shape
carat
color
clarity

Traveling With Your Diamond Beauties

M

MTHealthyLiving

Do you wear your rings just as you normally would when traveling, or do you put on a temporary band?

We are going to Chicago next month, and I was advised not to wear my wedding rings.

Thoughts?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only travel with a plan 2mm platinum band. I am worried about losing something in my change of routine and, of course, theft.

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If traveling within the US, I leave my solitaire at home if there is a chance of damage or loss (i.e. an active trip where I want to be low maintenance). I typically don't worry about travel to big cities for a routine trip.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jewelry isn't huge ticket, my set is worth about 5k, it's insured, I wear it without worry. I live in NY, work in Brooklyn (not the rich parts either) and happily wear my bling daily.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We cruise maybe 2 to 3 times per year. I normally just wear my daily jewelry but if we are visiting a port where I don't feel completely safe e.g. Mexico, then I will leave my e-ring and bracelets in the safe and just wear a wedding band.
This year we are cruising to Antarctica and will need to wear gloves almost everywhere we go so I plan to leave my bracelets at home. I am also glad that my HPD Symphonie ring is set much lower than my pear is, it was tough to get gloves on with it :lol-2:

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do you wear your rings just as you normally would when traveling, or do you put on a temporary band?

We are going to Chicago next month, and I was advised not to wear my wedding rings.

Thoughts?
I remember reading a thread on here awhile ago with a similar concern. I recall the folks on that thread said they weren't as concerned about wearing their beloved jewels in bigger cities. In fact, I think one of the posters said she was from Chicago and didn't give a second thought to wearing her rings.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We went to Chicago last year and I didn't have any issue wearing my ring there, i never felt unsafe and we took the public transport everywhere

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear my jewellery on cruises, in fact I take more expensive pieces that I don’t wear at home.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I travel to Europe mostly where larger diamonds are not as common so I tend to wear my pieces with smaller stones when travelling there so not to look out of place. If I'm travelling in the U.S. it is generally on business and therefore to a larger city and I don't change pieces from what I would normally wear.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always wear my wedding set when I travel. Maybe I'd forgo it if I was going on a safari or something, but I'm never going to do that lol.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I went to Europe last year (all over Europe) and never had an issue wearing my 3ct cushion in a halo all over the place. Just be aware of your surroundings. During the more active portions of our trip I put my rings on my necklace.

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thoughts?

I visit Chicago several times a year (it is my absolute favorite city) and I have never felt unsafe. When traveling (anywhere) I always wear just my eternity band ~ I don't wear my solitaire only because I am pretty active and don't like leaving it in the hotel room.
In certain areas of Chicago it is pretty common to see women decked out in jewelry!
Enjoy your time there ~ awesome city!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in Chicago, no worries! Most women have bigger jewelry and I doubt you will go anywhere near the unsafe areas unless you are going to a Bulls game.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use travel as an excuse to wear the ring in my avatar (it only fits on my left hand!). I used to live in Chicago, and I worked in many of the housing development projects (Cabrini Green, Altgeld Gardens, others). I always wore my 1 carat oval ering without a second thought.

When traveling, I’m more worried about traveling with a sunscreeny film on my ring than anything else. :lol-2: But I don’t have large stones. I actually love the excuse to get to wear something else on my left hand! I also have some antique white gold bands that I collect from antique markets. Those are fun to stack and wear when traveling, too!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I usually wear more modest pieces when I travel. When we first married, I had a CZ fake that I would pair with a plain gold band. That way if it got lost or stolen, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I would love to bring my good stuff with me, because I feel like when we travel we are often have more occasion to dress up. However, I feel like it would be a burden and I would worry about it during the day while we are out for various activities.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy your visit to the Windy City :wavey: I hope our weather improves for you, brrrr! Aprilbaby is right, you’ll be fine wearing your rings.
We’re going to Cancun in two weeks and even staying in a lovely resort I will only wear a plain gold band. I’m the most OCD person on the planet. My rings must be clean! So, with sunscreen and chlorinated pools and sand and sweat and this and that, my babies stay home in the safe! I want to have fun and not worry about the bling. :eek2: Easy peasy. Have a wonderful trip!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll be fine if you wear it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results