carat
color
clarity

Loot from my first gem show

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys :wavey:

Hope you are all having a fantastic weekend! Went to my first gem show and this is what I walked away with.

First a trillion pink tourmaline, not sure on the size but it is a pretty pink color. Not sure how tacky it is to post prices but I only paid $20 so I thought it was a good introductory stone.

Next up a .63 carat pink spinel, super sparkly little stone. Paid $35 for that guy.

Now what I didn't buy, he had a .38 carat Kornerupine which I LOVED the color and cut on. 4.4mm he wanted $250. I came that close but couldn't pull the trigger being a newbie. The pictures I took did not come out but it was a really saturated teal color in a round brilliant cut. I felt I was getting caught up in the excitement and I needed to take a step back.

I had a blast, kids had a blast so we will be seeking out more shows in the future.

Be honest, how did I do and was passing on the kornerupine wise or did I lose a unicorn?

IMG_2742.JPG IMG_2750.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Love the gem shows!!
There are two a year happening in my town, and I never miss them.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful additions to your collection Stephanie! As for the Kornerupine I can't really tell you. I usually see them offered as olive/brown stones and the more intense colors are certainly more valuable. At some point as colored gem lovers we gravitate to collecting for beauty and durability with or without the rarity factor. It's a personal decision.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2739.JPG Stracci it is so fun to see so many gems in person in one spot. It looks like there are a couple next year in the spring around here so I have a chance to save up. You ever get a great find at a show?

Thanks Lisa! I totally get what you are saying and maybe that's where I got held up, I was going for the rare factor over anything else.

Maybe you guys can get an idea from this pic, it's not great but to see the color I'm talking about.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think it was a good decision not to buy the kornerupine. 250$ is a bit expensive. From the picture it is a chromian kornerupine ( Tanzania) with a strong pleochroism (green to violett) and nice cutting. But 400-500 pct so 150-160 $ would be o.k.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reassurance Nosean. I just browsed through some of the threads on kornerupine on PS and it seems like it is tough to find one that isn't brown/olive/yellow like Lisa mentioned above or they are very pale blue. I did really like the color on this but as you seem to agree I thought it might be on the high side.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing and especially for sharing the prices!!!! Love the spinel!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely pieces! How much fun this must have been!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing your pretty new pieces!

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Your gems are lovely! Congrats!

I went to the gem show in SE Texas today. Wonder if we were at the same one?

I didn't buy anything. My daughter got a lovely amber pendant.

You may get a postcard for the next gem show that will allow you and a friend to get in free. Usually, the vendor (that you used) will send you one.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so impressed and applaud your restraint. You did very well - you have new pretties to play with and they did not break the bank. As for the kornerupine, I can't help but believe that you will be relieved that you did not buy it, as other stones come your way.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mellow, I love that little spinel she is just the lightest color pink but shimmers like crazy. The vendor I bought him from had some lovely stones.

Bluegemz, it was SO fun like I could have stayed all day, didn't want to buy a lot though since I'm just getting my sea legs. I'll admit I really envy your amazing gems you share, they are all so pretty. Life goals!

Thanks Missy! I was surprised my kids had as much fun as they did, maybe not my husband though having to wrangle a three year old!

Thanks TX! I'm actually in CT so not the same show but what a coincidence they were on the same day. An amber pendant sounds lovely, didn't see any here (maybe I missed it) but love the color and richness of amber. It would be great to get one of those postcards, I'll be going regardless but that's more $ for stones right there :dance:

Minous I posted my reply before seeing your post, thank you so much for the reassurance, I figured if I posted about the kornerupine and everyone told me I missed out on something special I could always get in touch with him since I took his card. I'm thinking the tourmaline might make a nice pendant and the spinel, I'd like to see her so maybe a ring down the line.

Last edited:

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
And next time ask for a better price - 10-20 % discount - why not!

In a gem show the vendor has only a short period to make business and they want to sell.

Or contact him later if you really want it and is still in your mind. This stone is pretty and rounds are rare.

Unfortunately ( for your piggy bank ) you have talent. A round clean spinel for small money - great.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do enjoy buying online, but I LOVE gem shows! I’m so glad you had a good time. Your pink trilliant is such a nice color and I can tell that your spinel is a sparkle bomb. I actually wish more people would post when they got deals and how much they paid. I know I can’t get a deal all the time so it’s exciting when I do. I’m glad you had fun. Those are great finds!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nosean, that's where I get hung up, I'm not a great bargainer so need to work on that. Am I better of bundling if I am buying many stones? He also had a really nice color and cut on a Rhodochrosite, he had a few but one was really a standout but then he dropped it :eek-2:
So knowing how soft it is I had to pass on that. Plus I don't know what I would do with it. Thinking of a trilogy ring for the spinel with that as the center and either pale yellow or blue stones on the sides.

Thanks chatoyancy! I figured sharing the prices might help someone maybe starting out, I didn't know what to expect and thought prices would be high but that was really not the case. Of course it's the settings that get expensive, it would be great to find a vintage setting for the spinel but I get overwhelmed since gemstones are so much different than diamonds.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Think it is very good that you share the prices - not hundreds or thousands per carat for a lovely and sparkling spinel - only 55 pct!!!

Same with the nice tourmaline.

If you buy several stones from the same vendor always ask for a better price. You will get it. Happy customer will return...

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gem shows are great! I have gotten good prices or at least fair prices for every gem I have bought. I think I simply move on when a vendor doesn’t have good quality material or seems overpriced on everything they sell, not just some types of stones. I have quite a few stones that need to be set now. I think diamonds and having by something custom set adds to the cost. I wouldn’t mind a stock setting for some of my items, but others would look better with a custom setting. My best deal would have to be my $20, well cut pear kunzite from the bargain bin if one of my favorite vendors. It’s almost 6 carats. I also bought a pair of screaming yellow chrysoberyls from a different vendor. They were a good price, but what was fantastic is that for an extra $100 he said he could set them into 14k earrings. I agreed. I could not believe how good the quality of the final product. I was impressed.

I would love to see what you do with your new gems! Please continue to share pictures of your loot from future shows.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results