shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on the diamond cts/mm sizes for use in cluster design

Icy Melona

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I bought myself a coloured gemstone which is 1.29ct, cushion cut and has dimension of 6.49mm x 6.19mm x 3.58mm. I saw a design on Leon Mege and I love the look of this design. I want to source the diamonds myself but I have asked a jeweller what size diamonds I will need for the cluster and I've been advised that I should look for approx. 6mm x2.8mm for RB and approx 5mm x2.9mm for the pears. I'm wondering if these size stones will be too disproportionate to the centre stone since the gemstone is also around 6mm. What size diamonds would be a better fit for the design I have in mind? Thank you!
ruby-gem-446506a.jpg R6319 4wy (2).jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6mm rounds are almost as big as your center stone (they will be huge and out of proportion with the center stone). I would think about half the
size of your center stone would be better. 3 - 4mm would be about what you would want. That would be 12 ptrs to 20 ptrs.

But...in reality, I think you should let your jeweler source these stones so you dont end up buying stones that wont work. Who is going to do the
setting for you? David Klass would be a good candidate. He will do cads for you so you will pretty much know what the finished ring will look like.

You can also get graph paper (or make your own) and draw out the size of your main stone with different size side stones to get a feel for what size
side stones you want.

maryred

Rough_Rock
I love the shapes you're combining. I have a ring with a very similar look..I hope this information helps. I provided the round stones and the center tsavorite, and the jeweler sourced the pears for a perfect fit.

Oval = 7.62 x 5.59 x 3.83 (1.23 ct.)
Rounds = 2.6 (7-8 pts. each)
Pears = 5.5 x 3.5 (25 pts. each)

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's beautiful maryred!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree with tyty, 6mm rounds will likely be too big for the cluster design you want.

If you working with a jeweler, CADs usually give you a fair idea of what to look for - do they have the ability to create that for you?

As a side note - the design is fantastic, I like the vintage-y feel of it :)

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think OP meant 6 - 2.8mm rounds, not 6mm.

That LM ring is STUNNING!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You absolutely need to have CADs done first to get the exact sizes needed. That was very dangerous advice your jeweler gave you beacause the sizes of all 8 stones have to be exact to fit! I'd want the ring vendor to source and match the halo stones. They'll likely be smaller than individually graded stones, and ring makers almost always source these themselves.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great setting inspiration-
Please tell more about the center stone though. Pretty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results