shape
carat
color
clarity

Online vs. In-Store

jylee05

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

Just went into a store and saw this diamond.
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/F-SI1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D40264325

I've also been browsing online and saw something at WhiteFlash I also might be interested in.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3907538.htm

What are your thoughts between the two? Should I be concerned about going from F color to G color?
Should I be worried about S1 inclusions and the ability to see them with the naked eye or its impact on the brilliance / fire / sparkle?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond you posted does not have an actual image. The WF one does. Do the inclusions bother you?

jylee05

Rough_Rock
Do you think they would be visible with the naked eye? If so, then yes I think they would be bothersome for sure.

danielcollins12

Rough_Rock
Trade
Clarity is most important before buying a diamond. Because it introduces the external and internal visual originality of a diamond, called blemishes and inclusions.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Er.. what do you mean “introduces the external and internal visual originality of the diamond”? I don’t agree with your assertion that clarity is most important before buying a diamond. But each to their own preferences. I think the cut is more important than clarity for example.

OP, IMO, it depends on the inclusions. I don’t like clouds for example where they’re the grade setting inclusion since they can make a diamond appear fuzzy or less crisp and clear. Other inclusions, their location and volume may be more or less ok.
WF have marked the one you’ve linked as eye clean so I would trust their eye BUT I would also check that their definition of eye clean (ie distance) works for you.

jylee05

Rough_Rock
Rocky, thanks for the suggestions. I will review these.

Seems like G color is OK with you and moving up the clarity range to VVS2-VS2 is kind of your suggestion. I liked all 3 of them and really like the "value" of the Jame allen G VS2 hearts & arrow you suggested. The HCA came back 2.7 on that one. Is that too high of a score and I should keep looking around? Thx Rocky!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rocky, thanks for the suggestions. I will review these.

Seems like G color is OK with you and moving up the clarity range to VVS2-VS2 is kind of your suggestion. I liked all 3 of them and really like the "value" of the Jame allen G VS2 hearts & arrow you suggested. The HCA came back 2.7 on that one. Is that too high of a score and I should keep looking around? Thx Rocky!
The ability to perceive color is biological. But, color is visible to most at GIA I from the side. By GIA J, even the most color insensitive seem to see the color from the side (not necessarily face-up). My personal preference is actually G/H as I don't like 'icy white' of D,E,F. There certainly are those that can see the difference between F and G (we have a few PS members in this category), but I'd say they are not the majority. Even an H hard for most. Also seeing color and minding color are different. So, yes, I'm personally fine with G (if 'colorless is goal) or H if near works. In a super-ideal, I'd be open to I. If the intended wearer can go look at GIA rated diamonds, that would be ideal to establish their color sensitivity before dropping to an J. I is borderline. AGS is a bit softer on color, so since you choose F colors, I did not want to dip below G in color based on your post. You can also affect how the color is perceived by the metal color and how visible the side is. If you use RG or YG and a decorative 6-prong, its pretty hard to see color.

AGS is stricter than GIA on cut and the light performance is right there. So, no, I don't mind that the HCA is 2.6 on that selection. Still request IS (ideals scope) images from JA. But, the numbers are well balance and I like the way it looks.

On clarity, we see and find some amazing SI1 (and a few Si2s). If you are happy with 'eyeclean', than SI offer a great value. If you need 'mind clean' VS will probably suit better. I spend more time looking at the size/type/location of the inclusion than the actual grading. Clarity is graded by humans and there is some overlap.

The big question about vendor to me is do you ever see a desire to upgrade? If so, JA will require that the next diamond is 2x the prince, while WF and HPD (HighPerformanceDiamonds) allow upgrade to any higher value from their inhouse lines.

Just wanted to add that anytime someone is looking over 2 carts, I ask if the intended wearer has actually tried on a diamond of the size they intend. As modern rounds get bigger in spread, they get taller. For some (like me), I am height sensitive more than spread. That said, my mom wears a 5 carat diamond with total comfort (size 6.75 ring).

jylee05

Rough_Rock
Rocky, thank you for such a detailed response!

I am actually going to see the JA 2.39 stone that you recommended to me tomorrow at their showroom and will let you know how it turns out. As a layman who has only seen a 5-6 diamonds laid out to me by a jeweler last week, are there any critical things I should be on the lookout for? I will likely be impressed, so would be good to have a few things to check for to confirm all the digital imagery comports to what we think the diamond should look like in-person. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Wrt to your big Q, thanks for that thought. I did think about this and am looking for a lifetime purchase instead of upgrading down the road with them.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing is that you need to see the diamond in different kinds of light. Store lights make most diamonds look good. You need to see it in daylight, and in shadow (in daylight but turning your back to the llight), examples of different lighting situations.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if you like it, don’t commit yet. Go back at least oneness more time on another day at another time of the day. Don’t let them pressure you to commit the first day you see it. Take videos and pictures indoors and outdoors. Ask them to go outside the store with you. Go to a dark corner of the store to view and take pics. Usually the first time you see a stone you are too dazzled to really be critical and evaluate. That is why it is important to double check. I even triple check if I can.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGS is stricter than GIA on cut and the light performance is right there. So, no, I don't mind that the HCA is 2.6 on that selection. Still request IS (ideals scope) images from JA. But, the numbers are well balance and I like the way it looks.

Totally agree with @rockysalamander My friend and I ended choosing a stone that was ags000 but had a hca around 3. Never woulda thought but it was the beautiful one irl. I definitely trust ags000.

jylee05

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Jimmiane and LLJsmom. I will make sure not to buy today, but look and take pictures / videos in various lighting.

Both Rocky and LLJs have suggested I request idealscope images, which I will do in person. I also saw they posted them on their website as well. See screenshot link below. It appears to be pretty good IS image to me, but would love any feedback.

Off to JA showroom, thx!

https://app.box.com/s/6gztsngcw8gtjevnrau7tk2xco2zua57

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results