shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you planning something special for the solar eclipse?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2017 solar eclipse should be visible throughout the United States, and the "path of totality" cuts a narrow arc across the US, from Oregon to North Carolina. Many towns and cities along the path of totality festivals and celebrations planned, and are expecting masses of visitors on the day of the eclipse.

Are you making plans to see the eclipse? Will you be traveling to be in or near the path of totality? How far would or will you travel to be on or nearer the path of totality?

I was totally awed by the last near-total eclipse I experienced - not sure exactly when it was, but the effects of the eclipse on shadows totally entranced me. So the possibility of experiencing a total eclipse really intrigued me. Since my sweetie and I were planning a road trip for this time anyway, we decided we might as well might as well put ourselves somewhere along the path of totality on the 21st! We've planned our trip so we'll be with friends in Nashville, Tennessee - about 2,300 miles from home! - on the day of the eclipse. :sun:

Another site we considered was Madras, Oregon, which we passed through a few weeks ago. That very small town is planning a very large solar eclipse festival for that weekend, including a large temporary camp ground set up at the county fairgrounds. Apparently hotels rooms there were sold out over a year in advance, and tie-downs at the local airstrip are now fully booked. Intriguing... and historically more likely to have clear skies :lol: but it didn't work as well with our "path of roadtrip."

So - what have you got planned for the great solar eclipse of 2017?

ETA - I enjoyed this NPR story about the wonders of experiencing a solar eclipse: http://www.npr.org/2017/08/07/54208...eographer-makes-case-to-witness-solar-eclipse

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for you guys! :dance:

I won't be in the path of totality (too far north) but I am excited to see it. I'm hoping we still get to see something. :D

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We are heading to Greenville, SC (Clemson specifically, about 2 hours from home) to see totality. We are taking our kids out of school, as we expect traffic to be horrendous, and want to get there on Saturday afternoon and see the sights. We are super excited! I doubt I'll be alive for the next total eclipse in 2078.

Check out the Solar Eclipse Timer app created by a plastic surgeon in MS who has chased eclipses around the world. You plug in longitude and latitude and it verbally tells you to the second when each phase of the eclipse starts/ends and when to look for shadow bands, Baily's beads, etc.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH will be in Bend OR to witness the event. I've chosen to get the best view on TV and am staying home rather than being part of the throng of people who will be there.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had wanted to take my darling daughter (space and all things science enthusiast) but sadly it won't come together in time. I will have to locate a good viewing station on tv.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I won't be in a place where I'll be able to view it in totality. We will be on the Space Coast though. The eclipse is the day after my mom's birthday so they'll be doing all types of activities there (they will get to see it in totality)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'll have 95% totality here. No plans yet, but it would probably be a good idea to make some to remember this special event.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are planning a big road trip to South Carolina with all my husband's brothers meeting up for 2 nites to see the eclipse. Then we are off to Austin and Bentonville to see our sons and then to PA to see a friend from high school in Lancaster PA and then home. .. Looking forward especially to spendng time with my sons and DIL.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Takate, like especially for the eclipse?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes we are going to SC just for the eclipse. We are a bunch of over 60s (okay one bro s 56) and we are retired and all are programmers.. so they picked a spot they thought was the best using the scientific method ;-)

I saw a total solar eclipse in the 60s when I was in 4th grade and I remember it well so this is basically a trip for me to see my boys :):wavey:

Takate, like especially for the eclipse?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My DH volunteered me to make arrangements--and I LOL. Places have been booked for at least a year and it is no easy feat to get anywhere to see the eclipse from here. It is too late for us--and even tho it will be cool I just pull rabbits out of hats.

cheers--Sharon

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be on the beach at the Cape! Won't see it in totality, but should be able to see partial eclipse...

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hoping for nice weather, to see the partial eclipse from home.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found out that our office administrator ordered those special viewing glasses and will "let us go outside for a few minutes to see it" on the 21st. Nevermind that we'd probably see it better from inside the IDS building on the top floor than from "outside" in the in the shadow of the IDS, and that it won't be a total eclipse anyway.

But, get this, she ordered "extra" glasses so that we can buy them for 1.25 each if we happen to want our special people to be able to view the not total eclipse (for more than a few minutes) (and from wherever they are not among the skyscrapers).

LOL.

@Arcadian I have the same bday as your mom. We are so cool :geek:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are heading to Greenville, SC (Clemson specifically, about 2 hours from home) to see totality. We are taking our kids out of school, as we expect traffic to be horrendous, and want to get there on Saturday afternoon and see the sights. We are super excited! I doubt I'll be alive for the next total eclipse in 2078.

Check out the Solar Eclipse Timer app created by a plastic surgeon in MS who has chased eclipses around the world. You plug in longitude and latitude and it verbally tells you to the second when each phase of the eclipse starts/ends and when to look for shadow bands, Baily's beads, etc.

Yenny!!! We are taking our daughter back to college 20 minutes from there on Sunday!!! I am very fearful about the traffic! Clemson may be having back to school traffic, too, so I can't believe the timing of all of this! I wish we could get together! We couldn't get a hotel room anywhere near the colleges!

Anyway, after we leave our daughter, we are going up to the NC mountains for the eclipse. We have three cities with either a home or relatives, so we chose the mountains since it is closest to where we will be on Sunday. We would have partial at home, but my husband is determined to be in the total band, but the weather will determine whether we actually see it or not!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yenny!!! We are taking our daughter back to college 20 minutes from there on Sunday!!! I am very fearful about the traffic! Clemson may be having back to school traffic, too, so I can't believe the timing of all of this! I wish we could get together! We couldn't get a hotel room anywhere near the colleges!

Anyway, after we leave our daughter, we are going up to the NC mountains for the eclipse. We have three cities with either a home or relatives, so we chose the mountains since it is closest to where we will be on Sunday. We would have partial at home, but my husband is determined to be in the total band, but the weather will determine whether we actually see it or not!

@diamondseeker2006 Awww, so close, yet so far away! I wish we could visit too! It's been way too long! We are re-thinking Clemson anyway, just because I do think it's going to be INSANE and I'm even more concerned about getting home afterwards than I am with getting there to see the eclipse. My kids have to be up at 6:15 for school on Tuesday morning! We've had our hotel booked for months too. How lucky that you have friends/family/choices of places to view the eclipse! I'm also concerned about the weather, which could greatly impact visibility. I'm also starting to worry a bit about the safety of our glasses too. Ours are American made and on the NASA list, but there's so much stuff out there about some of them not being safe. Fingers crossed that the stars (and sun/moon!!!) align so that we can see a spectacular sight on August 21st!!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing planned, but I'm really looking forward to seeing whatever I can of it. I've experienced a partial eclipse on a sunny day before, and it was weird. The light went a kind of caramel color, like that swirly brown glass from the Seventies, and the birds stopped singing. It went a little cold, too.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found out that our office administrator ordered those special viewing glasses and will "let us go outside for a few minutes to see it" on the 21st. Nevermind that we'd probably see it better from inside the IDS building on the top floor than from "outside" in the in the shadow of the IDS, and that it won't be a total eclipse anyway.

But, get this, she ordered "extra" glasses so that we can buy them for 1.25 each if we happen to want our special people to be able to view the not total eclipse (for more than a few minutes) (and from wherever they are not among the skyscrapers).

LOL.

@Arcadian I have the same bday as your mom. We are so cool :geek:

I ordered viewing glasses and after receiving them Amazon sent me an email saying that the vendor has not replied to their request to verify whether the glasses are NASA approved. They have told us NOT to use them. They even refunded my money. I'm pretty sad now as I don't think I'll get the approved glasses delivered to my grown kids in time.
I also saw a story about a gentleman who lost his sight in one eye looking at an eclipse many years ago.
Sigh....I guess I'll watch on tv or make a makeshift seventh grade paper plate viewer. :geek2:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please be careful. I was at my eye doctor yesterday for my routine exam. He is furious about those viewing glasses! He said people are going to really harm their eyes.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I recollect, I've only been in the path of a totality once in my life. That was enough for me. I'm nowhere near it this time. If the tv is off that day, it's very likely I'll completely blank that it is even happening. My memory is certainly not what it used to be!:eek2:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing planned, but I'm really looking forward to seeing whatever I can of it. I've experienced a partial eclipse on a sunny day before, and it was weird. The light went a kind of caramel color, like that swirly brown glass from the Seventies, and the birds stopped singing. It went a little cold, too.
I remember that from prior partial eclipses - that, and how cool the shadows cast by leaves and trees looked. I'm hoping we'll be able to see stars and planets during the daytime.

BTW we're en route to TN now, and staying in a lot of out-of-the way spots, so not posting a lot right now... ;-)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ordered viewing glasses and after receiving them Amazon sent me an email saying that the vendor has not replied to their request to verify whether the glasses are NASA approved. They have told us NOT to use them. They even refunded my money. I'm pretty sad now as I don't think I'll get the approved glasses delivered to my grown kids in time.
I also saw a story about a gentleman who lost his sight in one eye looking at an eclipse many years ago.
Sigh....I guess I'll watch on tv or make a makeshift seventh grade paper plate viewer. :geek2:
The American Astronomical Society is exasperated by Amazon's indiscriminate "recall," which put the kibosh on eclipse viewing glasses that are A-OK. List of the approved eyewear here:
http://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/index.ssf/2017/08/amazon_made_the_problem_worse.html

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The American Astronomical Society is exasperated by Amazon's indiscriminate "recall," which put the kibosh on eclipse viewing glasses that are A-OK. List of the approved eyewear here:
http://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/index.ssf/2017/08/amazon_made_the_problem_worse.html

Molly, thank you so much. Turns out my glasses are approved after all by AAS. Here's a link to know exactly what to look for! Again, thank you!! :geek: We are back in business!

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-tell-if-your-solar-eclipse-glasses-are-safe-or-fake/

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love astronomy and I am only 70 miles from totality but I am watching from home. I didn't book a hotel room in time and I don't see myself living in a tent for the weekend. My husband is camping in the mountains so I'll get to hear all about it.

We are going to be eclipsed about 98% here. I have eclipse glasses, solar binoculars and a solar filter for my 4" telescope so I'll be checking it off and on while watching NASA TV.

Safety tip - always check your eclipse glasses before looking at the sun. Even if you take them off to go to the little PS room. Put them on, look at the sky away from the Sun and if you don't see a thing they are safe. If you can see the sky - throw them away.

A few of my Teddy Bears are ready :lol-2:

eclipetb.png

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At Crater of the Diamonds Park now. Heading to Nashville in a few hours. That diamond hunting stuff isn't for the faint of heart - especially I summertime heat and humidity! But it's been on my "bucket list" for a long time and I'm glad to be here. Here's hoping for good eclipse conditions!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talked to my mom today. They got the glasses I sent them (they're on the approved list) and her and her sisters/brothers and grand kids will be able to see the eclipse.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Having a few friends over to watch the eclipse and have been playing with an afternoon cocktail. Came up with this- The Eclipser L1060819.jpg L1060817.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to close all the windows, pull all the blinds shut and hide under my bed until its over.

Otherwise, how can I ignore the temptation to gaze skyward. :lol-2:

Reactions: ame

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was super bummed that I didn't get the glasses in time, but when I got to work this morning there was a pair on my desk. Apparently our firm ordered them for everyone!

Sister #1 is down in Trenton, MO with the 'rents. The are pretty much right in the path of totality. If I had thought of it ahead of time I would have driven down too. Oh well, maybe for the next one! :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay , just make sure those glasses are ISO approved for the solar eclipse!
Your interior design and decorating skills will, no doubt, be in hot demand having seen photos of your lovely house boat!
=)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results