advice here but the best judge in my humble opinion is your own eyes. You can get a 2nd opinion from an appraiser to validate.

Good luck!

Kran

Rough_Rock
Thank you Kbell for the advice! Nice to hear you have a very strong fluorescence stone as well. I would love to be able to buy the diamond and then return it if there is a problem. However, I live in Brazil, not in the U.S., so it is not possible. The only possibility would be to have the stone sent to an appraiser, and if we dont like it, then we can simply return it. However, the appraiser will charge me for that, and possibly charge for each stone evaluated.

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you Kbell for the advice! Nice to hear you have a very strong fluorescence stone as well. I would love to be able to buy the diamond and then return it if there is a problem. However, I live in Brazil, not in the U.S., so it is not possible. The only possibility would be to have the stone sent to an appraiser, and if we dont like it, then we can simply return it. However, the appraiser will charge me for that, and possibly charge for each stone evaluated.

So they will ship international to you but not accept international returns? Just curious.

Maybe if they have the stone in house they could sit it on a YG setting & send pics/video of that so you can see how it looks against the yellow metal? Worth inquiring!

Kran

Rough_Rock
I will not have it shipped internationally for tax reasons. Believe it or not, government does charge 100% import tax on jewelry. So if I buy a 6000$ engagement ring, I would end up paying 12000$. No thanks. I will have it sent into a friends address in the U.S., who will then come to Brazil later and bring the ring to me in her finger.

Hopefully a vendor would be able to show pics/video of the diamond in yellow metal, but that might be difficult. Good Old Gold might do so, but I doubt many other vendors would.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kran
Have you ever seen a VSB stone..? You may or may not like it. Here is my VSB Octavia under the sun.
IMG_2765.JPG IMG_2867.JPG IMG_2884.JPG

Kran

Rough_Rock
Hi Dancing Fire,

Didn't know your Octavia is also a VSB! I didn't know it was even possible for a diamond to be that blue in the sun. I absolutely love it, that is exactly what I am looking for. To be honest tough, it does not look like my possible diamonds are that strong in fluorescence, even being VSB as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results