shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a Very Strong fluorescence diamond

Kran

Rough_Rock
Hi again PriceScopers!

A few months ago I created a thread asking for suggestions in buying a diamond for my fiancee: (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-buy-a-high-quality-diamond.235703/)

I strongly considered buying the special Octavia cut, which I found incredibly beautiful. However, I gently found out that my girlfriend does not like the idea of a step-cut very much, for reasons apparently not related to light performance. So I am not settled strongly on a traditional round diamond.

Another update: we have now decided that we want a yellow gold engagement ring. So I am not looking for colorless diamonds anymore. I still plan on buying a diamond with a better color than usual for yellow gold, as we are both very color-sensitive (so I can't see buying a K), but D-Fs are now out of range.

At the same time, I am now completely sure that she would love a fluorescent diamond. In the other thread I was suggested to look for a Brian Gavin Blue diamond, and this is exactly what I have done. I exchanged a few emails with Emily from BGD, and she was very helpful, including helping me choose the setting and matching bands. I almost bought a small, beautiful 0.7ct I VVS2 diamond with strong fluorescence. Still, I am not completely decided yet'.

For once, I would prefer the diamond to be a little larger, around 0.9+ ct. There is no such diamond available right now at BGG with strong fluoro. The next one is a 1.2 J VS1, which is a little larger than I would like, although I am also considering that stone. Second, the more I study the properties of fluorescence, the more I wish that the fluorescence is very strong. If I like fluorescence, why would not a Very Strong fluorescence be even better? Yes, it is rare, but is not rarity part of the appeal?

I have asked Emily at BGD to search for more diamonds with Strong / Very Strong fluorescence for me. I have also emailed WhiteFlash asking for diamond swith Very Strong fluorescence. I emailed HP Diamonds and Good Old Gold as well. HP Diamonds is not willing to produce a CGI diamond with VS fluoro. There are some such diamonds at Blue Nile but they wont give me ASET images for them. I briefly considered trying to buy one of these I can find one that is not hazy/milky, and then possibly sending for a recut, but maybe that is not worth?

By the way, even though I am looking for a Very Strong fluorescence, I dont quite believe that haziness is rare in such stones. I believe Brian Gavin Blue diamonds would be safe, but not sure about the others.

I would love to hear some suggestions from you!

Kran

Rough_Rock
Thank you scarsmum! This seems like an amazing diamond, and at a very good price. Two questions (1) how did you find such a diamond? Where did you search for it? (2) Can we be sure that this diamond will not be hazy/oily in sunlight?

Kran

Rough_Rock
The diamond shows only minor inclusions (and it is graded VS2). The GIA report tells us there are "clouds not shown". Are not these hidden clouds dangerous, especially with strong fluorescence?

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I found it by running a criterion search on rarecarat.com. That’s always how I find diamonds. I’m not overly attached to JA or BN or the other known vendors, just because I know that most vendors have access to the exact same diamonds and just charge different amounts. Diamonds direct have a pretty good reputation. Ask a gemologist there to check it for those known SBF issues and also to check the visual effect of clouds.

Kran

Rough_Rock
Thanks ac117. I am confortable with up to $8000. Thanks for the suggestions, the stones are beautiful. However, all stones have "Strong" fluorescence, instead of the "Very Strong" I was looking for. I will consider them, but I would prefer if I could find a VS fluoro stone. Moreover, how can I be sure that the stones are not hazy?

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks ac117. I am confortable with up to $8000. Thanks for the suggestions, the stones are beautiful. However, all stones have "Strong" fluorescence, instead of the "Very Strong" I was looking for. I will consider them, but I would prefer if I could find a VS fluoro stone. Moreover, how can I be sure that the stones are not hazy?
You can’t be sure without a visual check although one vendor I spoke to told me their stones are not able to be imported into the US if they have milkiness or haze. I’m not sure how credible that info is.

Kran

Rough_Rock
This rarecarat.com website is amazing. Thanks for sharing it with me.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kran

Rough_Rock
What would an PS recommended appraiser be? I live outside the United States, so it would be difficult for me to visually inspect the stone and return it if necesssary. Friends of mine go to the USA often and I was planning on having one of them receive it and bring it to me. Is there someone very capable and trustworthy who could possible charge me a fee and inspect the diamond for me? How could it be possibly done?

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Most vendors provide this service. Just ask for a gemologist consult before you buy one. You can return it but it’s a bother, the vendor doesn’t want that either. Btw I don’t know where you live but you may want to have your diamond set so your friend can wear it to bring it to you. Otherwise you will have to declare it and be subject to duty etc. I know I shouldn’t really recommend that but there you go.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stones found by @ac117 and @scarsmum are both good selections with VSB Fluor.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would an PS recommended appraiser be? I live outside the United States, so it would be difficult for me to visually inspect the stone and return it if necesssary. Friends of mine go to the USA often and I was planning on having one of them receive it and bring it to me. Is there someone very capable and trustworthy who could possible charge me a fee and inspect the diamond for me? How could it be possibly done?
I may be missing people off the list so I apologise if I am, but I believe that both @denverappraiser and @oldminer are qualified appraisers.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond shows only minor inclusions (and it is graded VS2). The GIA report tells us there are "clouds not shown". Are not these hidden clouds dangerous, especially with strong fluorescence?

Even if the 'clouds not shows' were the only clarity characteristic, VS2 is high enough for me to hope that the stone could be OK.

Your choice of VSB is quite allot of fun to follow !

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian Gavin blue are already prevetted to exclude haze/oil/milk. That said, it is a VERY RARE occurrence in higher clarity stones in the near colorless range. Also the difference between strong and very strong is not something that you will ever discern in normal lighting conditions. Maybe at Halloween in a dark room lit only with black lights. And then only if you have a SBF and VSBF right next to each other. You might be limiting your choices inadvertently (and unnecessarily) by narrowing your specs so far. I'd totally go with BG blue in a VS stone down to a k. But that's me. (I have a BGD I and J (no fluoro) in earrings. They are very white.)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
one vendor I spoke to told me their stones are not able to be imported into the US if they have milkiness or haze. I’m not sure how credible that info is.
It may be that companies policy or it may be bull, but there is no law or regulation preventing them coming into the US as long as they pass Kimberly.
Having someone check it is the only way to be fairly sure, then check it yourself.
It is subjective and not everyone has the same opinion.

Kran

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the help!

I think I have found a good diamond at a great price. I have reserved it already, and I have to decide quickly whether or not to the diamond is worth buying.

The diamond is a 1.06 ct, I VVS1, VSB fluorescence.
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.06-carat-i-vvs1-yd1809959

This is a video of the diamond. I am right to consider this is very white for an I-color, and is "almost H"? And, more importantly, is it "hazy" or "oily"? I have no idea on how to evaluate this. I am hoping the very high clarity (VVS1) mitigates my risk?
http://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamonds/videos/1809959

I asked for ASET images, but they dont have. However, they gave me the Hearts and Arrows images of the diamond:

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed.jpg

They are not H&A, but it seems well-cut. Am I correct?

I put the proportions on HCA, and it turns out 1.4.

The clarity is VVS1, however, in the GIA certificate I cannot see any annotations on the clarity, and no marks in the inclusions plot.

The price tag is amazing: $4414 on bank wire. I can't find anything close under $5000, and most often $6000. What do you think?

Thank you very much.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a great option but I'm wary only bc of the old adage 'too good to be true' - ask Yadav to see if there is any milky or hazy appearance and I would also ask about the undertone of the diamond. Very difficult to know from a picture or video. Stones are discounted if they have an other than yellow undertone (brown, gray, etc.). The price is amazing though so maybe it would be worth buying and taking to an independent PS recommended appraiser to be sure of what you have!

Kran

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for suggesting that I check the undertone. I have compared two videos and it is indeed possible that this diamond has a grey undertone... what should I do?

Kran

Rough_Rock
Can someone help me evaluate the color of this stone? If it is really gray, should I leave it aside? I wanted to put it into a yellow gold ring, but if it is greyish it will look weird I believe.?

Kran

Rough_Rock
Moreover, how can I talk to one of these appraisers? (@denverappraiser and @oldminer)
Should I send a message to them? What do I write to the jewelry?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I mentioned, that is not something that could be judged simply by a picture or video. It needs to be inspected - ask Yadav to have a gemologist pull the stone and tell you what they see.

Kran

Rough_Rock
But how can I trust Yadav's gemologist? How is a gemologist different from an appraiser? Sorry for so many questions, still confusing for me.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reputable vendors wouldn't want to risk their reputation giving you inaccurate information. That being said, they do work for the vendor so in order to have better peace of mind you could pay an INDEPENDENT appraiser (not one affiliated with their company) to give you an honest, unbiased assessment of the stone.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fundamentally, an appraisal includes an opinion of value and a gemologist report does not. Most appraisals include a fair amount more information but it depends on the appraiser you're using. As mentioned above, one of the big issues is who the appraiser/gemologist is working for. 'Independent' people where the client is the seller is really about the same as a W2 employee for the seller as far as I'm concerned. That doesn't make them wrong, but it's not a second opinion if it comes from the same source as the first.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results