shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a limit with how many times you can resize a plain solitaire ring?

Kazamaki

Rough_Rock
The ring I buy might need resizing (since it’s hard to guarantee I’ll get it right first time), but I’m just wondering if there’s a limit to how many times you can resize a plain classic solitaire ring?

Obviously over 50 years, a finger size can change quite a bit. So can anyone help me understand how you maintain the ring over a long period of time?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert in this area but I think its dependent on how thick/thin your shank is at the bottom. When a shank has to be upsized and there is
not enough metal they add more I believe.

So, I dont think in general people worry about it (because its not usually a problem). Also if the setting is too big you can use bumps of metal to make
it smaller instead of cutting through the shank.

Like I said, not an expert so take all the above with a gain of salt...hopefully someone with metal experience will chime in.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Kazamaki,

In an ideal scenario, you would get your finger sized and the ring would fit correctly the first time.

Every time a ring is re-sized it has to sawed apart and metal either added or removed and the ring re-polished unless it's something that can be slightly stretched bigger . The ring’s shank will lose a tiny bit of metal each time it’s re-sized. The amount of metal loss depends on how aggressive the jeweler in cleaning the ring and also the type of metal it is. The thickness change will start becoming visible though and over time it came become pretty thin and the ring might need a re-shanking at that point.

Good luck

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VC gave a great answer! One additional thing I'd note is that a plain solitaire with a simple band that needs a major resizing, can have the shank replaced also. This is often necessary for gold rings after half a life of wearing. Rings from the 1980s with thick heavy metal can tolerate multiple resizing better than the present 'in' fashion of very thin rings.

A women's finger will likely change many times over a lifetime (e.g., weight loss/gain, pregnancy can cause temporary or permanent changes, aging can narrow the base of the finger and/or make the knuckle bigger, disease processes causing swelling, etc.). However, over the life of a ring, the wearer may very well want to change the setting and/or upgrade the stone. So, I would not worry too much now other than avoiding setting that are too thin.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is really hard to say.
It depends on so many factors.
The more they are worked they tend to get brittle as well as thinned out.
Eventually that becomes a problem.

Kazamaki

Rough_Rock
What do you define as too thin?

What I’m thinking of is. 2.1mm wise solitaire.

It’s almost impossible to guarantee the fit without getting my gf to come to the store and get measured...but that’s not a surprise engagement. I also didn’t want to use a cheap ring for the proposal and then go through selecting a “proper ring”. Call me strange but I like the idea of the guy thinking hard and picking a ring that he feels she will love.

Hmm ok, so any ideas how I could find her engagement finger size? (I’ve asked a friend and she didn’t know and also my gf doesn’t wear rings).

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.1 is fine for a solid metal band! Does she have a sister or best friend you can ask about size? Any rings in her jewelry box you can have measured? Does she wear fitted gloves in winter, they will have a size you can use to estimate.

Kazamaki

Rough_Rock
I asked her best friend and she wasn’t sure. She guessed 16mm. People in store have guessed L size based on photos, height, dress size etc.

She has one ring, which is nothing special and off the shelf. That fit my pinky finger and in stores I found out that my pinky finger size was L. So that’s the rough estimated size that I’m currently at.

Good idea about the fitted gloves but unfortunately she doesn’t have this. Someone else suggested getting a piece of string and making a tie around her finger in her sleep but I can’t see that ending well to be honest

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can depend on the setting. My original engagement ring couldn’t be sized up as much as I needed as the diamonds were set flush against each other. So, I had to go for a reset and took the opportunity for a new design too. Very happy.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I asked her best friend and she wasn’t sure. She guessed 16mm. People in store have guessed L size based on photos, height, dress size etc.

She has one ring, which is nothing special and off the shelf. That fit my pinky finger and in stores I found out that my pinky finger size was L. So that’s the rough estimated size that I’m currently at.

Good idea about the fitted gloves but unfortunately she doesn’t have this. Someone else suggested getting a piece of string and making a tie around her finger in her sleep but I can’t see that ending well to be honest

My jeweler is able to guess ring sizes quite accurately with a picture of her hand, maybe speak to your jeweler after you get a picture of her hand flat with the fingers splayed out? (Maybe while sleeping?) Since you know the exact size of the L ring, the jeweler should be able to convert it to numbers.

Also don’t worry about resizing, whichever size you pick with the help of your jeweler, you can just resize it after the engagement since it’s a simple solitaire setting.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
I'd ask her mom for her ring size. She'd know more than a best friend would especially if she was gifted jewelry a lot by her parents. Even if they didn't buy jewelry for her, moms just know these things;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results