shape
carat
color
clarity

Look at what showed up at my house on Sunday

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, what a rollercoaster! so glad she came back. She has the sweetest face.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! I was a bit worried that her coat might get her tangled while "on the run". So glad she came back. Hope you find a good place for her.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! I was a bit worried that her coat might get her tangled while "on the run". So glad she came back. Hope you find a good place for her.

I do, too. I wanted her and was going to ask if I could have her, but I couldn't prevent those escapes and she would die. I hope she is placed somewhere with someone who knows how to manage her and-who knows those hounds and has the right space and the right head to keep her alive! She deserves a good, long life!!!

Deb :wavey:

PS-I firmly believe that people have to be matched with a breed. Not everyone can have a Newfoundland, as I can. One must be able to tolerate a lot of dirt and drool as well as to handle a simply enormous animal. But they do not jump six foot fences and run away forever!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to see her back!!!

A padded harness (so not uncomfortable on her thin body) would be good for her instead of a collar (or in addition to!) so she can't slip out of her collar while on leash.

Love your idea of a Tile. Awesome thinking!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Thank God!! Were you there when she arrived back? Was she overwhelmed with happiness to see and be back with you, or was she looking guilty, like she was worried she'd be in trouble?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do, too. I wanted her and was going to ask if I could have her, but I couldn't prevent those escapes and she would die. I hope she is placed somewhere with someone who knows how to manage her and-who knows those hounds and has the right space and the right head to keep her alive! She deserves a good, long life!!!

PS-I firmly believe that people have to be matched with a breed. Not everyone can have a Newfoundland, as I can. One must be able to tolerate a lot of dirt and drool as well as to handle a simply enormous animal. But they do not jump six foot fences and run away forever!

I agree. Fat, lazy bulldogs who can't walk very far are my perfect breed. Lol

She will get vaccinations next wednesday and then will move to the rescue facility.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Thank God!! Were you there when she arrived back? Was she overwhelmed with happiness to see and be back with you, or was she looking guilty, like she was worried she'd be in trouble?

No, I was at the grocery and my daughter happened to look out the window to see her come out of the woods where we had been looking for her and walk across my street next door to my house. (Private drive). My daughter ran outside and picked her up and brought her in. Lol.

Riby looks like she DGAF, but her eyes are dull again.... exhausted, sleeping an hungry. I expect she will try to escape when she perks up in 3 days,

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad she is back!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't found any ads about a missing hound....
Been reading this adventure...so good of you to take her in and so happy she's safe! Would you accept offers to help pay for her care? She feels like a member of PS :)

If you haven't already, you may try calling the local for your town and surrounding area. It's how we found one of our Huskies who slipped out of her collar and got away.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Whitewave, glad this girl found you and then decided to come back after she went on the lam.
My first thought was that she ran off to play and possibly roll around in something mucky and stinky. Whenever I took my beagle Daisy to my parents farm, we let her roam (60 acres) and she’d come back with the sides of her face smeared with animal feces every time. I thought it was hilarious. She always came back; she just needed to do what her breed of dogs does. Since it seems you have a scent hound on your hands (a lovely one at that) maybe keep this anecdata in mind for future reference.

Best of luck to you with Ruby!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to see her back!!!

A padded harness (so not uncomfortable on her thin body) would be good for her instead of a collar (or in addition to!) so she can't slip out of her collar while on leash.

Love your idea of a Tile. Awesome thinking!

Good idea. I have a harness around here somewhere-- will go look.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been reading this adventure...so good of you to take her in and so happy she's safe! Would you accept offers to help pay for her care? She feels like a member of PS :)

If you haven't already, you may try calling the local for your town and surrounding area. It's how we found one of our Huskies who slipped out of her collar and got away.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm covering it. I did post her on some area pages... obviously I would prefer she go to her rightful owner (if that owner is a good owner and she is simply a Houdini)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Whitewave, glad this girl found you and then decided to come back after she went on the lam.
My first thought was that she ran off to play and possibly roll around in something mucky and stinky. Whenever I took my beagle Daisy to my parents farm, we let her roam (60 acres) and she’d come back with the sides of her face smeared with animal feces every time. I thought it was hilarious. She always came back; she just needed to do what her breed of dogs does. Since it seems you have a scent hound on your hands (a lovely one at that) maybe keep this anecdata in mind for future reference.

Best of luck to you with Ruby!

Oh my! Thank god she didn't come back covered in feces!!'

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoever ends up adopting Ruby should buy her a gps collar like those used on hunting dogs.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoever ends up adopting Ruby should buy her a gps collar like those used on hunting dogs.

Yes, indeed. The vet wondered if she wasn't a particularly good hunting dog and that is why she isn't chipped or doesn't have a gps collar-- she even wondered if Ruby was left behind on purpose sad :((

Next owner needs to be proficient in scent dogs for sure!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad she's back! What a naughty girl.

Q

Queenie60

Thank God! Now for the challenge of keeping her safe and not able to run off.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps there is a kennel club for rehoming individuals of this breed (like they have for retired greyhounds, etc.)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"Extreme endurance" - they say & isn't it right. Beautiful too ...

Hoping for the best !

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better put her on lockdown! Whew, I’m so relieved she made it back!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good idea. I have a harness around here somewhere-- will go look.

My guys like to slip collars and try to run after scents. They always have a collar and harness on when we go out with a leash attached to each so if they get off one I have the other on them still. When going somewhere really exciting, I hold one and DH holds the other so we can each have one leash per hand since they are so strong.

Car travel...
One leash stays hooked at all times. The one on the harness gets secured to the car (either cargo tie down or around head restraint posts). The one secured is hooked to the harness. When we get where we are going, I hook the second leash to the harness and hang on tight while I get the other off of the secure point. That one is then clipped to the collar for my second hold.
It isn't bad once you get used to it and means there is never a loose dog trying to get out car doors. It also prevents them from flying out of the car in the event of an accident.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guys like to slip collars and try to run after scents. They always have a collar and harness on when we go out with a leash attached to each so if they get off one I have the other on them still. When going somewhere really exciting, I hold one and DH holds the other so we can each have one leash per hand since they are so strong.

Car travel...
One leash stays hooked at all times. The one on the harness gets secured to the car (either cargo tie down or around head restraint posts). The one secured is hooked to the harness. When we get where we are going, I hook the second leash to the harness and hang on tight while I get the other off of the secure point. That one is then clipped to the collar for my second hold.
It isn't bad once you get used to it and means there is never a loose dog trying to get out car doors. It also prevents them from flying out of the car in the event of an accident.

Aha! Someone who could handle this breed! My hat is off to you (once again), TooPatient. Dogs needing this would drive me seriously insane...and my best friend (who has wolf hybrids) does have dogs like this. But they don't often go anywhere off her big property. They are either kept between very high and reinforced fences (reinforced at the bottom for digging) or walked between places by a strong man whom they obey.

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for taking this sweet girl in! I was fairly certain she would find her way back to her new food source, but I can imagine how defeated you and your daughter felt. She must have a strong prey drive, and caught a sent of something.

My field bred Pointer ran off into the desert during a walk, the day after we rescued him. My husband thought (and I think secretly hoped) that he was gone for good. When my husband gave up, and whent home, he found our new dog there waiting for him.

Out here, after hunting season, many Pointers are abandoned in the desert... that could be the case for Ruby.

BTW, we found a baby tortoise in my yard almost two years ago. Every time I give up hope, because I haven't seen her in weeks, she magically appears... her name is Ruby.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby you naughty sausage!! But look at her sweet face, it melts my heart. I'm so glad she found her way back to you.

A breed specific rescue might be consideration since it sounds like the owner will need to be able to handle such a breed. Here's a couple I found but I'm not sure how reputable they are. The first one is in the North East but they may be connected to other Coonhound rescues.

http://www.necoonhoundrescue.org/

http://treeingwalkercoonhound.rescueme.org/

https://www.facebook.com/Coonhound-Rescue-Network-Page-186296814742904/

https://www.facebook.com/treeingwalkercoonhound.rescueme.org/

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad she came back to you! I hope you can find a good specific rescue for her, like those mentioned above. It really is so important to understand the breed you have (it is my one issue with mystery rescue dogs) I have a nice easily trained and relatively lazy Cavalier KCS.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, she is on lock down with pee wee pads... no outside for her right now. If she goes off again, she will surely die. I thought she was having a neurological issue last night... her eyes couldn't seem to focus. I gave her electrolytes and some food and she is perky this morning.

I do have harnesses for the car, so that is a good idea.

The rescue she is going with is high quality, so I am sure they have contacts with breed specific rescues.

She is sleeping all day and I go by her often for pets and good girls and every two hours I offer her food. Last night, she couldnt get up to eat. I have a new coat on her... if she loses this one, I am out of coats.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby you naughty sausage!! But look at her sweet face, it melts my heart. I'm so glad she found her way back to you.

A breed specific rescue might be consideration since it sounds like the owner will need to be able to handle such a breed. Here's a couple I found but I'm not sure how reputable they are. The first one is in the North East but they may be connected to other Coonhound rescues.

http://www.necoonhoundrescue.org/

http://treeingwalkercoonhound.rescueme.org/

https://www.facebook.com/Coonhound-Rescue-Network-Page-186296814742904/

https://www.facebook.com/treeingwalkercoonhound.rescueme.org/

Thanks. I will read...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I am cracking up at Ruby the turtle...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results