shape
carat
color
clarity

First time poster... the big question

Crissy_crissy

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Like most here, I have read and re read every post I can find to help with trying to pick the best diamond I can for the budget I have.

I have researched everything to death and narrowed down my selection to two. I have posted to ask if any nice person with more experience could review my selections just for some second opinions so I don't unknowingly make a massive mistake. Big big moment for me.

Budget £5-6.5k
I have narrowed the search down to:
Cut - super ideal
Colour - f or below as I want colourless to eye
Clarity - vs2 or below, looking for eye clean.
Carat - 0.85 to 0.95 ( shy 1 carat )

I have put in strict dimensions for the light return as I would love to find a rock that gives bright sparkle so well. I'm from the uk so I am looking on blue nile as they have a depot here for tax purposes.

Link 1 - https://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD03604601

Link 2 - https://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD08839586

Im leaning towards link 1 as the light return ( sparkle) looks like it could be exceptional. Only concern is the obvious crystal in the centre, I'm not sure if this would be eye clean even at vs2. Hence my hesitations and plea for help.

Any help or advice or opinions would be very much appreaciated. Hope to hear from you soon ( nervous guy here )

Crissy

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Crissy_crissy

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Thank you for the reply.
I didn't even consider contacting blue nile and asking for them to check. So obvious but didn't think it was a option, thank you will defo be doing that.

I should clarify when I mean super ideal I meant blue nile signature cut range which I believe is their best and on par with a cut above from whiteflash ( is it not the same cutting house or guy something like that)

I haven't consider any cuts below signature. Putting all the money into the cut and light return.

I love white flash a cut above range, just wasn't sure how they where with uk shipments so played it safe using blue nile.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm off to annoy blue nile to check that stone. I have never seen a scope picture with as good light return.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of these, I prefer #2 due to that crystal in #1. I also like Snowdrop13's choice (and it is a bit bigger with good performance)

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3802002.htm

It will be interesting to read what others say, but Blue Nile Signature is not usually on the list of super-ideal that you can trust without an ASET. Usually a list of 'super-ideal' for online sellers includes Whiteflash ACA, Brian Gavin Signature, HighPerformanceDiamond, and GoodOldGold Ascendency & Platinum Select (and several specialized cuts)...I may have missed a few. :wavey:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I should clarify when I mean super ideal I meant blue nile signature cut range which I believe is their best and on par with a cut above from whiteflash

As a member of the trade I will not comment specifically on stones sold elsewhere. However, I can assist in elaborating on collections like BN Signature, as opposed to diamonds held to a higher Super Ideal standard.

Super Ideal is more than just the averaged angles on a diagram. It is also the 3D precision with which they are faceted, which affects the size of the virtual facets within the diamond and that affects the size of the flashes of both white and colored light that are visible when viewing the diamond.

You might see if Blue Nile and WhiteFlash have any retailers in your area where you can see and compare their diamonds in real life. I know from experience that, even with diamonds of remarkably similar average number, there is often a substantial difference in their beauty and real-life performance.

Wink

Crissy_crissy

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the replies so far.

See, I had researched everything and now with the above tips I'm changing all my plans and have decided to purchase a whiteflash a cut above ring instead. Little dearer but guaranteed quality and better than any high street vendor price for price.

Quick question to anyone that has imported recently. What is the tax on diamond rings from whiteflash? Checked the uk tax page but couldn't make it out...

Is it vat + 2.5% duty for the diamond ring?
On a 6k budget that's a big hit. Cheaper taking a holiday over in the US and picking it up personally.

Any hints or tips from people who have recently bought from whiteflash?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I believe that would be about right. You save a bit by doing a wire transfer and P+P is free. I was so keen to get my ACA pendant I didn't really mind paying up- it would be almost impossible to get something similar here in the UK. Although there was a poster recently who was able to work with someone in London affiliated to the CBI brand.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On par with Whiteflash ACAs are HighPerformanceDiamonds.

#1 - http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9069
#2 - http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9306

HPD has been updating their website, so videos are not yet loaded, but just email and I'm sure they will send you one. #2 is a J, but really worth looking at as it gets you a bit more size and color is far less noticeable in a super-ideal . Their settings are not loaded up either, but they can certainly come up with lots of options.

With WF, I like the Sleek Line solitiare.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm
This setting is officially 4 prongs, but the profile adds some nice detail and also makes seeing the diamond color harder (that is a good thing).

If you go with yellow gold, keep the head white gold, like this.
upload_2017-7-30_13-30-47.png

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock
Quick question to anyone that has imported recently. What is the tax on diamond rings from whiteflash? Checked the uk tax page but couldn't make it out...

Is it vat + 2.5% duty for the diamond ring?
On a 6k budget that's a big hit. Cheaper taking a holiday over in the US and picking it up personally.

Yes that is correct. I got my Crafted by Infinity from Wink as I could not find anything as good in the UK.

Snowdrop13 is correct. Best Diamonds in London has now access to all Crafted by Infinity Diamonds. You can see anything you wish in store. I am based in the UK and very pleased with my purchases.
http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonds/diamonds-city

Crissy_crissy

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone that has replied. I know you must see the same posts over and over but I really appreciate the opinions and experience everyone is sharing.

Well, I took the advice and moved over to whiteflash. After lots of searching I have noticed that there seems to be a jump in cost after 0.8c (1k+) to get to 0.9 upwards which is technically 0.2mm extra when in the setting ( keeping same c,s) So I think the sweet spot for my budget is 0.8ct.

I think I have found my diamond and just posting a final comment to check with others that I'm not making a massive mistake ( something I missed)

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3842161.htm

With this setting

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...dge-solitaire-engagement-ring-2551.htm#size=6

Putting more of the budget into the setting.

Looking for final confirmation please from the more experienced ( about to pull trigger). I compared the diamonds and the others at this price had more colour in them. This one seems frosty which is nicer.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.... getting nervous now

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone is lovely, however I'm not so sure about the setting. It seems to have very large prongs for a 0.82 ct and personally I don't see the point in the extra diamonds on the shank (which will be obscured by a wedding band anyway).

How about something simpler like this,

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-729.htm

Allows you to save a bit or put some more into the diamond if you wish.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, I took the advice and moved over to whiteflash. After lots of searching I have noticed that there seems to be a jump in cost after 0.8c (1k+) to get to 0.9 upwards which is technically 0.2mm extra when in the setting ( keeping same c,s) So I think the sweet spot for my budget is 0.8ct.

Just as an insight. The reason for this is that most cutters today LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to cut steep and deep and can turn a starting crystal that can cut a super ideal 0.85 ct into a less attractive 1.00 ct that will sell for much more money. That is why, when you are looking at super ideals, you may often find a larger diameter in the 0.85 to 0.90 ct range than many of the 1.00 - 1.02 ct diamonds that you are seeing on the GIA XXX reports.

The cutters that are bidding on the starting crystals for a 1.00 that would also make an incredible super ideal 0.85 ct can pay more for the starting crystal since they will sell it for more at the 1.00 ct weight, even though it is not as attractive.

Wink

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the stone is lovely, however I'm not so sure about the setting. It seems to have very large prongs for a 0.82 ct and personally I don't see the point in the extra diamonds on the shank (which will be obscured by a wedding band anyway).

How about something simpler like this,

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-729.htm

Allows you to save a bit or put some more into the diamond if you wish.

i totally agree with this, that Tacori really wont do any justice to that stone. The setting prongs to me will make it look like a princess at first glance. The Legato above is a lot more fluid and flattering to a round stone. Or for something a little fancier with diamonds in the setting:

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...e-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-288.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...cent-motif-solitaire-engagement-ring-2651.htm Much nicer Tacori for a round stone IMO

Crissy_crissy

Rough_Rock
thank you to everyone for the help and hints.
Was originally searching bluenile and trying my best to find a gem.

After some hints done a big u turn and just reserved the above diamond from whiteflash. So excited Although she better say yes now. The staff on the chat where amazing and honest. I went with the legato

Thanks again everyone. Looking forward to seeing this ring.

Katesimone

Rough_Rock
I agree with the other posters here, I would have a careful think about that setting. The prongs are really unusual and giant, which I actually think might make the diamond look smaller.

You know her best, but that setting is pretty out there for a solitaire and will be a love it or hate it setting...If I were you I'd get a different setting that will compliment the diamond rather than compete with it. I also think you could spend a lot less on the setting and get something way nicer.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure to come back to us to share pictures! Best wishes for your proposal :appl:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great. I'm so glad you were open to learning and changing direction. The Legato will be gorgeous with your selected diamond.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash diamonds are gorgeous. And they carry some very pretty settings. But I have to throw my vote behind High Performance Diamonds / Crafted By Infinity, which you can actually SEE in the UK, and which, in my non-professional (full disclosure) opinion are the best in the biz. And when I say the best, I mean the BEST. They have a precision which leads to a level of light return I've never seen on any other diamond. I also find WF's settings to be a bit heavy and their prong work not to be on a par with some other setters.

This is not to say their rings are anything less than lovely, because they ARE very nice. But in my opinion there's better out there. For your stone, you really need to see a HP diamond; they're jaw dropping.

Crissy_crissy

Rough_Rock
IMG_4706.JPG IMG_5113.jpg

Just a final comment to again say thank you to everyone on here. I'm now officially off the market and the fiancé is over the moon with her ring. She gets ALLOT of attention with the ring and honestly I still can't get over how much the thing sparkles.

Thanks again

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring, it looks amazing on her hand! Many congratulations on your engagement.

Sparkly2017

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! Absolutely stunning ring!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. It turned out fabulous!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your engagement and beautiful ring and stone!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous!!! Congrats!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hand model!!! Ring model. WF needs to hire her!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results