shape
carat
color
clarity

Greatest wedding advice ever! Discuss

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha Ha...so true! I've seen that scenario play out several times...its a lose, lose situation for the guys.:lol:

Ive been married twice. The first time I planned the wedding on my own (I didnt really mind not having input).
The second time I told my future DH (his first marriage) that if he wanted to have a wedding then he would have to
do the planning...otherwise we elope. He chose to elope. I dont think he minded not having a wedding...his guy
friends all told him how lucky he was.:eek2:

I can see my oldest son when he goes to get married not wanting to be bothered about it. Basically just tell him where/when
to show up.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha... sooooo true, especially for younger people (and first marriages). My experience has been that the older you get the less you care about that stuff (or, at least, it doesn’t stress you out as much).

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
:lol-2: Wow, either he got married last week or his wedding planning was truly traumatic.

Awesome response, though. And so true.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol. I wanted to elope. DH wanted the wedding. It was very low key and easy and cheap.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't waste your money on a fancy wedding. No matter how lavish it is the fun will only last for a day.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our wedding (first for both of us) cost $5,000 including our wedding bands. Actually my dress was $100 of that bought off EBay :D

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't waste your money on a fancy wedding. No matter how lavish it is the fun will only last for a day.

And how much are you donating to DD's weddings when they get married??? And dont tell me nothing...I bet you will be going all out!:cheeky:

(did one get married already???)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And how much are you donating to DD's weddings when they get married??? And dont tell me nothing...I bet you will be going all out!:cheeky:

(did one get married already???)
We gave DD#1 $6K cash. Her wedding banquet cost like $17K for over 300 guest.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did he say? The video isn't working for me :( :(

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe one of these links will work for you.
Hope so! He tells it like it is. :lol-2:

These links take you to a 3-minute video, which I think may be the full version.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/11/22/mike-leach-wedding-advice-video
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/was...-wedding-planning-advice-rant-hilarious-video
Thank you!
That was hilarious, but I'm happy to say it wasn't the same for us LOL. There were a few things that my husband cared very much about, and a few things he didnt really care about, but it was definitely a joint venture!

That said, I would probably elope in the future. We spent about $500 pp (65 guests) and I don't really know if it was worth it o_O

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We gave DD#1 $6K cash. Her wedding banquet cost like $17K for over 300 guest.

Well, I have to say you got off pretty lucky DF! Honestly, I agree with you...its a lot of money for one day.:think:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I planned two weddings for my daughter at about 25K each. The second one was supposed to be split with her in-laws who bailed and didn't pay their share. Son-in-law wanted to get married in Hawaii. I was happy to do it, but I would have done super simple if I knew we were footing the whole bill. The in laws paid for the photographer mostly so they could get extra pics of their other kids. Our daughter married the son of friends that we had for 25 years so the whole thing was a bit of a shock to us.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope my daughters elope. OTOH, I want to see the actual marriage bit. Both will have to finance their own weddings, which is what we did too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this guy. :lol:

I'd rather have my skin peeled off than go to a wedding.
I'd rather stab my eyes with a red hot icepick than be IN a wedding party.

I can't imagine why a single person on the planet wants anything to do with all that hoopla.
I just don't get it.
All that money could have gone to a worth charity, or to something real like FCDs. :bigsmile:

People must vary or something. :confused2:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I planned two weddings for my daughter at about 25K each. The second one was supposed to be split with her in-laws who bailed and didn't pay their share. Son-in-law wanted to get married in Hawaii. I was happy to do it, but I would have done super simple if I knew we were footing the whole bill. The in laws paid for the photographer mostly so they could get extra pics of their other kids. Our daughter married the son of friends that we had for 25 years so the whole thing was a bit of a shock to us.

That is so wrong. :nono:
Misunderstandings, poor communication, etc., happen, but its not right that you got stuck with the full bill when you had agreed to pay half.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I planned two weddings for my daughter at about 25K each. The second one was supposed to be split with her in-laws who bailed and didn't pay their share. wanted to get married in Hawaii. I was happy to do it, but I would have done super simple if I knew we were footing the whole bill. The in laws paid for the photographer mostly so they could get extra pics of their other kids. Our daughter married the son of friends that we had for 25 years so the whole thing was a bit of a shock to us.

You never truly know what people are capable of until money comes in to play.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@luv2sparkle WOW!!! Would have been much better to just say they weren't going to contribute when the planning began. The fact that you had been friends for years before this makes it worse. SMH

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, Azstonie, Decemberfire, we probably wouldn't have contributed as much for a second wedding since we really went all out for the first, except that DD was marrying someone we have known since he was a little boy. We have known them since all of our kids were little. Two of our kids and two of theirs were best friends growing up. We were amazed at how different these people were once our kids got together. We were initially thinking we would do something really simple but when we started looking at venues the mom was over the top about how we had to do this particular venue and how she would pay for half. Before we even sat down to talk about finances she had already taken the couple out and told them she wanted to pay for the honeymoon-after she had committed to paying for half the wedding. We recently learned that she paid for it by putting it on the son's Amex and making the payments. She makes the payments alright, but it is screwing up the kids credit score because it looks like they have too much debt. Oh my gosh, I could seriously write a book on these people. Never have I been so amazed how different someone is from what I thought they were.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can only imagine how you felt @luv2sparkle

I remember how happy you were when your daughter started dating him. I was so happy for you, as it sounded like such a genuinely happy time in your life. I can only imagine how shocked you must have been. I'm sorry things have turned out this way.

What the heck happens to some women when their kids are getting married??? I watched one of my friends turn into a completely different person for 6 months. I almost fell over when she brought up buying a wedding dress and having it dyed burgundy for her dress. We were with the saleswomen in the mother of the bride department when she said this. Thank God the saleswoman told her NO, NO NO!!! I was so happy when the wedding was over.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, the happy thing is, my daughter is happy! AND, grand baby #2 is on the way! When the kids were about 10, we joked about them getting married someday. DD’s husband is the only one in their family who didn’t come to her first wedding! She jokes with him now that he could have saved her if he came. I didn’t know it, but she secretly had a huge crush on him.

So, we were supposed to go to DD house for thanksgiving. SIL family is there also. Couldn’t go because my DH got recalled. So the mom sends me this text and says “happy Saturday, thinking of you” and I text back kiss emojji. She texts me and says- what does that emoji mean? Kiss my **&? She is nuts.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, for the threadjack. Not even close to on topic. Sorry!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the groom, best man and groomsman wear pirate suits then you are gunna have a good time!

Annie Loves Diamond

Rough_Rock
Trade
Greatest wedding advice ever - don't spend too much on your wedding, coz you'll never know what will happen next, lol, I just read it somewhere.

Annie Loves Diamond

Rough_Rock
Trade

Absolutely true!,, but a diamond wedding ring could be an investment, I think its ok to spend on the jewels.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was the FUNNIEST thing I've seen in a long time. I swear I wasn't that bad! We did have a "wedding" though, mostly because of my MIL (even though we paid for most if it ourselves). We were also young when we got married and hadn't been to many weddings yet (22 & 23) so we were excited to have one. If we were doing it now we would have just eloped and had a dinner or something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results