shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice/insight about adjusting to “warm” stone?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like all the wonderful people above don't see a lot of color but in one pix. I love your ring.. it's beautiful.. but I can say, if color bothers you, you may want to change the stone at some time.. people can love stones with yellow hints.. but if it continually bothers you, then it would be upgrade time. It looks perfect to me and congratulations!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the color bothers you, consider trading the diamond in for one that is colorless. The price differential is sizeable, so know that going in. I can see tint in your H, but it is not what I would call warm. Also, true color is hard to photograph and diamonds tend to take on the colors of their surroundings.

It's all down to personal preference. We can comment on the photos all day long, but you're the one who needs to be satisfied.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to tell you to love it, but if it bothers you now, it's likely it always will. If you can change it, I'd do that....

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DAD5A737-805A-46DA-9B9B-8FA88463424D.jpeg 6D6E34D6-F2CC-42F6-B08A-2807AC3FCD8F.jpeg

My F colored oval from the other night, and this morning...

I think your ring looks gorgeous on your hand! Sometimes we can look past some characteristics, and sometimes we can’t... we all get that here! :twirl:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ongoing hijack
I love my coat from Patagonia. It is an attractive semi fitted raincoat with a down liner and a removable hood. It can go from looking formal to casual and is good for all kinds of weather. It was expensive, to me, but has turned out to be the best coat ever for all types of weather. (And the lining can be worn alone as a down coat.)
it’s called Patagonia Tres 3 in 1.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My very first diamond was an H ideal cut diamond, and honestly the tint bothered me. As a result, when I've upgraded I made sure to stick with G or above. Now that I have an "I" and it doesn't bother me ONE BIT, I kind of think that part of the reason the H bothered me is because I was looking for it to. I don't know if that makes sense, but I think I probably saw the H in some yellow or bad lighting and then could never unsee what I thought was a flaw.

Is it possible that the instagram photo just sort of tainted how you look at your ring? Because that's the only photo where I see any hint of color. Your ring looks BEAUTIFUL to me, so white and just perfect.

If it truly bothers you, you could switch out melee, but since it's not a halo, I'm not sure that will really help. My suggestion would be to try to change your perception. Look at it outside, look at it in a room with bright lighting, look at it when you're happy and try to associate happiness/your fiancee with the beautiful diamond you have.

If that all fails, there are always upgrades or yellow gold settings, but something tells me you won't need it :)

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
I know my comment isn't going to be so helpful but as you can see, opinions here are all over the place. Tint and color, living with something or not, etc...all these things are so subjective and personal.

I'm with @whitewave and others who love some color in a diamond...but again, I love antique and old old old diamonds, ie; OEC, antique cushions, mine cuts, which generally have color but seem to show it less-so (than a modern oval).

FWIW, I absolutely love your diamond and I love the setting! I think it looks great on your hand. I really do think you have a beautiful lovely oval. If you can focus on the special nature of the ring, the sentimentality and all, that might make it work. Some folks always want bigger, better, brighter, blingier, whiter, more, more, more... some folks are never satisfied with what they have in the present or the overall big picture.

And with that said, I don't have to tell you (if you've read this forum at all) that nearly ALL women here (and elsewhere) change their initial engagement ring UP at some point in time...new setting, different stone, lower setting (for the kiddies), higher setting, larger stone, whiter stone, newer, older, trends come in (halos), trends fall out...

Give it some thought. If you're really that unhappy and you can deal with a return, or a $$$$ loss (if no return...happened to me), a new search, a new diamond, a new setting, etc...then go for it.

If the thought of doing it all again makes your stomach turn ('cause I imagine you have other things to focus on with an upcoming wedding) then hold off. A new stone or setting will give you something to look forward to in a few years!

I love the diamond...it's pretty. Congratulations!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to you and your DF on your engagement! Your ring (and stone) is absolutely beautiful! I think your research paid off! You’ve been given a lot of excellent tips and advice here. Just keep one thing in mind if you decide to change your stone. It can be a very slippery slope...but you must decide what is important to you. Wishing you happiness with whatever you decide.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An easy test is to swap out any yellow white light bulbs in your home for blue white ones and see how your ring looks to you in the new lighting. This will help rule out if it's the stone or the indoor lighting reflecting in the stone.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring. My wife's MRB looks significantly more yellow than the melees in certain lighting, because melees usually reflect back whiter, and the centre stone being larger, will have significantly different effects.

If you are so unhappy that you go ahead and consider changing the diamond, be sure that this is due the body colour of the diamond and not because of a lighting phenomenon that happens to all diamonds, particularly ovals or you may spend a lot of money on higher colours only to end up where you started.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is stunning. Inside with warm coloured lighting, of course your diamond will look more “warm”, it can only reflect and react with the lighting source provided. The lighting in jewelery shops is the complete opposite. They spend thousands of dollars on special lighting to make diamonds look as white and sparkly as possible. That isn’t what anyone has at home! And the reason why melee might look whiter is the effect of the closer proximity of the white metal. It is likewise reflecting and helps little melee look whiter.
And if you turn the lights out at night, your diamond will look black :lol::lol::lol:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First congratulations on your engagement.

Others have already commented on how your surroundings or the light source can impact your perception of body color in a diamond. Historically, the standard lighting for color grading was “northern daylight”, such as that through North facing windows. Do you have North facing windows in your home? If so, stand by that window on an overcast day and look at your diamond in natural light to judge its body color.

Thirty plus years ago, I had a 2.05 D-VS2 oval (later traded in locally in SF for a 3.01 F-SI1 pear). I am very color sensitive as well. But let me tell you this, based on your photos, your oval is more beautiful than mine was, and the cut is a lot better (mine was on the deep side and faced up more like a 1.75 ct). I think that you can try to enjoy the gorgeous ring you have, enjoy your wedding planning, and maybe 5 years down the road upgrade to a D color if it still bothers you. You may find that you love the ring as is.

I am not sugar coating this, you really do have a gorgeous ring that looks great on your hand.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your engagement! Your ring is lovely.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You asked for advice on adjusting to a warm colored stone. Have you had other pieces of jewelry before with lower color? I went from an icy white 2.21 ct RB D color to a 3.39 ct OEC K color. The adjustment was no problem: I was thrilled that I was getting the OEC that I had coveted for several years AND that it was much larger than my RB stone. The adjustment has been no issue for me. She looks white in indirect lighting. I'm always checking her in different lighting to see what color surprise she has for me.

I barely see any tint in the diamond, and you can rest assured that your skin tone makes it look white.

My .02.

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I see very little colour in the diamond and think your ring is lovely. Sorry that's not much help but I'm sure others will offer suggestions.

Thank you Jacquiemalta! After wearing it for a bit as some lovely people suggested, I have come to truly love it. I hardly notice any warmth now and when I do, I admire it more than anything!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! First, confratulations!

I think H is warm and I do see that your stone looks yellower compared to your smaller stones. To me, it’s not a good match and I would either get a new oval or put your oval in a simple band.

The bigger problem I see is in the future, your other diamond pieces will be whiter and it will even highlight your H stone further. For example, if you want an eternity wedding band or any band with diamonds, many are F-G and against your H, you H will look yellow again.

For me, H is fine but I would put the diamond in a simple band without the side stones. The side stones in my view is what is taking away from your diamond and making it look more yellow as now there is a side by side comparison of color.

And by the way, I disagree with the looking at the ring in different lighting. The problem is not the lighting, the problem is the side stones that make your eyes see the yellow. With just the diamond alone, all you see is sparkle.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Matthews1127 the only time I see any tint is in 1 of the photos, and that could be picking up colour from the surroundings.

You’ve only had the ring a couple of days, do you think you’re ‘looking’ for tint because of the photo you saw before you got it?

Honestly, I see a beautiful, white sparkly ring.

Hi Austina, thank you so much for taking the time to comment - I think that’s exactly what happened! I’m happy to say now that I do not detect tint, and when I (sometimes) do, it doesn’t bother me. I love my ring!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Jacquiemalta! After wearing it for a bit as some lovely people suggested, I have come to truly love it. I hardly notice any warmth now and when I do, I admire it more than anything!

Yay! So happy you love it now. It is a gorgeous ring. :love:

I have just come to read this thread and as I was reading it this morning I was hoping you might realize you love it. If you were still feeling the same way as you originally did when you first posted I was going to advise you to change it if you could because if the tint was still bothering you now that probably wouldn't change. But since you are happy with your gorgeous ring and love it now so happy you are happy. Enjoy your gorgeous ER :love:and your darling husband to be. Congratulations.:appl:

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
Like you, I am color sensitive and I see a very slight tint, although it still looks white to me. I am guessing once set in a ring it brings out a different flavor or somehow makes the color more apparent to you in real life.

Please don't beat yourself up for a "wrong" decision - the truth is a lot of times we don't quite know what our tolerance levels are for color in a diamond (which we only know over time after more diamond purchases!), or how a diamond would look in a setting until after it has happened. I made both those costly mistakes (misjudging my color tolerance, switching to a setting that made my center stone look worse), and there are a ton of threads on PS where others have had similar experiences before!

I do think it looks really lovely. But if it continues to bug you, would you and the fiance consider setting it in a simple rose gold shank with platinum prongs setting? I know there are discussions on here about metals, and how a colored metal (rose gold, or yellow) with a white basket and prongs helps make the center stone whiter due to the contrast. If you guys are open to it that could be an option.

Hi Alexiszoe! Thank you for having taking the time to read my thread! Your comment really helped me at the time - you are and were completely right, we just don’t know until it’s sometimes too late! Can’t beat ourselves up over it. Luckily I am happy to report that I am now 100% in love with my ring. Wearing it has really helped me adjust and now I detect little to no warmth most days. If I ever do, it honestly doesn’t bother me. Just stopping back in to provide an update and say thank you!

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
Yayyy another oval lover! I also bought my oval last week and i am head over heels in love! I saw the photos but i dont think the color is that bad! Honestly my oval is an I color and that is a huge faux pas in the oval world! But it makes me happy ;)2. Enjoy it! Please dont look for imperfections! No diamond is 100% perfect! If you are anything like me, i would obsess over the color, return it for a D, then obsess over the clarity, return it for a vvs1 or IF, then obsess over the carat because at that point and with my budget, I could probably afford a 0.3 carat with those high end specs when I started out with a 1.81 carat! Then i would obsess over the new 0.3 carat stone, cry, and want the original 1.81 stone back but by that time it would have been sold lol. Its so easy to find imperfections in diamonds because they are nature made. Just like a mom who loves her child that is not 100 percent perfect, you will love your diamond ring. Hope this helps. Now, off to exchange my I color oval for a D color oval. Just kidding.

Oh my goodness BlingBlingLova, this reply was so on the nose!!! Are you me??? Haha. You were happily, 100% right! I love my ring now. It took a bit of time to get use to it and I honestly believe - in looking back - it was me obsessing about “getting it right.” But I totally did. Both ring and absolutely partner wise. :mrgreen2:

Thank you so much for sharing your story and you also keep enjoying your oval! I’m sure it’s perfect as is!!!

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
I'm colour sensitive and although noticeable, I think it still looks lovely! There's something

Colour is very much an artificial construct to make us believe that white is better (yet we then set a price for fancy colour diamonds, particularly pink). I agree with BlingBlingLova - no diamond is 100% perfect. That is a beautiful stone in a stunning setting. Wear it a week or two and you'll find small little details you look at no longer bother you. The buyer's remorse will pass. That's a stunning ring.

Give it some time before you do anything. We did that with an expensive coat - oh, but it's too tight around the shoulders, what about that one, I spent this much... should I have bought the other one. Now it gets lots of wear! It wasn't too tight and fits fashionably well. And That would be my advice.

tanalasta, I have to tell you my fiancé loved your comment when I read it out to him. I loved it too! You were completely right... I have been wearing my ring every day since I got it, it has gone to New Orleans with me and helped me ring in another year of life and I absolutely love it. I can still - occasionally - detect some warmth but I admire it more than anything. It’s absolutely “perfect” and I wouldn’t change a thing!

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and also sharing your coat story! It definitely was something I thought about as I was adjusting to my ring — “think of tanalasta‘s coat!!!”

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful and faces up very white! But yours is the only opinion that matters!

Thank you for commenting unsettled! I can happily say that I have come to agree with you - I adore my ring now! I think we just needed time to get used to each other. =)2

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just one thing to add here - if, down the road, it still bothers you, add a halo. That will tie the head in with the shank, give you extra finger coverage and allow you to keep your original diamond. A slight (as opposed to large) difference in color between the center stone and the halo actually makes the center stone look like it has a depth to its color, rather than just looking 'tinted'. Having a G colored halo on an I colored stone is nothing like, for example, a G colored halo on an M colored stone; you don't get a contrast as such. I put a G colored halo on my I colored pear, and it looks smashing, and made the center stone look larger, obviously, but also gave it a mesmerizing 'watery' appearance, which I love.

Something to keep in mind.

20170408_152012_resized copy.jpg

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
I think colour is a very personal choice what one person is O.K with another is not. That is the problem here, if you are not happy with the ring then you will either have to grow to like it or you might indeed never really be happy with the colour. Ovals and pears as cuts tend to show more tint than some of the other cuts that hide or mask colour better. A lot of jewellers cannot find well cut melee in lower colours so that might have been another reason melee a higher colour got used in the ring setting, or indeed it could just be that rounds disguise colour a lot better than ovals do.

Hi arkieb1! In my case, I think it a mixture of being unfamiliar with oval cuts (and probably diamonds in general; clearly I need more experience! :lol-2:) so I was unaware of how the warmth or color in the stone would manifest itself, especially when I saw it under different light conditions and it appeared “colorless”. I have an H cut .32 size diamond that faces up bright white and figured it would be similar. So that tiny bit of warmth was devastating at the time! Also combined with not realizing that the melee would be “brighter” even if it was H color as well. My takeaway is that rounds hide color better and melee - pretty much regardless of color - will always sparkle differently and thus “brighter”.

All that to say, I love my ring!!! I won’t lie and say it faces it up with no warmth ever, it does, but it’s moreso that I have come to appreciate it. It (happily!) does not bother me in the slightest now.

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Matthews1127... the IG pic shows a little warmth, but it could just be the lighting. Ovals are tough, and it looks like you chose a nice one! The ring is beautiful and looks lovely on your finger. All that said, if it truly bothers you, can you have your jeweler start the search for another oval in a G or above? Does he/she offer an upgrade/exchange policy? Are you in the return window?
Also, I don't know if this is an option, but @Rhino has created the "Opulance" ovals from his August Vintage line that have AMAZING light performance... it's in the early stages, so there aren't just a ton of them cut already to my knowledge, but you may want to check them out! TBH, I wouldn't mind having an H/I color in one of those bc their light performance acts a lot like rounds!

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/opulence/carat-weight-range_1-50-1-69ct

Hi msop04! Thank you for taking the time to comment and to share your thoughts! After some time wearing her, I have adjusted to her “warmth” and we are getting along fantastically! Next time I’m in the market for an oval (or any diamond really) I will definitely check out August Vintage. When we were starting to look, the Opulance cut was just in the beginning stages so we didn’t have an opportunity there. All’s well that ends well!

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
Most home lighting is very warm at 2700k. Most retailers use more neutral or cooler lighting, often fluorescent light. Daylighting is even cooler at 5000~10000k, especially under overcast or blue sky.

I think your fiance nailed it.

Thank you flyingpig! He felt very proud of himself when I read him your comment! I do believe our lighting had a large part to do with it, plus my fear about “getting it perfect.” That being said, I love my ring! I think all I needed was a bit of time to get adjusted and to stop obsessing!

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
I think it looks very pretty...but OK, enough about me. Did you happen to use a vendor with a good return policy? A lot of Pricescope vendors have 30
day returns if you're not happy for some reason. I realize that you may be out of that since you had a setting made.

Thank you for taking the time to comment tyty333! I did happen to be out of the return policy unfortunately but it ended up being for the best! I love my ring and my diamond - I just was obsessing and stressing. It’s lovely and I am lucky to have it!

boomcast

Rough_Rock
Premium
It doesn’t look warm to me. Maybe you’re looking for icy white, which is fine. I agree with @arkieb1 over time, you may or may not be happy with it. I don’t think you should force yourself to love it and be ok with it if you aren’t. You could try a different setting or sell it or upgrade it at a future date. I understand your fiance’s comments about not wanting to change it but you’re the one wearing it, not him. For me, the biggest struggle is trying to tell myself on a daily basis to be ok with something when I’m not. Good luck!

Thank you LLJsmom! I am, as well, very much that individual who - once I decide I am not okay with something - is truly not okay with it. In this case, I am happy to report I have come to love my ring! The warmth I saw in the beginning has just become one of its “birthmarks” and doesn’t bother me in the slightest now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results