shape
carat
color
clarity

A question for you - would you go for holy grail or have fun switching it up?

Gem_rocks

Rough_Rock
I have a philosophical (in gem speak!) questionfor you all..... do you like to have options with multiple less expensive jewellery options, or are you a holy grail kind of person? I am having the hardest time deciding which I am! I have the most beautiful ring, but can’t stop myself from looking for others. I kind of think that perhaps on some level I’m not satisfied, the itch hasn’t been scratched if you know what I mean? Or perhaps I just like choices and the ability to switch out an item depending on the occasion. I mean a holy grail piece might not suit everyday living. But at the same time to get the holy grail I’d have to sell my current stash which would be kinda heartbreaking..... or would it?

I’m a monster! Anyone else struggle with this?

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I definitely fall into the "switch it up" category. I am very happy that I have an assortment of diamond and gemstone rings (more modest in size and cost, of course - that's the trade-off) in a variety of settings! Only having one diamond ring to choose from isn't me, even if it would be something spectacular like an Octavia!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of having a ring wardrobe to mix and match and I have a few bands which I love to stack with but to my complete surprise I wear pretty much the same rings every day - wedding set on left hand (and I just can’t bring myself to wear other rings with it) and 1-3 bands on the right, one of which is always a thin WG single cut band I had considered for a wedding band before I found my orange blossom band. I have a list of more substantial rings I want but I do wonder if I’ll ever actually buy them given how seldom I change my jewellery.
I really want a larger OEC (2-2.5 carats) but again, not sure how I’d square it with my unexpected sentimentality about my current ering!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am in the Holy Grail category since I rarely wear jewelry of any kind, except for staple pieces. That plus my HG keeps getting bigger over time - many years ago my HG was 3 carat and now I would very happily wear a 10 carat EC every day and rock it!

I think it's normal to keep looking at other pieces and wanting better / more - that's why we have upgrades :lickout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HFG (holy freaking grail) category. I am very simple in my tastes but what I wear I want to be wow pieces.

Big beautiful ER and a pair of lovely antique diamond earrings. I have too many earrings but I do enjoy and wear many of them. That is it for my variety. I switch up the earrings and the wedding bands. .

I rarely wear any of my (beautiful) watches or necklaces but for special occasions I will wear a few other rings I have but generally I wear Bea and Bea alone in terms of big rings.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too am in the HFG category. I like what I like and am not interested in changing my staple pieces - except for a few diamond bracelets that I change up.

However, don't feel bad if you feel the opposite. Enjoy what you enjoy and if change makes you happy, go for it! No hard and fast rules about that!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of my jewelry never gets swapped. I think I’m a HFG person for my e-ring, my diamond studs rarely leave my earlobes, and once IDJ finishes resetting/creating my new diamond pendant then that will rarely leave my neck. I also have a custom tennis bracelet on order that will rarely leave my wrist once it’s on. I love bling but I also tend towards “no fuss”, so once it’s on, it’s on for a while!

The only exception seems to be that I love having lots of options for RHR’s, especially colored stones. I like to match my RHR with what I’m wearing.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of holy grail and then smaller purchases As Needed!
It’s seems a comfort to find something holy grail-ish you want to keep all your life instead of having an ongoing search for bigger and better. Where does it stop??

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am greedy. I just can't help it. I want it both ways. I want a holy grail but I also want variety as I like to change my jewelry. The largest stone I have is a 2.13 and I'd like that to eventually become a 3. But I also enjoy having several other rings with smaller stones and in different style settings and/or different color metals. Variety is the spice of life!

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a lot of small pieces, many gifts from family and purchased some bands with colored stones, but would sell 70% of them (the ones with no sentimental value) for a ring I’d wear daily and combine with different bands when I’m bored. I doubt most people get bored with their diamond (I mean the average person haha).

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I could have one amazing ring or a few well chosen less expensive pieces I'd go with the ring wardrobe. I like variety and I tend to "shoulda woulda coulda" second-guess & overthink every big purchase so pursuing a holy grail of a ring would most likely be hazardous to my mental health. :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgrades make money go poof.
Buying your last bauble first is cheaper.

Generally, overall, longterm, prices go up not down.
That means you'll save money if you buy it now, instead of in the future when prices are higher.
Plus, you don't lose money selling off your previous baubles at a pathetic fraction of what you paid for them.

Last edited:

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I prefer 1 amazing piece of jewelry than 100 small insignificant. But who said that the holly grail is permanent and forever? I would change a holy grail for other holy grail if I find a better one...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A poll might be a better setup for this type of a question. I'm in HG category and wear same things daily. That way even the expensive items' cost per wear approaches nothing;)2

Exactly. I go by PPW and that way I can justify any large purchase.8):bigsmile:
(To be clear the only one I have to justify it to is me but I am tough so I have to convince myself first and foremost when spending big bucks).:cool2:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wear my three-ring wedding bands every day, and enjoy swapping up colored stone rings along with them. I intended to stop when I had all seven colors of the rainbow— ha ha ha! :lol:

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
A poll might be a better setup for this type of a question. I'm in HG category and wear same things daily. That way even the expensive items' cost per wear approaches nothing;)2

Omg! "Cost per wear" love this and totally need to use it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HFG. I don’t even wear a wedding band at all. I like only MK to take the stage. I am THAT boring. Nothing in the right hand and still cannot commit to a pair of earrings other than my studs. So lame. I don’t mind having another ring now that I have my HFG. I would swap out MK for a three stone with a Colombian emerald in the center, but No big deal if I never get it. I am always happy to ogle but don’t feel any desperate need to hange or buy another or more.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the multiple rings, switch it up category. Part of it is where I live-- 2 carats would be seen as obscene around here. But, I also love many shapes and types of rings.

I'm very happy with more rings, and I am just loving my .56 carat HPD/CBI ring

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m very very happy with my HG ACA, so no switching up for me!

Gem_rocks

Rough_Rock
Isn’t this interesting? And I completely agree that mental health does come into it!!! In some ways I see it as a flaw in my character not to be satisfied with something that most of the world would literally burst with happiness to own!! I think part of the problem is that admitting to myself that I want he super expensive HFG is a bit of a leap! Although Kenny you are right about losing money on upgrades and just buying now as prices are indeed only going up.

I am a big fan of the cost per wear argument!

So happy that so many people with my favourite rings have contributed to my quandary!

Thank you!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wasn't there a similar thread recently? I don't remember what I said in that thread but I know that I prefer one biiiig HFG!! I do have other pieces which I adore. But have found that over the years, i keep making the same mistake of buying smaller less expensive items, only to end up not wearing them (much) or selling them at a loss!;( So I **know** for sure that I, unfortunate for my pocket, only like more expensive and/or bigger pieces. I'd therefore rather have far fewer higher end pieces than lots of less expensive ones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results