shape
carat
color
clarity

Impulse Buy (Oval Diamond, James Allen)

Dakoda Mckennon

Rough_Rock
Hey all,
Im a complete novice when it comes to jewelry and my impulsive self, after some reviewing decided to buy my longtime girlfriend the gift I never planned on exchanging with anyone, an engagement ring. I'm so excited to surprise her because she has no idea. But after a couple of weeks have went by, I'm concerned that I didn't do the proper amount of research on the diamond I chose as her centerpiece. Can anyone give me an idea if I did ok?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-3373892

I paid $3700 for the stone and while that might not be a lot to some, it's a lot to me and it's important for me to know if I got a decent deal.

Thanks so much.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is exciting that you are planning to propose! She must be a very special girl if you never thought that you will be asking anyone for a hand in marriage before.

Are you still within the return window with JA? Also, what setting did you purchase? And do you know if she likes oval diamonds?

Dakoda Mckennon

Rough_Rock
She is very special. I guess I've always been skeptical in the institution of marriage but when you find the right person for you I guess those feelings just sort of develop. That being said, she will be floored because I've been very vocal on those views for a long time lol. And to answer your questions, yes, I'm still in the return window and I have NO idea what she likes because we have never really spoken about it. I only know she likes rose gold and I "think" the halo type settings as shes commented on their beauty for other womens rings previously. This is the setting:

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...iamond-engagement-ring-oval-center-item-41437

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think you did fairly well on your own as far as light return and nice faceting. I am concerned about the J color. Only you/she can decide
if its got too much tint or just fine. The rose gold should help somewhat with the tint (it wont show as much as up against white metal). I do think
you got a pretty good price for a 1.2.

So when you get it (I assume you're waiting for it)...look at it in all different lighting and see what you think.

Edit...On the settings page you can see some ovals in that setting that are "K" colored. I didnt see any
Js.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What an exciting time in your life and what a special lady she must be!

I echo concerns about the color (since ovals tend to show more color than rounds typically). She may be fine with the color and she may not. Without her seeing J colored ovals, there's no way to know what her tolerance is. If it were me, I might go a tad higher in color unless you already know she's not color sensitive. Good luck!

Dakoda Mckennon

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the advice. I consulted with one of JA's gemologist and they recommended the stone. I guess it's true, won't really know until it's right in front of me. I am hoping the color isn't bothersome. I'm feeling less anxious knowing I didn't get a bad deal at least (I'm always terrified of being ripped off lol).

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you both for the advice. I consulted with one of JA's gemologist and they recommended the stone. I guess it's true, won't really know until it's right in front of me. I am hoping the color isn't bothersome. I'm feeling less anxious knowing I didn't get a bad deal at least (I'm always terrified of being ripped off lol).

Depending on when you would like to propose, you could drag her shopping under the guise of buying your mom or sister a diamond pendant for the holidays and because it's "girly shopping" you need her advice. That will give you a chance really gauge her reaction to different colors and shapes. If you have been vocal enough against marriage, I would image that the most she would suspect is that you were going to get her diamond jewelry.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's true, I've been vocal however I don't think I could maintain a straight face demeanor and pull that off lol

If you hadnt already ordered the ring then it would be a good way of trying to get some info but I feel like
that ship done sailed! I think you should just propose and if she doesnt like it for some reason then you are at the point
where she can express exactly what she wants.

(I'm thinking it will be a lovely ring.)

Dakoda Mckennon

Rough_Rock
^^^ I don't disagree. I guess this is more my seeking reassurance. But realistically I'm under no timeline so I COULD indeed return if it isn't what I was expecting.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey all,
Im a complete novice when it comes to jewelry and my impulsive self, after some reviewing decided to buy my longtime girlfriend the gift I never planned on exchanging with anyone, an engagement ring. I'm so excited to surprise her because she has no idea. But after a couple of weeks have went by, I'm concerned that I didn't do the proper amount of research on the diamond I chose as her centerpiece. Can anyone give me an idea if I did ok?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-3373892

I paid $3700 for the stone and while that might not be a lot to some, it's a lot to me and it's important for me to know if I got a decent deal.

Thanks so much.

Wait a minute....
Rose gold combined with a broad-faceted, flashy 1.20 J SI1 oval surrounded by little white, sparkly, twinkling diamonds?!? Holy crap! What’s not to love?!? And under $4,000? That’s awesome!! :eek2:
The fact that you have never been motivated to do this, and she knows this fact about you, will just blow her mind, when she sees the ring! Quite frankly, l highly doubt she’ll be disappointed; hell, you just may need smelling salts!!!
Take a box of tissues, wherever you decide to propose; you’ll need them! That ring is going to be stunning!!!
Good job!
Please post hand shots, after she says “YES!”!!!! :mrgreen2:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

$4,000 is a lot of money for most people! PS isn't exactly the real world lol. The ring is going to be gorgeous, be sure to come back after the proposal for hand photos. :razz:

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Depending on when you would like to propose, you could drag her shopping under the guise of buying your mom or sister a diamond pendant for the holidays and because it's "girly shopping" you need her advice. That will give you a chance really gauge her reaction to different colors and shapes. If you have been vocal enough against marriage, I would image that the most she would suspect is that you were going to get her diamond jewelry.

That'd hard to pull off for most folks, on the sheer fact that shopping for diamond jewelry to the extent of looking at color and stone shapes is pretty unusual for a simple Christmas or birthday gift.

OP, don't worry, she'll love it! Please do post hand shots.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be one very thrilled young lady! She must be really special to change your views on marriage! You made an excellent choice on the setting! I would have recommended no lower than I color on the diamond, but you may be okay since it is set in rose gold. She really won't care because she is going to be soooo surprised and happy! Please do come back after the proposal! We like hearing the happy ending and seeing pictures of the ring!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do agree with everyone that you made an excellent choice within budgetsnd considering that the diamond will be set in rose gold! Your significant other will be thrilled. Wishing you a beautiful and happy life together! Please come back with hand shots after the proposal :)

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous! I think you made a wonderful choice. I've been away from Pricescope for a while, and yours is the first post I read. Your ring is going to be a stunner! That rose gold setting with that diamond! I am jealous, tee hee!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Woo hoo!
Hands shots are mandatory! Also give us the details of the proposal.
Hope the day goes great.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a happy thread, and that oval is such a pleasing shape with beautiful facet pattern. :appl:
Can't wait to hear what transpires over Thanksgiving.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's true, I've been vocal however I don't think I could maintain a straight face demeanor and pull that off lol

I understand that. It's a really big step in your relationship and a huge change. I remember doing this for a friend of mine way back before PS, which is why I suggested it. Only my excuse was that I was shopping for myself of course.

ETA: Seems every time I hit enter and it submits my posts before I'm done posting. :roll

I wanted to wish you the best on your upcoming proposal! We very much need hand shots when this finally happens! :bigsmile::bigsmile:

Jays0n

Rough_Rock
Well done on taking the plunge! One thing I wanted to comment, if you are unsure of being in the right direction re stone and setting to her personal tastes, is enlist the help of one of her closest friends (who is not yet engaged) and then try and get them to 'pull a swifty' on her, e.g. saying that they suspect their boyfriend is going to propose as he was asking questions about a ring and this is what her friend told that boyfriend and try and get out of your GF what her personal tastes are a bit, so it can lead you in the right direction. May or may not work, but if you are unsure, it's worth a shot.

I have read all sorts of things about ways to try and fish information out of your partner, even some people trying on ring sizes on their finger while they are sleeping! (lol)

It's going to blow her away and surprise the heck out of her, given she's not suspecting anything !! Good on you! :mrgreen2:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're gonna nail it! and that ring is beautiful!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck! The ring is beautiful...we need more pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results