shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an umbalite garnet

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was it one of his Facebook ones? His Facebook is nuts! Certain stones I see only a few hours after he's listed them and when I message him they are gone.

I bought my Chrysoberyl within the first hour it was listed.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Was it one of his Facebook ones? His Facebook is nuts! Certain stones I see only a few hours after he's listed them and when I message him they are gone.

I bought my Chrysoberyl within the first hour it was listed.

I was also eyeing one on his Facebook site, and the one on his website has been there long time, therefore I guess it was a lurker. But now I have found an other one, a little bit more expensive, but also bigger! This time , I won’t post it here!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was also eyeing one on his Facebook site, and the one on his website has been there long time, therefore I guess it was a lurker. But now I have found an other one, a little bit more expensive, but also bigger! This time , I won’t post it here!

Good luck! Please post it after you have locked it down!!!!!

hehe I only post if it's something I want someone to buy to keep me away from it! Or I post after I've paid for whatever it is I've bought!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, please post a pic once it’s a done deal. I have fallen in love with the color of these garnets, would love to see what you chose!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Its 7.50x5.46. Clarity VVS/Clean. Origin Tanzania. Treatment - none.

Maisie - would you mind if I buy it? I'm still deciding between this and the 3.16 one. It's so hard to decide, which color/hue I would prefer. I already see, the garnet hunt is going to be a never ending hunt, with a lot of garnets!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie - would you mind if I buy it? I'm still deciding between this and the 3.16 one. It's so hard to decide, which color/hue I would prefer. I already see, the garnet hunt is going to be a never ending hunt, with a lot of garnets!

Yes buy it!!! Do you know where it’s from?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's too bad but another stone will come along and steal your heart.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
It happened! Someone has bought my favorite, the 2.9 ct. I hate lurkers, who do that. They let someone else do the leg work and than just buy it! It’s not fair! JD has offered me an other one, but I would like to have near 8 mm, and the offered one is only 7.
I’m furious!!!

Waow - it never occurred to me that people might do that.
I was thinking to summarize my sapphire search into a more concise poll and asking for opinions of which between all researched options so far; but now you gave me seconds thoughts.

It's hard enough to find just the right stone - but to see it snatched by someone who waited for your research and polling to be completed...uugh. Not nice. But I guess this is the kind of phenomenon that can't be stopped; and appeals to "niceness" will most surely not work.

The only way around it is to shop at insane price levels - speaking of the undemocratic powers of exclusivity (on another thread) :mrgreen2:.
Then you can incapacitate most lurkers. :)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waow - it never occurred to me that people might do that.
I was thinking to summarize my sapphire search into a more concise poll and asking for opinions of which between all researched options so far; but now you gave me seconds thoughts.

It's hard enough to find just the right stone - but to see it snatched by someone who waited for your research and polling to be completed...uugh. Not nice. But I guess this is the kind of phenomenon that can't be stopped; and appeals to "niceness" will most surely not work.

The only way around it is to shop at insane price levels.
Then you can incapacitate most lurkers. :) :mrgreen2:

Once you narrow things down just put them on HOLD before asking us for opinions and posting links to them. That way you are safe.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Once you narrow things down just put them on HOLD before asking us for opinions and posting links to them. That way you are safe.

Is it common practice among vendors to agree to put stones "on hold"?

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chatoyancy,

Any chance you might have a picture of your JD umbalite - or umbalite jewelry?
I am asking - just in case it would not be too much trouble for you to post a picture for us.
Certainly! I would have done it. I just didn’t want to hijack the thread. 8E23DF5B-CC67-4107-A253-C76BA19577C9.jpeg I just got them set into sterling silver stud earrings. The garnets are 1.67 carats each. They are lighter than this under this light IRL, but I just have an iPhone camera. Under most other lighting, they look like this.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Certainly! I would have done it. I just didn’t want to hijack the thread. 8E23DF5B-CC67-4107-A253-C76BA19577C9.jpeg I just got them set into sterling silver stud earrings. The garnets are 1.67 carats each. They are lighter than this under this light IRL, but I just have an iPhone camera. Under most other lighting, they look like this.

They are very pretty! I hope mind won't be darker due to larger size.
Are they sparkly? How do you find Jeff's cut?

I also hope dkata finds another pretty garnet soon!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are very pretty! I hope mind won't be darker due to larger size.
Are they sparkly? How do you find Jeff's cut?

I also hope dkata finds another pretty garnet soon!

Thank you! Jeff’s cut is excellent. It’s hidden in the stud setting unfortunately. Euro wire earrings hurt my ears, so I had to go with studs. They are honkers (3.32 ct. tw). I wouldn’t go any bigger personally. When the light hits the garnets just right, they are insanely sparkly (think demantoid or clean spessartite). I don’t think they are as dark as normal rhodolite. They are shifty though and vary from pink to magenta to brownish pink depending on the light.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Jeff’s cut is excellent. It’s hidden in the stud setting unfortunately. Euro wire earrings hurt my ears, so I had to go with studs. They are honkers (3.32 ct. tw). I wouldn’t go any bigger personally. When the light hits the garnets just right, they are insanely sparkly (think demantoid or clean spessartite). I don’t think they are as dark as normal rhodolite. They are shifty though and vary from pink to magenta to brownish pink depending on the light.

I had to go with a larger stone due to my pre-existing setting. My jeweler said that colored stones get darker as they get larger; but I am not sure whether that's because you are more likely to see larger stones in lower-end material so that quality can offset some of the price that a large stone would command if made of high-end rough.

Or is it that a larger stone would show up darker than a smaller stone a anyway - even if both are cut from the same rough? I don't' exactly see why this would be the case? You would think that more space/facets would allow for more ight return and color visibility than a tiny thing.

We shall see when mine gets here...but it's a long time and I will get fidgety before long. :)

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had to go with a larger stone due to my pre-existing setting. My jeweler said that colored stones get darker as they get larger; but I am not sure whether that's because you are more likely to see larger stones in lower-end material so that quality can offset some of the price that a large stone would command if made of high-end rough.

Or is it that a larger stone would show up darker than a smaller stone a anyway - even if both are cut from the same rough? I don't' exactly see why this would be the case? You would think that more space/facets would allow for more ight return and color visibility than a tiny thing.

We shall see when mine gets here...but it's a long time and I will get fidgety before long. :)
I’ve heard that chrome diopside gets darker in larger sizes, but I haven’t heard that about any other stones. I think for a ring or pendant stone larger is fine. I just wouldn’t have gone larger on my pair since I used them for stud earrings. Post pics when yours gets here!

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
I’ve heard that chrome diopside gets darker in larger sizes, but I haven’t heard that about any other stones. I think for a ring or pendant stone larger is fine. I just wouldn’t have gone larger on my pair since I used them for stud earrings. Post pics when yours gets here!

Oh, I agree about studs. T
There's something not quite right about studs with very large sparkly gemstones.
For such large stud earrings, I think a pearl looks better.

jewelsforalltosee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just missed delivery of my garnet today and now have to wait until Tuesday. Gah! :wall:

@chatoyancy those are lovely studs!

I wonder if larger stones tend to be darker because the light has farther to go to reflect back out to the eye. And maybe the darker the color, the less light reflected? Interesting to thing about.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just missed delivery of my garnet today and now have to wait until Tuesday. Gah! :wall:

I wonder if larger stones tend to be darker because the light has farther to go to reflect back out to the eye. And maybe the darker the color, the less light reflected? Interesting to thing about.
Sorry you missed your garnet!
Thank you.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock

I think it's spot on with the color and light! With gems like with eyes, I think.
I used to think about this theory when I was younger and trying to figure out why light eyes (blue, green, hazel) looked so sparkly, especially with make-up :love:...and mine never reflected any light and never sparkled. :nono: Opaque as the night!
Only very dark eye-liner (deepest charcoal black) can make them look made-up. :lol:

But I am not sure about the size explanation.
Unless the light traveling theory holds, you would think a small stone of dark rough would look even darker than a larger stone of the same dark rough. A cutter's view would be interesting.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry!! :(2

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you got your garnet today?

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Today I have placed my order for a 3.16 ct garnet from Jeff’s website. I have asked him prior for a comparison video with the other stone, Maisie has suggested. Here is the video:

The stone, which I ordered is on the left side. I really like the color of the done on the left side better, this is just what I’m looking for. It’s 8 mm, but in a cushiony shaped cut. I don’t know, how I would like to set it, I hope it will fit a stock setting.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY nice @dkata color and size. Congrats!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow that is gorgeous dkata! Such a rich color and great shape and size, I love it!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s beautiful!! I can’t wait to see it set! Great choice.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My garnet came today. This is a beautiful stone, but without a little bit of sunshine it’s hard to photograph. I’ve tried to do my best:
033462D8-70C5-49A7-A14D-C1724816E49C.jpeg 298B6B02-5524-4BE4-A1EA-5E7977B5C734.jpeg F7FC405D-2744-41CF-8595-52F9C8D45A04.jpeg AAEEC815-8EE6-4CAF-A95C-2079F0C09AB4.jpeg

I really see all kind of pinks, reds, even a little bit of orange. I love this stone, and can’t wait for a sunny day!

jewelsforalltosee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@dkata sorry I haven't been back for an update! Your garnet is lovely! And it makes me feel more sure about mine, it was darker than I expected but as you said in the sunlight it is gorgeous! Dark stones are so hard to photograph. I did decide to keep it :P2
with flash (fingerprint is making it look hazy, it is clear):
garnet1.jpg
fluorescent light:
garnet3.jpg

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@dkata sorry I haven't been back for an update! Your garnet is lovely! And it makes me feel more sure about mine, it was darker than I expected but as you said in the sunlight it is gorgeous! Dark stones are so hard to photograph. I did decide to keep it :P2
with flash (fingerprint is making it look hazy, it is clear):
garnet1.jpg
fluorescent light:
garnet3.jpg

@jewelsforalltosee - I'm happy, you love your garnet. I love mine too! And I'm sure, other's here could also confirm, how hard is to photograph a dark stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results