shape
carat
color
clarity

Should i purchase this?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No! The angles do not complement each other. It's steep/deep, and it will have leakage and probably color entrapment. HCA is 5.1.

IvfGotHope

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your suggestions!

I will take all advice!

Ill be ready to purchase by the end of february but my goal is to find a 3.5 round that will look good in this setting.

Do you think a 3.3 would be noticeably different fdom a 3.5?

Screenshot_20180116-111225.png Screenshot_20180116-111155.png

IvfGotHope

Rough_Rock
Also i am wanting this setting in platinum

My budget is flexible but i want the best deal/value

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There will be a slight difference between 3.5 vs 3.3 but if you have a beautifully cut diamond, all anyone will notice is the sparkle from that big ol' rock! See below for the approx. size difference between the 3.54 you originally chose and the 3.36 diamond I linked.

There are no deals in diamonds...that's why we like to ask what you feel comfortable spending and what criteria you prefer to prioritize. PSers always prioritize CUT as the first C. Other than that, so many people here vary - some are color sensitive and want higher colors only, others may be totally fine with near colorless, some prefer 'mind clean' VS1 and higher stones over 'eye clean' VS2 or SI1/SI2, some want the largest size in their budget and are willing to compromise on one and/or the other to get the size they want.

3.54 v 3.36.PNG

IvfGotHope

Rough_Rock
Great to know and thank you for that size conparison!

When it comes to that particular setting i want, do you suggest i go with the jeweler who designed it (https://stephaniegottlieb.com) or trust another conpany can copy it? For example if i buy the diamond from whiteflash-- have them make that setting?

Also the jeweler prefers they work with me from start to finish-- should i forward them a whiteflash diamond i like and trust they can get one very similar? Or should i find the diamond and pay the $500 setting fee (which is my originial plan)?

Also i do put cut as my first C but am not sure how color sensitive i am. How do you suggest i learn that?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$500 setting fee:eek2: - ouch! I can think of a few designers that can replicate that setting. I am curious as to what the quote for the setting from Stephanie is? This is not a very complicated design, many designers should be able to produce a similar setting. Choosing a well cut diamond should be your primary priority. A well cut 3ct diamond will be so amazing! I like @ac117 ‘s proposals!

IvfGotHope

Rough_Rock
They quoted me $4400 for the setting in platinum, plus $500 stone setting fee....

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They quoted me $4400 for the setting in platinum, plus $500 stone setting fee....
No way! That is how much a hand forged setting would cost. Please look into/ask for quotes the following designers - CvB ID, David Klass, Steven Kirsch, maybe Victor Canera.

IvfGotHope

Rough_Rock
I will! Thank u for that suggestion!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are you located? You could go to your nearest Hearts on Fire retailer (leave your wallet at home bc those suckers are overpriced) and compare several colors under different lighting conditions to see what your tolerance is. The important thing is that you should only be looking at GIA/AGS graded stones so you have an accurate representation of color.

$4400 for that?! :eek-2: Ummmm is it hand forged or cast? That doesn't seem like an overly complicated setting. I'm sure David Klass' uber bench could replicate that and provide CADs to post here so you are 100% happy before it goes into production for less than that and setting your stone would be part of it.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond is lovely.

But, how color sensitive is the intended wearer? Most people can start to see color at I and super-ideals hide that color more from the top than most. But, you have selected a very very open setting where the side view is very visible. That side view is where you see color. Is the intended wearer ok with this much color from the side? Photographic and lighting effects aside, the second photo in post #6 is what I would expect from an I or J (see below also). Does that suit?

upload_2018-1-17_7-45-11.png

On the setting, what aspect to you like? From a technical perspective there a few things that give me pause. The diamonds on the side of the saddle will make wearing a flush wedding band impossible. Maybe a non-issue of the wearer likes the V-shaped bands shown in these photos, but that shape band can make wearing it alone look a bit odd without more to stack with. Alone, the V-shape band tends to read as a fashion ring not ering to most (or so my coworker with one tells me). The two pave shanks are very thin. I'd like to see them a bit wider. The whole ring is wide and will take up a lot of finger. Does the wearer have large enough fingers for this?This is the kind of setting that will need to be babied. Does that work for the wearer and their job/hobbies?

Something constructed like this is more wearable and durable. It still needs a shaped wedding band, unless the gap won't bother the wearer.
https://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-...-shape-split-shank-engagement-ring-item-59207
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...iamond-split-shank-engagement-ring-item-50126

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-17_7-33-44.png
    upload_2018-1-17_7-33-44.png
    490.5 KB · Views: 27

IvfGotHope

Rough_Rock
The diamond is lovely.

But, how color sensitive is the intended wearer? Most people can start to see color at I and super-ideals hide that color more from the top than most. But, you have selected a very very open setting where the side view is very visible. That side view is where you see color. Is the intended wearer ok with this much color from the side? Photographic and lighting effects aside, the second photo in post #6 is what I would expect from an I or J (see below also). Does that suit?

upload_2018-1-17_7-45-11.png

On the setting, what aspect to you like? From a technical perspective there a few things that give me pause. The diamonds on the side of the saddle will make wearing a flush wedding band impossible. Maybe a non-issue of the wearer likes the V-shaped bands shown in these photos, but that shape band can make wearing it alone look a bit odd without more to stack with. Alone, the V-shape band tends to read as a fashion ring not ering to most (or so my coworker with one tells me). The two pave shanks are very thin. I'd like to see them a bit wider. The whole ring is wide and will take up a lot of finger. Does the wearer have large enough fingers for this?This is the kind of setting that will need to be babied. Does that work for the wearer and their job/hobbies?

Something constructed like this is more wearable and durable. It still needs a shaped wedding band, unless the gap won't bother the wearer.
https://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-...-shape-split-shank-engagement-ring-item-59207
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...iamond-split-shank-engagement-ring-item-50126

Thank you for pointing these things out!

The wearer does have large long fingers, which is why she likes this setting but I dont think she likes the idea of having to baby the band-- she is more on the low maintrnance side and works a lot in the hospital setting. Can you explain more about how the ring would need to be babied?

She likes the ring mainly because it very much makes the round cut diamond be the main attraction of the ring, with how it shows very big from the top and is visible on the sides.

For color sensitivity do you recomend going only as low as I? But maybe even aim for an H?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she is color sensitive (can see and dislikes color), you'd stick with G. If she can see the color, but does not mind a bit of tint, you can go down to I. I would have her look at a GIA J before assuming it works.

Any setting with pave (all those little diamonds) needs care as each diamond is held by tiny prongs, and this ring also looks like each shank (the areas holding the diamonds) is quite thin. All that equals a ring that is not meant for much abuse. If she works in healthcare, I would strongly avoid such a settings as this. In fact, for most healthcare providers, assuming they can wear a ring at work, bezel settings or collet settings are a better options. Also, side diamonds that are bead-set or channel set are far less likely to snag and scratch. I would use a blingy wedding band to add some extra sparkle. I'd also stick with platinum over gold if you can swing it on budget as platinum is far less likely to be injured by cleaning and disinfecting chemicals. If she has to scrub in, she should remove her rings, but that usually involves and iodine soap which can damage gold.

BUT, this is a huge syle departure and I would want you to really talk with her about the setting and how hand's-on she is with people and fabrics (prongs can snag on fabric).

Simple bezel (you can ask them to soften the edges of the bezel which is quite pretty).
https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/cameron-solitaire-engagement-ring-72.htm

Sholdt likely can modify this with a bead-set pave shank (for way less than $5k)
upload_2018-1-17_16-23-44.png
Sholdt Semi-Bezel (Vashon if I recall)
upload_2018-1-17_16-24-30.png

Prong-set Bezel (sometimes called collet)
upload_2018-1-17_16-17-59.png

You can use a smaller center and pair with side stone to give coverage but keep the ring low
upload_2018-1-17_16-30-30.png
upload_2018-1-17_16-30-59.png

Gallery can be quite floral if the geometric style does not work
upload_2018-1-17_16-37-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-17_16-15-9.png
    upload_2018-1-17_16-15-9.png
    383.3 KB · Views: 12
  • upload_2018-1-17_16-17-31.png
    upload_2018-1-17_16-17-31.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 11
  • upload_2018-1-17_16-28-17.png
    upload_2018-1-17_16-28-17.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 13
  • upload_2018-1-17_16-34-54.png
    upload_2018-1-17_16-34-54.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 11

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know anything about the quality of Stephanie's pieces? There's a few pieces on her site I like but they have a no return policy and if I didn't love what I purchased it would be a pretty expensive mistake.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know anything about the quality of Stephanie's pieces? There's a few pieces on her site I like but they have a no return policy and if I didn't love what I purchased it would be a pretty expensive mistake.

Honestly, I am not impressed. I follow her on IG because she posts cool pics of large diamonds. However, she is not a jeweler or a designer per se.
We have a great list recommended designers that can execute his fairly simple setting very well. Her prices are also ridiculous, a designer setting costs about the same. The WF or JA diamond suggestions are lovely. Please call David Klass and CvB for starters and ask for a quote for a similar setting. It would be appx 1/2 less.

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I am not impressed. I follow her on IG because she posts cool pics of large diamonds. However, she is not a jeweler or a designer per se.
We have a great list recommended designers that can execute his fairly simple setting very well. Her prices are also ridiculous, a designer setting costs about the same. The WF or JA diamond suggestions are lovely. Please call David Klass and CvB for starters and ask for a quote for a similar setting. It would be appx 1/2 less.

Thank you!! The ring I like on her site is a 2 finger "wavy" ring not engagement or wedding band.
I wouldn't trust my BGD with anyone other than a PS vendor!! :geek2:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! The ring I like on her site is a 2 finger "wavy" ring not engagement or wedding band.
I wouldn't trust my BGD with anyone other than a PS vendor!! :geek2:

Ah makes sense! Perhaps worth checking other forums/wedding sites for recommendations. The no return policy would give me a pause. Perhaps, if you are ever in the NYC are you can make an appt and see in person the quality of her jewels.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If she is color sensitive (can see and dislikes color), you'd stick with G. If she can see the color, but does not mind a bit of tint, you can go down to I. I would have her look at a GIA J before assuming it works.

Any setting with pave (all those little diamonds) needs care as each diamond is held by tiny prongs, and this ring also looks like each shank (the areas holding the diamonds) is quite thin. All that equals a ring that is not meant for much abuse. If she works in healthcare, I would strongly avoid such a settings as this. In fact, for most healthcare providers, assuming they can wear a ring at work, bezel settings or collet settings are a better options. Also, side diamonds that are bead-set or channel set are far less likely to snag and scratch. I would use a blingy wedding band to add some extra sparkle. I'd also stick with platinum over gold if you can swing it on budget as platinum is far less likely to be injured by cleaning and disinfecting chemicals. If she has to scrub in, she should remove her rings, but that usually involves and iodine soap which can damage gold.

BUT, this is a huge syle departure and I would want you to really talk with her about the setting and how hand's-on she is with people and fabrics (prongs can snag on fabric).

upload_2018-1-17_16-37-36.png

I agree with Salamander here. When you say hospital setting, what exactly do you mean? Nurse? Doctor? Administration? Pharm rep? If nurse or doctor, I would definitely recommend going for a simple setting with no sharp edges. The half-bezel settings posted above is beautiful. That or even a full-bezel setting would be ideal for a doctor or nurse (or anyone frequently working in hospitals), as it would protect the stone from damage while also posing a low risk of catching on gloves or clothing.

I don't want to ruin your ideas, but the setting you posted would be far from optimal for someone in the medical field. I don't think she would even be able to wear it (and then what's the point of spending all that money in the first place?)

Another thing you need to consider is the size of the diamond. Over 3 carats may actually be a burden to someone who works with their hands all day, especially if they wear gloves, as the height of the stone may cause it to catch every time they put on or take off the gloves. My girlfriend (who's in medical school) specifically requested a stone that "wasn't too big" for this reason. If you really want to spend the money, may be worth prioritizing the other 3 C's and going with a more modest-sized stone.

Check out some of the threads here and elsewhere that have been posted by women working in hospital settings. The consensus seems to be sticking with simple bezel settings with diamonds around 1.5 carat or less.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
There are no deals in diamonds...

I am going to disagree with this and say there are...bad deals. If I had a nickel for every one I heard say we have a friend, family member, blah, blah, blah, who is a jeweler and he is going to give us a deal, I would be wealthy.

Also, when looking at the diamond search feature on PS, you might note that there can be several dealers selling the same diamond for vastly different prices. There are other factors influencing the price of the diamond on each site....marketing, return policy, diamond location. So figure out what's important to you, especially if multiple sellers are listing the same diamond for sale and buy it from whomever meets your criteria.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps she likes that setting because she knows she won't wear it while at work. That is a possibility too. I can imagine it would be awkward sporting a 3 carat diamond if your patients are, for instance, uninsured or on Medicaid.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results