shape
carat
color
clarity

Resizing Woes

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
933A977B-26C7-41C8-822B-E9DEDB0D4AC5.jpeg F4FEF169-885C-4EA2-99AF-C54289A103A5.jpeg
Hello!

I had my ER resized by James Allen from a 5.5 to a 4.5.

Upon receiving yesterday, I noticed that one of the pave diamonds was sticking out (see photos below). Hard to capture on camera, but you can definitely feel it when you run a finger along the ring and under a loupe it’s very apparent. I’m worried that I’m going to lose stones. Doing more research, I see people generally advise against resizing these types of rings (3-sided pave). Is my resizing going to cause more of these issues? Was a 5.5-4.5 too big of a jump for this type of ring?

I called JA last night and a representative asked me to send them pictures via email. I did and didn’t get any response at all, so I called again this morning. This rep told me that she was going to set up a warranty service (my fiancé received the ring mid-Dec) to have the ring and all the stones checked out/repaired. Shouldn’t this have been done after the resizing? They even include a “quality control/checked by ____” card with the resized ring! So frustrated and sad that we are no longer in the 30-day return period. Is there anything else I can/should do at this point?

I hate being without my ring for so long after getting engaged (resizing took a couple of weeks, who knows how long this warranty service will take), but I guess better to figure this out now vs later :(2

M

MTHealthyLiving

I honestly don’t do any resizing anymore for this reason (specialty rings are hard to resize), and after my debacle with Kay I don’t trust them to do anything.
Plus, my fingers fluctuate in size so much that I’m never one consistent size.
So instead I use ring sizers that can be easily put on and removed.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I honestly don’t do any resizing anymore for this reason (specialty rings are hard to resize), and after my debacle with Kay I don’t trust them to do anything.

By ring sizers you mean the metal sizing balls/bars added to the ring?

M

MTHealthyLiving

By ring sizers you mean the metal sizing balls/bars added to the ring?

I’m also a fan of ring stacking which makes the rings on your finger tighter. Plus it’s a good way to get more diamond bands for anniversaries, birthdays, etc...

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. I see it. Unacceptable.
Perhaps you could have the diamond set properly locally and ask JA to pay for it. It would take almost no time to set it correctly.
I am sorry. I know this must be so terribly frustrating.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I don't really wear rings, and this is my first diamond (or any gemstone) ring so I am put off by the whole thing. Thanks for the ring sizer recommendation!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m also a fan of ring stacking which makes the rings on your finger tighter. Plus it’s a good way to get more diamond bands for anniversaries, birthdays, etc...

I like your style! :mrgreen2:

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ugh. I see it. Unacceptable.
Perhaps you could have the diamond set properly locally and ask JA to pay for it. It would take almost no time to set it correctly.
I am sorry. I know this must be so terribly frustrating.

I'll see what they say to that. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results