shape
carat
color
clarity

Overwhelmed finding a diamond...blue nile or shane co?

captain_ralph

Rough_Rock
First time posting so if I broke any forum rules please let me know :)

I found and purchased an engagement ring setting from Shane Co. recently and have been looking for a diamond. I saw another thread talking about whether or not to buy the diamond from shane co. or an online store. Shane co of course told me that it would be a bad idea to buy a diamond online, however when looking they seem to be a lot cheaper for a similar diamond at blue nile than shane co. I am looking for a emerald cut diamond with a carat size from .90 to 1.12, it just seems super overwhelming since its a big purchase. My budget for the diamond maxes out at around 5k, here are some diamonds I was looking at...I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on the difference and the better way to go?

One of the reasons I am leaning towards paying more at shane co is because they will replace the diamond if it falls out, I can get a bigger diamond in it if I pay at least a dollar more than the one before, and its all in house in one spot. I have also heard the setting costs between $1-$3 per point for the setting if you get the diamond elsewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....:)

Shane Co diamonds:
http://www.shaneco.com/jewelry-catalog/product-detail.aspx?XS=1373908
http://www.shaneco.com/jewelry-catalog/product-detail.aspx?XS=1373677

Blue Nile diamonds:
1. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09459032
2. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09592367
3. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09621725?refTab=DIAMONDS
4. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09691822?refTab=DIAMONDS

I can post a picture of the setting if that helps!

Thank you

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Captain Ralph, I have a gorgeous EC from the Shane Company and have taken advantage of their $1 more upgrade policy frequently. On fancy cut diamonds it’s a good idea to see them in person. Yes, you can find nice diamonds online and from popular PS vendors as well.

captain_ralph

Rough_Rock
Captain Ralph, I have a gorgeous EC from the Shane Company and have taken advantage of their $1 more upgrade policy frequently. On fancy cut diamonds it’s a good idea to see them in person. Yes, you can find nice diamonds online and from popular PS vendors as well.

There seems to be quite a markup on the shane co diamonds, is that large markup worth it? Thanks for the quick response!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will get a better price online. I don't get the part about the settings. Upgrade policies vary but if you plan to later upgrade to a larger diamond, that makes a difference as to where I'd recommend buying. You need to know that when you upgrade, the setting usually has to be replaced.

I didn't like BN 1 & 2. I like 3 & 4 but think the 1.05 F VS2 (#4) is the better value and looks cleaner in the center.

The first Shane diamond is smaller than the BN 1.05 F VS2 and is over $1300 more!!!! Second Shane stone also too small and costs more! You need to watch the diameter measurements and not just weight. If your diamond budget is $5000, let's find a larger stone at BN rather than overpay for a smaller diameter stone at Shane!

Last edited:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the markup is worth it or not depends on you. I like being able to take things in to a store and get it cleaned and checked plus have the option for easy upgrades or trades. I haven’t needed much in the way of repairs but the lifetime warranty has come in handy at times. I have taken advantage of their upgrade policy many times so I find that worth something to me.

I’ve also bought from several online vendors and have no complaints with them but if I need something done I have to pay for it locally.

My jewelry from Whiteflash or CBI would have to be mailed to get repaired and that would make me kind of nervous. I tell my husband if I ever decide I want a new ering we are going to Texas. I’m not sending my ering in the mail. I’ll let them email it to me but prefer being able to hand it over to someone directly.

captain_ralph

Rough_Rock
You will get a better price online. I don't get the part about the settings. Upgrade policies vary but if you plan to later upgrade to a larger diamond, that makes a difference as to where I'd recommend buying. You need to know that when you upgrade, the setting usually has to be replaced.

I didn't like BN 1 & 2. I like 3 & 4 but think the 1.05 F VS2 (#4) is the better value and looks cleaner in the center.

The first Shane diamond is smaller than the BN 1.05 F VS2 and is over $1300 more!!!! Second Shane stone also too small and costs more! You need to watch the diameter measurements and not just weight. If your diamond budget is $5000, let'd find a larger stone at BN rather than overpay for a smaller diameter stone at Shane!

If I were to get a 1ct from BN and have it set at shane co, I believe it would cost me about 300 dollars, and not sure if they would cover it if it ever fell out. I don't currently have plans to upgrade the diamond later, but it was one of the points the shane co. employee stressed heavily. (They made it seem like it happens a lot?)

I agree with the crazy price difference between SC and BN! My budget ceiling is max at 5k but if I found one in between 4k and 5k I wouldn't be upset. :razz: Would it help if I sent a link to the setting that I got?

http://www.shaneco.com/detail/frame-halo-platinum-wedding-set-with-round-diamond-accent/41072252/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, in the real world, upgrades don't happen a lot. I was married 30 years before I got one, and no one in my real life has ever gotten an upgrade other than friends on Pricescope! I kept my original diamond anyway!

I like the BN 1.05 well enough and didn't see anything else slightly larger.

The big question is, did she pick out that setting? If it is the one she wants, you'll still come out much better buying the stone at BN and the setting at Shane.

BUT, if she did not pick out that specific setting, let's see what else we can find that is pretty!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe Shane Co charges $3 per point to set a stone from somewhere else but it is then covered by their warranty if it falls out. I don’t think that happens very often but things can happen.

I think PS members upgrade more than most people.

captain_ralph

Rough_Rock
No, in the real world, upgrades don't happen a lot. I was married 30 years before I got one, and no one in my real life has ever gotten an upgrade other than friends on Pricescope! I kept my original diamond anyway!

I like the BN 1.05 well enough and didn't see anything else slightly larger.

The big question is, did she pick out that setting? If it is the one she wants, you'll still come out much better buying the stone at BN and the setting at Shane.

BUT, if she did not pick out that specific setting, let's see what else we can find that is pretty!

Yeah when looking at rings I had pointed that one out and she basically fell in love with it, so I purchased the setting...planning to do more research on the diamond later. The dimensions look good on that BN 1.05?

There was also this one: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09573151

Seems to be quite a price jump for a similar diamond is it because of the symmetry? Also how big of an impact is Fluorescence?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure it would be worth $1000 more for me to go with the D over the F. The price jump is mainly for the D VS1 and a slight discount for fluorescence on the other. I like fluorescence and medium is kind of a non-issue. You won't see it unless you shine a UV light on the stone. But I think either of these looks okay and both are better than the Shane stones. I am not thinking we can beat these prices. The only other place to look is James Allen. It's about 12:45am where I am, so I can't look anymore tonight. But I will check the thread tomorow!

I forgot to address the warranty thing. That's really useless. A diamond can crack if hit just right, and rings can be lost or stolen. If you are concerned about replacement, you need a jewelry insurance policy to cover what you paid for the ring because it will cover all kinds of loss, not just losing the stone from the setting. And while I am on that topic, use your sales receipt and GIA report for the insurance and never use an inflated/feel good appraisal because they aren't going to replace the ring with a more expensive one than you are covering. This is who I'd try first as they seem to have better rates than the other most popular insurer:

http://www.touchstoneinsurance.com/consumer/co1.html

captain_ralph

Rough_Rock
Sounds good thank you all for the great information! Marcy, thats good to know they still honor the warranty :)

I will look into the insurance company you mentioned and make sure to keep the receipts and reports all in a safe place! Let me know if you find anything on James Allen, its about midnight where I am so I am headed to bed as well but will look at JA in the morning.

Maybe I will swing by shane co and see what they have in the stores, although im guessing whatever is in the stores is listed online as well?

talk to you all tomorrow!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am assuming he bought the size that accommodates a 1 ct EC. It's just a 4 prong peg head that will sit the stone above the halo, so any of the 1 ct ECs should work, I would think.

captain_ralph

Rough_Rock
I can bring the ring in to Shane Co and get it measured today, I believe I saw the max carat was 1.12? I could be mistaken though, so I’ll bring it in.

Those Brian diamonds are a little above my budget, I still like that #4 from BN, but I will check it James allen in a bit when I get off work. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting would be made for a certain range of diamond. That's what you need to know. I have no confidence in a sales person measuring it. You bought it to fit a 1 ct emerald cut, right? That means you can go slightly under or slightly over. All the stones you are looking at should be fine if the setting is made for a 1 ct emerald cut.

captain_ralph

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help, so from the ones we have looked at it looks like these are the top 5. Is there any that stand out, or should I ask the sellers about each one to see if they are eye clean?

1. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3050277
2. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.06-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-810548
3. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09691822
4. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.05-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3592145
5. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09592035

#4 seems to have a higher fluorescence is strong on #4, but don't know if that out weighs that it is a VS1.

EDIT: Talked to JA and both 1 and 2 are eye clean

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 . Another set of eyes on the ECs if you have moment....

I love the faceting of #2. Would love to hear from ECs folks thoughts on if the obstruction observed in the video will have any real-world impact on performance of it simply photo-setup. #5 does the same thing (a lot of black reflection face on) @Karl_K

And I like #4. Relative to flour, you just need to ask them if it causes and haziness (which is very rare).

Last edited:

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
If you do go look at stones at Shane Co, make sure they are showing you ONLY stones with reports from GIA or AGS. I was very disappointed when I went there and found out that a lot of their diamonds do not come with lab reports.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the faceting of #2. Would love to hear from ECs folks thoughts on if the obstruction observed in the video will have any real-world impact on performance of it simply photo-setup. #5 does the same thing (a lot of black reflection face on) @Karl_K

And I like #4. Relative to flour, you just need to ask them if it causes and haziness (which is very rare).

#4 is my choice out of the 5, as long as the strong fluorescence doesn’t create an issue, and OP is OK with it.
#1 & #2 & #3 & #5 have inclusions l cannot unsee; some to the point that l cannot imagine not being able to notice them via naked eye observance.
l* do not believe the inclusions in #2 will have any real world impact on the stone, but, as @Karl_K has mentioned in other posts, damage is relative; even IF diamonds can be damaged. Another point @Karl_K has made, that l completely agree with is, positioning an EC and lying it on its p2 facet to observe it in motion is not helpful to determine the EC’s true performing nature. One must really observe an EC in it’s standing, N-S position in order to really concentrate on the steps, and how they catch the light.
That being said, #4 is my choice, based upon the info provided. l’d love to see an ASET on it, to see if there are any dim areas, or lack of fire. From the video, it does not appear to have a “dead center”, but more visual aids are really necessary to tell for certain.
Hopefully, Karl can give you some words of wisdom....
@captain_ralph: l have not read your entire thread, but if you are interested in seeing if l can come up with some potential alternatives that fit your budget & preferences, l’m happy to help! :mrgreen2:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

largish table at 68%, low crown height, lots of contrast at an angle.
I am wondering if the p2 angle may be to close to 41, that would give it that look while tilted and makes for a slow flashing diamond.
In general with a larger table you want smaller bars of light(more and thinner VFs) to break up the diamond more and give it back some of the life you lose with a larger table and low crown.
Given the limits of the video it may be better than it appears in the video but there are some red flags.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
#4 is my choice out of the 5, as long as the strong fluorescence doesn’t create an issue, and OP is OK with it.
You are right it is worth getting an ASET

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
#1 just makes me sad, angles cut to what looks like could be near perfect(more data needed), messed up the corners/windmills to keep weight.

captain_ralph

Rough_Rock
@Matthews1127 Would the best way to find out if the fluorescence will cause an issue is to contact the seller? Also thanks for the other diamonds to look at! The first you one you linked seemed to take me to the homepage of JA, I like the look of the second one too. Of those three would you say #4 you like better or one of the ones you posted?

Also how would one go about getting an ASET done on a diamond?

@Karl_K Would you say it would be best to be safe and pass on #2 and go with #4 or one of the ones Matthews posted?

Sorry for all the questions, this is a lot of good information though!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is the EC @Matthews1127 meant to link to. Really pretty.
#6) https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.12-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-3635328; 6.80*5.03*3.38

#7) JewelsbyGrace vintage. 6.67 x 4.67 x 3.20 mm

BN #4) 4. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09691822?refTab=DIAMONDS; 6.67 x 4.90 x 3.41 mm

So, I think the consensus is #4 and #6 (largest) have merit. Pass on the others From JA, you put the diamonds on hold and request an ASET from them. You can hold up to 3 diamonds for 48 hours. And they will generally only give 3 ASET per email. Same for BN, although they are not as consistent at providing and ASET. Most things are closed today in the US due to it being a national holiday.

I don't know if Grace will provide them, but you can just email and ask. But, I'm a sucker for antique diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results