shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a setting for this Chrysoprase cab!!!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Folks!

So I went and picked this stone up from Doug at Be Spoke Gems today. Now I need ideas on how to set it for the most economical price!

Are cabs hard to set? I would like some diamonds, probably a halo and would like it in rose gold.

Thinking or ordering a setting from eBay but not sure how that would work for this stone.

Dimensions are 9 x 11 (5.17mm thickness).

Isn't it a beauty? I have given up on trying to find jade! Chrysoprase will do me just fine!

In sunlight:
20180117_154302.jpg

In the shade:
20180117_154314.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Burmesedaze sorry have to tag you directly and pick your brain! I just went through your entire thread to examine all your cabs.

Are the cabs actually held in by prongs?

Most of your prongs look pointy. Have you ever had a prong like this hold in a cab? Will it look weird?

s-l1600.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My blue sapphire cab ring is held by prongs that are squared off at the top, similar to your photo. Not an issue!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here. I happened to be wearing it today.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much!!!!

Are the prongs holding it down or is that rim on its base holding it in too?

Settings are so pricey!!!! Especially halos

Was this a custom made setting or a standard one?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Standard one and modified to fit my finger and stone. I think it's more the prongs holding the stone down.

I'm curious. Do the jewellers use jewellery glue for stones? I don't see any glue stains but just wondering. Maybe someone can chip in on this.

I think everything is pricey Down Under. High labour costs and taxes? Except clothes (when there's a sale) and seafood!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our food is not so bad considering it's pretty good quality! If you eat in season it can be REALLY cheap!

Our produce is a lot cheaper than eating out though! When we used to go to Singapore I always thought it didn't seem worth the effort to cook at home! But here you can cook wonderful cheap produce at home whereas the restaurants are not cheap!

I'm seriously debating taking a gamble and going the eBay route with the setting. The trouble I forsee with that is trundling down to deal with the jeweller and their comments! Oh the horror! And to have to explain what Chrysoprase is!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very vivid colour. Where is the stone from? It is hard to find chrysoprase that are both highly translucent and vivid colour.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Need more thoughts!

I like halos! I suffer from halo illness or something! Almost everything I own has a halo!

So do I get something like this:
s-l1600 (2).jpg

Or for much less money (because the cab was very inexpensive anyway) get this but in rose gold:
s-l1600 (1).jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I prefer the simpler setting for this coz the colour speaks for itself. Lol have you seen my rings? The majority have halos too.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Burmesedaze sorry have to tag you directly and pick your brain! I just went through your entire thread to examine all your cabs.

Are the cabs actually held in by prongs?

Most of your prongs look pointy. Have you ever had a prong like this hold in a cab? Will it look weird?

s-l1600.jpg

Are you OK with the stone sitting so high up above the finger like that? My pet peeve with a cab ring I had before was, it was mounted in a setting meant for a normal faceted stone so the underside of the cab sat like 7mm above my finger, and the cab had a high dome. I didn't like that! Mine had a very high dome shape too, more so than yours, so that probably made it worse. If you buy a thin/delicate semi-mount and mount the cab in it, the ring might be very top heavy with its weight concentrated way up above your finger. That might be totally fine, but if you like your stones set low then it might be annoying.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm seriously debating taking a gamble and going the eBay route with the setting. The trouble I forsee with that is trundling down to deal with the jeweller and their comments! Oh the horror! And to have to explain what Chrysoprase is!

Um don't even bother explaining what chrysoprase is to them....just say it's your late great grandma's precious jade or something. Most likely they won't know any difference??? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just stopped by to say that’s a gorgeous chrysoprase!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you OK with the stone sitting so high up above the finger like that? My pet peeve with a cab ring I had before was, it was mounted in a setting meant for a normal faceted stone so the underside of the cab sat like 7mm above my finger, and the cab had a high dome. I didn't like that! Mine had a very high dome shape too, more so than yours, so that probably made it worse. If you buy a thin/delicate semi-mount and mount the cab in it, the ring might be very top heavy with its weight concentrated way up above your finger. That might be totally fine, but if you like your stones set low then it might be annoying.

I have some faceted stones that are set quite high so that wouldn't bother me. I am more worried about them being correct with their measurements so the stone looks like it fits properly!

My other option is to go to the jewellery store and see what settings they have which won't be as cheap of an option.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Save that for a pricier stone!!!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But if you really wanted a fancy halo like that, you could make an offer and see? Coz B&M would charge many times more...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys. I know it seems random and Chrysoprase is an inexpensive stone but I really really really love the colour!

Im so stressed they'll chip it or scratch it!!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you guys think of settings from China? Went on a play date today and a friend was lecturing me on the horrors of Chinese goods.

She was like "How will you know that's even 14k rose gold"

Any thoughts on this?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The settings guys i use have their factories in China. All boils down to the process and quality.

They can make really high or really low end. Same like Cotton On clothes that are mostly Made in China and expensive silk stuff say Alannah Hill? ;-)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The settings guys i use have their factories in China. All boils down to the process and quality.

They can make really high or really low end. Same like Cotton On clothes that are mostly Made in China and expensive silk stuff say Alannah Hill? ;-)

OMG Do you like Alannah Hill? I used to LOVE Alannah Hill but it kinda really went down in quality over the years. I still have a few gorgeous classics though!

Back on topic: You make a good point! I also suspect that the settings I paid for at the B & M stores are from china as well. I was just read the riot act on Chinese goods today so suddenly feeling paranoid! And my friend is chinese!!!!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!!! So I logged into ebay to look at the settings I have saved and to have a think about what I was going to buy! One of the ebay stores that sold the ring I posted (Jewe2004) has vanished! I mean the profile is still there but all the stock listing has vanished!!!!!

I didn't buy anything yet lucky! Am kinda freaking out right now and thinking of just heading to a B&M!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OMG!!! So I logged into ebay to look at the settings I have saved and to have a think about what I was going to buy! One of the ebay stores that sold the ring I posted (Jewe2004) has vanished! I mean the profile is still there but all the stock listing has vanished!!!!!

I didn't buy anything yet lucky! Am kinda freaking out right now and thinking of just heading to a B&M!

Did they have a good track record to begin with in terms of ebay ratings?

Haha i was into Ebay like 1.5 decades back and had a few girly frilly floral pieces from AH. But i haven't bought any in YEARS.

Most of the B&M settings in Singapore come from China, though they claim Hong Kong to justify a higher pricing.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did they have a good track record to begin with in terms of ebay ratings?

Haha i was into Ebay like 1.5 decades back and had a few girly frilly floral pieces from AH. But i haven't bought any in YEARS.

Most of the B&M settings in Singapore come from China, though they claim Hong Kong to justify a higher pricing.

14 sales in last month, 100 in last 12 months
97.7 rating

I'm so shocked!

You don't know how lucky you are to have your setting chaps!

AH dresses are perfect for pretty coloured stone rings!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results