clearfading

Shiny_Rock
So I am going for this
ringidea2.jpg
with this kind of head
ringidea4 copy.jpg

Not this kind of head which is just sticking up

ringidea5.jpg
And got some initial CADs today. Do you have any suggestions or think this is pretty spot on?
cad.jpg
cad2.jpg
cad3.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks right, to my eyes, based upon the graphics.
Very beautiful.... :mrgreen2:

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Do you think the 8 prongs are needed to pull off the style or would 6 prong work just as well? Which 2 prongs would you get rid of?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two questions come to mind...the side view has a very solid looking shoulder. I would personally rather a shoulder that had some space underneath both to allow for better cleaning and avoid it looking like a wall of metal. But, its got to match your personal aesthetic. See below circled in red.

Also, are you ok with a wedding band not fitting flush at all? The gallery bottom looks pretty wide.

upload_2018-1-15_20-14-58.png

(ring by CVB Inspired)

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-15_20-14-18.png
    upload_2018-1-15_20-14-18.png
    413.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queen Elizabeth. I get it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prefer the 8 prong look. To my eyes, it emphasizes the roundness of the center stone. With this look, the sides will blend a little with the center stone, so at those points, the center stone won't be as emphasized. Not sure if I am articulating it clearly. Totally ok if that is the look you are going for. In @rockysalamander 's pic, the arms are angled down more sharply from the center stone, which reduces the blending when you look at it from the top down. It's just a different look. No right or wrong.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prefer the 8 prong look. To my eyes, it emphasizes the roundness of the center stone. With this look, the sides will blend a little with the center stone, so at those points, the center stone won't be as emphasized. Not sure if I am articulating it clearly. Totally ok if that is the look you are going for. In @rockysalamander 's pic, the arms are angled down more sharply from the center stone, which reduces the blending when you look at it from the top down. It's just a different look. No right or wrong.

I probably explained poorly. I didn't mean to comment on the angle of the shoulder (i.e., how high/low the cathedral). I meant to suggest that the OP consider piercing the shoulder. So, I would personally want the material within the red outline removed akin to the CVB to lighten up the side view and making cleaning easier.

upload_2018-1-15_21-13-59.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably explained poorly. I didn't mean to comment on the angle of the shoulder (i.e., how high/low the cathedral). I meant to suggest that the OP consider piercing the shoulder. So, I would personally want the material within the red outline removed akin to the CVB to lighten up the side view and making cleaning easier.

upload_2018-1-15_21-13-59.png

Yeah I totally know what you mean. It wasn’t your intent but your pic illustrated my point so well so I pointed it out using your pic.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
28A49B5A-1087-45B2-9997-075EC59F7BC0.jpeg I’d put a gap in the shoulders and a circle like this ring to give it that antique feel while still feeling light.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that's going to be nice! I also like the 8 prongs, and they kind of fit with the shoulders. So there would have to be some redesign to do 6.

I'd also have the openings in the shoulder like rockysalamander said.

And I'd raise the stone about a mm. The culet would practically be sitting on your finger as it is now. I'd want the culet maybe right at the top of the bottom piece of the head.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the helpful input. He said the diamond culet is setting .5mm off the finger. I asked for it to be low set. Would you still raise it another mm as suggested?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not make the diamond sit any higher

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not make the diamond sit any higher
I would actually lower the diamond to the greatest extent possible. I can't stand high settings. Totally personal.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others...loving the 8 prongs and add space under sides of shank for a lighter more antique look (good suggestion RS).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE 8 prong for all the above stated reasons and agree with the recommendations about setting it as low as possible and have openings in the shoulders (@rockysalamander's rec).
It is going to be gorgeous!:love:

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Dilemma: he cannot create the airline without raising the diamond another 1.2mm. The shoulders weren't set up high enough to support this. The diamond would then be 1.7mm off the finger. I don't like high settings either. It looks like I cant have both the airline and the diamond very low set. Would you put engraving there instead to break up the metal or sacrifice and raise the diamond? I asked for a cad to reflect the higher diamond and airline.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
He said "still very low profile at 6.5mm off the finger. Again keep in mind the scale of the ring the lower airline support is only 1mm thick"
icm_fullxfull.148956699_n2vy085q3pcw0o8okc8o.jpg icm_fullxfull.144745282_8qnmt05un3c4ocsc4wkw.jpg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the new one. It's still very low and the openings in the shoulder look more delicate.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think that's still a very low profile and I like the openings on the shoulders.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results