shape
carat
color
clarity

Who ever heard of it...in search of a smaller diamond

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Hi friends. I NEED YOUR HELP ASAP or I'm heading towards divorce court, for sure. I am not known for my brevity but I'm gonna try!! I REALLY need expert advice and help and I know you all can do it for me! Husband is about ready to kill me:

So, I tried resetting what (for me) is a very large OEC Diamond (that I bought for a pre-owned CvB Casablanca Setting I found on Diamond Bistro) into a PRECIOUS NEW CvB custom setting (ring). And while the new ring is lovely, it is TOO MUCH DIAMOND for me...not too much ring...too much diamond. Frankly, after much ado today, I am convinced the 2.43 diamond positively eclipses my gorgeous, beautiful pristine new CvB setting.

Specs on the diamond:
GIA Certified
Old European Cut 8. mm x 8.32 mm x 5.45 mm,
Q Range,
2.43 carat VS1,
Good-Good-None

The new CvB Setting (Caysie and I call it the Kithara) arrives and is beyond perfect...gorgeous...but IMHO not with the abovementioned diamond...still too large (of course) and now with way too much color for the lovely CvB Setting...but mainly too large.

So I traveled to a REPUTABLE JEWELER today (brought in some rings for cleaning, resizing) who fell in love with my new setting...not with the abovementioned diamond. The jeweler (been in business in Ann Arbor MI since 1920) said, "Hey, CHECK WITH CvB FIRST (which I'm in the process of doing) but you can go down to a 7.75 mm x 7.80 mm x whatever (depth)...around a 1.80 carat diamond for this gorgeous setting (WHICH IS MY COMFORT ZONE) without compromising the setting!" So, jeweler removes 2.43 diamond places an $18,000 (???) MRB in place @ 1.80 carats, H-I, VVS, 7.75 x 7.75 x whatever and I CRIED! YOU HAD TO SEE THE SETTING...SHOULD HAVE TAKEN PICS!!! Was WAY TOO FRAZZLED TO DO SO! But I don't like modern diamonds at all.

So, I NEED A NEW (OLD) STONE.

I need to find a lovely old European, or OMC, or Old Cushion Cut stone, something around 7.75 mm x 7.75 mm (or greater), approximately 1.80 carats (prefer to remain under 2.00 carats). I am more concerned about CUT and FIT in my new setting over color or inclusions... I'd prefer to stay under $7500 (more like $5500-$6000) if possible.

I've worked with Adam (who is unbelievably kind) at OWD and I've placed a call in to him...also sent an email. I'm looking at Good Old Gold, ID Jewelry, Love Affair Diamonds, etc...but they don't have much old stuff online. Jewels By Grace is out of my price range.

I have a call into Caysie (who is going to hate me by the time this is done).
WILL BE SELLING MY CASABLANCA at a very affordable and reasonable price (possibly with Erica at LAD).

HELP!!!

Casablanca.2.jpg CvB Top Shot Lyre.jpg CvB Finished Lyre.JPG
First row left: 2.43 OEC in Casablanca Setting
First row right: 2.43 in new CvB Kithara Setting
Bottom row: 2.43 on my hand, in Kithara setting with 3 mm OEC Eternity Band

FOLKS...bottom pic makes everything look SMALL...much smaller truthfully than in reality!

Last edited:

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander WoW thank you so much! I saw this diamond but was unsure about the cut and the size. I am still waiting to hear from Caysie. Do you think a stone this size will sit in my basket? My basket is truly about 8.0 mm at its widest point. Gotta say my Casablanca OEC looked like a "muffin top" in the setting. For me, it's just the overall size, I am sure. I'm going to jump on eBay and ask the seller for a video...this is gorgeous! Do you like the faceting and the pattern?

Last edited:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep them both and put an old cut CZ in the casablancas (which Caysie can source) and have Caysie source the center for your new stone so you can have a one stop shop.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Keep them both and put an old cut CZ in the casablancas (which Caysie can source) and have Caysie source the center for your new stone so you can have a one stop shop.

Thanks PintoBean...I'm not a big jewelry wearer and I thought about keeping the Casablanca as a RHR but we'll see. Didn't even think about asking Caysie to find a smaller stone. Thank you!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks PintoBean...I'm not a big jewelry wearer and I thought about keeping the Casablanca as a RHR but we'll see. Didn't even think about asking Caysie to find a smaller stone. Thank you!

If you go back to Caysie, she might be willing to consign your existing stone, so you'd have more funds to work with for the new one...:whistle:

I like the faceting on the IvyRose/MyDiamondZone ring. But, I find video is really the thing needed to see if you like an old cut or not if you can't just stare at it with your own eyes. Will it fit? IDK, that is really up to Caysie to tell you given she had the CAD for the ring. She should be able to tell you what can be done to accommodate a smaller stone.

What finger size does your Casablanca fit?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm terrible with old cuts lol. I'm new to them.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander @PintoBean ...a bit above my budget but perhaps I can make an offer :shock:
What do you think of this?
I think it's pretty...seems a bit overpriced but...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-2-01-N...530129?hash=item4d6554add1:g:u4kAAOSw9YNZulGO

That turntable was hilarious. Of the whole video, you get about 6 seconds of face time. :lol-2:
It may be the lighting, but I'm not see a lot of action under the table. I'd like to see more large flashes. Maybe ask him to take a video in natural light.

Edited to add. Ask him to video it like this one.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYbLdWLB6xb/?taken-by=parksfinegroupinc

Last edited:

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock

If you go back to Caysie, she might be willing to consign your existing stone, so you'd have more funds to work with for the new one...:whistle:

What finger size does your Casablanca fit?

My Casablanca is a 5.5 and a really pretty ring. Just wish it worked for me!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Casablanca is a 5.5 and a really pretty ring. Just wish it worked for me!
Sigh. I wonder if there is a special diet for fingers... Even when a size 9 clothing, my fingers were a size 10.

Keep us posted and hopefully some other old cut lovers start to chime in for you. I know this is not what you asked for and probably too small, but what about this gorgeous asscher? Royal asschers are my step-cut perfection stone...

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-41ct-royal-asscher-cut-diamond-gia-f-si1

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander hey there's another very short video of the 2.01 stone. I found THIS and interestingly, Caysie commented on it some time back...what do you think? I love the cut and clarity...not sure about the color:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWgBsDPFiG9/?taken-by=parksfinegroupinc

The more I watch, the more I like it. His lighting does not seem to get the floral pattern to move and flattens the crown facets, but I like it. If you watch it side by side with this video of Grace's, you can see that they have similar patterns but that the lighting seem to be making the Parks look "flatter" in performance. But, I think its just bad camera setup.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/2-20ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-n-si2

On color. That is personal. I like brown tint over yellow and the flour will help lift the color in UV light (and its just plain cool).

calling Old cut lovers... @Niel @valeria101 @LLJsmom @msop04 @arkieb1 @marymm @Matthews1127

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander thank you so much for your help! I think other old cut lovers will come forward-smile. Haven't heard from Caysie...hope she isn't sore with me. I just am not a huge fan of the diamond from the Casablanca in my new setting. But my setting is unreal...it is precious!

I saw the JBG diamond and it is beyond gorgeous! Do you know...is she at all flexible with her pricing? Hate to ask but...:(2 I am going BROKE! I KNOW my Casablanca will sell but it's hard for me to put out $10,000 more. Is Grace negotiable at all?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander @PintoBean ...a bit above my budget but perhaps I can make an offer :shock:
What do you think of this?
I think it's pretty...seems a bit overpriced but...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-2-01-N...530129?hash=item4d6554add1:g:u4kAAOSw9YNZulGO

That one has some girdle issues. I'd want to send it for girdle rehab before setting in prongs. It probably has a very thin girdle in places, so that needs to be fixed to avoid more chipping since the girdle won't have much protection.

Your new ring is gorgeous! You have a great diamond and should sell pretty easily. I am not sure how much smaller would fit, though, and still look right, so I'd wait and see what Caysie says regarding size. And yes, she might be able to find a stone for you.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@diamondseeker2006 thank you so much for your honesty and help! This is the kind of assistance I need! I've gotta say, I did NOT see this on JBG earlier and I think it is beautiful. It's a bit more than I want to spend...if she could come down a bit...$7000 or a wee-bit under, I'd buy it.
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-91ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-n-vs1

I trust Grace totally. The diamond is <2 carat, which I want. I love the faceting, the pattern, the color, the warmth...everything! I wonder if it would fit? I emailed Grace but it's getting late, so.

Haven't heard from Caysie but I'm sure she's super-busy... just hope she's not angry with me. My setting is glorious...I do not like the diamond size on me one bit.

I'll take a fair amount on the Casablanca, which is a gorgeous ring. I just cannot have more rings sitting in a jewelry box. I already emailed Erica at LAD. She has another ring I own on consignment.

Anyhow, the jeweler in Ann Arbor said "anything less than 7.75 mm x 7.75 mm x depth would not work...stay above these dimensions."

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get it my solution would be to get a copy of that setting made by David Klass for your existing stone and sell the preloved CVB settings, much cheaper than having to buy another stone unless of course you want another stone, in which case I'd go for a white transitional as something different or a Custom cut OEC by Victor or GOG in a much whiter facing colour so again you have two different looking rings/stones.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
I don't get it my solution would be to get a copy of that setting made by David Klass for your existing stone and sell the preloved CVB settings, much cheaper than having to buy another stone unless of course you want another stone, in which case I'd go for a white transitional as something different or a Custom cut OEC by Victor or GOG in a much whiter facing colour so again you have two different looking rings/stones.

Thanks for your input. I'm sorry if I've confused you...it is confusing. I don't want another setting. And my current stone is way way way too much diamond for me. I do not really want to wear anything on a daily basis that is over 2 carats. It's just too blingy for me.

I have returned the 2.43 OEC to the original setting it was chosen for, the Casablanca. That ring will be sold. I'm hoping to buy a smaller stone for my new CvB setting (which I love).

We can budget a 1.75 ct to a 1.99 ct diamond. There's one out there I'm sure. If it cannot be done, that is if Caysie advises against a smaller stone in the current setting, well I may have to sell the setting sans stone at that time. The stone from the Casablanca really does not work in the new setting.

Now I'm confused-:D...but it's been a long day for me, so forgive me.

Q

Queenie60

That one has some girdle issues. I'd want to send it for girdle rehab before setting in prongs. It probably has a very thin girdle in places, so that needs to be fixed to avoid more chipping since the girdle won't have much protection.

Your new ring is gorgeous! You have a great diamond and should sell pretty easily. I am not sure how much smaller would fit, though, and still look right, so I'd wait and see what Caysie says regarding size. And yes, she might be able to find a stone for you.

I would ask Caysie to source a stone. She sourced a beautiful OEC for me a few months ago.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
I would ask Caysie to source a stone. She sourced a beautiful OEC for me a few months ago.

Yes, I am definitely leaning in this direction. I've already called her and she knew I had some concerns about putting this size diamond in my new setting when all this began back in June/July. I will not part with my setting because it is the prettiest ring I've ever owned. I love the setting.

We'll just find another diamond and sell the Casablanca when it's good to go! It will happen. It's all good!

Also, Old World Diamonds has several diamonds that look intriguing. The specs on one in particular are interesting 'cause the size might work yet it "shows" as a 1.75 carat. The diamond is is a bit over my price range but perhaps Adam has some wriggle room:

I cannot get the EGL Report Link to work but the specs are:
OEC, 1.75 ct, VS1, L Color, 7.95 mm x 7.88 mm x 4.25 mm
Table 54%, Depth 54%, Crown Height 13.6%, Crown Angle 30%, Pavilion Depth 32%
Medium Culet
Asking $8100

I've had good transactions with Adam and I trust him a lot. I also feel really comfortable with him. Adam is a sweet man. I'll call him in the morning!

Last edited:

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Wait. What? Does. Not. Compute. :eek2:

Hehe. Good luck!

I know...I hear you! You had to see the armed security guard at the jeweler I went to today in Ann Arbor Michigan. He said "Are you for real...I guard this place daily and hearing a downsize request is a first for me...a woman wanting a downsize...are you married...oh wait...yea...do you cook, too?" Hahahaha!

Yup size sensitive.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still doesn't compute, haha, but I know you'll find your perfect diamond! I'd help, but I know nada about oecs!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O.K got it. Do you want another messy but original OEC like the one you are selling, a better cut OEC or a transitional?

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
calling Old cut lovers...

IHMO, the eight petals (pavilion mains) of this one are grouped in pairs - not unlike a four-leaved clover ... inherited from the shape of the original octahedral crystal, methinks.

Symmetry is there - but a different symmetry ! The right-hand clover leaf is slightly out of alignment - onvious in the shots & the left video, not so much on the relatively more realistic view (right video), rather as I'd expect of such details ...

The proportions as per AGS sound good ... (by RBC standards - via back of the enveloped interpretation of the HCA - the proprotions are so UNUSUAL for modern RBC, that there is no chart - only a score: 3 (Ex Fire) ...)

Beyond all ... the relatively enormous crown - it seems that light reflections from it simply overwhelm all else in the photos ,-) A few named cut models took this feature up ... - I would.

The side view in one of the the videos (right) makes me think that the colour is a rather happy yellow - for what it might matter, since these are such slight tints by any standards, except colourlessness ...

2c

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a question - can it be the ring AND the band together that is causing "too much bling"? They seem to complete a little and perhaps if separated on two hands instead, there will be a nice bling balance. Your new ring is beautiful and it seems to be very delicate as well. See what Caysie says about accomodating a smaller diamond, but If I were you, I wouldn't purchase anything before a) Caysie confirms that a smaller diamond is ok b) your Casablanca and existing diamond sells c) you spend more time studying what you really want. I have been following your journey and you do seem a bit undecided at times, then go full force toward completing what you think is the "right decision" at the moment, but further end up regretting it. Nothing wrong with that, many have been there and if money was no object, it is probably ok. However, you always mention budget considerations and I would not wish for you to be disappointed and sink in more money once again before having really thought about your decision. I would probably start with some cz stones just to see what size you can actually tolerate. Maybe you can use the stone from here as a temporary "fix": https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-lab-created-center/8-mm-2-ct-oec-wink-cz-ring
Or (and I am sorry if this is breaking any PS rules) there are cheaper cz alternatives (Chris CZ) - order a bunch and see which size you actually like before you purchase another diamond.

Last edited:

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
O.K got it. Do you want another messy but original OEC like the one you are selling, a better cut OEC or a transitional?

@arkieb1 Hi...thanks for the reply! I prefer an original OEC, I'd rather not do an August Vintage or anything like that...rather have the quirkiness of an original. I would prefer something with a more organized, flowery pattern (versus my current one), if available. The one and only solitaire ever in my possession was a 1.35 Old Transitional, of which I was not a fan. That got sold about 14 years ago!

But what I prefer more than anything is AFFORDABILITY! If you can help...thank you!!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@SimoneDi thank you for your thoughtful reply. I totally hear you about the ring and yes, the hand shot is a lot of bling. And that ring is not the original "wedding band" with which I hoped to wear the new CvB ring but a different one. No, I have a few 1.8 mm to 2.0 mm bands that I will likely wear with my new ring.

Thank you for your input and yes, I totally hear you about size and confusion and all. I really wanted to love the Casablanca Setting and I do. I didn't realize it would be so much ring. I must tell you the current setting is gorgeous and it actually looks okay with wider bands, narrower bands.

I hear you about getting the right diamond fit before I do anything. And yes, my DH and I talked last night about putting a CZ in temporarily 'til my other rings sell. Funny but husband said "Ugggghhhh the new setting is so gorgeous and it looks so nice on you and you've waited so long, it seems a shame to not put the right diamond in it and put a CZ in."

This is why I'm leaning towards Adam @ OWD or someone with an affordable selection, who will take the time to find the right fit for the setting. Adam did this with the Casablanca and the results are perfection.

Honestly SimoneDi I thank you 'cause you seem like you are in the industry and you definitely are in the know. I appreciate that you've followed my journey. I am not an expert by any means but for my comfort zone and to my eye, the current stone is just a bit too much, too big, especially for the new setting. Does this make sense??

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results