shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me chose diamond stud earrings-my first earrings ever

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone:) I finally pierced my ears at the age of 37 (ha). I would like to get a pair of diamond studs to wear every day. I have no clue about diamonds aside from the few hours of reading I did on this forum today. I think I read too much at once and its all swimming in brain in no particular order (arrows? hearts? inclusions?). I see that WF is quite recommended here, and would like to order from there. My budget is around 3k. As far as size, I really have no idea right now, I need to go somewhere to try some studs on so I can get a feel for what I like (i fear what i like is big ha). But lets just say that I would like to get the biggest size possible while getting nice quality stones. I would like to be able to upgrade them to bigger in the future as well. The only other jewelry I wear is my cartier love bracelet and a mix of rings that are mostly family heirlooms and are not flashy. Also I dress very casually so I really want something pretty and shiny to make me happy every day:)
In case this is helpful: My ears/lobes are small, my face shape and complexion is similar to J Lo. hmm i think thats it unless I missed anything worth mentioning? Thank you so much in advance! I was looking at Bony Levy studs from Nordstrom just because I didnt know how else to do this, and coming across this forum has been great!
editing to add: i *think* that a small imperfection is not necessarily a deal breaker for me if the stone otherwise has a beautiful cut and shine. I just want to enjoy something pretty in my ears.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any diamonds you choose from whiteflash will be beautiful. Try the diamond pair search on their website. I have j/k color studs and they are very white. I am not color sensitive though so you may want to look at different color diamonds to see what you prefer.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call WF up and they will suggest the perfect pair. I ordered a pair online and they called to recommend a better pair.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Play with the WF site. And on ears, I'd go down to a J in color and SI1 (it will say if its eye-clean).

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
I got 0.33 ct (each ear) I S1 ACA studs from WF - extremely "white" and sparkly. Would have gone to J if available in that size. Good everyday size.

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
Any diamonds you choose from whiteflash will be beautiful. Try the diamond pair search on their website. I have j/k color studs and they are very white. I am not color sensitive though so you may want to look at different color diamonds to see what you prefer.
thank you! I just read a post here about how much someone loves their J colored diamond more than the whiter diamonds she owns, and it made me think how I also tend to prefer slightly warmer whites overall (though i am thinking wall paint and linens:lol:). So yes, thank you I will be keeping this in mind.

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
Play with the WF site. And on ears, I'd go down to a J in color and SI1 (it will say if its eye-clean).

thank you! I dont know what I am doing wrong but when I change my parameters to J there are no diamonds found! Ok figured that out...

interesting.. one of the pairs i looked at where it says eye clean it is left blank instead of saying yes or no. i wonder what that means.

Last edited:

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
Does your budget of 3k include the settings? (If so, which metal & type do you prefer?)

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you! I just read a post here about how much someone loves their J colored diamond more than the whiter diamonds she owns, and it made me think how I also tend to prefer slightly warmer whites overall (though i am thinking wall paint and linens:lol:). So yes, thank you I will be keeping this in mind.

When I went to whiteflash to look at the diamonds for studs I wanted Js in order to get the largest size I could afford. They only had one J in the size I needed so I looked at a K as well. Side by side I could barely detect a difference. With a whole head in between there is certainly no detectable difference. In fact when they are side by side in the jewelry box, I have to really look very closely to tell which is the J and which is the K. I adore my studs and probably wouldn't ever see a need to go up in color. Size, on the other hand,...;)2

All of the lovely ladies that I have worked with at whiteflash are helpful, patient, non-intimidating, and not pushy. I love it there! Such a fun place to visit if you ever get the chance.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've just repurposed a ring into earrings. Mine are .32 and .36 stones in a platinum bezel setting, which are my perfect everyday size.

IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1990.JPG

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You need to go see "colors" live. So far, is everyone responding either likes warm color diamond or isn't color sensitive. This is personal. You need to see what works for you. Then you can make an informed decision.

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
Does your budget of 3k include the settings? (If so, which metal & type do you prefer?)
I could spend a little over 3k to include the setting. I like three prong martini I think. As far as the metal I think white gold? I don’t really know what the benefit of platinum would be.

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
You need to go see "colors" live. So far, is everyone responding either likes warm color diamond or isn't color sensitive. This is personal. You need to see what works for you. Then you can make an informed decision.
Great point! Thank you!

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
I've just repurposed a ring into earrings. Mine are .32 and .36 stones in a platinum bezel setting, which are my perfect everyday size.

IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1990.JPG
Thank you! Pictures are very helpful!

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
When I went to whiteflash to look at the diamonds for studs I wanted Js in order to get the largest size I could afford. They only had one J in the size I needed so I looked at a K as well. Side by side I could barely detect a difference. With a whole head in between there is certainly no detectable difference. In fact when they are side by side in the jewelry box, I have to really look very closely to tell which is the J and which is the K. I adore my studs and probably wouldn't ever see a need to go up in color. Size, on the other hand,...;)2

All of the lovely ladies that I have worked with at whiteflash are helpful, patient, non-intimidating, and not pushy. I love it there! Such a fun place to visit if you ever get the chance.
Would be so much fun to visit! But I’m in LA. Prob for the best, I would be quite overwhelmed!

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much I will look at those shortly. I’m thinking of going down to a jewelry store where I had my ears pierced, the woman owner is very nice and will probably help me look at sizes and colors although she doesn’t have a big selection. I really don’t know where else to go to just be able to look and try things on without being pushed to buy. I really hate that.

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
ok, so the lady is bringing some diamonds for me to look at, for colors and clarity, i think tomorrow or the day after. thanks to everyone for your replies and help! I should have a more exact idea of what to look for at WF very soon!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure they are graded by GIA or AGS for proper color comparison.

I have a pair of Brian gavin studs (comparable to whiteflash) and one is a I SI2, the other J SI1. I cannot tell the colors apart and they are bright on my ears.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
Why don't you call Leslie at BGD, Brian Gavin was the designer of the ACA's when he was at WF.
Leslie can recommend a pair within your budget.
This might be premature, but dont forget about the backings of the studs. I recommend the LaPousette back so they dont fall off!
Good luck.

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
Ok so I went to see a few diamonds, 3 pairs to be exact. They were all .70, an H pair, a H to I, and a pair of J’s. These stones are not certified, but one of the store owners is a gemologist and he told me the H pair was VS1. Out of the three pairs I liked the H best, however I don’t think it was necessarily an accurate comparison because the J just seemed darker altogether; not more warm but darker like there was less light emanating from it. I don’t know if that’s due to cut. It was fun to put the diamond next to my ear to get a feel for size. I really like the .70 but then I tried on a finished .80 CZ earring and I liked that size even more :naughty:. I suppose what I need to do now is choose a pair of diamonds from WF and proceed! I need to make a decision. I’m still wearing my training earrings and they make me insane. I will figure out how to post a picture now with the .70 next to my ear!

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
IMG_1840seventyinear.jpg

This is .70 H. I like the way this size looks. I am not set on H, this is just the one i liked most so i photographed that one. i have a feeling coming on that i need to raise my budget a little.

Last edited:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That would be my ideal size as well, but you can always trade up at Whiteflash. I am definitely going to do a small pair from there this Winter until I end up with about .75 in each ear! You can’t go wrong, they won’t let you!

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
That's a beautiful size. You could raise your budget, or look at Brian Gavin or WF for well cut stones (look bigger and flashy if well cut) in smaller carat weight with view to upgrade later. I've had good consumer experience with both companies.

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
That's a beautiful size. You could raise your budget, or look at Brian Gavin or WF for well cut stones (look bigger and flashy if well cut) in smaller carat weight with view to upgrade later. I've had good consumer experience with both companies.
thank you. Wow, there are literally no results at brian gavin matching my parameters, and i fiddled with them!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you live in la, go to Tiffany and try on h and I color studs. You will get a better sense of what the whiteflash and Brian Gavin studs will look like vs uncertified stones from a local vendor.

Just my opinion....

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are your starter earring little balls or stones? I ask because not everyone is comfortable sleeping with stones in their ears. I'm one of those. I actually prefer continuous/endless hooks more than anything. I like them big enough to loop over my earlobe, but not jam into my head. So, until you are out of the 'training wheel' period, you might want to stick with the official starters.=)2

My preferred earring style for sleeping.
upload_2017-10-24_21-2-53.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results