shape
carat
color
clarity

My Experience Buying an Uncertified Diamond from Jewels by Grace

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How disappointing! I am sorry you had to go through all of that.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for what you've gone through. Going forward, regardless of the vendor you work with, Id recommend having the diamond sent to an independent appraiser prior to finalizing the sale.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
  • "Jewels by Erica Grace,", is that the same vender as "Jewels by Grace"?. I can't help but wonder how many others may have had similar experiences :(2 or are simply unaware that what they believed they purchased, is not what they received.....

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
  • "Jewels by Erica Grace,", is that the same vender as "Jewels by Grace"? I can't help but wonder how many others may have had similar experiences :(2 or are simply unaware that what they believed they purchased, is not what they received.....
Jewels by Erica Grace is no more; that partnership split up several years ago (probably around the time you joined PS or shortly thereafter). Erica is doing business as Love Affair Diamonds; Grace = Jewels by Grace.

There have been complaints here about each of them since then re poor communication. But this is the first time i can remember that Grace's business ethics have been called into question. I can say that the listing for the ring that Mr.Blueshift purchased is not typical of the listings I've seen on the Jewels by Grace web site. IIRC all her loose stones have an independent lab report or the listing tells you she's awaiting delivery of such a report; ring listings either have had a lab report for the center stone or where the ring has been left intact,* she's usually posted a Qualitative Pre-Sale Report from David Atlas, an independent appraiser in Pennsylvania who developed the American Gemologists Association/National Association Jewelry Appraisers Cut Class Grader & a PS Trade member who posts here on the forums as OldMiner. I have the utmost confidence in his integrity.
https://datlas.com/about/
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/AGA_NAJA_Cut_Class_Grader

Here's an example of such a Report:
DAtlals Qualitative Pre-Sale Report LJ533.jpg

* It's not at all unusual for a dealer to not pull a stone out of a antique, vintage or estate setting for grading, especially where the stone has been bezeled. As someone else noted above, GIA does not issue reports on mounted diamonds. AGS is now doing so for those in the trade (unlike GIA, the AGS lab will not deal with consumers), but its Mounted Diamond Evaluations, also presented in a card format, do not describe the stones in greater detail than what you see on David Atlas's Qualitative Pre-Sale Reports; in fact, AGS declines to estimate the weight of the diamond.
https://www.americangemsociety.org/page/diamondtrademounte

Last edited:

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry about your experience and thank you for taking the time to share. I suspect some folks might be reluctant to post about negative experiences they've had with popular vendors.

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
PintoBean: Thanks for the suggestion.

rockhoundofficiando: Agreed; that's kind of why I wanted to post this.

MollyMalone: I read what you said about the listing for the ring not being typical of the listings on JbG's website. I agree that most of the virtual or in-house stones, consigned pieces, and estate pieces, all have either independent lab reports or qualitative reports from David Atlas. However, if you look at Custom Work on her site, the listing of the ring I bought is quite typical. Of the 122 items listed there (43 necklaces, 31 rings, 25 bracelets, 22 earrings and 1 brooch), only 26 items have independent lab reports, and an additional 11 have or are awaiting a qualitative report from David Atlas. That leaves 85 that have neither. Rings are more likely to have something, as 17/31 were graded and one had a qualitative report. However, that still leaves 13/31 (42%) that have neither, like the one I bought.

To be clear, none of the concerns I raised with Grace involved David Atlas, assuming of course he doesn't help her with the estimates that have no reports. The jewelry pieces that I would be most concerned about would be those NOT reported on by him and not independently graded.

JLW05: Yes I think you're right, as it can be risky and time-consuming to do so.

Last edited:

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
My original intent was to keep the vendor anonymous, but since the name has come out, does someone know how I could edit the title to include the vendor's name?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original intent was to keep the vendor anonymous, but since the name has come out, does someone know how I could edit the title to include the vendor's name?
To edit anything after the time lapse hit report concern which pops up when you hover over the 3 lines next to the date and time.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MrBlueshift - THANKS for the analysis of the Custom Work pages! I never paid any attention to that link because it's not a top-of-the-page tab, and because it's sandwiched in between About Me and Testimonials in the footers, I assumed Custom Work described the process of a JbG custom order, which isn't something of interest to me personally.

I included the information about David Atlas for current-future readers of this thread who don't know about him & therefore might feel iffy about trusting his judgment.

As a general fyi since the original post includes "Rap" numbers: Rap numbers do not reflect a compilation of prices paid by consumers in the preceding week. Nor are the numbers, couched as price/carat, "the wholesale price" (there is no such thing) for the diamonds in each of its categories. Its prices also are not the mean or median ones actually paid by those in the trade in the preceding week. Rather, the figures in the various categories are a barometer of the high, asking prices -- for cash sales to those in the trade. My late father-in-law was a diamond dealer here in NYC (strictly wholesale); were he alive, I'm sure he would give this article by Neil Beaty (PS Trade member denverappraiser) a big thumbs-up, for it does a good job of explaining why Rap's B2B tools are essentially meaningless for us consumers:
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/why_isn’t_rapaport_pricing_important_consumers
Whiteflash has a nice informative section about Rap on this page:
https://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-prices
These 2 pages from the Rapaport Group itself are the portal pages for more info about the Rapaport Price List & the RapNet Price List; the latter explains the difference between the 2 lists:
http://www.diamonds.net/Prices/RapaportPriceGuide.aspx
http://www.diamonds.net/Prices/RapNetPriceGuide.aspx

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for what you've gone through. Going forward, regardless of the vendor you work with, Id recommend having the diamond sent to an independent appraiser prior to finalizing the sale.
PB, do you mean that everyone should seek a pre-purchase independent appraisal even where the loose stone has a GIA or AGS report or is that recommendation meant just for stones that have no report or one from a lab like EGL Israel (eek!)?

*** The jewelry pieces that I would be most concerned about would be those NOT reported on by [David Atlas] and not independently graded. ***
My deep apologies for neglecting to previously say that I imagine any reader of this thread now shares this concern -- and appreciates you alerting us. Thank you!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PB, do you mean that everyone should seek a pre-purchase independent appraisal even where the loose stone has a GIA or AGS report or is that recommendation meant just for stones that have no report or one from a lab like EGL Israel (eek!)?
I strongly recommend it to people who are buying online for the first time, internationally, when I refer a friend to a vendor, etc.

Gosh especially my friends!!! I don't want them to think I'm feeding them bull when I recommend certain vendors and GIA and AGS reports and tell them that they are making a good purchase in comparison to Zales. They usually feel good about their purchase but after going to an independent appraiser boy do they feel GREAT and confident about their purchase.

I remember being new to PS and following along and making purchases from recommended vendors and feeling kinda good about my purchases but when I went to an independent appraiser and he verified that what I bought matched the specs on paper and what I paid for was a good price that made me feel more confident about following experienced PSers.

Now that I'm 7 years deep lolol i actually have vendor(s) that will let me know if they have something they think I'd be interested in - like my EC Miami. I don't feel like I need to go get an independent appraiser anymore bc my vendor(s) know my tolerances.

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
PintoBean: Thanks, that's what I tried a few days ago, and haven't heard back yet.

MollyMalone: You're welcome, and I agree that's a difficult link to find. But it seems to be the only way to find which pieces she put together herself because they aren't individually labeled as such that I could see. I'm not sure why she doesn't hold her own pieces to the same standard as the rest of them, which seem to have a much higher percentage that are either graded or given a report by David Atlas. When Grace referred to her bench/in-house appraiser, I don't know who that was but I assumed that was not David Atlas, since he's an independent appraiser located out-of-state. Thanks for linking to info on Rap numbers. While they might be a good guideline for upper-bounding the cost, a better indicator of how good a deal you're getting might be to compare the price to similar pieces by the same vendor. I just wanted to illustrate how different the guideline is between the grade we were told and the actual grading, and that her pricing seemed to be based more on the actual grading. Since the Rap pricing doesn't even go down to N, nor does it consider brown undertones, the value provided is a good upper bound for that stone.

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
Oh, wow. That is quite the unsettling adventure.
Buying for highly reputable, trusted, recommended vendors seems to warranty buyers from having this happen. Customers TRUST the seller to be honest, genuine and trustworthy and that their professional word or opinion is reliable. And that they will stand by their work.
Beautiful ring but totally misrepresented.

My personal adventure in PS world started when I wanted an old cut diamond.
I dealt with many vendors in my quest.
Found my holly grail from someone else, but it was not graded yet and my vendor ( NOT Grace) was sending it to AGS anyway. I loved the diamond and it came back exactly within her appraisal, but the specs puzzled me. She was so gracious and spend so much time educating me and telling me that she would not sell it to me until I FELT totally at peace and happy with my stone and ring. So vendors can (and should) be honest, and have their customers satisfaction at heart.

I can't imagine discovering fortuitously that you have been cheated, mislead by a trusted vendor must have felt pretty bad and then given the run around and BS treatment.
I really hope that Grace learns from this and really take it to heart to be transparent and does right towards her customers in all circumstances.
This is really poor tactics and deceitful.
Also, I am sorry this still feels like she did not do the right thing and has not corrected this, so YOU feel it has not been resolved properly (you still feel cheated and that in my book is just not OK).
IMO, if she could not come up with a stone with the represented specs for the same price, she should have bit the bullet and made it right at HER cost. This is business. Business is based greatly on reputation and honesty and , in my opinion, even more so this business, where word of mouth and prior customers experiences are valued.
She should have gotten you a stone and setting for what you paid in the specs you paid for, like her reputation depended on it. She did not, and in a long winded way.Then she did not issue a full refund. (I would have offered that as a vendor, even with the setting being undone). Why? Because 5 color grades and VS2 to SI. Come on, HUGE mistake, HUGGGGE mistake. "My reputation as a vendor is at stake here, let's do this right" is all I could think of.
And then add all the shifting, pfffff.
I am sorry you went through this.
I am sorry (but glad to know) that Grace did not come out as serious and upright.
What a double let down. What a shame. I hope you find a new fun ring for your wife.
I hope this is a lesson for sellers that if you make a mistake (or are caught in a misrepresentation), your best course of action is to make your customer whole. This is best business practice.
Reputation in this business amount to a LOT.
Your word is what you can go on, honor it.
MrBlueshift , I really appreciate that you took the time to tell us about this in as impartial a way you could have, and I am sorry it was not resolved in a way that you feel OK about, like it leaves a sour taste in your mouth still.
Good luck in finding a new ring.

Last edited:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is so unfortunate! t's such a unique ring too. I'm so sorry that this happened to you...

Bur its a good lesson for us all. Lol now i'm side eyeing some jewelry in my closet.:think:

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
Phanie: Thank you for your detailed post. My wife and I really appreciate your support and thoughts on the subject.

Metall: Thanks, and I hope you’ll have your uncertified jewelry appraised. That way you’d have peace of mind going forward. :)

I hope you all won’t mind if I share my final thoughts on this ordeal.

I gave Grace every opportunity to own up to her deceitful behavior and to do the right thing. During this entire process she’s shown no remorse, and only started offering me her non-apologies* (as if plucked straight from the DMV customer service manual) after I’d posted my review online.

The ONE thing I asked of her was to directly answer two questions I had which would help me understand the truth. I even gave her my word that I would keep her answers between us, off the thread.

She never responded. I guess no surprise there.

I’ve since given up knowing the absolute truth. IMO, I don’t believe she’s taken any of this to heart, and I think the only change she’ll make is to have everything officially graded or independently appraised in the future. Not because she wants to, but because she has to.

*One of Grace’s non-apologies:
I do take full responsibility for this. It’s my name on the banner and everything ought to start and end with me - I know that.
I am so sorry for the entire experience - I work hard to make sure everyone has a good and happy experience with us and I obviously 1000% failed in this regard.

Grace, if you deceive your clients from the start, then I can safely say that you aren’t working that hard to ensure that everyone has a good and happy experience with you.

If you treated me this way after I bought $15k worth of merchandise (this ring and one other item, an ungraded diamond pendant), I can’t imagine how you might treat those who spend less, or your consignors.

And to think my wife nearly gave the ring as a gift to someone, who at the time needed a bit of financial help. That person would have been SOL if they’d tried to sell the ring on. In addition my wife told you this purchase was the first baby step toward a larger purchase of a $50k-$100k+ ring. You knew that she was trying to build a long-term relationship with a vendor so that she’d eventually feel comfortable spending so much on a single piece. The idea of dropping so much money on one ring is scary for her! Instead of building a positive vendor-client relationship, you chose to perpetuate your lie and further insult her trust by assuring her she was getting an AMAZING deal for a stone of that caliber. That’s pretty messed up.

I look forward to receiving my refund (hopefully you’ll have your bookkeeper write it in the correct amount this time), and I wish you good luck with your business.

MrBlueshift

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry about what happened to you, OP. ;( Especially that you found out via their own video that they'd straight up lied by telling you they'd graded your stone after it was set... inexcusable.

I just wanted to chime in to say that I had a very bad experience with Grace of Jewels by Grace as well.

Very long story short, I sent my setting to be consigned on her site. For weeks and weeks she kept assuring me it would be listed in the newsletter... it was not. During the time I was waiting for it to be listed, I had someone contact me who was ready to buy it for a family member to use for an upcoming proposal. I told the buyer it was available from Jewels by Grace, and gave her Grace's email and phone number. The buyer contacted me after a week or so to say that she'd been trying to contact Grace, but no answer. I emailed Grace for the umpteenth time to verify when the listing would be up, and again she assured me it would be up "next week" in the next newsletter. A week and another newsletter came and went and still no listing. After 2.5 weeks of trying to buy my setting, the buyer contacted me and said that she had basically given up trying to reach Grace to purchase and had to go with another setting.

Grace's excuses and lies cost me the sale of my setting... I was LIVID. It's been a year and a half, and I'm still trying to sell it -- this time with a wonderful vendor who has followed through on every single thing she has promised. Novel concept, right??

I asked Grace to send the setting back, and she answered me promptly and said she'd return it. Why she didn't answer the calls and emails from the buyer is beyond me.

To add insult to injury was the actual return of my setting. I sent it in a nice mahogany and leather presentation box... it was returned in a ziplock bag. So at the end of the day, I lost the sale of my setting and even the freaking box it came in... I didn't even bother contacting her. It's not about the box at all; that's just the nail in the coffin for the horrendous level of service that was given at almost every facet of my experience with her. I've mentioned this experience in another "bad Grace experience" thread, but never started my own because I just didn't feel like seeing the backlash from JbG fangirls that others have experienced.

I understand that each vendor will have it's slip-ups and unsatisfied customers. However, after multiple bad reviews regarding her lack of ethics, excuse after excuse for why she'd dropped the ball, and the lack of remorse/failure to make it right, I now see this a disturbing trend with Grace/JbG.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you treated me this way after I bought $15k worth of merchandise (this ring and one other item, an ungraded diamond pendant), I can’t imagine how you might treat those who spend less, or your consignors.

It's been suggested several times by different PS members that Grace's level of service is directly proportional to the amount of $$$ she'll make off the sale...

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience with JbG as well! This is really upsetting and I would be very upset about that box! Ziplock!? Are you kidding me?! eBay stuff from China come with better packages! But obviously it is more upsetting about the lost sale, such a shame really :(

I have admired much of her inventory, but these stories are really making me explore new antique diamond/jewelry vendors.

I am sorry about both of your experiences.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all so disappointing to hear. Everyone can make a mistake, but it it is extremely important for vendors to represent all diamonds accurately. It's a shame David Atlas didn't evaluate that particular piece because surely it wouldn't have been off by that much.

@MrBlueshift I think the refund check needs to be for the full amount. You trusted the specs on the listing when you had the stone removed from the setting to reset. I just think that kind of error warrants a full refund for the entire piece.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry about what happened to you, OP. ;( Especially that you found out via their own video that they'd straight up lied by telling you they'd graded your stone after it was set... inexcusable.

I just wanted to chime in to say that I had a very bad experience with Grace of Jewels by Grace as well.

Very long story short, I sent my setting to be consigned on her site. For weeks and weeks she kept assuring me it would be listed in the newsletter... it was not. During the time I was waiting for it to be listed, I had someone contact me who was ready to buy it for a family member to use for an upcoming proposal. I told the buyer it was available from Jewels by Grace, and gave her Grace's email and phone number. The buyer contacted me after a week or so to say that she'd been trying to contact Grace, but no answer. I emailed Grace for the umpteenth time to verify when the listing would be up, and again she assured me it would be up "next week" in the next newsletter. A week and another newsletter came and went and still no listing. After 2.5 weeks of trying to buy my setting, the buyer contacted me and said that she had basically given up trying to reach Grace to purchase and had to go with another setting.

Grace's excuses and lies cost me the sale of my setting... I was LIVID. It's been a year and a half, and I'm still trying to sell it -- this time with a wonderful vendor who has followed through on every single thing she has promised. Novel concept, right??

I asked Grace to send the setting back, and she answered me promptly and said she'd return it. Why she didn't answer the calls and emails from the buyer is beyond me.

To add insult to injury was the actual return of my setting. I sent it in a nice mahogany and leather presentation box... it was returned in a ziplock bag. So at the end of the day, I lost the sale of my setting and even the freaking box it came in... I didn't even bother contacting her. It's not about the box at all; that's just the nail in the coffin for the horrendous level of service that was given at almost every facet of my experience with her. I've mentioned this experience in another "bad Grace experience" thread, but never started my own because I just didn't feel like seeing the backlash from JbG fangirls that others have experienced.

I understand that each vendor will have it's slip-ups and unsatisfied customers. However, after multiple bad reviews regarding her lack of ethics, excuse after excuse for why she'd dropped the ball, and the lack of remorse/failure to make it right, I now see this a disturbing trend with Grace/JbG.
Ah Msop, I’m so sorry you had such an awful experience too. Thanks for chiming in and I hope you find another buyer SOON!!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ThIs is horrible. I'd be ready to kil after this. OK, not really kill, but my imagination might go there.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah Msop, I’m so sorry you had such an awful experience too. Thanks for chiming in and I hope you find another buyer SOON!!

Thanks! I hope so too!! :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ThIs is horrible. I'd be ready to kil after this. OK, not really kill, but my imagination might go there.

I was REALLY upset... and even more so because my setting is STILL up for consignment. ;(

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience with JbG as well! This is really upsetting and I would be very upset about that box! Ziplock!? Are you kidding me?! eBay stuff from China come with better packages! But obviously it is more upsetting about the lost sale, such a shame really :(

I have admired much of her inventory, but these stories are really making me explore new antique diamond/jewelry vendors.

I am sorry about both of your experiences.

It wasn't a true Ziplock bag, but it was clear plastic with a zip securing thingy... you get my point though... ;(

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wasn't a true Ziplock bag, but it was clear plastic with a zip securing thingy... you get my point though... ;(

Right, I got it.. totally not cool. That just shows careless behavior toward your setting that you trusted her with. I am sorry that it happened :(

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
msop04: Sorry to hear you had a bad experience as well, but I really appreciate you sharing it. Neglecting to return your box with your consignment item just showed the lack of respect she had for items you entrusted to her care, and is a reflection of how she might handle things in more important situations. Grace treated my wife similarly when she sent in some pieces for consignment and later asked for them back -- a T&Co pouch and box were missing when we got back the items. Grace has also repeatedly shown a complete lack of communication, an unwillingness to take accountability for her actions, and a certain apathetic tone when she's confronted with criticisms. I'm glad other people have had positive outcomes with JbG and don't have anything negative to say, but it's sad when someone who does have an experience to share omits it due to the fear of how others might react. If it's not too much trouble, could you provide a link to the other thread you referred to? Anyway, I hope your setting sells soon!

diamondseeker2006: I intentionally waited to post my review until after the refund had been resolved so as to not have her change her mind and pretend it wasn't because of the potential bad publicity. She had almost three months to do the right thing, and chose not to. At this point I would refuse a full refund if she ever offered it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the full refund should have been offered at the outset and not now. You are a wise and very fair man, MrBlueshift. Your wife is very fortunate to have a husband who takes an active interest in her jewelry and wants her to have lovely pieces. Of course, she is very special, as well! You have my very best wishes for finding wonderful additions to her collection going forward!

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
At what point does a vendor go from trusted vendor to not, and were there any such case in the past?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results