shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this considered bead set or pave or.....?

PTVA

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys!
I had a ring made and am trying to determine what the band stone settings are considered. Are they Pave? Bead set? Something else entirely? A combination of 2 setting types? The jeweler was a bit ambiguous and it seems that there is overlap in terminology. Sorry the images are not more clear. I was not able to get super focused. I was concerned about ultrasonic cleaning if this is considered pave. The ring gets dirty rather quickly which I guess is expected considering the design, so i am looking for a home cleaning device. UC, Steam, etc. and want to make sure I am not going to cause unnecessary problems as I have read that UC, although effective, can cause stones to loosen.

Thanks for the help!
ApplicationFrameHost_2017-08-20_14-03-09.png

ApplicationFrameHost_2017-08-20_14-02-06.png ApplicationFrameHost_2017-08-20_14-11-26.png
ApplicationFrameHost_2017-08-20_14-10-53.png

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It appears the diamonds are bead set in the band...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...or channel set with shared prongs...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look like bead set to me. We (pricescopers) usually refer to pave as the little diamonds that are in a halo or on the shank of a setting and
not as the way they are set.
Like we would refer to your setting as having 3 sided pave (3 sides of the shank are covered with little diamonds). How are the set? Looks like
bead set to me. They dont look like channel set to me because the edge of the stones do not look like they go under the metal (plus they have
beads or prongs

Pretty setting BTW...If I owned that setting I would use a steamer for good cleaning and regular jewelry cleaner with a light brushing for everyday
cleaning. For the steamer cleaning you would also do the light brushing to start with.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look like bead set to me. We (pricescopers) usually refer to pave as the little diamonds that are in a halo or on the shank of a setting and
not as the way they are set.
Like we would refer to your setting as having 3 sided pave (3 sides of the shank are covered with little diamonds). How are the set? Looks like
bead set to me. They dont look like channel set to me because the edge of the stones do not look like they go under the metal (plus they have
beads or prongs

Pretty setting BTW...If I owned that setting I would use a steamer for good cleaning and regular jewelry cleaner with a light brushing for everyday
cleaning. For the steamer cleaning you would also do the light brushing to start with.

My initial answer definitely seems most likely: bead set. I agree. Melee is much smaller...and pave seems to lay in narrow rows or clusters on the shank.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That illustrative diagram from Casting House in post #4 is the first time I've ever seen anyone limit the definition of pavé to where there are "3 or more rows of diamonds" adjacent to each other.

If you've not already seen them, check out these articles from master jewelers Victor Canera and Leon Megé; you'll see that pavé has historically involved bead work
1.gif

https://www.victorcanera.com/education/jewelry/pave-styles
https://www.leonmege.com/pave-types-in-jewelry
VC speaks about micro-pavé in the introductory section of his article; here's LM's longer treatment of that topic:
https://www.leonmege.com/reading-room/micro-pave

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That illustrative diagram from Casting House in post #4 is the first time I've ever seen anyone limit the definition of pavé to where there are "3 or more rows of diamonds" adjacent to each other.

If you've not already seen them, check out these articles from master jewelers Victor Canera and Leon Megé; you'll see that pavé has historically involved bead work
1.gif

https://www.victorcanera.com/education/jewelry/pave-styles
https://www.leonmege.com/pave-types-in-jewelry
VC speaks about micro-pavé in the introductory section of his article; here's LM's longer treatment of that topic:
https://www.leonmege.com/reading-room/micro-pave

I was confused by that, in the illustration. I've seen pave' in fewer rows than 3...??? No wonder people get confused!!! :confused:

PTVA

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the helpful info. So based on what I have read, it looks all the stones in the band are non shared prong bright cut bead set pave' (Each stone has it's own 4 prongs, not shared) and I should not be too worried about ultrasonic causing issues.

Does anyone have recommendation for a steam cleaner? I searched the archive, and the only recommended unit is no longer available. Amazon only has one reasonably priced unit <$200 and the reviews are ... questionable at best -- GemOro. Any other suggestions?

@tyty333, thanks for the compliment. I think it turned out very well. I was originally hoping the stones in the band would graduate starting a bit larger (the largest one is just under 3mm), but it's a small gripe. I was second guessing myself throughout the whole process. Fiancée was thrilled though.

ring1.jpg

PTVA

Rough_Rock
I sourced the stone and had the ring made by a small shop in NYC. The same guys hand forged a bunch of my friends rings, so it was purely referral. If you're interested, I can forward you details.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sourced the stone and had the ring made by a small shop in NYC. The same guys hand forged a bunch of my friends rings, so it was purely referral. If you're interested, I can forward you details.

I think you should post name/etc if you are happy with the work, price, and the custom process. Its a beautiful setting.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a VERY beautiful setting. Pls post the name of the jeweler, as this is an information sharing site, and I can imagine people wanting to know more about your guy.

And...more photos? :mrgreen:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring!!! Would love to know who created this for you.

Akalahab

Shiny_Rock
Yes, would love to know! Regarding your question - yes, this is pave - the type of pave is bead set aka bright cut.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi PVTA,

I love this ring!

You can get quality home Ultrasonic cleaners online for very reasonable prices. My wife has a ring of similar style to this and uses one several times a week with no problems for her accent diamonds.

Also - and you may have already considered this - keep in mind the side stones could pose a problem if you add a wedding band - you may consider what type of spacer (if any) to use if you want to add a band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results